Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

People don't recommend watching babylon! Is it too disturbing to watch?

New
Mar 2, 2022 9:23 PM
Dec 2021
Whats your opinion on this anime?
Mar 2, 2022 9:57 PM

Jul 2015
There are quite a few not easy to watch scene, especially that one in episode 7.
It touches the sensitive subject of suicide, which for many is too sensitive.
Like for example top review, which author missed the entire message of this show, because this show does not "glorify" suicide. Quite the opposite.
Also, ending is utterly disaapoint. Throughout the course of the show we had more and more questions piling up, and ending not only did not answered any of them, but actually added few more.
PiromyslMar 2, 2022 10:00 PM

Mar 2, 2022 10:07 PM
Anime Moderator
May 2018
I think most people don't recommend watching it because of the disappointing ending, but I personally really enjoyed it as a thriller until the last couple of episodes.

I'd really need to rewatch it to know for sure though, I can't believe it's already been 2 years since it ended
Mar 2, 2022 10:48 PM
Jan 2021
It was good, I like everything except episode 12
Mar 2, 2022 11:06 PM
Aug 2018
It covers suicide as a core aspect of the plot, which can be uncomfortable for some people. The show itself is good imo for the first part. The second part, however, it goes out the window up to the disappointment of an ending. Overall, not terrible, but not nearly as good as it could have been.
Mar 3, 2022 4:52 AM
Dec 2020
FarshidBG said:
Whats your opinion on this anime?

An interesting story with a sadly revelant way to apply to modern day with a non-cliche ending and a relatively enjoyable short story
Being human is making mistakes.
Mar 3, 2022 8:22 AM
Mar 2020
I don’t find it disturbing at all. This anime starts off crazily good, but like after episode 4/5 things start going downhill

๐˜š๐˜ฐ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ๐˜ต๐˜ช๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด ๐˜ธ๐˜ฉ๐˜ฆ๐˜ฏ ๐˜ ๐˜ค๐˜ญ๐˜ฐ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ ๐˜ฎ๐˜บ ๐˜ฆ๐˜บ๐˜ฆ๐˜ด, ๐˜ ๐˜ค๐˜ข๐˜ฏ’๐˜ต ๐˜ด๐˜ฆ๐˜ฆ.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Mar 5, 2022 7:50 AM
Jul 2019
I didn't like the show, maybe the first 4 or so but as things kept happening, I started to get confused but I stuck to it thinking the finale would explain everything. Nope nothing just an ending that made me go huh? what tha faq? I was very confused. I wouldn't recommend this anime.
Mar 7, 2022 11:01 AM
Sep 2021
i love it! good music and good visuals and keeps you on edge throughout the anime. also really explores deep stuff that is very interesting and makes you think up interesting philosophies of your own, but certainly not for the faint hearted, since most people dont want to even think about suicide much less watch a whole anime exploring it.
Mar 9, 2022 5:25 PM

Sep 2020
I like this show a lot and I recommend more people watch it as, yes, it could be seen as the author just soapboxing his points through an audience or just talking to himself and coming to his conclusions, it's a valid point. Maybe it's more subjective to each person's ideals and the more they appeal to you the more you like it I guess. I think it's an interesting watch no matter what your stance on the show is, it puts ideas on the table, and more people discussing is good, giving you more viewpoints even those that coincide with yours. That is just the story though as for the visual aspect I'd say it makes up for many iffy decisions of the show, it looks great as the animators manage to keep up with the spikey (didn't find a better word) designs and some scenes are so creative with their direction.
ReSeinenMay 19, 2022 6:56 PM
Mar 28, 2022 4:10 AM
Jan 2021
good story ending sucked rating 6 out of 10.
Jul 1, 2022 8:34 PM

Aug 2021
I don't recommend it because the premise and motions of the plot are stupid. "Suicide is now legal" is a mentally retarded premise even if you disregard the pseudo-magical nonsense.
Jul 1, 2023 7:16 PM

Oct 2012
Well, I ended up finishing the show and wrote my review. My opinion is pretty much encapsulated in all the prior comments here.
MeVike said:
I don’t find it disturbing at all. This anime starts off crazily good, but like after episode 4/5 things start going downhill
I felt like it went downhill from episode 2 onward. The first couple episodes sold a crime thriller mystery of multiple murders with a political component. But as soon as they gave even the first clue about what really happened, it revealed a world that has no bearing on reality, an author that doesn't understand the meaning of the word "democracy" and has a world view like the 1980s War on Drugs policy hawks -- like if you legalize something, everyone just does it, right?

