Forum Settings
Forums
New
Assuming I do a great job writing the character (he's likable and all) and the suicide attempt, what do you think about the idea of a character trying to commit suicide?
Apr 12, 2017 10:09 PM
Dec 2016
Not thinking about committing suicide, but my protagonist is.
The problem is that suicide could be a little of a trigger for some people. It's too real. Although some people are very understanding of what can lead to suicide. And then are some who see suicide as an easy and weak escape from life.
My character does have legitimate reasons for wanting to commit suicide but it will take me an essay long paper to explain his motives. But long story short, he has Major Depression.
I want this story to be rather dark and close to real life, but is suicide too dark and real?
What do you think?
MelanieYin-ChanApr 13, 2017 1:01 PM
Apr 12, 2017 10:43 PM

Nov 2016
So you want this story to be close to real life, but you don't want it to be too real? You can't cater to people's potential triggers or differing opinions at the cost of a realistic experience with major depression that your protagonist is going through.

Bölvat es okkr, bróðir,
bani em ek þinn orðinn;
þat mun æ uppi;
illr er dómr norna.
-Hlöðskviða
(The Battle of the Goths and Huns)
Apr 12, 2017 10:46 PM
Jul 2018
Now this might sound a little bit cold but if we're going to start to pay attention to every little thing that might upset people we might as well only make kids movies.

Suicide is a real thing. So is death, people dying, racism, sexism etc. You should never back down from writing serious things in fear of how people might react.

If you believe you can pull it off well then go ahead and do it.
Apr 12, 2017 10:52 PM

Feb 2013
Spoiler- Willy Loman commits suicide in Death of a Salesman. You'll be fine.
Apr 12, 2017 11:05 PM

Mar 2008
I feel sorry for those who want to do it, have tried it, and those who died from it. If you do write about it the reasons for how down they felt should be understood by who reads it or else it will just be bad writing.
Apr 12, 2017 11:06 PM

May 2012
It's a good thing. Too many people taking up space on earth.
Apr 12, 2017 11:26 PM

Mar 2008
Interrrrrpetgyu said:

But some of them are cute gay guys. You just lost some opportunities with that.
Apr 12, 2017 11:27 PM

May 2012
traed said:
Interrrrrpetgyu said:

But some of them are cute gay guys. You just lost some opportunities with that.

I'd have to be cute myself for that to matter.
Apr 12, 2017 11:29 PM

Oct 2007
You talk of two different ways in which suicide can be perceived by people and this is a bit reductive, but for arguments' sake, let's consider just these two points of view. I think for people who see it as a weak and easy way out of life, they would probably reconsider if the character's situation becomes unbearable to an extent where living might be more of a hardship than committing suicide (sometimes people on this crowd also disagree purely for religious reasons). This could make you go down a very tragic path that can make the people on the second crowd feel like you're either justifying suicide ONLY in a very super extreme situation, like idk, being captured by enemy soldiers during war or something or you're trivialising their suffering and suicide ideation if they lead comfortable lives but still deal with mental illness, for example. You probably have to decide which crowd you want to cater to.

I don't think suicide is too dark because it's something that is not talked about enough, but ultimately is your decision as the writer.
密室殺人はなぜ美しいのか。
Apr 13, 2017 9:07 AM

Mar 2017
Story-wise, it's not that dark and if the depression that your protagonist is feeling is too high above, so much that he considered suicide, then i think it's okay. Many stories telling deep and dark story doesn't usually go to the length to commiting suicide, so your story might need to be a bit more darker and the character's depression must be very deep enough.

But in real life it's not right.
No matter how depressed you are or how traumatized or whatever you are feeling, you must never take your own life.
It's time to play the Game folks!
Apr 13, 2017 10:32 AM
Dec 2016
vulturs said:
So you want this story to be close to real life, but you don't want it to be too real? You can't cater to people's potential triggers or differing opinions at the cost of a realistic experience with major depression that your protagonist is going through.

