Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Overlord (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 14, 2022 1:39 AM

Aug 2021
I see some people saying this is not just the generic isekai, can you explain me why?
Answers like "this show is garbage" or "this is perfect" are going to be ignored...
Jul 14, 2022 1:48 AM

Apr 2016
Wait, people do say that ?
Jul 14, 2022 1:50 AM
Sep 2008
From my perspective Overlord it isnt about just being OP and conquering the world, but how you do it, because Nazarick has enough power to conquer it all but Ainz is more careful on how to do it.
Jul 14, 2022 2:09 AM

Jul 2015
Because in this show protagonist is the evil one.
He is not bad to the bone (pun intended) though, does not commit evil all the time and sometimes he even does something noble, but overall, his morals are rather darker shade of gray.

Jul 14, 2022 2:16 AM

Feb 2021
Cus he isn't trying to kill a demon lord (I'm on s1 so if I'm wrong ignore this)
My Candies:
Jul 14, 2022 2:17 AM

Oct 2021
Well if Overlord is not from the villain pov, I would probably treat it as just another isekai, like that slime for example.
Jul 14, 2022 2:35 AM
Jul 2021
DatBoi_Theo said:
Cus he isn't trying to kill a demon lord (I'm on s1 so if I'm wrong ignore this)

you are correct---------------
Jul 14, 2022 3:06 AM

Jul 2021
This isn’t a generic Isekai because it’s a little different. The protagonist is a villain but a good guy at the same time and he is conquering the world. It also has nice some worldbuilding and characters.

Friends are nothing more than the people who you spend the fun, yet meaningless times with. When those times get rough, they aren’t there to support you.

My Mushoku Tensei Review
Jul 14, 2022 3:52 AM
Apr 2021
I found it pretty generic tbh. Just another op mc but this time he’s a bit edgy. You know the usual deal with generic isekais “I’m different because…” and it somehow turns out to not be different at all
Jul 14, 2022 4:07 AM
May 2022
He doesn’t bitch about being in another world for a straight season off the first episode he understands his role.
Jul 14, 2022 4:15 AM
Sep 2021
It’s unique. Well written, good side characters, good story, good plot.

Ainz also an amazing character, he does contradict himself a lot, but that’s in his bones. He wants to support his comrades but at the same time be on the side of the humans. Also while feeling nothing towards humans
Jul 2020
I think because the MC actually roleplays as his character, and is often surprised when everyone else thinks of him differently to how he himself as a player would do things

May 2017
The protagonist isn't really evil but because his guild was roleplaying as villains and the flavor text became reality, he has to act that way and he is sliwly losing his humanity Another great thing is the lore: the guildmembers and their mentality when they made the NPCs, the humans who are minding their own business and how the mechanics of the game affect the world and Ains' plans.
Jul 14, 2022 4:25 AM
Negator

Mar 2022
After the first arc or so, other than the occasional “video game mechanic” that is used every now and then, and the mention of Ainz being in another world, to me it genuinely feels like just a fantasy realm; with an undead ruler trying to broaden his undead kingdom. It doesn’t come off as “this guy got sent to another world, is super OP and is trying to make his way”. He already has a kingdom of loyal subordinates, and while he is trying to learn about a world he doesn’t know, it feels more like these undead are finally broadening their horizons, rather than just now arriving in this world. I haven’t watched too many Isekai yet (and some the ones I have watched so far are probably not the greatest, and are generic) but this never came off as “generic” to me in my opinion at least.
Jul 14, 2022 4:40 AM
Apr 2020
VitorP1914 said:
I see some people saying this is not just the generic isekai, can you explain me why?
Answers like "this show is garbage" or "this is perfect" are going to be ignored...

I enjoy it mainly because of the world building. The amount of time taken to just build up on the world and everything is incredible. A lot of people don't like this since all the world building leads to lots of plain parts, but because of that, whenever something happens, it feels worth the wait.

That's basically the gist of why I personally love Overlord. I'm into the stories that really go into world building and have lots of lore, so Overlord was great.
Jul 14, 2022 4:54 AM

May 2021
Well,cause i guess the protagonist is an anti hero,and the general theme is pretty similar to older isekais
Jul 14, 2022 5:02 AM
Oct 2021
Overlord is what i consider the perfect OP character in Isekai, because even though Ainz is OP, he often use his intellect together with his power, he both Open minded flexible but also can be very harsh. He's evil, through and through but his morality is very interesting, he's kind to other but doesn't hesitate doing the most heinous act against humanity if it benefits Nazarick.

