Forum Settings
Forums

A Mass of People Coming Together, or a Community Divided?

New
Mar 11, 2017 8:21 PM
Mar 2017
One thing I have noticed in the couple of attempts that I have made to delve into MAL is that the community seems to be communal, but divided as a whole, for a multitude of reasons. Sure, with any diverse fan-base, you will have dissent, derisiveness, and discontent, however, what I see a lack of -- actively, mind you -- is an attempt for people to come together more intimately. Forum replies and commenting on each others' profile page does little to unite smaller, diverse, yet independent and closely-knit, fan-driven communities. I know that a majority of the user-base has found their niche, but how does the average MAL recruit find a home, and people to connect with, in this community?
Mar 11, 2017 8:24 PM
Mar 2017
jdavidson759 said:
One thing I have noticed in the couple of attempts that I have made to delve into MAL is that the community seems to be communal, but divided as a whole, for a multitude of reasons. Sure, with any diverse fan-base, you will have dissent, derisiveness, and discontent, however, what I see a lack of -- actively, mind you -- is an attempt for people to come together more intimately. Forum replies and commenting on each others' profile page does little to unite smaller, diverse, yet independent and closely-knit, fan-driven communities. I know that a majority of the user-base has found their niche, but how does the average MAL recruit find a home, and people to connect with, in this community?
Also, I will add this: Longstanding members, feel free to give you mountain of wisdom to the new and neglected.
Mar 11, 2017 8:31 PM

Aug 2016
I namely just divide people on the level of shitposting they do - either way, it's the fact that people openly express political, social, and economic opinion and bark down others that don't share the opinion.

Plus that and people are naturally going to form smaller groups within the population. It's the norm to stick with people that share your interests and avoid those who dont.

Just dont be a dumbass low-quality shitposter in CD and mix it with some creativity and social actvitiy - you'll find some people to connect with soon enough.
Mar 11, 2017 10:06 PM
Mar 2017
VariFox said:
I namely just divide people on the level of shitposting they do - either way, it's the fact that people openly express political, social, and economic opinion and bark down others that don't share the opinion.

Plus that and people are naturally going to form smaller groups within the population. It's the norm to stick with people that share your interests and avoid those who dont.

Just dont be a dumbass low-quality shitposter in CD and mix it with some creativity and social actvitiy - you'll find some people to connect with soon enough.
Lol, thank Vari for your post. I understand what you mean, wholeheartedly.
Mar 12, 2017 1:48 AM

May 2015
It's hard to form a close community in the internet. The internet lets us to talk to more people but we're less involved in their lives. You'll need a serious issue to connect the people, like how suicide communities are fairly close. People here come to talk about anime, but it's not a too important part of their life.

We're really people coming together that may find friends here.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Mar 12, 2017 2:21 PM

Feb 2015
Ehhhh, I don't truly understand what you mean, I don't like googling vocabs like every words you use. However, I find MAL as a whole community normal like any other community out there.
Mar 12, 2017 8:46 PM

Sep 2007
There are two types of people on MAL: Trolls and...fuck it, I'm too lazy.

Mar 12, 2017 9:11 PM

Aug 2016
Don't look at me, I just shitpost here. I didn't ask for any community.
People who put MAL stats in their sigs are losers lol
Mar 13, 2017 7:42 PM
Mar 2017
TheBrainintheJar said:
It's hard to form a close community in the internet. The internet lets us to talk to more people but we're less involved in their lives. You'll need a serious issue to connect the people, like how suicide communities are fairly close. People here come to talk about anime, but it's not a too important part of their life.

It's funny that you said that! That was another thing that I noticed and started a forum topic about. Thanks for your honest opinion!
Mar 13, 2017 8:16 PM

May 2013
in many of MAL clubs you can do more chatting and getting to know people.
I CELEBRATE myself,
And what I assume you shall assume,
For every atom belonging to me as good belongs to you.
Mar 13, 2017 8:51 PM
Mar 2017
Oxalias said:
I personally hate the community and only come here for typing practice.
I hate anime fans, too. How paradoxical we humans are.
Mar 13, 2017 8:55 PM
Nov 2016
Yeah join clubs if you want a smaller community.

