Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Descending Stories
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]
Dec 30, 2018 7:05 AM

Mar 2015
Fuck that revelation.
Jan 3, 2019 12:38 AM
Jun 2014
This show is beautiful and like a love letter to the art of story telling.

The added implication that Bon is the father of Shin is hugely problematic and detracts horridly from the relationship that has been nurtured between Bon and Konatsu throughout the series. It goes against Bon's presented straight-edge value system. It distorts the nature of that relationship from a struggling mismatch of a family who slowly comes together into a disgusting, pedophillic grooming scenario; get out of here with the "they aren't genetically related" shit, relationships go beyond blood. The author clearly has some issues if that is the message they are trying to send.

To preserve my sanity and appreciation for such a deep and compelling story and set of characters, I believe that Konatsu is yanking Eisuke's chain. Eisuke is such an obsessed fanatic of Bon, to the point where he has harassed Bon throughout his life over details and minutia which appeal to his fantasy--primarily because of his obsessive unrequited love of Miyokichi. By allowing him to believe his arrogant head canon as reality she pulls the wool over his eyes and the karmic retribution talked about throughout the series is served.

As for my speculation to who the father is, I think that it was actually the Aniki, the Boss' son. As Yotaro brashly challenged the Boss, assuming it was him who fathered Shin, the Boss had to take one for his own fool of a son--who he complains about having to be there for to Bon later. The son nervously downplays his interaction with Konatsu when challenged about it at the beginning of that chapter. Shin's appearance (which is pretty obviously composed to appeal to the author's red herring that Bon is the father) could come from the son too, who is much thinner than his father.

Some of the scenes cited as foreshadowing Bon and Konatsu's relationship are decontextualized to suit that narrative. For example, the scene where Konatsu says to Bon "Why are you here during the day?" (or something to that effect) was because he would have been in the theatre during the day at all times, which he responds to by saying it is because he has asked the theatre to lighten his work load: hence, he is home during the day.
I am not fluent in Japanese myself, but many places it has been noted that the scene where he says to Sukeroku "Are you mad for what I did to your daughter" was actually mistranslated from something more along the lines of "How I've raised your daughter."
And lastly where Bon thanks the Boss, saying that he owes him. I do not think that this is for covering for him as the father, but rather thanking the Boss for allowing Yotaro to leave the gang in the first place (and perhaps also for not having Yotaro offed for that horrendous display where he challenges him over the fatherhood of Shin).

I have so much more to say about the depth of ethics and morality presented through the interactions of these characters who are so expertly fleshed out. For the beauty of storytelling and how it manifests in so many different ways, the ego and hubris of art and the for-what of art: is it for the realization of itself as art in that instance by the artist? Or is it for the experience of art by its audience, whether immediately present or synthetically present through media. The fight between tradition and innovation, which hits me in a very personal spot as an indigenous person struggling with our own art forms--do we remain strict to our tradition (which there are small shreds hiding about and the whole is obscured by extinction) or do we allow the form as a whole to change, along with our people who are no longer as we were prior to contact. Is to allow that change not going to lead to the destruction of the form in truth? This series addressed major questions like that eloquently.
Jan 6, 2019 12:44 AM

May 2016
That bastard Bon banged Konastu now you have done you fox, Shinnoske was just way to cute to look like Gang Boss.

Yotaro sure put on some weight but still glad to see him cheerful as ever.

Anyway enough of that, I think it was a good show storywise it was 9/10 for me charcters were pretty good as well.

Konatsu is probably the least favorite character for me and her daughter gave of same vibes she was so cute and cheerful before the accident feels bad man :|

Overall 9/10 is well deserved.
Jan 16, 2019 9:59 AM

Aug 2009
As soon as Sensei starting talking about Shinnosuke birth father, I was like YES YES YES GIMME DAT SWEET REVEAL. I had been waiting on it for so long and I was afraid they were never going to provide. The scene between Kiku and the Yakuza boss a few episodes back was so cryptic and weird, there HAD to be more.

The reveal of Kiku being the father shocked me. I can't believe how many bombshells this anime dropped this season. I'm fucking loving it.

This was a great last episode. I loved the timeskip and how it showed how rakugo has gone through some much needed change. Very progressive and I like it.

9/10 for this season, while the first is on an 8/10. I can't give this a 10/10 score because I felt ambivalent towards the supernatural route this season took in the latter half, but I can forgive it. This was such a great watch and it's definitely one of my favorite anime TV shows.
Mar 14, 2019 6:23 AM

Jun 2007
Dat father implication ruined for me everything honestly. I wish I just have stopped at S1
i even couldn't look at how Shin's sister clung to him. god knows what could have been IMPLIED there
and Yota looks too bad, 16 years is not that much
SorvarinMar 14, 2019 6:28 AM
see you, space cowperson . . .
Apr 18, 2019 3:16 AM

