Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 7, 2020 2:38 PM

Mar 2020
For example : A character wakes up and all of their memories have been lost, yet they still know how to speak Japanese, understand peoples feelings and everything, and if they had a profession of some sort they would know how to do it. And I always just ask myself if it makes sense. Maybe I am missing out on something idk.

Examples : Bam from Tower of God, Eren's father from AOT, Otonashi Yuzuru from Angel Beats.
Jul 7, 2020 2:39 PM

Oct 2013
I mean it depends on what part of the brain is being effected which is causing the lack of memory
Jul 7, 2020 2:46 PM

Feb 2010
Different parts of the brain are responsible for different things. Memories are part of the episodic memory, which is different from the semantic memory which is responsible for vocabulary for example. They can be affected separately, there are many studies of patients where that is the case. I'm familiar with that particular topic because I study linguistics, but I assume that other abilities that go beyond episodic memory (as in things you've done so often that they're automatic, part of your muscle memory, you don't have to actively remember how to do them when you do them), like combat techniques and instinct, work similarly so it isn't that far-fetched for memories to be lost but language and some abilities being retained.
I probably regret this post by now.
Jul 7, 2020 2:50 PM

Jun 2017
You could just google your question cuz it actually make sense...
Jul 7, 2020 2:51 PM

Dec 2016
The reason it works like that in anime is for plot convenience, a story can't spend half of it's time following the rehabilitation of a person that has suffered massive brain damage.
한 번만 살지만 제대로 하면 한 번이면 충분해요
Jul 7, 2020 2:55 PM

Mar 2020
Yeah I should have just googled it. I dunno why I didnt even think about the human brain lol.

More topics from this board

» How do you behave in front of a cute girl

SgtBateMan - 4 hours ago

15 by Zarutaku »»
33 seconds ago

» Do you have animes you've rated 5 and under on your completed list, why?

melodyily - 7 hours ago

24 by -Ryu »»
1 minute ago

» Anime you wouldn't watch?

coolyfruity - Yesterday

23 by oappo »»
2 minutes ago

» If ONE Piece is this long, imagine if this was 100 piece

jhzs0029 - Yesterday

16 by Zowabo »»
31 minutes ago

» What are the requirements for an anime to get "reanimated"?

Ventus_S - 7 hours ago

5 by Zowabo »»
36 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.