I’ve got this uncontrollable need to please people! *insert crying icon*
But good to know that people won't get triggered by the subject of suicide.
I can now proceed.
Apr 13, 2017 11:30 AM

Feb 2017
I mean if the character's well written then I'll like the character. I kinda have a few problems with how you worded the question though. It seems like you're asking if the choice of killing himself can be written so it feels like the character is right in doing so, kinda getting your audience to agree with him. Not every choice a character makes has to be made into a right choice. Most characters I tend to like make very wrong choices, as long as the story does acknowledge that they're wrong in doing so.

I'd personally consider suicide to be a bad choice in real life, but that choice is something that could make a character more interesting if done well.
Apr 13, 2017 11:43 AM

Oct 2012
suicide is sexy and it's all i ever think about. <3
If life ain't just a joke
Then why are we laughing?

If life ain't just a joke
Then why am I dead?
Apr 13, 2017 12:18 PM
Jul 2018
Kill yourself if you even attempt suicide.
Apr 13, 2017 12:57 PM
Dec 2016
JKKH said:
I mean if the character's well written then I'll like the character. I kinda have a few problems with how you worded the question though. It seems like you're asking if the choice of killing himself can be written so it feels like the character is right in doing so, kinda getting your audience to agree with him. Not every choice a character makes has to be made into a right choice. Most characters I tend to like make very wrong choices, as long as the story does acknowledge that they're wrong in doing so.

I'd personally consider suicide to be a bad choice in real life, but that choice is something that could make a character more interesting if done well.

Yeah, I had a hard time wording this question. Sorry about that.
I was just worried that suicide might "too far" for some people, or if people will immediately find the character weak (or a pussy) for even considering it which is something my brother told me. I talked to him about it and it made me worry what the general audience will think.
I hope I made that clear.
But it seems like I'll be able to write the subject of suicide as long as the characterization of the protagonist is done well.
Apr 13, 2017 12:58 PM
Dec 2016
Veneficia said:
Kill yourself if you even attempt suicide.

Okay
Apr 13, 2017 1:03 PM

Feb 2010
woops i posted a poll result without reading it...
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Apr 13, 2017 1:19 PM

Jan 2016
Now that I think about it, there's some anime/manga where a protagonist commits suicide? The only one I've seen is
Solaire_ofAstoraApr 14, 2017 11:50 AM
Apr 13, 2017 5:02 PM
Dec 2016
Solaire_ofAstora said:
Now that I think about it, there's some anime/manga where a protagonist commits suicide? The only one I've seen is Aoi Bungaku ...

I don't know. I don't watch anime as much as most people do on this website, but I'm sure there is. I would actually be surprised if there wasn't any since Japan has a high suicide rate.
MelanieYin-ChanApr 13, 2017 5:15 PM
Apr 13, 2017 5:04 PM
Dec 2016
hazerddex said:
woops i posted a poll result without reading it...

HOW DARE YOU!

Apr 13, 2017 5:15 PM

Jun 2015
It's something you can definitely write about, but try not to make a cringe story. It's a serious topic and deserves a serious effort. I don't mean it has to be a serious story (black comedies with the topic are great) but it's very offputting to read the equivalent of a 13 year old 'life sucks and nobody understands' pseudo suicide note.

I mean, do what you want. I was just noting what I prefer.

Apr 13, 2017 8:49 PM

Feb 2015
If you attempted it to look so funny but at the same time quite deep, I think you'll grab tons of attention.
Apr 14, 2017 5:00 AM

May 2015
I think suicide is the most fundamental right there is. I also think it's overall a good thing, it sees man completely overcoming his survival instincts. That's awesome.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Apr 14, 2017 5:20 AM

Oct 2016
I haven't seen any anime/manga MC that really killed himself as the main ending. They were usually saved by their heroine or friends.

So maybe going with that route could be the shock factor to your work. Go for it.

I was nothing until the moment I met you.

