Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 8, 2016 9:10 PM

Sep 2013
I think we are entering the golden age of anime films.
SAO and One Piece breaking records with their film screens and more and more works are being adapted and released in theaters first, including a ton of recaps.
Madhouse already has 3 films coming up, kyoani will have released 5 films in the past 2 years and that's only 2 studios.

Would you like more movie adaptations of manga/novels instead of TV series?
Aug 8, 2016 9:15 PM

Dec 2015
Absolutely not, in my opinion making a movie limits how long it can be, thus less time means rushed adaptations means ruined series.

Not all anime have happy endings, but you should always be left with something meaningful after you watch one...
Aug 8, 2016 9:17 PM

Apr 2014
ichii_1 said:

Heck no. Almost everyone has to wait an additional ~6 months to see a film online after it's released in theaters, and even then it's mostly anime studios cramming would could have been a decent 12-episode anime season into a meager 2 hour long film with slightly higher production values.
I mean, films are usually great values for an anime studio, but for fans I don't see a whole lot of benefits.
Aug 8, 2016 9:17 PM

Jan 2011
Golden age of films? uh...what? Just because we get some lazy half-assed "movie" that is just smashing the episodes of an anime together isn't exactly good. Anime movies haven't been as effected by the plaguing tropes of modern anime. You can always expect a t least a handful of good movies.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Aug 8, 2016 9:32 PM

Jul 2012
Depends on the series. Case in point for a lot of light novel adaptations it's not too uncommon to see an arc finished in ~4 episodes, or about 1 hour and 36 minutes with op/ed themes. So an arc can fit pretty neatly into a full length movie time slot in that scenario and it would have roughly the same pacing as a tv series counterpart.
But that being said if the arcs are longer or notably shorter than that it would just be better to have a series than an unsatisfying or rushed movie. That and as some people have said there's the issue with the 6 month wait, possibly poor fansubs, amongst a number of other potential factors that could be avoided through tv series.
Aug 8, 2016 9:58 PM

Sep 2013
Protaku said:
ichii_1 said:

Heck no. Almost everyone has to wait an additional ~6 months to see a film online after it's released in theaters, and even then it's mostly anime studios cramming would could have been a decent 12-episode anime season into a meager 2 hour long film with slightly higher production values.
I mean, films are usually great values for an anime studio, but for fans I don't see a whole lot of benefits.

They won't adapt so many vol into the film, and that 12 ep usually crams 4+ LN volumes and rushes the manga as well in the adaptation plus you usually don't get any sequels.
While the film will adapt 1 or 2 LN vol and for manga the beginning arc, if it's a success it can lead to a complete adaptation.
Waiting for the release is hard, but crunchy roll and other streaming sites can reach a deal or something.
Aug 8, 2016 10:14 PM

Apr 2014
ichii_1 said:
Protaku said:

They won't adapt so many vol into the film, and that 12 ep usually crams 4+ LN volumes and rushes the manga as well in the adaptation plus you usually don't get any sequels.
While the film will adapt 1 or 2 LN vol and for manga the beginning arc, if it's a success it can lead to a complete adaptation.
Waiting for the release is hard, but crunchy roll and other streaming sites can reach a deal or something.

Well I'd rather they cram 4+ LN volumes into 12 episodes rather than into one movie.
I like how movies can lead to another season though, but that rarely happens tbh.
I can't think of any anime movies at the top of my head that have ever reached such a deal with Crunchyroll or streaming sites. Something on Netflix maybe, or relating to Ghibli since Disney owns a chunk of it?
Even with all that though, it's still not really worth it for fans to have a film made instead of another season. Your last two points were basically just "maybe's" anyway lol.
Aug 8, 2016 10:33 PM
Jul 2013
Absolutely not. There's just not a lot you can development in a movie. For example it was announced that Koe no Katachi will get a movie adaption instead of a series. Of course it isn't out yet so I don't know how good it will be but it's a serious missed opportunity to not make it into a series. It's such a great manga and I can't imagine it will fit well into 2 or so hours.
Aug 8, 2016 10:41 PM
Apr 2016
^ Agreed about Koe no Katachi..how they will fit like 64 chapters into an at best 2 hr movie is beyond me. If the movie is only to get people interested to pave the way for a tv series of like 10 or 12 eps, I could understand that decision.
Aug 8, 2016 10:53 PM

Sep 2013
@Protaku this is a new venture, when ln/manga are constantly made into films then the steaming sites will adapt to it.
The chances a TV series gets a sequel is a way smaller than a film getting a sequel with the film format.
Aug 9, 2016 1:17 AM

Sep 2015
Ok first off, I don't think recap movies should count since those obviously only recap events that we've already seen. Should probably consider how many original movies are coming out right now, which I don't even think is that much considering the only two people who seem to push for that are Momura Hosada and Makoto Shinkai and the short films that come from stuff like Animator Expo. Oh yeah, there's also When Marnie Was There earning an Oscar nomination. Third, you forgot to mention the Girls und Panzer movie which earned 2.2 billion yen in box office alone. Fourth (sorry for criticising so much here) pretty sure the SAO movie isn't out yet. But is this a Golden Age? Not sure. Depends on what your criteria is for that. For me I would judge based on the quality of the movies so kinda. I haven't watched enough movies from one specific period so can't really say.

