Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 31, 2018 7:13 PM

Apr 2017
I got all the subtle details like that scene at close end when they walked one after another through school and then suddenly turned totally different ways and what that meant for their future... But still tell me clear, what did all this meant, will they go to the same college? Will Mizore and Nozomi be together ? Will they continue to be friends ?!

『 The truth has power because it’s the truth.
And because it is the truth, that makes it just.
It’s persuasive, isn’t it? Don’t you want truth like that? 』

Jan 1, 2019 9:43 AM
Aug 2018
Well, I really urge you to watch it again, because, as it happens usually with Yamada's masterpieces, you actually catch up on so much more the second time through. I just watched it for the second time, and here's my take:
This is a story about idealized friendship, ending in true friendship. At first, something completely made clear through the first walking scene, both of them have what they want. Mizore has Nozomi, who she admires so much that it borders obsesion, and I could even say infatuation. And Nozomi likes this attention, she likes being the "everything" of someone else, because she actually does think low of herself. Though I'd argue she isn't even aware of this in the beginning.
So, as you might have noted, this isn't a healthy relationship for neither of them. Mizore has to learn to care more about herself than about Nozomi, and Nozomi has to learn to not take Mizore's friendship for granted, as is shown the contrast between Nozomi and Ririka, and how the latter actively seeks for Mizore's friendship while Nozomi takes it for granted. Needless to say, If you've watched the movie, you know they both achieve this goals.

But the big question, what does it mean for their relationship? Well that's the whole point. Their relationship at the beggining is all about possession. One thing I loved about the movie is how it refuses to be simple by making both the characters draw parallels to both Liz and the blue bird. Both of them don't wanna let go of the other, as they think it will destroy their friendship. But friendship isn't as simple as that. Friendship should be able to exist it doesn't matter the distance. And so the movie ends with both of them in different places, walking, just as the first scene. This time they are more in sink with each other (seriously, the editing in this film is amazing), but Mizore is focused on music and Nozomi in her studies. And still, they think about each other, and hope the best for the other. It doesn't matter if they'll go to the same school, they'll keep being friends no matter what. That's "the decision born out of love". To let go of the other, even if it makes you sad, because the other will be okay.

I hope this helped you understand the movie better :)
Jan 1, 2019 10:15 AM

Apr 2017
R0rack said:
Well, I really urge you to watch it again, because, as it happens usually with Yamada's masterpieces, you actually catch up on so much more the second time through. I just watched it for the second time, and here's my take:
This is a story about idealized friendship, ending in true friendship. At first, something completely made clear through the first walking scene, both of them have what they want. Mizore has Nozomi, who she admires so much that it borders obsesion, and I could even say infatuation. And Nozomi likes this attention, she likes being the "everything" of someone else, because she actually does think low of herself. Though I'd argue she isn't even aware of this in the beginning.
So, as you might have noted, this isn't a healthy relationship for neither of them. Mizore has to learn to care more about herself than about Nozomi, and Nozomi has to learn to not take Mizore's friendship for granted, as is shown the contrast between Nozomi and Ririka, and how the latter actively seeks for Mizore's friendship while Nozomi takes it for granted. Needless to say, If you've watched the movie, you know they both achieve this goals.

But the big question, what does it mean for their relationship? Well that's the whole point. Their relationship at the beggining is all about possession. One thing I loved about the movie is how it refuses to be simple by making both the characters draw parallels to both Liz and the blue bird. Both of them don't wanna let go of the other, as they think it will destroy their friendship. But friendship isn't as simple as that. Friendship should be able to exist it doesn't matter the distance. And so the movie ends with both of them in different places, walking, just as the first scene. This time they are more in sink with each other (seriously, the editing in this film is amazing), but Mizore is focused on music and Nozomi in her studies. And still, they think about each other, and hope the best for the other. It doesn't matter if they'll go to the same school, they'll keep being friends no matter what. That's "the decision born out of love". To let go of the other, even if it makes you sad, because the other will be okay.

I hope this helped you understand the movie better :)

I really appreciate that you gave up a part of your time to write such a well-written explanation.
I'll definitely watch it again, but not so soon, only watched it yesterday...
I've knew while watching the movie, that all this was very relatable to me. Since I'm on the last year of middle school. But you've made that feeling even stronger.
Thank you so much !

『 The truth has power because it’s the truth.
And because it is the truth, that makes it just.
It’s persuasive, isn’t it? Don’t you want truth like that? 』

Jan 1, 2019 10:38 AM
Aug 2018
Hahaha, no problem XD. As I said, I just watched it for the second time, and had a lot of thoughts about it that I wanted to get written. It was kind of good for me too to talk about the movie. Im glad it helped you understand your feelings about the movie better, and while I already left middle school, this movies always bring me back to it. Is kind of why I love the Hibike franchise so much :)
I personally kind of relate more to Nozomi (Though I used to be like Mizore when I was a kid) and I think is amazing Yamada managed to portray such different personalities in one film that feel completely relatable and understandable. This is seriously an amazing movie.