He's very compassionate, thoughtful character that actually the star for the show, unlike many other Isekai, he's not self insert character and very much feels really like a real person trap inside his own avatar and really bad circumstances.
Jul 14, 2022 5:24 AM
Dec 2021
tbh I found thid show very boring its like the author is throwing some Albedo-service in each season to keep the viewers hooked and the story is the same in the first 3 seasons nothing is progressing I don't like the NPCs they all have such bland personalities except Sebas
I'm force watching to this to caught up with the ongoing fourth season hoping to see things get interesting when other players come in the world
also the starting of this isekai wasn't shown clearly we missed how much of a trash isekai mc was he in the real world
overall I give this a fair score of 6/10 (6th one is for fighting scenes yes for animation only... the spell and powerup name I found them below average)
Jul 14, 2022 5:26 AM
Apr 2022
One big thing is not only is the protagonist evil and not human, but has absolutely no qualms killing humans and this show kills off SO many characters after giving them backstory, like a new character is shown and you’re like, “I want them to succeed!” And they die the next episode.
Jul 14, 2022 5:56 AM
Apr 2015
it's about family. and that's what's so powerful about it.

but seriously the fact that he just wants to reunite with his friends and is this big imposing skeleton man makes it feel unlike all these generic isekais where it's some badly designed child who either got handed some crazy power or falls into a super specific and advantageous or disadvantagous situation by fate.
In Overlord the main character did earn everything he has, in a video game bit it still took years, and if anything he knows he didn't achieve it on his own so he wants to live up to the legacy helped create with his friends. Also how the side characters of Nazerick were created is wholly unique unto itself. it almost feels like they are the true main characters because they are the ones getting character growth. completely unique idea right there
Jul 14, 2022 6:31 AM

Jan 2021
Primarily adult cast, for starters. There is a political element to the show which, despite being pretty surface level, is enough to make the typical audience claim it has 'mature' undertones.

Openings and Endings are pretty good; especially the Endings.
Jul 14, 2022 7:21 AM
Dec 2020
VitorP1914 said:

Politics, detailed lack of self confidence for lack of better words, the constant strive to measure up to the forefathers/old friends, a defined plot, non-harem for an isekai and instead of ooo goodie tooshies characters are written off
Being human is making mistakes.
Jul 14, 2022 7:45 AM
Aug 2019
I would say it’s a little different because you always cheer for the monsters never the humans. In slime rimuru has an alliance with monsters and humans, but in overlord It’s all about his guild which is just monsters and what’s best, and Ainz is not a good guy at all but he will do anything to protect his guild.
Jul 14, 2022 9:03 AM
Jun 2022
because have a albedo
Jul 14, 2022 9:51 AM
Jun 2021
think it’s cause he’s a villain and kills the other people like a villain should. man’s actually evil. then he also has his whole world domination thing going on which is kinda interesting
Jul 14, 2022 10:14 AM
May 2021
I just like the character, also the character design are peak imo. Another point of the show is that they show different perspectives on ainz and the world (lizardmen and carne) the animation is really not that great. Also the worldbuilding is great and like the conflict and the bit of mystery (Renner usw.)
Jul 14, 2022 2:05 PM
Apr 2022
The world building is different from most common the Isekai. This is mainly due to the fact that a majority of the episodes take place from a lot of characters besides the main cast. This gives a sense of depth, as the audience gets a glimpse at the different groups that already exist in the world. The story also isn’t concerned about Ainz becoming overpowered. It makes sense how he is already strong. The buildup the story is focusing on is in two parts: Will Ainz eventually lose all his humanity and become the Overlord completely? Moments of him losing his humanity have already occurred, making Ainz an anti-hero which is different compared to most other Isekai. The second buildup is what will happen when Ainz finally comes into contact with other players similar to himself? This mystery leaves the audience looking forward to the final climax.
Jul 14, 2022 4:58 PM
Nov 2019
asal1310m said:
because have a albedo