Margarinefly said:
Absolutely not. There's just not a lot you can development in a movie. For example it was announced that Koe no Katachi will get a movie adaption instead of a series. Of course it isn't out yet so I don't know how good it will be but it's a serious missed opportunity to not make it into a series. It's such a great manga and I can't imagine it will fit well into 2 or so hours.
I think I'd have to disagree with this notion. Sure a tv series does allow for more development due it being longer but that's not necessarily always the case and it depends on whose handling it. Take for example The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya, a movie whose runtime clocks in at 2 hrs and 42 min but manages to give an incredible amount of depth to its characters more than the previous two seasons combined. Now I've never read A Silent Voice but in general I think a 2 hour movie is a good enough length for 64 chapter manga. And I wouldn't be too worried if I were you. I mean Kyoto Animation is doing it so you already have a guarantee of it looking beautiful as fuck and sounding really good. And Naoko Yamada (the director) has previously done some direction work for Disappearance and was the director for the K-On movie which I have heard is really good.
Aug 9, 2016 1:36 AM

Sep 2015
Protaku said:
ichii_1 said:

Well I'd rather they cram 4+ LN volumes into 12 episodes rather than into one movie.
I like how movies can lead to another season though, but that rarely happens tbh.
I can't think of any anime movies at the top of my head that have ever reached such a deal with Crunchyroll or streaming sites. Something on Netflix maybe, or relating to Ghibli since Disney owns a chunk of it?
Even with all that though, it's still not really worth it for fans to have a film made instead of another season. Your last two points were basically just "maybe's" anyway lol.
I think having a film made instead of a season can be beneficial depending the series. Like Black Lagoon could easily have another movie instead of a season and I'd be fine with that. I do see your point though cause there are those cases that in the grand scheme of things the movie is made simply for money, like Shaft and Madoka Magica Rebellion. "Madoka Magica made us a boat load of money so let's make a sequel!" "But the story already ended." "Yeah but think about all the money." "The movie could end up shitting on things established in the original series, which would just lead to pissed off fans." "Yeah... but money."
Aug 9, 2016 2:05 AM

Apr 2014
amk_2397 said:
Protaku said:

I think having a film made instead of a season can be beneficial depending the series. Like Black Lagoon could easily have another movie instead of a season and I'd be fine with that. I do see your point though cause there are those cases that in the grand scheme of things the movie is made simply for money, like Shaft and Madoka Magica Rebellion. "Madoka Magica made us a boat load of money so let's make a sequel!" "But the story already ended." "Yeah but think about all the money." "The movie could end up shitting on things established in the original series, which would just lead to pissed off fans." "Yeah... but money."

As much as a cash grab Rebellion was, I think I'm more offended at the fact Shaft left the movie with such a open ending and with no news of a possible sequel. Like, if you're going to milk a franchise, at least milk it all the way until that nipple is dry. But yeah, I'd love a Black Lagoon anything at this point, even just a movie, but a third season would be much more welcome.
Aug 9, 2016 2:10 AM

Apr 2013
like one movie for one novel? It worked fairly well for kara no kyoukai, and it should work well for NGNL volume 6 (which is perfect for that as well); so seeing more of this wouldn't be bad.
Some novels volume have far too much content for a single movie (RnY, Kyouhora, and so on), tho, so it's not like it would work for everything. But when it works, seeing that would be nice.
Not that convinced about manga.
Aug 9, 2016 1:54 PM

Jun 2009
It depends. I'm still waiting for Mad House's sequel to Ninja Scroll that they announce a while back

More topics from this board

» day 100 of watching shonen anime

GDjkhp - 54 seconds ago

0 by GDjkhp »»
54 seconds ago

» what is your "guilty pleasure" anime ?

ame - 10 hours ago

21 by oappo »»
9 minutes ago

» Any good anime that are like Grimgar ?

Ventus_S - 6 hours ago

6 by Archean-Return »»
9 minutes ago

» Do you look down on people who watch dubbed anime? ( 1 2 3 )

Iron_Leopard - Jun 7

117 by Mucharetsu »»
18 minutes ago

» Is it still cool to hate moe? ( 1 2 )

Ahegyao - Mar 25, 2021

81 by Ahegyao »»
23 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.