Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Nov 4, 2021 5:18 AM
Nov 2020
I just saw one eps. I still don't think it was as bad as everyone says it is. But what happened to the hype. We are hardly at middle of one cour season but literally nobody talking about this. I guess there aren't as many VN fans compared to the Anime community. ๐Ÿ˜”๐Ÿ˜”
PS: I am a 'Shonen Mystery Comedy' type Anime fan. Don't read VN. I just found the first ep interesting. Will binge the rest at the end of season. ๐Ÿ˜ถ
Nov 4, 2021 5:23 AM
Feb 2015
Sandro8604 said:
I just saw one eps. I still don't think it was as bad as everyone says it is. But what happened to the hype. We are hardly at middle of one cour season but literally nobody talking about this. I guess there aren't as many VN fans compared to the Anime community. ๐Ÿ˜”๐Ÿ˜”
PS: I am a 'Shonen Mystery Comedy' type Anime fan. Don't read VN. I just found the first ep interesting. Will binge the rest at the end of season. ๐Ÿ˜ถ

Well you can consider watching other people's playthrough in YouTube, i know some people do that cause they feel bored being the one to play.
Nov 4, 2021 5:27 AM
Nov 2020
ixarising said:

Well you can consider watching other people's playthrough in YouTube, i know some people do that cause they feel bored being the one to play.
What is it exactly? A choice type game like 'Detroit Become Human' and 'Life is strange'?
Nov 4, 2021 5:57 AM

Jul 2014
Sandro8604 said:

The hype died because majority of the VN community (including me) conclude that this is a shit adaptation. Clearly you haven't read the other threads about this. Why does this thread even exist?
Nov 4, 2021 6:02 AM
Feb 2015
Sandro8604 said:
ixarising said:

What is it exactly? A choice type game like 'Detroit Become Human' and 'Life is strange'?

Visual Novel. To put simply it's a story that shows the character and you can hear their voices. Usually VN have multiple routes or endings, so it's like a choice type novel. Of course nowadays VN are very wide scale, there's strategy based VN, there's city building VN etc. Just that usually it's eroge so sometimes this kind of unique VN aren't popular.
Nov 4, 2021 7:11 AM
Oct 2020
Sandro8604 said:

It's a shitty adaptation (so far. The last episode gave me a bit of hope).
Nov 4, 2021 7:27 AM

Apr 2015
Sorry, but there's nothing to hype.

You found the first episode okay because it was an anime original. The following ones just try to badly summarize MLA. You are better off either playing the VN (or watching playthroughs) or just not getting into the franchise.
Nov 4, 2021 8:58 AM

Jul 2019
There wasn't any hype in the first place lmaooo

Before it was airing nobody was talking about this, e.g. most anime youtubers did not even mention it.
Fax001sNov 4, 2021 9:04 AM
Nov 4, 2021 9:44 AM
Jan 2019
Sandro8604 said:
We are hardly at middle of one cour season but literally nobody talking about this.

Would you enjoy talking about an anime when all you hear is "Don't watch this it's trash, read the VN, you are ruining it for yourself!!". Yeah, that. It's not a very fun environment.
Nov 4, 2021 9:54 AM

Feb 2016
There was never any hype. Fans of the source material were trashing this anime even before the 1st episode aired.
ใใฎ็›ฎใ ใ‚Œใฎ็›ฎ๏ผŸ
Nov 4, 2021 10:49 AM
potato

Aug 2018
Nobody was hyped for this. VN fans were scared that it would be rushed (it is), non-VN fans have never heard of the franchise.
Nov 4, 2021 11:03 AM
Jan 2018
There was never any hype for this. Nobody liked this or even wanted it in the first place.
Nov 5, 2021 7:16 AM
Feb 2018
I watch muv luuv because i'm just curious how muv luv vn is no.1 vn of all time

So, i conclude muv luv vn is better than steins gate and clannad, i wonder how great muv luv story is
Nov 5, 2021 8:52 AM

Oct 2010
hype died when we all saw the pv and the people involved in this project
Nov 5, 2021 9:05 AM
Jan 2019
I only watch the Muv-Luv anime to rant about it to some friends and it at least helps me realise how well written and put together the visual novel was in a lot of ways in regards to the characters and the world.
Nov 5, 2021 9:32 AM

Jul 2019
Now that i think about it the show could have gained some popularity this season if it was animated by a "big" studio but with such abysmal production values it's not surprising this is the least popular anime this season.

