Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Zero Two(02)'s relationship with Hiro + The misunderstanding with her character/personality

New
Jan 22, 2018 9:07 PM

Mar 2015
For those who were unsure-
02(Zero Two) never kissed any of her previous partners..She even states to Hiro that a kiss is a very special thing.
The reason she kissed Hiro is because she had found her Darling which relates to the Jian Bird part of the story that is brought up at the beginning of the first episode by Zero Two and Hiro and how she felt it was beautiful/romantic. This all also connects with the true meaning of the Strelizia and how Hiro was able to bring out its true form with her. This Continues on into the next episode where we see her romantic lovey dovey forwardness/devotion towards her Darling Hiro

Even the Lyrics to KISS of DEATH convey this

firemagnet said:

The manga's notes even explain that the Jian is an old parable of how a husband and wife (or lovers) must rely upon each-other in order to stay together and survive. Two perspectives, two minds, one complete whole.

Strelizia is the genus name of the "bird of paradise flower," also known as the "crane lilly," originating in south africa. In symbolic terms, it is associated with love, fidelity, consideration of others, and freedom. It's worth noting that the mech that takes the flower's name has its horn and headdress configuration shaped vaguely like the flower's petals.

Zero Two stated she has always been alone her whole life twice within the first episode..she is treated like either like a monster or someone who needs to restricted which is shown when her previous partner came to collect her and with how he acts towards her.. and her previous partner/s meant nothing to her which is shown in full when he died at the end of the first ep that she didn't care..Her previous partners were there as a requirement (to activate the mech) nothing more. When she met Hiro she takes interest in him because he wasn't afraid of her horn and even tried to save her because he thought she was drowning. She felt similarities to him in the sense they both felt they didn't have a place to belong. He treats her like a normal girl.. plus it is worth mentioning Hiro chose to pilot along side her at the end to fight with her

comment from Haruka Tomatsu (Zero Two's seiyuu)

本当にいろんな表情を持ってるし、心の傷や、苦しい過去を持っている女の子なんだけど、ヒロと出会って心境の変化があったり、心の波がすごく激しいので、演じてて楽しいですね。あとフランクスに乗ると人格が変わって、ヒロより男前になるので、ヒロがヒロインみたいな感じになるんですよ(笑)。

Actually, Zero-Two is a character with many different faces. She is a girl with manyscars on her heart and a painful past. However, thanks to meeting Hiro her heart starts to change and she starts opening up. Also, her personality changes when she pilots a Franxx. She is very gallant and manly so Hiro is like the heroine.

ArcusSoulApr 17, 2018 2:03 AM
Jan 23, 2018 7:07 AM

Jul 2015
No need to go deep in thought.

Hiro is the Darling
02 is the Honey (I'm just waiting for the cliche to become oficial when Hiro say it)

Hiro is the passive and 02 is the active (reversed roles). The backstory is just to give a justification for it.

The question that remains is how the cockpit looks like.

Jan 23, 2018 7:57 AM

May 2009
Waifufags can now be calm and shitposting ichigofags lost prime bait material.
Jan 23, 2018 8:19 AM

Oct 2015
AdrianRubinsky said:
No need to go deep in thought.

Hiro is the Darling
02 is the Honey (I'm just waiting for the cliche to become oficial when Hiro say it)

Hiro is the passive and 02 is the active (reversed roles). The backstory is just to give a justification for it.

The question that remains is how the cockpit looks like.

But sometime we need to made something clear
Jan 23, 2018 12:40 PM

Feb 2015
We know almost nothing so far about 002 or even about rest of characters.
As showed durig 1st ep, 002 had red skin, blue blood and longer horns as well as some chain like thing on her leg so she was prob nothing more than experimental rat and can be like that even now.
Rest of the children aren't in better situation, as mentioned by Naomi some of them mysteriously disappeared and later it was said that their only goal in life is to pilot the mechas so they can protect the elders.

We don't know much about anyone's past, how Strelizia's insides look like exactly, reasons why all 002's previous partners died or if it was really the 1st time she could fully activate it (I think so but we can't say for sure yet, perv old man's comment isn't really enough). We just got to know how these mechas work in the last ep but it wasn't all for sure.

It's been just 2 episodes, without actual backstory it's normal that people will think that 002 already kissed someone since she knew what was kiss and how to do it. Maybe Hiro wasn't the first one, maybe she had someone in the past.
I also wouldn't dare to say that she never kissed anyone until it will be actually confirmed.
Simply saying that it's a special thing doesn't indicate that she have never done it before.
She said that it's been long since she saw a human cry, not that it was the first time so maybe she had some other "Darling" or someone close to her before.
I'm watching anime since 2012. I also play games, sometimes.