Feb 2013
Rakugo will never die!
Apr 25, 2019 10:06 PM
Dec 2018
Aside from the hints of Bon possibly being Shin's father, this season was so freakin good. Closure for everyone and everything. I was happy Bon finally enjoyed his last moments. I became so heavily invested in these characters and was super upset & happy because S2 ended everything so well. I too am curious about Shin's dad, but I'm going with the no side. There are hints that show that it is a possibility, but there's also hints that he's not. He raised her and has always seen her as a child even up until his death. I was suspicious at first bc of the conversation Kiku had with the mafia boss about a "debt" that he could never repay or when Konatsu confirmed she loved Kikuhiko (i.e. "I'm a slave to my blood" line) or that Shin looks more similar to Kikuhiko with the eye color & facial features but I think that's what this author was trying to get at. Showing you a story you really may never find out the truth to. Like how Kikuhiko lied about Sukeroku & Miyokichi's death to protect Konatsu's sanity. AHHHH anyway, the entire anime was a joy to watch & I shall leave myself to get over the ambiguity on what I'm curious about. 10/10
Jun 11, 2019 8:31 PM

Sep 2017
There were so many great moments from not only this episode but from the entire series, so this will likely turn into an essay as I break this episode down and give my final thoughts of not only the second season but of Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu as a whole. I may not write reviews, but I can sure as hell waste just as much time writing this.

Shinichi Omata is a brilliant director. He not only directed Kaguya-sama, one of my favorite shows from this year, but he directed both season one and two of Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu, and I believe this second season to potentially be his magnum opus. On a direction level, this series was completely brilliant, and I think his talent as a director is completely encapsulated in this final episode.

The episode once again begins without an OP, which is significant in establishing the lighter tone of the episode. We begin by seeing, for the first time, a 16-year-old Koyuki greeting the now 23-year-old Shinnosuke, who looks eerily similar to Yakumo. The two characters are just as good as every other character in this series, having great back and forth chemistry. Shinnosuke calling Koyuki the "cutest ever" is funny and adorable, and his fear for his mother was just as amusing. We get to see the much older Higuchi and Konatsu, who after exchanging a few words with the siblings sends them off. A few more words are exchanged, and Higuchi makes an observation/guess that Shinnosuke is actually Yakumo's son and not the gang boss' child, implying he truly is a genius of rakugo, having the blood of Yakumo and Sukeroku and being the student of Yotaro. Skipping ahead a bit, as you just watched the episode so a full recap obviously isn't necessary, we see Yotaro get declared the 9th Generation Yakumo (something I never actually thought I would see happen). We then get to see Shinnosuke deliver an incredibly amusing Hatsutenjin. As the new Yakumo was addressing the crowd, the only thing I wished for was for him to perform Shinigami, and he did. His Shinigami was incredible, perfectly meshing his style with the previous Yakumo's. In his exhaustion, he even temporarily sees his former master and ends his performance with a non-traditional joke to lighten the mood. The series, at long last, concludes with some highlights of the best performances from the series.

Given how much I have written about this show, I believe it is very obvious I hold Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu in high esteem. While I wouldn't necessarily describe it as a masterpiece (although it is very, very close) I do believe it to be an exceptional and remarkable piece of animation that anyone and everyone should see. I give Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Sukeroku Futabi-hen a very high 9/10.

GytanzoJun 29, 2019 8:04 PM
Jun 12, 2019 2:57 PM

Jun 2015
The first thing I thought when I saw grown up Shinnosuke was "why does he look so much like Yakumo and not Sukeroku?" and for this to be the truth? it ruined his fatherly figure for me
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Jun 24, 2019 6:49 PM

Jul 2014
This was an absolutely brilliant show.
Jul 11, 2019 10:27 PM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
Me in episode 3:
Low-key thought that the baby's father was Yakumo. Thank god it isn't.

Me in the last episode:
Ahahahahahahahhahaa....ha...
Now that I actually had time to swallow that piece of information, it isn’t as disturbing as I thought 9 episodes ago (though still Disturbing). I also find it weird that Konatsu said she had Shinnosuke for Yakumo’s and Sukeroku’s sake and to have the former keep doing Rakugo. Like that’s what Shinnosuke was born for? Reminds me of Naruto’s and Sasuke’s kids. They’re probably going to end up with each other with their child being the Avatar just so the kid can have all the powers. But I guess that’s not entirely the reason why Shinnosuke was conceived. Konatsu said she was overwhelmed with a lot of feelings back then. What about Yakumo? Maybe he saw her as his former lover? Maybe he got drunk one time? Maybe he thought he was going to Hell anyways and decided to do it at the spur of the moment? Maybe his fondness for her turned into a fondness for something else? Not trying to justify their relationship; I’m trying to figure out what the author intends with the characters’ intentions, besides just “daddy issues”. I love this show so much, that I can easily put this revelation past me. After all, Shinnosuke was and is so cute and he is a beautiful product of something that once died. He is classic Rakugo reborn into the modern era.

Why I thought Shinnosuke was the former Yakumo’s son:
- He damn looks like him
- When the “whodunnit” question appears, it’s likely to be a character who we are familiar with, not someone we barely know. *rules out boss*
- Konatsu wanted to take the name of the father with her to the grave. While it would seem controversial for the Boss to be the father, it would even be crazier if Yakumo was actually the father.
- The boy is VERY interested in Rakugo. Even though he was raised with that background, he seems more passionate about it than his sister.
- Like Konatsu, who was drawn to her father’s Rakugo, you can say that the older Shinnosuke feels the same way.
- In the afterlife, Shinnosuke appears when Yakumo is brought on-stage.
- Shinnosuke seems to be the vessel of a fusion of classical and modern Rakugo. He is basically the revived version Yakumo.
- He damn looks like him.