Especially when there are other mecha animes that look so much better.
Nov 5, 2021 12:31 PM
May 2021
Sandro8604 said:
There was no hype here to begin with.
Crunchyroll is in the producer team. However, They didn't mention this anime in their social media. But they're advertising "Sakugan" left and right, And when you calculate it for yourself, it's somehow justified.
Another reason why there wasn't any hype here is this being a VN from 2000s, and there was no type of proper adaptation whatsoever. Just some mid-tier spinoffs.
No big name here in production team. It's clear that this is just another AD for people who were looking to find a "hidden gem", but ended up failing so hard.
Confusing plot for a beginner-you must've played the former titles to catch a glimpse of the plotline, if you didn't, you'll be hardly confused, as the writers just rushed it through everything and characters just became some empty shella who just exist.
Crappy production values is the cherry on the top of this abomination of an anime.
Nov 5, 2021 12:41 PM

Jun 2012
Any hype this series had was from casual viewers who saw how beloved the vn was.

No one coming from the visual novel had big expectations for this production.
Nov 5, 2021 1:17 PM
Jan 2019
I think what's even funnier is that they are trying to sell NFT cards of Muv-luv animation reels or whatever because that is probably what will be the only good thing about the muv luv anime. the mech fights. which ofc isnt what muv-luv is about.

Honestly the production value of Muv-luv VN was quite high that i'd honestly prefer that as an animation card
Nov 5, 2021 2:14 PM

Jan 2016
The anime community nowadays is a very sour and negative community, at least most people that chill out on MAL. Hell people would probably clown on the Steins Gate adaptation if it was made today.

VN fans will never be satisfied with anything and at this point, you just have to accept it.

Is it a good adaptation? No, because the studio didn't get to work on the prequels and only got 12 episodes (and possibly 12 more after this)

Is it a good anime? Maybe, its got faults but it's enjoyable and lots of anime onlys are enjoying it, which is enough.

MAL has a very elitist attitude that already deemed this a failure before even the trailer came out and doesn't reflect the bigger community.

All in all, it's not a Clannad or Steins Gate level adaptation but not as bad as Tsukihime or Umineko. Probably along the lines of the Higurashi adaptation (which I'm not a fan of but most people like)
Nov 5, 2021 7:43 PM

Feb 2016
FireFistYK said:
Is it a good anime? Maybe, its got faults but it's enjoyable and lots of anime onlys are enjoying it, which is enough.

This is how I felt about the recent YU-NO anime, which was hyped by nobody and had a score below 7 the entire time it was airing. Fans of the source material complained about the art style, while casuals didn't even know of YU-NO's existence.
ใใฎ็›ฎใ ใ‚Œใฎ็›ฎ๏ผŸ
Nov 7, 2021 4:16 AM

May 2009
Why would there be a hype? It's mecha, genre which isn't popular nowadays, majority VN fanbase hated redesigns since their reveal.
Nov 7, 2021 8:39 AM

Apr 2018
firstawa said:

So, i conclude muv luv vn is better than steins gate and clannad, i wonder how great muv luv story is

Without any exaggeration, Muv-Luv Alternative the visual novel is literally the only piece of life-changing art I've come across. I can't comprehend how Steins;Gate got an even remotely close rating to it on VNDB (S;G probably has better art but that's it). You should just go check out the VN if the rating gets you intrigued (this is what got me to read it), though indeed it's not the most beginner-friendly VN, not by a long shot.

If the adaptation ends up being passable I can finally have the story in a format I can recommend to people who simply don't have 80 hours to sit through the VN trilogy.
sho52Nov 7, 2021 9:19 AM
Nov 7, 2021 7:06 PM

Apr 2008
Sandro8604 said:
I just saw one eps. I still don't think it was as bad as everyone says it is.

Watch more. The first episode is not the actual show and the least of the problem here.

