Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 8, 2018 3:09 PM
May 2015
i looked up background info about karolina styczyńska when i saw this in the upcoming list. apparently she is the first non-japanese person to ever be awarded professional status by the japan shogi association and is currently ranked at 1-kyu (one rank above when she was awarded professional status). she apparently got interested in shogi because it was in an issue of the naruto manga and then taught herself how to play online. her play online got her noticed by a female pro player in japan, kitao madoka, who invited her to japan and got the ball rolling on her involvement in the jsa.

i havent seen it but perhaps fans of 3-gatsu no Lion would be able to get into this because of the shogi overlap. i'm personally interested to see how dynamics of her home nationality play into things in the story.

it seems to be sponsored by calorie-mate, a japanese company which produces energy bars and other related foods. weird in that it seems to show up everywhere in the promotional material, but im guessing it wont really have any impact on the show itself lol

anyway, here's the trailer:

Runnee22May 8, 2018 3:14 PM
Jun 15, 2019 5:14 PM

Oct 2015
This was a good short movie. Karoline really loves shogi, she eats, breath, dreams and lives shogi, even though she's from outside Japan.

I personally am not fascinated by the sport by I liked 3-gatsu no lion (both seasons). Overall on this short it was just fine, nothing was anew or outstanding about. Just an outsider fascinated by a local traditional chess of Japan.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Dec 10, 2019 7:10 AM
Sep 2017
Video:

Apr 30, 2021 3:24 PM
Apr 2019
Is the video translated somewhere? could only watch it in polish
May 22, 2022 8:19 AM

Jul 2008
New link :)
And there is no dialogs so no need to look for a translated version @Jamesmarshallhay

Jun 7, 2022 7:09 AM
Apr 2019
Cainael said:
New link :)
And there is no dialogs so no need to look for a translated version @Jamesmarshallhay

OMG HAD NO IDEA

Thank you so much the ittle short was pretty much a lot of fun!
Jul 31, 2022 1:56 AM

Jan 2011
Runnee22 said:
she apparently got interested in shogi because it was in an issue of the naruto manga and then taught herself how to play online.
Damn, I remember hearing about this like a decade ago.
Jun 19, 2023 11:17 AM

Oct 2018
Fun little short with bouncy animation. Polish director apparently, nice.
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.