I love that the current Yakumo stayed true to himself and dedicated himself to making Rakugo accessible to everyone, for the sake of Rakugo. He did this after his master passed away, when he was still holding on to the old and restrictive tradition of Rakugo. I think what he did for his master was noble and loyal of him. His actions make it almost unbelievable that he was in part of a gang.

And the icing on the cake goes to Yakumo’s performance of Shinigami. One would expect him to do a comedic Rakugo, but instead he chose to do a tribute to his late master. Just like we expected the 8th generation to do a serious Rakugo when he was in the afterlife, he did a light-hearted one instead. What a twist of events! The way Yotaro (to spare the confusion of names) holds Yakumo in high esteem, yet blazes his own path of Rakugo storytelling is heartwarming and beautiful to see. He is confident in his own style while also appreciating a different set of Rakugo. They compliment each other as master and student well.

Amazing that Matsuda lived with 3 generations of Rakugo masters; he truly is the MVP of this anime.
MistyBlueJul 11, 2019 10:33 PM
Dec 7, 2019 10:56 AM

Sep 2019
I fucken knew it. I predicted that kiku is the real father. Seems like my prediction was right.

Score: 6/10
Dec 21, 2019 4:42 PM

Nov 2016
Hah, I kinda figured that the mafia boss wasn't Shinnosukes father, they kept things way too ambigous in that episode and obviously for a reason.

And wow, I dunno how to feel right now. I'm really incredidbly gratified with the last couple of episodes and this finale. The theatre was rebuilt and rakugo shines as bright or even brighther as during the previous generations. But on the other hand, it really sucks that it's already over. It was a series with characters so endearing that you didn't want it to end. It also exceeded in other areas such as sound and directing too. Also never would've guessed that I would enjoy the rakugo performances to such an extent as I did.

Overall a masterpiece of a coming-of-age story, really deserved 10/10 from me.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 25, 2020 2:30 PM
Nov 2019
Absolutely loved it
Feb 4, 2020 4:33 PM

Oct 2012
Good for you if you think the father was someone else, but theres no other reason to put that in the show, right at the end imo.

Either I can view their relationship through a realistic lens and view it as abusive and depressing, which youre obviously not intended to do and ruins the series. Or I can view it as I'm apparently intended to, as a healthy, consensual sexual relationship between a young woman and a man 30 years her senior who raised her by himself since she was like 5. Which brings the believability of their relationship down to like bad soap opera levels.

I guess this is just a weird josei trope, but in a show this believable and emotionally involving it was definitely a let down.
ChromephoneFeb 4, 2020 5:16 PM
Mar 22, 2020 4:37 AM
Apr 2016
I KNEW IT, I KNEW IT, I KNEW IT! I thought saying "Could it be Kiku's child by any chance? Since he did say 'What I did to your daughter'" would make me sound completely crazy (in spite of some people saying that in the episode discussion). I'm glad it turned out that Kiku left legacy behind!

10/10
Apr 5, 2020 11:36 AM

Aug 2011
Hansen_ said:

To preserve my sanity and appreciation for such a deep and compelling story and set of characters, I believe that Konatsu is yanking Eisuke's chain. Eisuke is such an obsessed fanatic of Bon, to the point where he has harassed Bon throughout his life over details and minutia which appeal to his fantasy--primarily because of his obsessive unrequited love of Miyokichi. By allowing him to believe his arrogant head canon as reality she pulls the wool over his eyes and the karmic retribution talked about throughout the series is served.

That's how I'm, going to leave off on this anime. I really loved every aspect of this series and that was just a downer. What's makes it so bad is that I actually believe it.

After all these years, there was no reason for Konastu to keep her child's father a secret, unless there really was a reason. She could have simply said no, even if it was bullsh**.

Therefore, I'm going to disillusion myself and create an image to maintain my appreciation for the series.

Apr 24, 2020 10:39 PM
Oct 2018
Great show, really enjoyed it. But is yakumo is the father of shinnosuke? Not sure how I feel about that.
Jun 22, 2020 9:23 AM

Mar 2019
Honestly, it would have been fine with me if the anime ended at the last episode. I still feel like Bon not waiting for Sukeroku was dumb (because he could have done it and it doesn't make sense why he went alone) but yea.
Apparently, when doing Shinigami (whis is probably my favorite if not top 3 best stories) the one who appeared in Bon and Yotaro's vision was not Miyo/Sukeroku and Bon.It must have been the Shinigami wanting to claim their life, but as Sukeroku said, shinigami could do that if he has a "body" so that's why I think.But damn,that's scary as hell. Overall I think I'll give this 8-9/10. It had the potential for a 9/10 or maybe 10/10 but there were things that didn't make sense.And I love how Matsuda is still living.He doesn't die. But yea, I would recommend this in the proper context.
Alex_TheForestJun 22, 2020 10:05 AM
Come on man,where is that Noragami season 3 masterpiece.We want it, Bones!