Sandro8604 said:

But what happened to the hype. We are hardly at middle of one cour season but literally nobody talking about this. I guess there aren't as many VN fans compared to the Anime community. ๐Ÿ˜”๐Ÿ˜”

There was no hype, it was worrisome from the beginning. Character designs changed to be safe/generic. Voice actors were recast. Cheap animation. First episode was all original prologue so apparently this is 11 episodes to adapt the entire VN? So around 4 hours to adapt a 60+ hour VN. Will it be more than one cour? This is technically a sequel and they're skipping the first Muv-Luv VN.
Its just a mess.
Nov 7, 2021 11:21 PM
Jan 2019
Levo said:
First episode was all original prologue so apparently this is 11 episodes to adapt the entire VN? So around 4 hours to adapt a 60+ hour VN. Will it be more than one cour?.

At least that worry we can put to rest. With where we are in the story right now and how the pacing is going it’s pretty much impossible to adapt more than, say, a third of the story in those 11 episodes. It is either going to be incomplete or there will be more than one cour
Nov 8, 2021 10:00 AM

Aug 2016
I wouldn´t call it hype to be honest. Most of the interested people were the ones who tried the VN, but that was all you get from them: interest. simple curiosity. There was an interest for how much of a mess they would get with this adaptation. Of course there were probably some people who were hyping it as if it was gonna get the SnK treatment, but they should be a really small minority.

Said this, I think you should try the VN (Muv luv extra, unlimited and alternative), even if you watch just the gameplays

"but it´s too long"

I dont wanna be that guy, but I dont see any good reason to not experience such an amazing story properly. You seem to have some sort of inmunity for silly romcoms like all of us enjoying muv luv extra (or at least tolerance) and Steins Gate is among your favorite anime so you could give it a chance. Believe me, the anime version is not making it justice. It´s up to you.

:v
Nov 8, 2021 11:05 PM

Jan 2015
MichaelJackson said:
I wouldn´t call it hype to be honest. Most of the interested people were the ones who tried the VN, but that was all you get from them: interest. simple curiosity. There was an interest for how much of a mess they would get with this adaptation. Of course there were probably some people who were hyping it as if it was gonna get the SnK treatment, but they should be a really small minority.

Said this, I think you should try the VN (Muv luv extra, unlimited and alternative), even if you watch just the gameplays

"but it´s too long"

I dont wanna be that guy, but I dont see any good reason to not experience such an amazing story properly. You seem to have some sort of inmunity for silly romcoms like all of us enjoying muv luv extra (or at least tolerance) and Steins Gate is among your favorite anime so you could give it a chance. Believe me, the anime version is not making it justice. It´s up to you.

Let's be honest. Muv luv already ruined since the introduction of Total Eclipse anime. That anime spoiled too much about TSF and BETA stuff. The fact that most anime only will consume anything animated doesn't help either.

This is as equivalent to introduce Sword Art Online Alternative Gun Gale Online then adapt Sword Art Online 9 years later but start with Alicization arc as the first entry episode.

barthosNov 8, 2021 11:28 PM
Rance X is A GOAT.
Nov 8, 2021 11:55 PM

Aug 2009
Back then I remember thinking that the only tangible hype that might've existed was when there was some moderate media coverage that AOT's Isayama was inspired by Muv Luv Alternative, and thinking that it would blow up in the West at least by the time the MLA anime aired. But mostly I thought that by the time the final AOT season aired there'd be immense shit-flinging between the two fandoms, but for better or worse MLA is only 12 eps long so it wouldn't air side-by-side into January.
Nov 9, 2021 8:21 AM

Feb 2016
Kamikaze470 said:
But mostly I thought that by the time the final AOT season aired there'd be immense shit-flinging between the two fandoms

I totally thought this would happen regardless of how the Muv-Luv anime turned out.
ใใฎ็›ฎใ ใ‚Œใฎ็›ฎ๏ผŸ
Nov 9, 2021 10:46 PM
Oct 2020
Lucifrost said:
Kamikaze470 said:
But mostly I thought that by the time the final AOT season aired there'd be immense shit-flinging between the two fandoms

I totally thought this would happen regardless of how the Muv-Luv anime turned out.