Apr 14, 2017 6:59 AM

Feb 2013
Sorry too lazy to read that but I well tell you something about suicide:

Suicide is the last solution for someone suffering "and by last I mean really last".
Apr 14, 2017 9:06 AM
Dec 2016
OneBrainCellLeft said:
No. I've read plenty of literature that involves suicide. I recently had to do a research essay for my class and the story involved suicide. You must be a little kid to ask this question.

I'm actually in college, but thank you for informing me in the commonality of suicide in literature. Can you recommend me any books or short stories that handle the subject of suicide well?
Apr 14, 2017 11:10 AM
Oct 2012
MelanieYin-Chan said:
I don't know. I don't watch anime as much as most people do on this website, but I'm sure there is. I would actually be surprised if there wasn't any since Japan has a high suicide rate.

Japan has a strange relationship with Suicide, in that it can be considered honorable to do so. It is a legitimate way to express protest at a ridiculous situation or to right a wrong, but at the same time if hearkens back to the pre-war period, so it is not overly mentioned.

Still quite a few anime deals with it
https://www.reddit.com/r/Animesuggest/comments/26xh6n/anime_that_deals_with_suicide/

But as for your OP. Don't worry about others. As long as the character is true themselves and not an attempt by you to emotionally manipulate your reader, then anything you do will be fine.

Best bit of advice for a writer - always be true to your characters!
Apr 14, 2017 11:29 AM

May 2015
Solaire_ofAstora said:

I'll never watch this series in my life, but shouldn't you spoiler tag such important, vital ending information?
ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Apr 14, 2017 11:54 AM

Jan 2016
@ashfrliebert

It's a bit special, because it's inspired by real poets whose history is known, where the authors have taken the stories, but maybe you're right, I've taken for granted 😥
Apr 14, 2017 1:43 PM

Aug 2011
MelanieYin-Chan said:
I want this story to be rather dark and close to real life, but is suicide too dark and real?

Suicide is a pretty common theme.

And as for my thoughts on suicide...It's time to summon mah nigga Schopenhaur.

"They tell us that suicide is the greatest piece of cowardice... that suicide is wrong; when it is quite obvious that there is nothing in the world to which every man has a more unassailable title than to his own life and person." -- From Studies in Pessimism.

I won't advise people to commit suicide, but the government has no place in prohibiting it with law.
incisorr said:
i love it when people start acting like some neutral almighty unbiased godly judge and they even believe their own shit, suddenly its not their thoughts and opinions anymore but the righteous justice god way, they are unbiased, non-subjective, they just are! To be honest, everyone is like this quite often, me included, but i don't forget myself and i still post a lot of personal shit which is what forums are made for , if they didn't want us to have our own style and posts it would be an article instead a forum thread.
Apr 14, 2017 1:54 PM

May 2013
NekkoArc said:

"They tell us that suicide is the greatest piece of cowardice... that suicide is wrong; when it is quite obvious that there is nothing in the world to which every man has a more unassailable title than to his own life and person." -- From Studies in Pessimism.

stuff like this cracks me up... some of these old Philosophers seem to have gotten pretty damn depressed lol. Same with Nietzche.

It is true that you have ownership over your own life, but that doesn't make suicide any more of a solution. It's still horrid.

There are many ways to take ownership over your own life. You know sometimes I wonder if it isn't some sick joke where all committing suicide will do is throw you exponentially deeper into the pit you're already in. I get the feeling its a really bad idea ;)
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Apr 14, 2017 2:27 PM

Feb 2017
MelanieYin-Chan said:
JKKH said:

Yeah, I had a hard time wording this question. Sorry about that.
I was just worried that suicide might "too far" for some people, or if people will immediately find the character weak (or a pussy) for even considering it which is something my brother told me. I talked to him about it and it made me worry what the general audience will think.
I hope I made that clear.
But it seems like I'll be able to write the subject of suicide as long as the characterization of the protagonist is done well.