Jul 1, 2020 10:59 AM

Jul 2013
Oh God...

This is EXACTLY why I never feel 100% comfortable with father-figure/surrogate daughter shows.

After this and Usagi Drop, I don't think I'll watch one again. You spend a whole series mentally building this bond between characters only for it to be tarnished.

People are trying to rationalize the relationship to help themselves enjoy the show, but I'm not lying to myself. Yakumo being Shin's dad is weird and gross, and if the scenario happened in real life, Yakumo would be considered a predator and a pervert.

Makes me regret crying so hard at his death. As good as this show is, and it was, wish I had never watched. Please, give me that time back so I can actually go back and watch something decent.
Jul 5, 2020 4:24 PM
Mar 2016
Hansen_ said:

The added implication that Bon is the father of Shin is hugely problematic and detracts horridly from the relationship that has been nurtured between Bon and Konatsu throughout the series. It goes against Bon's presented straight-edge value system. It distorts the nature of that relationship from a struggling mismatch of a family who slowly comes together into a disgusting, pedophillic grooming scenario; get out of here with the "they aren't genetically related" shit, relationships go beyond blood. The author clearly has some issues if that is the message they are trying to send.

As for my speculation to who the father is, I think that it was actually the Aniki, the Boss' son. As Yotaro brashly challenged the Boss, assuming it was him who fathered Shin, the Boss had to take one for his own fool of a son--who he complains about having to be there for to Bon later. The son nervously downplays his interaction with Konatsu when challenged about it at the beginning of that chapter. Shin's appearance (which is pretty obviously composed to appeal to the author's red herring that Bon is the father) could come from the son too, who is much thinner than his father.

Some of the scenes cited as foreshadowing Bon and Konatsu's relationship are decontextualized to suit that narrative. For example, the scene where Konatsu says to Bon "Why are you here during the day?" (or something to that effect) was because he would have been in the theatre during the day at all times, which he responds to by saying it is because he has asked the theatre to lighten his work load: hence, he is home during the day.
I am not fluent in Japanese myself, but many places it has been noted that the scene where he says to Sukeroku "Are you mad for what I did to your daughter" was actually mistranslated from something more along the lines of "How I've raised your daughter."
And lastly where Bon thanks the Boss, saying that he owes him. I do not think that this is for covering for him as the father, but rather thanking the Boss for allowing Yotaro to leave the gang in the first place (and perhaps also for not having Yotaro offed for that horrendous display where he challenges him over the fatherhood of Shin).

I have so much more to say about the depth of ethics and morality presented through the interactions of these characters who are so expertly fleshed out. For the beauty of storytelling and how it manifests in so many different ways, the ego and hubris of art and the for-what of art: is it for the realization of itself as art in that instance by the artist? Or is it for the experience of art by its audience, whether immediately present or synthetically present through media. The fight between tradition and innovation, which hits me in a very personal spot as an indigenous person struggling with our own art forms--do we remain strict to our tradition (which there are small shreds hiding about and the whole is obscured by extinction) or do we allow the form as a whole to change, along with our people who are no longer as we were prior to contact. Is to allow that change not going to lead to the destruction of the form in truth? This series addressed major questions like that eloquently.

You hit the nail on the head, in my opinion.
Aug 8, 2020 1:58 PM
Nov 2010
Not bad overall, but not amazing, either, as the story was too empty at times and some characters were hardly fleshed out despite being fairly present. Some things on the morality side were not to my liking, especially the insinuation that Bon/Kiku is the father of Shinnosuke, which is on a whole other level of disgusting and is less acceptable in terms of writing compared to the other immoral stuff.
Tomislavr7Aug 8, 2020 2:02 PM
Aug 10, 2020 6:15 PM

Apr 2009
I really don't see why this season is rated higher than the previous one.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 3, 2020 7:40 PM

Apr 2015
Sorry but they ruined the show with Shinnosuke being Yakumo son
Sep 4, 2020 5:19 AM
Feb 2018
That father reveal was what, kinda crazy. Holy didn't even cross my mind. This just shows how much of a mess konatsu has been in for a majority of her life and to see Yota bring her happiness is amazing. When I found out Matsusa was alive I laughed so loud. I actually thought he was dead. I think what really made this a great thing for me was the yota scene at the end and every generation beneath the sakura trees and also the beautiful s1 ed which I loved so much. I teared up. Beautiful ending. 9/10.
Sep 8, 2020 12:33 AM

Nov 2016
A masterful coming-of-age story. Many touching moments. Better than season 1. 10/10
Jan 7, 2021 7:09 AM

Jul 2017
Great episode and conclusion overall to what's been a slightly disappointing but still good season of Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu. Nice to see Yotaro become the new Yakumo, Konatsu become the first female rakugo storyteller and even their kid Shinnosuke become a rakugo performer too (with their daughter Koyuki while not performing, cheering them in the background regardless). I love how they focused on rakugo here and advancing it once the 8th generation Yakumo passed on with new stories, new boundaries being broken and new goals to continue the art of rakugo for generations to come rather than taking away rakugo with the old Yakumo and the previous generation. I wish they built up to this particular aspect better but still, handled well here. Nice to see Yotaro and Konatsu have a long happy marriage with loving kids and both being able to do what they love to do, perform rakugo with a good audience surrounding them. Even seeing Matsuda here was nice too, glad to see him alive and hearty at 95 years old and nice also seeing Eisuke's stories being used now, advancing the rakugo generation from beyond the classics from previous generations.