Who’s unbelievably horny 24/7 for Ainz sama 🥵
Jul 14, 2022 6:44 PM

Apr 2022
asal1310m said:
because have a albedo

I like this one, 100% agree
To toxic fans: Atleast wait for an anime season to end before you go on tantrum.
Jul 15, 2022 4:30 AM
Nov 2021
VitorP1914 said:

I mostly watch it for the characters.
Jul 15, 2022 4:57 AM
Jan 2021
VitorP1914 said:

Because Ainz isn't trying to kill a demon king, actually, he is the demon king.
Jul 15, 2022 6:17 PM
Jul 2021
VitorP1914 said:

The reason why this is different is because the OP is actually the bad guy tho over powered as in most cases, in isekai we are used to a handsome guy who is good doing good not a skeleton with no physical attraction (to some)
Jul 18, 2022 8:12 AM
Jul 2021
It feels creative and new but I can’t put my finger on what it actually is that makes it so interesting and different from sword art online or reZero for example. I guess the characters are made more interesting?
Jul 19, 2022 1:01 AM
Jul 2020
overlord doesn't stand out guys, it's your typical issekai !:|
Jul 19, 2022 1:01 AM
Jul 2020
An_Je942 said:
I found it pretty generic tbh. Just another op mc but this time he’s a bit edgy. You know the usual deal with generic isekais “I’m different because…” and it somehow turns out to not be different at all

you my friend have anime intelligence :)
Jul 19, 2022 1:02 AM
Jul 2020
asal1310m said:
because have a albedo

honestly she's so bad of a waifu, 3/10.
Jul 22, 2022 3:28 AM
Jan 2022
adeeb91 said:
This isn’t a generic Isekai because it’s a little different. The protagonist is a villain but a good guy at the same time and he is conquering the world. It also has nice some worldbuilding and characters.

I like the fact that this whole Action of Ainz conquering the wolrd in this anime actually being sideplot is presented as the main story, although the quintessence of this scenario is, that the Witcherking wants to find his friends, if even possible and find out why he is trapped in this still unnamable World.

Imo this whole plotsystem seems interesting, and due to that kind of story structure lacking in other Isekais Overlord truly is a special one for me.
Jul 22, 2022 5:54 AM

May 2021
Its probably got to do with Ainz's (accidental) conquest of the world. Basically the demon lord we see in many isekais or even just fantasies, with us seeing the story from both perspectives.

Jul 22, 2022 5:56 AM
Jul 2018
I don't know, it just hits differently. A very different vibe compared to the rest of the Isekai
Jul 24, 2022 8:58 PM
Apr 2022
VitorP1914 said:

Traditional isekai anime tend to follow a kind of script from what I can tell. "weeb/shut in from another world is transported to a new world where they are suddenly super strong and uber goodlooking/popular but always keep their moral compass". I feel like what sets Overlord apart from traditional isekai is that Momonga is a human sure but is now pretty much an evil undead. He even literally states that his whole psyche has been changed after the change and doesnt even flinch at taking a human life where as before he might have lost his lunch at just the sight of a dead body let alone taking one himself. Also at the end of the day he didn't even care that he was in a new world he just wanred to see if anyone else experienced what he did, where as other isekai characters take a while to get used to their new environment. Also blood. lots of blood and pretty blatant sex stuff that other shows try to "hide" or use just enough to get past censorship Overlord gives zero fucks. Metal as hell, currently rewatching
Jul 29, 2022 11:24 AM

Apr 2015
Não é diferente. É o mesmo isekai harém wish-fullfiment de sempre. E o Momonga não é "vilão", é literalmente só um nerdola fracassado jogando um jogo.
Aug 6, 2022 7:18 AM
Jan 2020
because it focuses on world building and the perspectives of other characters rather than just the main isekai overpowered ainz. especially in the light novel it gives you the perspective from the weaklings and the levels of power that already existed in the world prior to ainz arriving.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Overlord Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 29, 2015

434 by hanakocheeks »»
Sep 2, 2:25 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 1, 2015

405 by hanakocheeks »»
Sep 1, 5:34 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2015

332 by hanakocheeks »»
Sep 1, 12:29 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2015

371 by hanakocheeks »»
Aug 31, 8:13 AM

Poll: » Overlord Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2015

253 by MrList »»
Jun 28, 3:42 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.