And again, thanks for your kind words. You're welcome ;)
Jan 7, 2019 10:00 AM

Jan 2017
You have to admit, Yamada is amazing at nuance. Her ability to make you feel emotion and understand even the most subtle moments its aspiring. The score and visuals helps a lot in this regard, I mean just look at the scene where Mizore see's Nozomi while feeding the blowfish. It actually made me cry because of how misunderstood Mizore was at that moment. I understand Yamada like's portraying just pure love between girls and not necessarily typical Yuri, but still I do wonder though whether Mizore wanted to be closer to Nozomi just from seeing that first scene where she tries to lean on her before practice.

I don't think the movie is perfect, then again I don't think any movie can be, but the fact I was able to connect with the movie so much despite it's flaws made it a masterpiece.
Jan 9, 2019 4:18 AM

Apr 2012
@Kingsman117 I didn't quite understand what you meant by "pure love", but I think she really wanted to be closer. Virtually the entire film is an entire hour of Mizore’s attempts to be closer to her.

@R0rack You are right, according to Takeda, the author of the original novels, any pair of characters in the series is an image of relationships between people using the example of contrasts. I also noticed an obsession theme that seems like a pretty favorite topic for KyoAni if ​​you look at Free and Tsurune. In any case, I thank you for such a good analysis. Most people are able to say only "hehehe, they are lesbians))0", even having written before that a bunch of text about the philosophy of interaction between people.
Jan 9, 2019 6:07 AM
Aug 2018
Well, I din't say "pure love" anywhere. I talked about "real friendship, and when I said "The decision borned out of love", that's the name of the song they play at the end, ment to symbolize their parting.
And again, thank you for your words, and glad you liked what I wrote :)
PD: in all fairness, they are sooo lesbian, hehehe
Jan 9, 2019 11:33 AM

Jan 2017
RobertBobert said:
@Kingsman117 I didn't quite understand what you meant by "pure love", but I think she really wanted to be closer. Virtually the entire film is an entire hour of Mizore’s attempts to be closer to her.

"Pure love" like without the sense of dating, sex or things like that. A platonic love essentially. Most people though would classify this as Yuri bait, same way they classify the characters as lesbians and while I can see where they are coming from, Yamada has always been able to portray "Yuri" in her own without any implication of sex. And I know the film is essentially Mizore wanting to be closer, but ofc by the end it resolves to her becoming less dependent on Nozomi and yet their friendship/relationship becomes stronger.

@R0rack im sure he was talking to me about the "pure love" bit.
Jan 9, 2019 12:20 PM

Apr 2012
@Kingsman117 And, in that sense. Then I get it. I'm just tired of hearing when Japanese authors talk about love in a broad sense, but Western fans instantly think that it is only about romance, because you know, you cannot love another person without wanting to sleep with him.

@R0rack I also see only idealized friendship there. Moreover, I myself experienced similar emotions. But apparently the romantic interpretation is more important for many people than the film itself.

Jan 9, 2019 5:39 PM

Jan 2017
RobertBobert said:
@Kingsman117 And, in that sense. Then I get it. I'm just tired of hearing when Japanese authors talk about love in a broad sense, but Western fans instantly think that it is only about romance, because you know, you cannot love another person without wanting to sleep with him.

Id be lying if I said there wasn't a part of me that thinks/wishes Mizore's intentions were hinging on romantic. I understood the implications in their first practice scene together, but it also made me think Mizore wanted something more. Im able to connect with her in so many ways but mainly because I also have a similar relationship with a friend of mine, although I have yet to see any blue birds fly.
Jan 9, 2019 9:57 PM

Apr 2012
Kingsman117 said:
RobertBobert said:

Id be lying if I said there wasn't a part of me that thinks/wishes Mizore's intentions were hinging on romantic. I understood the implications in their first practice scene together, but it also made me think Mizore wanted something more. Im able to connect with her in so many ways but mainly because I also have a similar relationship with a friend of mine, although I have yet to see any blue birds fly.

Well, in shiping there is nothing bad, the main thing is that it does not become the cause of obsession and conflict.
Jan 10, 2019 6:55 AM
Aug 2018
Hahahaha completely agree here! I also love when a show/movie is able to portray a story of two characters that love each other and at the same time be completely ambiguous about what "kind" of relationship it really is. People will almost always want a fairy tale where everybody lives happily ever after, or where it ends on a confession and everything is said and done, but truth is life doesn't work that way. And sometimes there ARE ambiguous relationships in our lives. I actually consider Kumiko's and Reina's relationship one of my favorite ones in anime, because is not about "labels", is about how they REALLY care for each other, and that's the base for any kind of good relationship, romantic or platonic.