Don't bother me if you want to 'become friends' or things like that.
It's tiresome. I know you just want to collect some meaningless numbers.
Thought: How many people sparked H. Charlotta just for blue pot?
Jan 23, 2018 6:12 PM

Mar 2015
Hakaminah said:

We don't know much about anyone's past, how Strelizia's insides look like exactly, reasons why all 002's previous partners died or if it was really the 1st time she could fully activate it (I think so but we can't say for sure yet, perv old man's comment isn't really enough). We just got to know how these mechas work in the last ep but it wasn't all for sure.

It's been just 2 episodes, without actual backstory it's normal that people will think that 002 already kissed someone since she knew what was kiss and how to do it. Maybe Hiro wasn't the first one, maybe she had someone in the past.
I also wouldn't dare to say that she never kissed anyone until it will be actually confirmed.
Simply saying that it's a special thing doesn't indicate that she have never done it before.
She said that it's been long since she saw a human cry, not that it was the first time so maybe she had some other "Darling" or someone close to her before.

My post is in part in regards to the negative views i have seen in relation to her character..yours is one of the positives
ArcusSoulJan 23, 2018 6:24 PM
Feb 11, 2018 11:08 PM
Jan 2018
look at this picture, in the foreground we see hiro and 02, in the background there are their shadows, 02 when it was red and had long horns, and maybe hiro ...
in my opinion, the shadows indicate their past!

Feb 12, 2018 3:39 AM

Feb 2018
Angel942 said:
look at this picture, in the foreground we see hiro and 02, in the background there are their shadows, 02 when it was red and had long horns, and maybe hiro ...

An interesting theory, considering most discussions I've read say it's foreshadowing the fact Zero Two becomes/is a monster.

Personally I'm rather curious about the thingy on non-shadow Hiro's head. I haven't seen this pointed out before, but the shadow doesn't have it, and neither does the Hiro in the show (as far as we've seen, anyway).

Maybe this is related to
SafeSix5Feb 12, 2018 3:50 AM
Feb 12, 2018 7:50 AM

Feb 2016
Zero Two is an existence. She will be a 'good' character for me. Don't care evil versus good. She will do a lot of bad things, very bad things for the sake of hers and his. Remember, the other team's reaction about what happened two years ago; some members are killed because of her.

My curiosity lays on why she haven't escaped yet, even before Hiro. What is holding her back?

At the end of the day, I like 'out of frame' characters who keep fighting to find/to build a place called home.
Feb 12, 2018 11:26 AM
Jul 2014
SafeSix5 said:
Angel942 said:

An interesting theory, considering most discussions I've read say it's foreshadowing the fact Zero Two becomes/is a monster.

Personally I'm rather curious about the thingy on non-shadow Hiro's head. I haven't seen this pointed out before, but the shadow doesn't have it, and neither does the Hiro in the show (as far as we've seen, anyway).

Maybe this is related to

Yep, you're both right. It (his horn) can be seen even more clearly in the first image, at the very left:

I'm surprised that this hasn't received that much attention....
Feb 12, 2018 12:13 PM

Nov 2007
I haven't seen horn's growing from there so I really didn't notice. The shadow of 002 is definitely more demonic and 016 doesn't have the horn thing in his shadow.

Also, paying closer attention in the opening sequence which initially was strands of hair looks like a horn growing out of his head.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Feb 12, 2018 12:14 PM

Jul 2015
I posted this in ep5 discussion:

I thought it was a reference that maybe I'm watching this series in the antagonists POV. I'm more inclined to think it is just a misleading tip from the director but who knows... the real enemy might be Hiro and 002, destroying what is left of humanity.

Feb 12, 2018 12:19 PM

Nov 2007
There's also this theory that the Kiss passed 002's gene to 016. And if the gene is passed through kisses, then my theory is 015 will get her own set of horns and truly become the REM of this anime. :P
Coronavirus.
Feb 12, 2018 12:30 PM

Jul 2015
shanimebib said:
There's also this theory that the Kiss passed 002's gene to 016. And if the gene is passed through kisses, then my theory is 015 will get her own set of horns and truly become the REM of this anime. :P

I have a feeling the story is very similar to the Eden of the bible. They even pray to Papa as a god. (No surprise here coming from former Gainax staff)

Maybe 002 is like Eve offering the forbidden fruit to Hiro, and the children will be kicked out of the paradise (killed). The leaders were very concerned about blood being mixed and might actually think the mix is dangerous.