Mar 14, 2017 1:52 PM

Feb 2016
What? I always thought all the users on MAL were like a big family.

We are all deeply united, you just can't see it easily. You'd have to squint a little harder.
Mar 14, 2017 2:04 PM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
TheBrainintheJar said:
You'll need a serious issue to connect the people, like how suicide communities are fairly close.
Well we all have a serious issue here I guess.
TheBrainintheJar said:
People here come to talk about anime, but it's not a too important part of their life.
Well that is an important part of my life.
TheBrainintheJar said:

Well now I have that picture of every MAL member as fish and every niche becomes a specie.
Exhalant said:
That is really inspiring, can I be an himouto?

Mar 14, 2017 2:09 PM

Feb 2016
Lolsebca said:
Exhalant said:
You'd have to be a grill first.

Mar 14, 2017 2:11 PM
Émilia Hoarfrost

Dec 2015
Exhalant said:
Lolsebca said:

I'm a trap shota onii-chan, that counts as imouto.

Mar 15, 2017 8:19 AM

May 2015
Lolsebca said:
TheBrainintheJar said:
You'll need a serious issue to connect the people, like how suicide communities are fairly close.
Well we all have a serious issue here I guess.
TheBrainintheJar said:
People here come to talk about anime, but it's not a too important part of their life.
Well that is an important part of my life.
TheBrainintheJar said:

Well now I have that picture of every MAL member as fish and every niche becomes a specie.
Exhalant said:

I mean, for an online community to become an actual community, people need to invest time and a sense of commitment into it. Message boards, especially one dealing with a hobby don't inspire this. We're more of a network than a community.
Mar 15, 2017 8:28 AM

Apr 2012
If you hang out in the forum long enough you find some people who tend to agree with you and are friendly toward you in various topics.

Also, I recommend you to find some clubs here that you are interested in. The club comment chats can bring users together. Try to find clubs with more members as the ones with fewer users usually are zombie clubs.
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Mar 15, 2017 7:10 PM
Mar 2017
bunny1ov3r said:
If you hang out in the forum long enough you find some people who tend to agree with you and are friendly toward you in various topics.

Also, I recommend you to find some clubs here that you are interested in. The club comment chats can bring users together. Try to find clubs with more members as the ones with fewer users usually are zombie clubs.

For sure. Also, I love your display picture.
Mar 16, 2017 9:35 AM

May 2015
bunny1ov3r said:

I actually enjoyed more the people who disagree with me. They lead me to fruitful, challenging conversations.
Mar 17, 2017 7:37 AM

Aug 2014
So how is the Anime community any different than Movies, Gaming, Beauty/Fashion, Sports communities? Are they all united and we are divided? Can you explain your point more?
Mar 17, 2017 7:52 AM

Mar 2016
I just came to scoff at the ridiculous threads.

Never thought to join a club but I thought that's generally where people on MAL go to join a group of like minded people.
Mar 17, 2017 12:43 PM

May 2015
Rellexia said:
I just came to scoff at the ridiculous threads.

Never thought to join a club but I thought that's generally where people on MAL go to join a group of like minded people.

Sounds kind of boring. Wouldn't it be more fun to join the conversation?
Mar 18, 2017 2:36 PM

Feb 2016
Lolsebca said:
Exhalant said:

I'm a trap shota onii-chan, that counts as imouto.
Welcome to the family, fam.

More topics from this board

» Fav "D"?

GoatPieceLuffy - 31 minutes ago

3 by Loyal_Sheepling »»
7 minutes ago

» Do you ever wish the internet would go back 20 years?

ImNotAnOtaku1 - 7 hours ago

14 by DreamWindow »»
32 minutes ago

Poll: » Who else loves Alcohol?

GoatPieceLuffy - 3 hours ago

11 by Fancyjasper »»
1 hour ago

» Tokyo declares war on Racoon

tsukareru - Yesterday

17 by DreamWindow »»
1 hour ago

» Do you deem gratuitously killing insects immoral?

vasipi4946 - May 10

31 by CrazedRabbit »»
3 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.