I'm glad this movie was able to make another entry into the Eupho universe with another ambiguous relationship between characters. ANd yes, nothing wrong in shipping characters, because sometimes it is impossible not to root for two people, but I don't mind when the story ends without them together, as long as the story already said what it had to say.

ANd well, I did mention how Mizore's perspective borders in infatuation, but that's one of the things that make the movie so relatable. I hope you do fine with that friend of yours :). As I said, as long as you care for each other and show it, that's still a good relationship.
Jan 11, 2019 1:46 AM

Apr 2012
@R0rack Well, I was definitely not in love with him, lol, but I understand perfectly well when Liz or Tsurune, who is closer to me, compares admiration with obsession and jealousy. The Japanese love this thing altogether; it's enough to remember how some people complained about “fake yuri” in the first episodes of Nana, where Hachi never perceived her best friend as a love interest, but at the same time compared her admiration to “the boy’s first love”.

In any case, I like the way Japanese culture can work with metaphysical and emotional bonds between people, appreciating love itself, and not the narrow "they are friends!" or "they are lovers!".

Jan 15, 2019 1:49 PM

Feb 2011
Hm.. Maybe I am imagining things but I got the impression that Mizore has romantic feelings for Nozomi but I can see that it could well be a very deep friendship. After she confessed her feelings, Nozomi replies with "Thank you". Fastforward near the end of the movie when they both walk home, Mizore says "Thank you..?" in a questioning tone and Nozomi seems to know what Mizore wants as a reply later but answers with "Mizore, I.. I'll back you up ..." (or so). Then finally, in the last scene with a knowing grin she turns around and says ... :o

I initially thought this was going to be a generic movie but I was captivated by the sound, animation and atmosphere. Great stuff
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, although I am not that sure about the universe yet."
A. Einstein
Jan 17, 2019 2:20 PM

Apr 2012
realbadasspanda said:
Hm.. Maybe I am imagining things but I got the impression that Mizore has romantic feelings for Nozomi but I can see that it could well be a very deep friendship. After she confessed her feelings, Nozomi replies with "Thank you". Fastforward near the end of the movie when they both walk home, Mizore says "Thank you..?" in a questioning tone and Nozomi seems to know what Mizore wants as a reply later but answers with "Mizore, I.. I'll back you up ..." (or so). Then finally, in the last scene with a knowing grin she turns around and says ... :o

I initially thought this was going to be a generic movie but I was captivated by the sound, animation and atmosphere. Great stuff

In Japanese culture, it is customary to say thank you in both romantic and friendly confessions, if you accept them, that is, not against or feel the same. The question is that it was rather a request to clarify the "thank you", since Nozomi cut off the dialogue and very quickly quit. I think that she simply did not know how to act, since she did not even suspect that her friend was very nervous and worried. Or she didn’t even ask her to clarify, but just wanted to express her surprise with such an ambiguously short and strange answer. in any case, although I doubt that it was romantic, the ambiguity of the scene and the likely "I love you very much," quite allow you such interpretations.

UPD. I found a mention on Twitter that there was no answer in the script and they just look at each other after turning Nozomi, but I don’t know how true this is.
RobertBobertJan 19, 2019 7:52 PM
Jun 7, 2021 1:16 AM

Aug 2017
Kuraya said:
I got all the subtle details like that scene at close end when they walked one after another through school and then suddenly turned totally different ways and what that meant for their future... But still tell me clear, what did all this meant, will they go to the same college? Will Mizore and Nozomi be together ? Will they continue to be friends ?!

Mizore wll go to music school and be a cat lady spinster.

Nozomi will go to normal college, get a husband and family.

Doubt they'll remain friends. This is my realistic take on it.
Jun 11, 2022 11:21 AM
Apr 2022
Did the author have a psychologist to advise her or something?

I agree with R0rack, that it was obsessive-possessive dependent personality vulnerability on Mizore's part, whereas Nozomi's reluctant response explains just that, how she sees Mizore as a close friend, but sucks up to Mizore's adulation initially.

Sad to hear about LGBT groups projecting their similar insecurities into the friendship. It explains why alot of these people are in toxic codependent relationships.

More topics from this board

» This is a masterpiece of arthouse cinema.

Greyleaf - Apr 27, 2020

24 by Roqueiro »»
Jun 1, 8:03 PM

» Can I skip this?

shiro-seishun - Jul 8, 2022

21 by Kaze1214 »»
May 25, 12:29 PM

Poll: » Liz to Aoi Tori Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Ame_Sama - Apr 21, 2018

134 by niknasr »»
May 21, 6:08 AM

» It is girls love?

DarKViVi66 - May 21, 2023

15 by Radnitzky1890 »»
Feb 16, 12:16 AM

» Can this movie be watched alone?

HidamariSeashore - Oct 19, 2018

11 by Stacias »»
May 15, 2022 2:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.