Yeah I was just saying that it's not always necessarily a bad thing for a character to show weakness, but I guess it depends on the type of character you're trying to write. Well anyways good luck to you on your story :D
Apr 14, 2017 7:42 PM

Feb 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:
I think suicide is the most fundamental right there is. I also think it's overall a good thing, it sees man completely overcoming his survival instincts. That's awesome.
geeze the edge, get help mate. its pretty heinous encourageing people to commit suicide.
Apr 14, 2017 8:01 PM

Jan 2015
Thoughts of suicide is pretty common. I have them all the time. But the thought of actually dying is pretty scary. You see, people don't want to kill themselves. It's a result of either mental illness and/or because they are in a position where their lives are so bad that suicide is a preferred escape to suffering. It's a serious issue that needs research, I suggest looking up what people that have failed suicide attempts have to say on what they were feeling, what they were feeling, and what exactly was it that lead them to try, and modeling a character off of that.
Apr 15, 2017 2:04 AM

May 2015
Kurtvonschroeder said:
TheBrainintheJar said:
geeze the edge, get help mate. its pretty heinous encourageing people to commit suicide.

It has nothing to do with being edgy. This is the kind of shit you find in philosophy. Sorry our ideas can seem dangerous.
Apr 15, 2017 2:17 AM

Feb 2017
suiciding in a story is not that bad at all, if the protagonist have enough reasons to suicide, thats that. I do not think suiciding is a bad choice, %99 of the time its stupid,
but if you can catch that %1 in your story, it will turn out to be great story imo
A friend would not just follow another's dream... a friend would find his own reason to live. -Griffith

People who perish in other’s battles are worms… If one can’t live their life the way they want, they might as well die. If you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you... you won't be able to walk.- Guts

Providence may guide a man to meet one specific person, even if such guidance eventually leads him to darkness. Man simply cannot forsake the beauty of his own chosen path. -Guts

Apr 15, 2017 10:06 AM

Feb 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:
Kurtvonschroeder said:

It has nothing to do with being edgy. This is the kind of shit you find in philosophy. Sorry our ideas can seem dangerous.
pardon me for not taking stock in your personal philosophy as it is worthless to me, I would call you a hypocrite for not practicing what you preach honestly. seriously though get help mate.
Apr 15, 2017 1:28 PM

May 2015
Encouraging a specific person to commit suicide, in a direct manner, I'm pretty sure is legally equivalent to murder. Philosophically thinking suicide is a good viable option, or a human right, or whatever is not even remotely the same thing as that.

Now, I personally don't advocate suicide..but it's different.

ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴロゴロゴロ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ ゴゴゴゴゴゴ
Apr 15, 2017 1:38 PM

Aug 2014
It is for weak people OR with people with mental illness OR with smart people that know they better die instead of facing their future (example: some war leader who is about getting captured xD)
Apr 15, 2017 1:52 PM
Dec 2016
ModeratelyHuman said:
Thoughts of suicide is pretty common. I have them all the time. But the thought of actually dying is pretty scary. You see, people don't want to kill themselves. It's a result of either mental illness and/or because they are in a position where their lives are so bad that suicide is a preferred escape to suffering. It's a serious issue that needs research, I suggest looking up what people that have failed suicide attempts have to say on what they were feeling, what they were feeling, and what exactly was it that lead them to try, and modeling a character off of that.

Yeah, I should do research on people who attempted suicide and failed, or people who decided not to attempt suicide.
Apr 15, 2017 2:55 PM

Jul 2013
I often play with the idea of commiting it later in life to test the weirdness of the universe we live in, quantum immortality would be an interesting thing to be able to prove to yourself.

In the dynamics of writing your mindset isnt in the right place. If you want it to be dark, hopefully to prove something, then you can't wonder if youre going too far. Otherwise it wont be dark. It'll just be the shade of gloom painted over modern media.