I'll give this season a 7/10. It's a season of great moments and masterful directing/voice acting but the story doesn't flow as cohesively as the first season and there were some little parts where I was either bored, uninterested or wish wasn't a part of the anime since it felt a bit too out of place with the tone and themes of the show. Yakumo's character arc was a mixed bag for me too, but at least Konatsu and Yotarou's characters stole the season for me by quite some distance to still make it a good season regardless. Overall anime I'd rate an 8.
Jan 19, 2021 7:29 PM

Feb 2012
A satisfying conclusion, although the second season as a whole wasn't as good as the first. It's hard to say exactly why but in comparison to the first season the difference is clearer. One obvious flaw I saw while watching was that some of the rakugo stories were repeated too often, particularly some that were already introduced in the first season. I get that they did it to show how different characters tell the stories differently, but it killed the pace at times. Also, in the first season the stories usually reflected what was going on in the plot. This season it happened more towards the end, but early on I couldn't make any connection, probably because the plot at the beginning was all over the place.

A more serious flaw was the plot and character development. In the first season the plot revolved around the difference between the main characters and the complex feelings it induced, the competition and affection, at times dislike. This drama let us know a great deal about the characters, even if their essence stayed pretty much the same from childhood to adulthood. Here instead of such drama we had the emergence of the new generations and the gradual decline of Kikuhiko. And maybe also the development of Konatsu from an angry young woman to a respected storyteller. But she was the only character in the entire series to be affected by events; my view on the series is that all the other characters were more affected by the passage of time rather than what happened onscreen. Kikuhiko may have been affected by the deaths in the previous season, but this development happened between seasons. While this adds a degree of realism, it also takes away tension. And while conflict isn't absolutely necessary to make a satisfying series (I watch a lot of slice of life), it is a good storytelling tool to make us know more about the characters. Unlike the first season, I feel that at the end of the second one I don't know much more about the characters than I did at the beginning. And that is what made the second season more stale.

I still give this season a generous 8/10. I rarely give scores above 7, so I do consider it one of the best series of last years despite these flaws.
Feb 24, 2021 3:00 PM

Apr 2019
Beautiful story from start to finish, amazing ending.

Mar 4, 2021 5:50 PM

Jul 2016
Wow, what a series, simply magnificent. Having also read the extra chapter linked to the last volume seems to me quite obvious that Shinnosuke's father is neither Yakumo nor the Boss and is also confirmed by the fact that Bon's only love is Shin, but I would not want to deepen the discussion here. The only thing that disappointed me is the mystery that continues to exist in the death of Shin and Miyokichi, I don't understand where fiction ends and reality begins, before or after Shin's "Shibahama"? And what does Miyokochi really feel for Shin? I am also happy that Bon has found serenity and has left the remorse behind him also thanks to the meeting with Shin and Miyokichi, but above all thanks to the feelings expressed by Konatsu, he really didn't deserve all the hatred that she has always said to feel. For the rest I am glad that Konatsu found a man who loves her (which her mother desperately wanted) and Yota became the Ninth.
LevaisMar 4, 2021 6:09 PM
Mar 12, 2021 5:38 PM
Aug 2020
Damn, that was such a good anime. kept watching ep after ep and couldn't stop. 10/10!! That shinigami at the end gave me the chills as well 0-0. suggee!
Mar 20, 2021 6:45 AM

Mar 2018
Such a lovely show. The first half of this season originally left me feeling lesser of it than the first season as Yotarou lacked much of the depth Sukeroku had along with the connection he had with Yakumo. Even with that considered, the second half of this season really kicked into overdrive in terms of impact on the viewer which really helped distract from any distaste for Yotarou as a character.

As for Konatsu, she started her life with trauma early on, leaving her with many conflicting emotions that carried long into her life which makes such a reveal make sense. Whether it's morally right or wrong is something I could care less about and doesn't change how I perceive the show and it's impact on me. This is a story to be told, not a fulfillment for the viewer to project on.

Easy 9/10 for this one with an 8/10 for the first season
Celest__Mar 20, 2021 7:06 AM
Apr 9, 2021 6:41 AM
Apr 2020
What an unexpectedly decent series and great ending indeed!