ReSeinen said:
yes, it could be seen as the author just soapboxing his points through an audience or just talking to himself and coming to his conclusions, it's a valid point.
This is exactly how I felt. Would have agreed with the rest of the points here if the show had anything interesting to say about the topic. Unfortunately, a quick Wikipedia would encapsulate its entire purported depth. It was actually a bit annoying that none of the politicians enumerated the actual arguments that work, such as that jumping off roofs impose a public burden to clean up and a safety hazard for the people or objects underneath, or that suicides without some kind of notarization would be hard to distinguish from murders made to look like suicides, or even that the will to commit suicide is often temporary emotional distress that should be ruled out before allowing it to go ahead. Each character in this show gives awkward wordings of their argument, and they are so unprepared that a single push back was necessary to dismantle their entire perspective. It was just absurd. The author obviously didn't do his research.

TheSmug1 said:
I don't recommend it because the premise and motions of the plot are stupid. "Suicide is now legal" is a mentally retarded premise even if you disregard the pseudo-magical nonsense.
Exactly. Assisted suicide is already legal in Canada, and they didn't have to hold an international summit to validate their domestic policy, nor conclusively answer that "good vs evil" was in order to do so. Nor does the mayor of Hartford, Connecticut (LOL) have the authority to pass any law whatsoever. And even if suicide was legal, nobody -- ever -- said to themselves, "Well golly since it's legal and my mayor says it's okay, it must be the thing to do!!" And like you said, that ignores the villain that walked around 5 cities whispering to random people without getting their ass beat.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jul 1, 2023 7:26 PM

Oct 2012
Also, for anyone that cares, the "survival lottery" is not identical to the trolley problem, because the prospect of being dissected at any time hanging over all of society could cause an anxiety that may alter their actions otherwise, cause them to be more nihilistic or take more risks. Organ transplant surgery is also not at the technological state that a replacement is 100% successful and as good as new, such that the quality of life of the 5 people with transplanted organs would not necessarily sum to exceed the quality of life of the one healthy individual.

I mean like there are a number of such objections that anyone who spent more than a few minutes pondering could come up with. In fact, they have been discussed by various philosopher ad nauseum. That the author just glossed over it just shows how the author and/or his work is shallow -- or perhaps more realistically anime just isn't the medium to preach about subjects in this manner. Like fine if you somehow incorporate the trolley problem into this plot, but spare us your expositions.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jul 22, 2023 4:17 AM

Feb 2022
It was good but they messed up the ending
Aug 10, 2023 3:33 AM

Sep 2015
Please watch it, that MAL score is ridiculous.

This show should have easily been 8.5++ but I guess people care too much about endings huh
Aug 17, 2023 8:31 AM

Sep 2015
AllOPa said:
Nanami0007 said:
You are the one who is  ridiculous lol
Sorry?

If you have the same 'opinion' as the people who kept talking above then you should know that their whole argument is wrong, the people who started suiciding at the beginning were all under the effect of Magase. It was only later when suiciding became such a significant subject of the whole world, then ' non-magase' suicides started to occur. It is not impossible as they proclaim, the show did actually portray a pretty likely scenario if such powers were to exist.

It has been a long while since I last watched it so I'm not entirely sure, but almost everything did make sense, their arguments during the suicide debate were also very logical and each individual did focus on a valuable aspect of the situation. The inner thoughts of Alexander were fantastic as well, he got into the fundamentals of whats good and whats evil, and that discussion with the world leaders was truly impressive and resulted in such a straight answer for a question that many viewers including myself and the critics, weren't sure what would be the appropriate answer to.

Even the ending is fitting, I would have been really annoyed if this was a fairytale ending where everything in the world is solved, although, I wish to have known more about what happened.
Needless to say, it had a pretty good couple of OSTs and the animation is definitely good.
There are so many good and unique things to remember about Babylon, why do we have to focus on the negatives (For example, pacing)? is it really fun to keep supporting the same repetitive Isekai and school animes while completely condemning any anime that tries to bring a new idea to the table?

It's fine if you don't like certain aspects of the anime, that's not what I have a problem with.
It's the fact that this anime has a score lower than thousands of anime's who were nowhere near the level of depth and quality this anime offered. It's a ridiculous score, then again, it's also pointless to care about scores anyway. Enjoy whatever you'd like to watch.

Cheers.
Jan 11, 1:35 PM

Nov 2019
Reply to Nanami0007

This show should have easily been 8.5++ but I guess people care too much about endings huh
@Nanami0007 OMG FINALLY A SENSIBLE PERSON!! Lol.

Seriously, though, I also fell in love with Babylon and it's easily one of my favorite shows ever.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Babylon Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 27, 2020

443 by Carmelodube »»
May 5, 2:18 AM

Poll: » Babylon Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 20, 2020

118 by GreenTeaRabbit »»
Apr 7, 1:25 AM

Poll: » Babylon Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 18, 2019

319 by GreenTeaRabbit »»
Apr 6, 11:47 AM

Poll: » Babylon Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 6, 2019

157 by madstar345 »»
Mar 16, 10:53 AM

Poll: » Babylon Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 6, 2020

98 by VanniePon »»
Feb 16, 6:47 AM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.