Suicide is a parlour trick for darkness, as rape is. We dont think about the gravity of suicide anymore, weve been muted by exhausted use. The only question you should be asking yourself pertaining to the inclusion of suicide should be whether you're using it because it's dark, or because your character had acknowledged the merit of the stoicist's silver lining.
Apr 15, 2017 3:49 PM

Sep 2007
If you want it to be realistic, then go ahead and write about it. What are you waiting for?

Apr 15, 2017 3:56 PM
Dec 2016
Apsythisophic said:
I often play with the idea of commiting it later in life to test the weirdness of the universe we live in, quantum immortality would be an interesting thing to be able to prove to yourself.

In the dynamics of writing your mindset isnt in the right place. If you want it to be dark, hopefully to prove something, then you can't wonder if youre going too far. Otherwise it wont be dark. It'll just be the shade of gloom painted over modern media.

Suicide is a parlour trick for darkness, as rape is. We dont think about the gravity of suicide anymore, weve been muted by exhausted use. The only question you should be asking yourself pertaining to the inclusion of suicide should be whether you're using it because it's dark, or because your character had acknowledged the merit of the stoicist's silver lining.

I would say that the inclusion of suicide ideation and attempt are for the factor of realism. Hansel, which is the name of the protagonist, suffers from depression with psychotic symptoms. However, his mental illness is a consequence of the emotional neglect from his adoptive mother, society's unfair judgement of his species, the murders he (accidentally) committed in the past, and the slow releasing grip he has on his own biology due to the genetic changes provoked by each deadly encounter.
Of course, this is only a small description of his situation, but it is understandable as to why he wants to commit suicide. He worries that his lack of control will translate to him murdering his friends and family. He undergoes vigorous training to gain control of his temperament, but he is met with failure. At times, he grows so obsessed that his methods are sometimes borderline insane. His friends attempt to help him with reassuring words, but Hansel distances himself from them especially after he violent reacted against his best friend.
I guess you can say his attempted suicide is altruistic. Without him, his friends and family will be safe. However, it is, to some extent, selfish. He will place his loved ones through a journey of sorrow.
Fortunately, or unfortunately, he decides not to end his own life. His story is not over, but his life gets progressively worse.
Apr 15, 2017 4:11 PM
Dec 2016
Nek0 said:
If you want it to be realistic, then go ahead and write about it. What are you waiting for?

Apr 15, 2017 4:22 PM

Jul 2013
MelanieYin-Chan said:
Apsythisophic said:

I would say that the inclusion of suicide ideation and attempt are for the factor of realism. Hansel, which is the name of the protagonist, suffers from depression with psychotic symptoms. However, his mental illness is a consequence of the emotional neglect from his adoptive mother, society's unfair judgement of his species, the murders he (accidentally) committed in the past, and the slow releasing grip he has on his own biology due to the genetic changes provoked by each deadly encounter.
Of course, this is only a small description of his situation, but it is understandable as to why he wants to commit suicide. He worries that his lack of control will translate to him murdering his friends and family. He undergoes vigorous training to gain control of his temperament, but he is met with failure. At times, he grows so obsessed that his methods are sometimes borderline insane. His friends attempt to help him with reassuring words, but Hansel distances himself from them especially after he violent reacted against his best friend.
I guess you can say his attempted suicide is altruistic. Without him, his friends and family will be safe. However, it is, to some extent, selfish. He will place his loved ones through a journey of sorrow.
Fortunately, or unfortunately, he decides not to end his own life. His story is not over, but his life gets progressively worse.

Suicide isn't the literary taboo it used it to be. Its approached with a different kind of delicacy than it used to be. Realism is great and all but realistic jargon is a literary sin, as is the poor implementation of provocative concepts. Suicide is something that, if your protagonist falls into contemptation of it, should dominate your naritive as it does your characters mind. If something exists in fiction it should be there for a tangible reason beyond 'because it should'. A suicide attempt should be the personified apex of the protagonists old thought, for limited to the length of the novel, the protagonist should be standing on a knife's edge between suicide and the other way that must exist if they can decide on another alternative. One doesn't accidentally fall into thoughts of suicide, and they sure dont fall out of them.

