Forum Settings
Forums

Why Batman Ninja In English Is So Different From The Japanese Version "All the visuals are exactly the same in the movie, but the dialogue is maybe 90% different."

New
Apr 28, 2018 5:32 PM

Jan 2009
wtf? i have to watch the subbed version too then

"The Japanese version is different," Chu said. "All the visuals are exactly the same in the movie, but the dialogue is maybe 90% different."

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/why-batman-ninja-in-english-is-so-different-from-t/1100-6458513/

EDIT:

i have rewatch the movie with the japanese translation this time (not the english dub subtitles) and i did not see major differences lol

so if im going to rewatch this again im just fine with the english dub
degMay 3, 2018 12:12 AM
Apr 28, 2018 7:40 PM
christmas cake

May 2008
dehuman said:

As soon as somebody does actual subtitles for it.

Sounds like a title I'll be not-watching for awhile at this rate.
Apr 28, 2018 7:49 PM

Jan 2009
nx6 said:
dehuman said:

lol i have to wait for actual subtitles of the japanese audio too then
Apr 29, 2018 12:48 AM

Apr 2016
There is no Kevin Conroy for Batman, and no Mark Hamill for Joker ... so the only option left is japanese.
Apr 29, 2018 3:04 AM

Dec 2015
Swagernator said:
There is no Kevin Conroy for Batman, and no Mark Hamill for Joker ... so the only option left is japanese.

Ninja Batman has Tara Strong, Grey Delisle, Roger Craig Smith, Tom Kenny, Eric Bauza and Fred Tatasciore on the voice cast.
Those are all world class voice actors. Conroy and Hamill can't go on voicing these characters forever. Sooner or later you have to accept different people playing these characters and I couldn't think of a more talented group of people to do it.
Apr 30, 2018 3:32 PM

Aug 2016
nx6 said:
dehuman said:

Buy the digital version on amazon, its comes with both versions, it's what I did and it was worth it.
“I just spent the last two years thinking that you guys knew more than me about life and I just found out that you guys are just as dumb as me.” “Duh-doy.” “Yeah, duh-doy.”
Apr 30, 2018 9:16 PM
christmas cake

May 2008
JokerVentura said:

Buy the digital version on amazon, its comes with both versions, it's what I did and it was worth it.

Why the hell would I pay Warner Brothers for a show when they were too cheap to hire a translator or write a proper English adaptation for? Sounds like they haven't earned any of their keep on this -- would be better to just import it (with no English at all) from Japan if I wanted to "support the industry".
May 1, 2018 12:52 AM

Aug 2016
nx6 said:
JokerVentura said:

Why the hell would I pay Warner Brothers for a show when they were too cheap to hire a translator or write a proper English adaptation for? Sounds like they haven't earned any of their keep on this -- would be better to just import it (with no English at all) from Japan if I wanted to "support the industry".

Well they funded the entire project, I would say, they weren't that cheap. God knows why the writers rewrote the script for the dub, I've only watched the sub, so I really don't care about the dub. BTW when people like you don't pay for movies like this, it means low sales and warner bros don't give another Japanese studio another chance to do another dc character movie. So I would say warner bros aint cheap, you are.
JokerVenturaMay 1, 2018 1:12 AM
“I just spent the last two years thinking that you guys knew more than me about life and I just found out that you guys are just as dumb as me.” “Duh-doy.” “Yeah, duh-doy.”
May 1, 2018 1:18 AM
christmas cake

May 2008
JokerVentura said:

Well they funded the entire project, I would say, they weren't that cheap. God knows why the writers rewrote the script for the dub, I've only watched the sub, so I really don't care about the dub.

In case you missed the very beginning of this thread -- there is no "sub". You watched dubtitles. It was just as inaccurate.

BTW when people like you don't pay for this movie, it means low sales and warner bros don't give another Japanese studio another chance to do another dc character movie. So I would say warner bros aint cheap, you are.

1) What a travesty if we couldn't have another American superhero movie from Japan. How would I get the satisfaction of watching these characters on the big screen? It's not like there's a U.S. studio coming out with a half-dozen films about them every year. Oh wait...

2) Well I didn't realize Warner funded the entire thing -- that's different. But if that's true, that also means they would make money on it even if I did buy it from Japan.

3) I'm also not under any obligation to buy a movie (or watch it to start with) just to support an industry/company. That's what a BUSINESS is. If Warner screws up sales with their hijinks, it's on Warner's head. I wouldn't buy a movie without seeing it first anyway. In the modern world of video streaming services (a few of which I subscribe to), there's no reason to act like it's still anime in the 1990s and "blind buy" titles. Heck, I used to rent anime DVDs through the mail years ago from a service.
May 1, 2018 1:40 AM

Aug 2016
nx6 said:
JokerVentura said:

Well they funded the entire project, I would say, they weren't that cheap. God knows why the writers rewrote the script for the dub, I've only watched the sub, so I really don't care about the dub.