I came across to this random anime and wondering why it has a really high score on both season, so I came to checked and for quite some time watched it. At first after watching the series first very long-length episode, I feel like dropping this cuz no matter what rakugo they performed, I can't seem to get myself get interested on it but affer giving it a chance and watching it further, I found myself now really attached and entertained to it, especially in this sequel. Plus the character relationships and heavy drama stuffs are all very well made that makes the anime more and more enjoyable to watch. I didn't really expect thst studio denn would d come up with this one. It's a bit similar to the masterpiece 3-gatsu no lion and simply ties its greatness (atlest for me). Really glad that I sticked with this tlll the end. I rate the first one an 8 but to this second one, you have my perfect 10/10 score for me :)

But seriously, is it what I think it is? That Shinnosuke's real father is Yakumo? That's a bit plot twist huh.. I guess Komatsu's feelings toward Yakumo aren't all "I Want To Kill You I Hate You" stuffs, but has some romance in it...
Jul 20, 2021 5:08 PM

Aug 2011
wow what a beautiful series. It's true what can be gone one day, someone else can revive it. The story of their rakugo was full of pain and trauma and beauty and joy. I really enjoyed all the characters, their flaws and passions felt so real compared to most anime. I'm really glad to see Matsuda alive and through the 3 generations of Yakumo. He really helped fill in the pieces of the story that needed clarity. The pacing felt perfect and the ending left me with a bittersweet taste, and I know I'll have nostalgia later on in my life about this anime.
desu desu binches
Sep 5, 2021 12:04 PM

Jul 2014
Damn.. turns out I was right about Yakumo being the father.

Amazing show through and through. I'm glad I finally picked it up.
Sep 8, 2021 5:06 PM
Dec 2016
Finally finished the show S1 and S2.

I’d give the whole series and 8.5 with S1 being a 9 and S2 being an 8.
It’s very wholesome, definitely a series for an older audience. I did feel as others have stated S2 had problems with coherence.

I love learning about stuff through anime and I was introduced to this show through Case File n°221: Kabukicho and learning about other Rakugo anime’s.

S1 mostly taking place in the past and then fast forwarding to the present was a big flip on styles. This is not the reason for the coherence.

The big father reveal was shocking, I had to rewatch that scene just to see if I heard it right, then confirmed on the forums that others heard the same thing. Seeing how it was a tiny blip in a fast paced epilogue episode wasn’t enough to detract from the series as a whole, i have mixed feelings about it, there was need to soil such a wholesome series with something like that, in other anime’s I’d be like dam that sucks and keep watching. I will defend the right of the original creator to do whatever they want with the story.

I would recommend this to a friend.
Sep 26, 2021 9:33 PM
Oct 2020
Having just binged 26 episodes. Man what stories Im gonna be rewatching this for the anecdotal value. But, I’m gonna be that guy here and say, apart from thé rakugo, i didn’t like this ending one bit. Thank god this came out before the word simp existed because my god a moment of silence for the Yotarou of life, our MC. Is it disrespectful to want to know who the father of the child you are helping to care for is? Or better yet to not be ok with being settled for as a consolation prize? I just don’t like the ending for the Mc tbh, this loopy chick was not the only option for you and they play it off as if she’s doing him a favour like brooo why is my man left to pick up the pieces every time. Being a good man doesn’t equal taking on whatever your ‘friend’ asks of you regardless of circumstance, responsibility? Piss off that’s what the FATHER should take you bean. He got straight up Stockholmed into that relationship. Hate me but the poignant music and the cool stories doesn’t detract from the one staring me in the face and we are constantly reminded of the fact that he is a second and even third choice for this bitch by the conversations she has!
Cmon y’all there ain’t nothing complicated or deep about a girl using her youth to ho3 around and act out and then come back to the guy who will ‘accept her no matter what’ when she’s knocked up. Change my mind.
Oct 9, 2021 5:39 PM

Aug 2015
Mich666 said:
Hydra0411 said:
That father revelation at the end put me off quite considerably.

For all the people who are confused about this revelation they actually forshadowed it well, and even though they didn't go as far as to tell it, they made it pretty much obvious as early as this scene in episode 2:

So just rewatch that part to get the hint.

What a ridiculous "hint". That scene literally begins by making an analogy of how Sukeroku made Konatsu sleep by telling the stories of him with Yakumo doing the same. Or what is the same, that scene explicitly tells you that Yakumo is her father figure. And that's what this "plot twist" spoils.

The problem with the plot twist isn't that it's just disgusting, it's that it doesn't make sense with the personalities of both characters. Yakumo really wanted Rakugo to die with him and Konatsu hated Yakumo for years, those are two of the biggest points of this season. All the supposed clues that some of you are citing in this thread are ambiguous. The only scene in the series that makes you think something else is happening is when Yakumo thanks the Yakuza boss, but that's about it.

Personally, I enjoyed this season and I think it's a good anime. But that twist did not let me enjoy the ending and for me it spoiled all the construction of these two characters that had been done throughout these two seasons.
KenelOct 9, 2021 5:42 PM
Jan 5, 2022 3:39 AM

Nov 2020
So my doubts were confirmed! I saw it coming from long ago!
The scene at the graveyard in the last episode of S1, where Kiku asks Sukeroku if he would forgive him for what he did to his daughter..
In the end it was Yakumo all the time, he is the real father of Shinnouske.
---- Life is nothing but goodbyes ----