If your abilities are too imature to pass by a reader, that has seen where you claim your protagonist to be , without a scoff, then you should probably stay away from it. If not, go for it.

Just 'cause the suicide bug is rife in media doesn't mean you should throw it in just 'cause.

Apr 15, 2017 4:22 PM

Oct 2016
You can always go backwards and kill the MC right off the bat.

That's when the story flows when he's contemplating his action and life. He stalks around his family/friends after he 'died'.

I was nothing until the moment I met you.

Apr 15, 2017 5:22 PM
Dec 2016
Apsythisophic said:
MelanieYin-Chan said:

Suicide isn't the literary taboo it used it to be. Its approached with a different kind of delicacy than it used to be. Realism is great and all but realistic jargon is a literary sin, as is the poor implementation of provocative concepts. Suicide is something that, if your protagonist falls into contemptation of it, should dominate your naritive as it does your characters mind. If something exists in fiction it should be there for a tangible reason beyond 'because it should'. A suicide attempt should be the personified apex of the protagonists old thought, for limited to the length of the novel, the protagonist should be standing on a knife's edge between suicide and the other way that must exist if they can decide on another alternative. One doesn't accidentally fall into thoughts of suicide, and they sure dont fall out of them.

If your abilities are too imature to pass by a reader, that has seen where you claim your protagonist to be , without a scoff, then you should probably stay away from it. If not, go for it.

Just 'cause the suicide bug is rife in media doesn't mean you should throw it in just 'cause.

Hansel suffered from suicidal ideation before, but never took physical action to complete it. This story isn't a drama, but a science fiction, so there's so much to Hansel then what I described to you. He's very complicated.
Also, realistically, suicide can dwindled in a person's cognition but it does take time. I'm a psychology major with an emphasis in psychopathology, so I do have vast knowledge about this particular subject.
Of course, the idea has to be has strong as the writing. As long as the events mature naturally and not artificially, I should be fine. There is a reason why writers hire editors and alpha readers.
Apr 15, 2017 6:19 PM
Jul 2018
TheBrainintheJar said:
I also think it's overall a good thing, it sees man completely overcoming his survival instincts. That's awesome.

It's an interesting phenomenon but why is that good? Is evolution bad?
Apr 15, 2017 7:28 PM

Aug 2016
only weak ass beta characters off themselves

survival of the fittest muthafucka
People who put MAL stats in their sigs are losers lol
Apr 16, 2017 2:09 AM

May 2015
Vokren said:
TheBrainintheJar said:
I also think it's overall a good thing, it sees man completely overcoming his survival instincts. That's awesome.

It's an interesting phenomenon but why is that good? Is evolution bad?

All value judgments exist inside our heads, and some things can't be generalized. Do I think life is overall a bad thing and extinction is the best? Yes.

But let's take a more personal angle. A person is the one who decides whether his own life is worth living or not. Suicide is when that person can fulfill his negative value judgment.

Kurtvonschroeder said:
TheBrainintheJar said:

pardon me for not taking stock in your personal philosophy as it is worthless to me, I would call you a hypocrite for not practicing what you preach honestly. seriously though get help mate.

You assume a lot of things here, especially that suicide is easy or that believing it is a right means you want to die. I also believe people have the right to have gay sex, yet I don't want to have gay sex.

More topics from this board

» do you eat to live or live to eat?

707supremacist - May 4

29 by traed »»
42 seconds ago

» Are video games a waste of time and money?? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - May 27

80 by animeadept »»
35 minutes ago

» it's the weekend and my brains are really fried right now

tsukareru - May 25

36 by tsukareru »»
1 hour ago

» What is a food you hate that everyone likes? ( 1 2 )

ThisAaugh - Aug 30, 2023

81 by Rhae »»
2 hours ago

» What does your username mean? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

54 by Rurihime »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.