Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 27, 2019 1:32 PM

Aug 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Just watched the Two TV Specials and the Movie over the last few days. I have to say this trilogy is alot of fun, dumb alot of the time most certainly but still I had a pretty great time.

The Film has next to nothing to do with the video games' story but it never really felt out of place to me. In fact those behind the scenes should be praised for fitting this original story so well into the timeline of the two TV Specials that proceeded it. By doing so this really feels like the end to a trilogy.

Sure the story isn't exactly amazing, it's fairly basic but the characters and their globe trotting adventure keep things interesting enough. Many won't enjoy the film, I'm by no means claiming it to be more than it is but honestly I thought it was really nicely paced and full of action and great character moments. It's silly, alittle melodramatic and over the top, especially in it's climax but it's engaging. For those willing to not get too nitpicky and over analyze I think they'll find alot to enjoy.

The animation throughout is really nice. Especially in the climax, the fight between Terry and the Mars God, albeit short, was truly epic in the animation department. Seeing this in HD courtesy of the Discotek Media Blu Ray was a real treat. Though the Arcade fight near the start of the film was pretty janky. I get what they were going for, trying to present the flow of action in a seamless shot like that is really ambitious for Cel animation, unfortunately they don't really pull it off. Which isn't overly surprising since that is hard to do in 2D animation full stop regardless of which era.

So yeah I've waffled on enough. To summarize I really quite enjoyed this trilogy and the Movie was definitely my favourite of the bunch. It's cliche and it's dumb BUT I liked it and that's all there is to it.

8/10
Aug 13, 2020 3:42 PM

Dec 2015
Totally average adventure movie, but with Garô/Fatal Fury characters. As a story, far better build than the OAVs. Some fighting action, some superpower action.

Score: 5/10
Plaisir: 3/5
Mar 4, 2021 1:25 PM

Jan 2017
A forgettable villain and a story about ancient armor that is simply thrown instead of showing in a way that entertains. The convenience of the script, like all Masami's work, bothers me as fuck.

Pros: Masami Obari's authentic art has its charm, decent fanservice and some fights for more than short ones have their moments.

Cons: Terrible villains, fights last very little, a lot of expository dialogue and shameful and forced romance.
Oct 30, 2021 6:26 PM
Dec 2017
play the original games instead

Jun 4, 2022 7:09 PM

Jul 2020
I guess we’re never going to see the Geese Howard rematch against Terry. Shame because the ending of the first ova was so anticlimactic and the fight was so fast.
Jul 3, 2022 11:15 AM
Nov 2020
Totally good movie all the way through. Great main cast and a decent story.
"I can't trust a website where csm is rated higher than hxh"
- Akira Toriyama

Mar 5, 10:00 PM

Jul 2008
meh fights, meh characters, meh predictable story. 5/10
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.