Jan 21, 2022 12:34 PM
Mar 2017
UltimateKai said:
Having just binged 26 episodes. Man what stories Im gonna be rewatching this for the anecdotal value. But, I’m gonna be that guy here and say, apart from thé rakugo, i didn’t like this ending one bit. Thank god this came out before the word simp existed because my god a moment of silence for the Yotarou of life, our MC. Is it disrespectful to want to know who the father of the child you are helping to care for is? Or better yet to not be ok with being settled for as a consolation prize? I just don’t like the ending for the Mc tbh, this loopy chick was not the only option for you and they play it off as if she’s doing him a favour like brooo why is my man left to pick up the pieces every time. Being a good man doesn’t equal taking on whatever your ‘friend’ asks of you regardless of circumstance, responsibility? Piss off that’s what the FATHER should take you bean. He got straight up Stockholmed into that relationship. Hate me but the poignant music and the cool stories doesn’t detract from the one staring me in the face and we are constantly reminded of the fact that he is a second and even third choice for this bitch by the conversations she has!
Cmon y’all there ain’t nothing complicated or deep about a girl using her youth to ho3 around and act out and then come back to the guy who will ‘accept her no matter what’ when she’s knocked up. Change my mind.

Agree 100%
It was a decent story but I just can't atand the simp glorification here and the celebration of her hoe behaviour. She became EXACTLY like her mother even though she said she didn't want to. It's just ridicoulus how times have changed and the whitewashing of certain behaviour. In 1950 Miyo acted like a w***e and behaved in questionable ways and everyone can agree on that no problem. In 1990 Konatsu is acting in a VERY similar way but she's a liberated modern woman who's acting perfectly fine. Or you make up whatever excuse for her behaviour. I'm sure Miyo didn't have the easiest upbringing either but no excuses for her...
I really went from disliking and liking all the characters during the show which doesn't happen often...
Thought s1 was great, s2 not so much
Detector1977Jan 22, 2022 1:26 AM
Jan 22, 2022 9:38 PM
Oct 2020
Detector1977 said:
UltimateKai said:

Agree 100%
It was a decent story but I just can't atand the simp glorification here and the celebration of her hoe behaviour. She became EXACTLY like her mother even though she said she didn't want to. It's just ridicoulus how times have changed and the whitewashing of certain behaviour. In 1950 Miyo acted like a w***e and behaved in questionable ways and everyone can agree on that no problem. In 1990 Konatsu is acting in a VERY similar way but she's a liberated modern woman who's acting perfectly fine. Or you make up whatever excuse for her behaviour. I'm sure Miyo didn't have the easiest upbringing either but no excuses for her...
I really went from disliking and liking all the characters during the show which doesn't happen often...
Thought s1 was great, s2 not so much

Totally agree; the end she seemed almost proud of it, especially that last Bon convo, which is fine, but you can’t have it both ways where her life was super hard but she also got to do whatever the heck she wanted :’) She would’ve had a much harder time breaking out of the path that Miyo went down and she was left without anyone but Yo and I just feel like he is expected to rebuild his own life and hers for no real reason ? Rethinking about the relationships makes my head hurt lol. If you want to make a character driven story then make the consequences realistic too. I highly doubt that a genuine nice guy like Yotarou wouldn’t have gone out and found someone in the years especially after HOW Konatsu left and then returned.
It was very ‘wrap it up with a bow’ to me, just brushed off as if that’s the best he could hope for. I’m glad for the happy ending cuz the kid and MC developed a damn cute relationship but I feel like he kindof gets played as if he should be ‘grateful’ for the chance to help Konatsu and put her life back together. Not discrediting her talent or anything, just her attitude.
Like you said tho, the show really got me to really think about how I feel about the characters from the start and the end.
Feb 19, 2022 9:54 PM
Oct 2021
Eps 2,4 ,7 ,10, and 11 carried this season so hard the others was mostly repetitive and dissapointing, overrated season imo,still good , i gave it 8/10 season 1 is 9/10. Both have different ending but with the same ass last episode and same ass reveal too. That reveal is nothing but crazy stupid.
Mar 23, 2022 5:58 PM
Dec 2021
great anime!!! Quantum field theory!
Jul 22, 2022 7:04 AM
Oct 2018
I think the "revelation" was just the author/konatsu messing with us and providing more unreliable narrator material, for example season 1's *double suicide* was clearly a changed version of the real events especially given it involves the slightly too inquisitive novelist guy who does all the research and speculation. All evidence so far that yakumo is the father in mal and reddit comments are based all on speculation and open ended parts. I'm like, can you really imagine old yakumo fu**ING a young konatsu, especially when later he treats her like a child, especially when he comes to comfort her while she sleeps, singinv a lullaby like she is her child and even remembering how he used to sing to her to calm her as a kid(at least the gangster boss was known to be more open minded to the mistress, but I can barely see yakumo doing it rarely with yurie given how strict he was as mentioned in s1 during the scene were yurie was shown to mention being pregnant while caressing konatsu's father, and even less with the daughter he raised). totally out of place if he orgasmed in her previously, even when he showed shin his actual grandfather and mentioned shukaku being the biological one, he didn't seem a hint of hesitation as his adoptive grandfather. While I believe yakumo is not the father, simply presenting it as even a "joke" kinda gave me a uncomfortable sensation(like something yacky in my guts) during the final episode, otherwise would have been a 10/10, but slightly ruining the last ep (up to ep 11 the show was perfect). I'll give it a 9.
Jul 27, 2022 7:58 PM

Dec 2015
musashi9087 said:
Reading through the comments in this discussion makes me really sad. Reminds me of how westerners apply their own judgement on other cultures like is the only way to go in the whole world... Also how much are they missing of the story and what the author wants to tell with it.