In case you missed the very beginning of this thread -- there is no "sub". You watched dubtitles. It was just as inaccurate.

BTW when people like you don't pay for this movie, it means low sales and warner bros don't give another Japanese studio another chance to do another dc character movie. So I would say warner bros aint cheap, you are.

1) What a travesty if we couldn't have another American superhero movie from Japan. How would I get the satisfaction of watching these characters on the big screen? It's not like there's a U.S. studio coming out with a half-dozen films about them every year. Oh wait...

2) Well I didn't realize Warner funded the entire thing -- that's different. But if that's true, that also means they would make money on it even if I did buy it from Japan.

3) I'm also not under any obligation to buy a movie (or watch it to start with) just to support an industry/company. That's what a BUSINESS is. If Warner screws up sales with their hijinks, it's on Warner's head. I wouldn't buy a movie without seeing it first anyway. In the modern world of video streaming services (a few of which I subscribe to), there's no reason to act like it's still anime in the 1990s and "blind buy" titles. Heck, I used to rent anime DVDs through the mail years ago from a
service.

Yes, you're not obligated to support the anime industry with blind buys, but you can't complain about there not being a subtitle version when there is one, you just have to pay for it.
May 1, 2018 2:03 AM
christmas cake

May 2008
I like how you quoted my entire message but only had a response to a single point.

JokerVentura said:
Yes, you're not obligated to support the anime industry with blind buys, but you can't complain about there not being a subtitle version when there is one, you just have to pay for it.

I can complain about companies releasing inferior products and thinking they're "owed" our support for doing it. Like making-up dialog and calling it subtitles. That is one of the reasons fansubs continue to exist long after companies first took notice of the medium and started doing localized products. In some cases, I can choose to just wait for a release that has actual subs and buy that. Like I did with some Miyazaki films.

How many flubbed anime purchases to do you have? I have hundreds of dollars over here.
May 1, 2018 4:47 AM

Aug 2016
nx6 said:
I like how you quoted my entire message but only had a response to a single point.

JokerVentura said:

I can complain about companies releasing inferior products and thinking they're "owed" our support for doing it. Like making-up dialog and calling it subtitles. That is one of the reasons fansubs continue to exist long after companies first took notice of the medium and started doing localized products. In some cases, I can choose to just wait for a release that has actual subs and buy that. Like I did with some Miyazaki films.

How many flubbed anime purchases to do you have? I have hundreds of dollars over here.

Bookshelves of manga, dvds and blu rays, plus figures, some I picked up at Nakano Broadway & Akihabara, none of it is flubbed. Fansubs are still around because not ever anime gets picked up by a western distributor. The Ninja Batman subs I watched were fine, no problems. I bet your one of those people who says all dubbed are inferior, arent ya. The industry aint perfect, but they do a good job most of the time.
May 1, 2018 7:12 AM
Apr 2016
The person in charge of the either adaptation is a retard. That is one reason. Also, different cultures attempt at adaptation? Japanese one seems to have failed really. If this was initially envisioned by Western visionaries (the subtitled dialogues in English are sometimes outright repugnant, which means it was), Japanese studio was supposed to translate it, not re-devise it. Ultimately none failed, because the film comes out as a real freak of a Batman spin-off.
Re:formed
May 1, 2018 7:25 AM

Oct 2015
@JokerVentura he already mentioned that you watched dubtitles a.k.a subtitltes from the script of the dub and not the sub so even with japanese audio, you can see how inaccurate it is just by making out what you're reading from the one you're hearing- that is if you understand what exactly they're trying to say. Don't misinterpret this as a reply to shit on the dub
May 1, 2018 7:30 AM
Apr 2016
EGOIST said:
@JokerVentura he already mentioned that you watched dubtitles a.k.a subtitltes from the script of the dub and not the sub so even with japanese audio, you can see how inaccurate it is just by making out what you're reading from the one you're hearing- that is if you understand what exactly they're trying to say. Don't misinterpret this as a reply to shit on the dub

Initial subtitles came from English version, wherein the lines were not simply cut, as they did in Japanese voice-over. Overall it was a very poor job, which would be a di-sas-tah, if the project was not overall a big joke.
AHAHA I have just seen what studio made it. Okay.
Awash by clarity;
I see it now
Bob team Batman
Daniel_NaumovMay 1, 2018 7:33 AM
May 1, 2018 9:02 AM

Aug 2016
Daniel_Naumov said:
EGOIST said:

Initial subtitles came from English version, wherein the lines were not simply cut, as they did in Japanese voice-over. Overall it was a very poor job, which would be a di-sas-tah, if the project was not overall a big joke.
Awash by clarity;
I see it now
Bob team Batman

You didn't see the scene where Popuko & Pipimi turn up, flip of The Joker, so head beheads them and says ''I know jokes, and you two aren't funny'' Than Harley dances on their corpses.
May 1, 2018 9:34 AM
Apr 2016
JokerVentura said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

Awash by clarity;
I see it now
Bob team Batman

You didn't see the scene where Popuko & Pipimi turn up, flip of The Joker, so head beheads them and says ''I know jokes, and you two aren't funny'' Than Harley dances on their corpses.