There isn't enough people here to fling shit at
Nov 11, 2021 5:07 PM

Oct 2009
How can something that does not exist be hyped?

sho52 said:
firstawa said:

Without any exaggeration, Muv-Luv Alternative the visual novel is literally the only piece of life-changing art I've come across. I can't comprehend how Steins;Gate got an even remotely close rating to it on VNDB (S;G probably has better art but that's it). You should just go check out the VN if the rating gets you intrigued (this is what got me to read it), though indeed it's not the most beginner-friendly VN, not by a long shot.

If the adaptation ends up being passable I can finally have the story in a format I can recommend to people who simply don't have 80 hours to sit through the VN trilogy.

Don't act like your taste is some objective ranking. To other people, Steins; Gate could be life changing to them. Taste between people differ. To me, MLA is good, but far from life-changing and far from the top of my VN list.

VNDB just represents the average rating and the taste of the average person. Doesn't mean everyone will agree with it.
Nov 12, 2021 2:09 AM

Apr 2018
Nemesis2005 said:
How can something that does not exist be hyped?

sho52 said:

Don't act like your taste is some objective ranking. To other people, Steins; Gate could be life changing to them. Taste between people differ. To me, MLA is good, but far from life-changing and far from the top of my VN list.

VNDB just represents the average rating and the taste of the average person. Doesn't mean everyone will agree with it.

Yep totally. It has to do with everybody's life circumstances and the moment in life they came across a VN etc. Maybe the way I formulated it sounded a bit strong, though I was for sure only expressing my subjective opinion and enthusiasm (thus "I've come across") and my recommendation to the others based on my subjective perception and reasoning. Nobody can do anything beyond this.

Steins;Gate was inspired by Alternative in many ways but to me it feels something that in the end just presented a nice and easy-to-digest story while losing all the soul and moral lessons ("preachy stuff" you may say) of Alternative. I was actually in the middle of writing a review on VNDB regarding this point lol but yeah I'd rather not dwell on it here. I still gave it a 9 in the end and I can easily imagine many people rating it higher than Alternative for various reasons, which is fine with me.

The reason why I think the ranking is still helpful is that it could serve as an indicator of the general quality of something, but I totally agree that everybody's take on a story would be unique and I believe people can have a fruitful discussion as long as they're respecting each other's perspective and circumstances.
sho52Nov 12, 2021 2:23 AM
Nov 13, 2021 10:29 AM

Oct 2009
I'm not sure how you can think Steins;Gate was inspired by Alternative at all. Steins; Gate is mainly based on quantum physics and conspiracy theories, and adding some fantasy elements into it.
Nov 13, 2021 8:00 PM
Oct 2020
Nemesis2005 said:
I'm not sure how you can think Steins;Gate was inspired by Alternative at all. Steins; Gate is mainly based on quantum physics and conspiracy theories, and adding some fantasy elements into it.

>Steins; Gate is mainly based on quantum physics
The pseudoscience and plot device in muvluv is based on quantum physics
Nov 13, 2021 8:30 PM

Oct 2009
I guess every anime and visual novels with quantum physics in it are now inspired on Muv-luv alternative then. No, MLA must have invented quantum physics just like how Jojo invented breathing.
Nov 13, 2021 8:34 PM
Oct 2020
Nemesis2005 said:
I guess every anime and visual novels with quantum physics in it are now inspired on Muv-luv alternative then. No, MLA must have invented quantum physics just like how Jojo invented breathing.

Not really. I don't think that MLA inspired steins gate. They are very different in concept. But if you want to make an argument against it, don't make it stupid. Saying that steins; gate isn't inspired by alternative because Steins; Gate is mainly based on quantum physics is just you sabotaging your own argument.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 22, 2021

82 by Unkrowned »»
Jul 11, 2023 4:31 AM

» Why fans are OVERREACTING.?

Sandro8604 - Oct 14, 2021

46 by koneroko »»
Dec 27, 2022 4:09 PM

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 15, 2021

45 by MoeMoeKyun »»
Nov 16, 2022 7:04 PM

Poll: » Muv-Luv Alternative Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2021

44 by MoeMoeKyun »»
Nov 16, 2022 6:44 PM

» There is no Muv Luv Alternative anime ( 1 2 )

OppaiSugoi - Oct 13, 2021

63 by ixarising »»
Oct 8, 2022 11:19 PM
Itโ€™s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.