Feb 12, 2018 3:44 PM
Jan 2018
AdrianRubinsky said:
shanimebib said:

I have a feeling the story is very similar to the Eden of the bible. They even pray to Papa as a god. (No surprise here coming from former Gainax staff)

Maybe 002 is like Eve offering the forbidden fruit to Hiro, and the children will be kicked out of the paradise (killed). The leaders were very concerned about blood being mixed and might actually think the mix is dangerous.

you saw the scene in ep 5, while hiro and 02 are coming out of the room holding hands, 02 responds tightened her too.
in your opinion was it a sincere thing or to be seen?
Feb 12, 2018 4:29 PM

Jul 2015
Angel942 said:
AdrianRubinsky said:

you saw the scene in ep 5, while hiro and 02 are coming out of the room holding hands, 02 responds tightened her too.

I don't know. There isn't enough information. 002 can be anything at this point. Let's see what Ep 6 will look like.

Also, Dr. Franxx has gone missing since Ep1. I was sure he was some kind of caretaker of 002. He looked like someone who had a key role in the story. At least he's on the OP credits. Was he the one who scheme 002 and Hiro to come together? He did say he was doing something the higher ups won't understand.

Feb 12, 2018 5:54 PM

Nov 2007
AdrianRubinsky said:
Also, Dr. Franxx has gone missing since Ep1. I was sure he was some kind of caretaker of 002. He looked like someone who had a key role in the story. At least he's on the OP credits. Was he the one who scheme 002 and Hiro to come together? He did say he was doing something the higher ups won't understand.

He has a horn like thing one the right side of his skull. Won't be surprised if he has dino blood as well. Or perhaps he experimented something on himself that made him like that.
Coronavirus.
Feb 13, 2018 1:19 AM
Jan 2018
AdrianRubinsky said:
Angel942 said:

I don't know. There isn't enough information. 002 can be anything at this point. Let's see what Ep 6 will look like.

this is another scene that I say for me is the rain that stop 02, but I don't understand if she stop becuse she like the rain, or she remember hiro..
Angel942Feb 13, 2018 1:30 AM
Feb 13, 2018 7:50 AM

Apr 2015
Angel942 said:

this is another scene that I say for me is the rain that stop 02, but I don't understand if she stop becuse she like the rain, or she remember hiro..

Yes it was certainly the rain that broke up this tense situation. I'm confident that the rain made her remember Hiro because before and after this scene they had this conversation about him causing it to rain and she clung to the idea that he could actually make it rain. It's a nice and roundabout way of reaffirming us that she actually does care about Hiro especially since the scene before from Ichigo's perspective seemed to have implied the exact opposite.
Feb 13, 2018 1:52 PM
Jan 2018
ArcusSoul said:
For those who were unsure-
02(Zero Two) never kissed any of her previous partners..She even states to Hiro that a kiss is a very special thing.
The reason she kissed Hiro is because she had found her Darling which relates to the Jian Bird part of the story that is brought up at the beginning of the first episode by Zero Two and Hiro and how she felt it was beautiful/romantic. This all also connects with the true meaning of the Strelizia and how Hiro was able to bring out its true form with her. This Continues on into the next episode where we see her romantic lovey dovey forwardness/devotion towards her Darling Hiro

Even the Lyrics to KISS of DEATH convey this

firemagnet said:

The manga's notes even explain that the Jian is an old parable of how a husband and wife (or lovers) must rely upon each-other in order to stay together and survive. Two perspectives, two minds, one complete whole.

Strelizia is the genus name of the "bird of paradise flower," also known as the "crane lilly," originating in south africa. In symbolic terms, it is associated with love, fidelity, consideration of others, and freedom. It's worth noting that the mech that takes the flower's name has its horn and headdress configuration shaped vaguely like the flower's petals.

Zero Two stated she has always been alone her whole life twice within the first episode..she is treated like either like a monster or someone who needs to restricted which is shown when her previous partner came to collect her and with how he acts towards her.. and her previous partner/s meant nothing to her which is shown in full when he died at the end of the first ep that she didn't care..Her previous partners were there as a requirement (to activate the mech) nothing more. When she met Hiro she takes interest in him because he wasn't afraid of her horn and even tried to save her because he thought she was drowning. She felt similarities to him in the sense they both felt they didn't have a place to belong. He treats her like a normal girl.. plus it is worth mentioning Hiro chose to pilot along side her at the end to fight with her

comment from Haruka Tomatsu (Zero Two's seiyuu)

本当にいろんな表情を持ってるし、心の傷や、苦しい過去を持っている女の子なんだけど、ヒロと出会って心境の変化があったり、心の波がすごく激しいので、演じてて楽しいですね。あとフランクスに乗ると人格が変わって、ヒロより男前になるので、ヒロがヒロインみたいな感じになるんですよ(笑)。

Actually, Zero-Two is a character with many different faces. She is a girl with manyscars on her heart and a painful past. However, thanks to meeting Hiro her heart starts to change and she starts opening up. Also, her personality changes when she pilots a Franxx. She is very gallant and manly so Hiro is like the heroine.