By the time it played I probably lost my remaining brain cells to fathom and remember, so yeah.
May 1, 2018 2:08 PM
christmas cake

May 2008
JokerVentura said:
nx6 said:

Bookshelves of manga, dvds and blu rays, plus figures, some I picked up at Nakano Broadway & Akihabara, none of it is flubbed.

You missed the point. Low-effort/botched releases that American licensees put out and think we should buy. I have Steins;Gate on BD, but I never watch it, because of Funimation's brightness boosting and more-visible banding they introduced on their crap encode verses the Japanese release. Same for the Serial Experiments Lain LE box set I have. I regret buying Black Lagoon on BD as well because, again, Funimation brightened the release. My Geneon DVDs look batter.

Would it kill Funimation to use two BD50's for a one-cour show, instead of a BD50 with 8-9 episodes and a BD25 with the rest? Packaging costs and such are all the same it would just be a small mastering/manufacturing difference.

I don't own Canaan because the English subs Sentai did don't even make sense in some places.

Some of these issues I can ignore (audio mastering on Spice & Wolf, contrast boosting on Angel Beats), some get fixed after people complain loudly enough (Code Geass Collector's Edition audio recall). But a lot are simply shrugged off by the makers and are QC-should-have-caught-this level mistakes, and I'm not even talking about willful medocrity like here with Batman Ninja. Buying poor quality products only teaches these companies such practices are acceptable.

I bet your one of those people who says all dubbed are inferior, arent ya. The industry aint perfect, but they do a good job most of the time.

Yawn. Red Herring much? There are anime I actually think are better in English dub than the original Japanese. Cowboy Bebop, FMA 2003, Gunslinger Girl... I recently rewatched Food Wars in English on HiDive and really liked it. I still like the sub better and FFF did better on-screen typesetting than Sentai, but the dub is good and I'm going to support it by buying it here in the future.
May 1, 2018 2:45 PM

Jan 2009
@nx6 and others that care

there is a japanese subtitles already (not dubsubs this time) just look for [Anime Land] dual-audio release

i checked the subs myself and im gonna rewatch the movie later
May 2, 2018 7:07 PM

Jun 2015
I got the Batman Blu-ray
https://twitter.com/ShonenChris/status/991411751915806721

And highkey I can confirm this. It makes the characters feel so different too. I watched it both in both. English with Dubtitles and Japanese with English subtitles correlating to the Japanese audio. So in short, the Blu-ray set has two subtitle tracks.
KaitouMay 2, 2018 7:32 PM
May 2, 2018 11:58 PM

Jan 2009
i have rewatch the movie with the japanese translation this time (not the english dub subtitles) and i did not see major differences lol

so if im going to rewatch this again im just fine with the english dub
May 3, 2018 7:08 AM

Jun 2015
They aren't major as in detrimental to the plot but personality wise they make a difference. Batman is more dramatic in the English dub.....and "poetic" for lack of better word.

To be fair though, from knowledge, Batman has kinda been like that so it's not like it's a bad Batman, just a bad interpretation of what was intended. Not necessarily a bad dub but that's subjective.
May 3, 2018 7:32 AM
Apr 2016
The worst disparity was Batman saying "It is YOU who will be put in the ground, Joker!" in Japanese, which is like a critical violation of the whole narrative. I am really saddened what Batman has to undergo this decade. Dark Knight's trilogy by Nolan was the last time Batman story was truly a Batman story.
May 3, 2018 11:12 AM

Jan 2009
Kaitou said:
They aren't major as in detrimental to the plot but personality wise they make a difference. Batman is more dramatic in the English dub.....and "poetic" for lack of better word.

To be fair though, from knowledge, Batman has kinda been like that so it's not like it's a bad Batman, just a bad interpretation of what was intended. Not necessarily a bad dub but that's subjective.

yep thanks for your thoughts, there is sure no major differences on the plot lines at least when it comes to the translation between japanese and english audio

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ninja Batman Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

deg - Apr 24, 2018

68 by amlg »»
May 1, 11:28 PM

» A Question about Batman .

_syedmuhammad__ - Aug 29, 2021

4 by Guts-Valley »»
Oct 24, 2021 5:43 AM

» Critics are loving this Anime

Jhon_Bacon - Apr 15, 2018

20 by Ronninn »»
Oct 12, 2021 9:07 AM

» joker looks like yagi

KuroudoAkabane - Aug 10, 2018

0 by KuroudoAkabane »»
Aug 10, 2018 8:14 AM

» Blu-Ray and DVD Info

Shinmurai-kuN - May 4, 2018

2 by tsubasalover »»
May 11, 2018 1:43 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.