Not a Japanese thing at all. This happens all over the world, older men hooking up with younger women. And no one gives two fucks unless it happens in a show. It's just the good old hypocrisy that haunts every ounce of the internet, but I swear that MAL, just like Twitter, is a catalyst of the worst takes you ever lay eyes on.
Aug 26, 2022 11:56 PM

Nov 2021
First the studio deen has done excellent job in the adaptation, it really feels like a passion project. There are so many moments in the anime that made me say its a masterpiece but that father revel at the end was kind of mehh,I don't know what to say but it clearly doesn't feel right to me and I didn't like Konantsu's character at all..
I wonder why people like this kind of stuff in this anime and they hate it in usagi drop, to me these two have done the same thing no matter how someone interpreted it.
Sep 6, 2022 9:36 AM

Apr 2020
Yukie has to be one of the biggest b!tch of anime/manga.
8/10 to both seasons mainly because some of the rakugo parts were just boring to me.
Go watch Gintama boyo/grill
My discord server for gaming and anime/manga: https://discord.com/invite/4mqXfNEJ9A
Nov 24, 2022 7:14 AM

Oct 2021
Myokichi was a bitch and konatsu become slave to her blood huh, I've said it before and I'm going to say it again, everything about this anime was great until that pregnancy part. And now that it literally confirming that kikuhiko/yakumo is shinnosuke's father, all those character built up fell off for me but once again it just josei show with their daddy complex and fcked up relationships goals so.......

I enjoyed this season less than the previous one. IMO it didn't live up to my hype the way some people praise it, so 8/10 at its best (・_・)
Jul 27, 2023 10:04 PM

Feb 2019
This was a perfect episode, besides the theory about Yakumo being Shinnosuke's real father. Just no. I want the relationship between Yakumo and Konatsu to be a father-daughter one, not... this. I hope it's not true, but I guess we'll never know. But the way it was presented makes it really seem like that was the implied true theory here.

Shinnosuke really outgrew his cheerfulness, huh? He's like young Yakumo with how reserved and shy he is, but he doesn't have young Yakumo's sharp tongue lol and he's quite the doting older brother huh? Glad to see that even to the present day he believes Yotarou to be his dad. Because he really is.

Koyuki's really cute! She's very cheerful and straightforward, got that last bit from the Sukeroku blood in her definitely.

Really great to see that Konatsu became a rakugo storyteller after all. With Yotarou's mentioning that she was Yakumo's second best student, that got me real confused because Yakumo died before he could properly train her. Or maybe because she had been with him for so long that she was basically considered a student of his? I put my bet more on her actually learning the last bits she needed from Yotarou.

Yotarou hasn't really changed much even in his old age ^^ I went from not really caring for his character when we were first introduced to him to really loving him in this second season! Glad his tattoo has become a part of his identity, not something he has to be ashamed of. He has changed a bit I think. He's not as boisterous as he once was, but that's what you get as you get older!

So glad that Matsuda-san didn't pass away the same day Yakumo did! Glad to see that he was able to see the Ninth Generation Yakumo, Konatsu becoming a rakugo storyteller, the rebuilt theatre, Yotarou's and Konatsu's kids growing up. I was surprised that he was once an apprentice :o but it seems he found his calling in life. At an age of a whopping 95 too, he's seen everything he needs to see. I think he can rest in peace now.

Great show. Greater than I anticipated. I didn't get why S2 had a higher score than S1 on MAL, but now I do. 9/10. Easy. This won't leave me for a while.
Dec 5, 2023 9:48 PM

Sep 2013
Even puting aside the Shin's father subject (That is still F*ked up and unnecesary)

To me season 1 was a lot better. In this season there are a lot of time skips, they pushed to the side the matter of konatsu becoming a storyteller, and the new rakugo stories also.

These 2 subjects only come to a very rushed closure in the last episode, and even in that episode, where all the new masters and performers gathered, konatsu had 0 time on the scene and was totally skipped WTF.

The rakugo scenes are great for showing off the VA's voice range and interpretation and we could only hear her performance 1 time with the kids. Such a waste.
JulianRDec 5, 2023 9:54 PM
Pages (6) « First ... « 4 5 [6]

More topics from this board

» Who is the father of Konatsu's first child? *SPOIER?* ( 1 2 )

OGOTAKU - Mar 12, 2017

67 by Maahir97 »»
Apr 17, 12:04 PM

» Bit surprised to see s2 rated higher than s1

Korppi - Aug 9, 2017

11 by Pursueth »»
Feb 26, 1:41 PM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 17, 2017

103 by prozyne »»
Jan 2, 9:29 AM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 13, 2017

67 by silent_lurker »»
Dec 22, 2023 2:55 PM

Poll: » Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 6, 2017

118 by silent_lurker »»
Dec 17, 2023 9:04 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.