Fappa said:
Angel942 said:

Yes it was certainly the rain that broke up this tense situation. I'm confident that the rain made her remember Hiro because before and after this scene they had this conversation about him causing it to rain and she clung to the idea that he could actually make it rain. It's a nice and roundabout way of reaffirming us that she actually does care about Hiro especially since the scene before from Ichigo's perspective seemed to have implied the exact opposite.

these messages reassure me! look this image, hiro when he instinctively defends 02 from this character, to avoid that he reacts badly or suffers other traumas!
Like the jian bird she is changing it first of all, to be compatible with him then to fulfill the desire of hiro, and he instinctively defends her and seeks her! they can fly!
However, get ready for twists and things that are very unexpected in this series!
Sorry for the italian language on the sub, but this a screenshot
Angel942Feb 13, 2018 2:21 PM
Feb 16, 2018 8:29 PM

Jun 2017
I think 02 did achieve to bring Sterilizia's true form piloting it with other partners but change it into a tiger like creature when she suck her partner dry..This is confirmed what APE members said upon Sterilizia's first introduction in episode 1
Mar 4, 2018 3:30 AM
Jan 2018
So with this ep 8 we can say that all the manipulative theories from 02, are not they right?
Mar 4, 2018 2:50 PM

May 2013
Angel942 said:
So with this ep 8 we can say that all the manipulative theories from 02, are not they right?

She was never really manipulative she just keeps a lot of secrets to herself and used her knowledge and feelings for Hiro to encourage and push him further in order to becoming equal. The doctor said he should not be consumed by her emotions but Hiro now wants that she should be honest with him and know more about her as a person, as a girl and most important through his own accord. Basically means Hiro is now ready to enter the next stage of their relationship.
Mar 5, 2018 8:27 AM
Jan 2018

I want to apologize if you ask me these questions that probably have already been answered! But at the beginning of the series I could not follow much!
I wanted to ask, why in this photo Are the 02 / hiro vectors upside down compared to the other couples?
Is there any relation to the fact that 02 hugs hiro from above in op?
Or the Title hiro blue / darling, 02 / red franxx?
Will there be any relationship with the honeys hiro having taken klaxx's blood, or does he represent strelitzia then love?
Angel942Mar 5, 2018 8:36 AM
Mar 5, 2018 9:46 AM

Feb 2018
Angel942 said:

I want to apologize if you ask me these questions that probably have already been answered! But at the beginning of the series I could not follow much!
I wanted to ask, why in this photo Are the 02 / hiro vectors upside down compared to the other couples?
Is there any relation to the fact that 02 hugs hiro from above in op?
Or the Title hiro blue / darling, 02 / red franxx?
Will there be any relationship with the honeys hiro having taken klaxx's blood, or does he represent strelitzia then love?

You think too much..
Mar 7, 2018 2:15 AM
Jan 2018
"darling, hold on to me never leave me"
she intends that he is his wing.
This is best girl!
Mar 8, 2018 3:10 PM
Jan 2018
I honestly wish they didn't do the love interest war in this show. I'm getting tired of every childhood friend being in love with the main character of every romance anime. Honestly whats the point with this anime. Hiro was 3 second away from throwing everything away before he met Zero Two, so the idea that Ichigo doesn't want to let him go is horrible. It just makes Ichigo look like a selfish person if she wants to take Hiro from Zero Two.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 6, 2018

331 by otakuanity »»
May 15, 1:14 PM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 22 Discussion

TheFreycook - Aug 8, 2018

37 by otakuanity »»
May 15, 12:06 PM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 21 Discussion

joe_g7 - Aug 8, 2018

44 by otakuanity »»
May 15, 8:47 AM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

joe_g7 - Aug 8, 2018

66 by otakuanity »»
May 14, 9:31 PM

Poll: » Darling in the FranXX Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 26, 2018

258 by otakuanity »»
May 14, 3:14 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.