Forum Settings
Forums

What does school in anime say about real life schools in Japan?

New
Dec 7, 2015 1:16 AM
Oct 2015
It's not uncommon for me to try to analyze an entire culture and judge it by it's anime. But there are certain things I'm aware of.
School in Japan sucks ass... Why? Cause it's school. It sucks no matter where you are. But from what I hear, Japanese schooling is utter hell. It's taken extremely seriously, and is the cause of Japans massive suicide rate. Some students end up spending whole days at a time focused on school and other activities.

However, anime makes school out to be fun. Of course I'm not asking for anime to reflect reality. But shit... I wish I went to anime school. Anime school is the best school ever. If it existed it'd be awesome. Everyone loves anime school. The best memories of anyones life are all made in anime school. Every girl is cute in anime school, and the teachers are all goofballs. It's just a gay ol' time for everyone. The only people who don't like it are all those douchebag delinquents. Yea, those damn kids with their cigarettes and pompadours, going around getting in trouble.

Could the presense of all these unrealistic, school SOL anime, in fact, scratch SOL. NGE stared high school characters. Kill La Kill isn't slice of life and it's about high school. Everyone is in high school. No matter the tone, the genre, or whatever, everything goes back to high school. Even if it's not centered around high school, it's likely to be set in high school or have characters in high school.

Has years of strict schooling brainwashed the Japanese, and now school is all they can think about?
Or is it simply another form of wish fulfillment. In the bleak, authoritarian school system, we paint an image of a fun, lively, beautiful high school experiance.
Or is it a plot to brainwash kids and decieve them into trying to actually enjoy school?
You know? Lie to the middle school kids so when they get to high school they'll see how much it sucks and be disapointed? Just like High School Musical or Hanna Montana... nothing but lies directed at hyping kids for a false lie.

(BTW, I actually enjoyed my high school experiance)
Dec 7, 2015 1:18 AM

Feb 2015
Anime can make everything pretty not only school. Reason is 99% that if they wanted to see actual portrayal of school they would still be in school .

Most school only sol anime are so boring as it is, imagine if they went full on reality scenarios.

Hell i dont want to watch bunch of akne filled book worms sitting in chair for 12 episodes doing nothing in an anime.

ExowaveDec 7, 2015 1:21 AM
Dec 7, 2015 1:20 AM

Sep 2009
... At least they get nice uniforms?
Be thankful for the wisdom granted to you.
Dec 7, 2015 1:21 AM

Jun 2015
Remember that majority of people who watch animu are still in highschool.

Basically, that's the target age demographic, hence the setting.

..and yes, it can also be a form of wish fulfillment.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 7, 2015 1:23 AM
Oct 2015
MortalMelancholy said:
'

Okay, good point. Japanese schools have better uniforms. America needs to adopt the buruma.
Dec 7, 2015 1:25 AM

Feb 2015
Everyone goes to school. School is the default setting. With school comes festivals, clubs, and all those other uninspired pushers for drama. Most of all, it's for the demographic.
Dec 7, 2015 1:26 AM

Feb 2015
devinder said:
Everyone goes to school. School is the default setting. With school comes festivals, clubs, and all those other uninspired pushers for drama. Most of all, it's for the demographic.

Dont forget beach episodes cant go without them.
Dec 7, 2015 1:27 AM

Sep 2015
Exowave said:
devinder said:

Dont forget beach episodes cant go without them.

Or the school trip to the onsen, don't forget those.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Dec 7, 2015 1:27 AM

Sep 2009
obscureanimefan said:
MortalMelancholy said:
'

Okay, good point. Japanese schools have better uniforms. America needs to adopt the buruma.

Buruma was like 15 (i think) years ago lol...

And for some reason, the Japanese just love high school. I'm guessing the otaku peoples who watch it like to reminisce?
Dec 7, 2015 1:32 AM
Oct 2015
MortalMelancholy said:
obscureanimefan said:
'

And for some reason, the Japanese just love high school. I'm guessing the otaku peoples who watch it like to reminisce?

I thought school was pretty terrible over there? Lots of pressure, lots of expectations. From what I hear, the majority of teen suicide in Japan stems from school life.

But hold on a fucking second? Are you saying Japanese high school girls don't wear buruma anymore? What kind of sick world is this?
Dec 7, 2015 1:40 AM

Jan 2015
Don't forget the fact whoever you fall in love with in high school is who you will marry.
Big Order (TV):great anime or greatest anime?
Dec 7, 2015 1:48 AM

Sep 2009
obscureanimefan said:
MortalMelancholy said:

I thought school was pretty terrible over there? Lots of pressure, lots of expectations. From what I hear, the majority of teen suicide in Japan stems from school life.

But hold on a fucking second? Are you saying Japanese high school girls don't wear buruma anymore? What kind of sick world is this?

Well, unlike America and a lot of other countries, most Japanese high schools require tuition and can be quite competitive (think of it like college before college). I wouldn't think all students and all high schools are super competitive, but both them and NEETs probably exist (NEETs live off of their parents). A lot of less competitive students are likely able to attend some sort of high school, just because their parents want them to (and are willing to pay for it)? I'm not sure how their school admission systems work, but their high schools will even have entry examinations.
Dec 7, 2015 1:55 AM

Apr 2015
It's pretty much for their target audience to make school so fun and heart-warming since most shounen always uses school setting and shounen is targeted towards teenager and young adolescent.
Dec 7, 2015 2:00 AM

Feb 2011
they clean their own classes and janitors are supposedly a rare specie

Fixes to make the Profile more bearable after "the Modern★Profile★Update★★Rip★Profile★"
Dec 7, 2015 2:04 AM

Jun 2008
oreology said:
Remember that majority of people who watch animu are still in highschool.

Basically, that's the target age demographic, hence the setting.

..and yes, it can also be a form of wish fulfillment.

But why do they think that young people can't relate to grown characters?
Western kids grew watching super heroes that were adults and had no relation with school.
It seems to me more like is an adoration from this writers of early youth and avoidance of having to portray more complicated mature characters and relationships by throwing high school kids more than anything.

devinder said:

Also is easier to put characters around someone that is in school. Since in school you meet lot's of people and of opposite sex. Maybe anime and manga writers are relatively lonely people that really only had a social life when they were in school and had classmates etc and so when they try to create a story with different characters they always end up thinking of school settings.
MonadDec 7, 2015 2:09 AM
Dec 7, 2015 2:14 AM
Oct 2015
Zeando said:
they clean their own classes and janitors are supposedly a rare specie

That's because they took their jobs
Dec 7, 2015 3:42 AM
May 2009
Really depends on the anime. Some are for the targetted age group of kids in school.
Others are more nostalgia shows for grown ups who want to experience school life again in a readable medium.
Dec 7, 2015 1:33 PM
May 2015
shintai88 said:
Really depends on the anime. Some are for the targetted age group of kids in school.
Others are more nostalgia shows for grown ups who want to experience school life again in a readable medium.

This. Some anime shows are adventure and epic fights, while some other animes take the life/drama seriously.

More topics from this board

» Does complexity made an anime better? And what is your favourite complex anime

niknasr - May 30

24 by Kruszer »»
18 minutes ago

» What is an "ironic weeaboo"?

IdeDial - Yesterday

33 by DX_impulse »»
20 minutes ago

» Anime songs that give you goosebumps.

TsutanaiFuun - May 23

48 by ToG25thBaam »»
21 minutes ago

» Did you "really" watch a show if you didn't see it in Blu-Ray?

Dragevard - 2 hours ago

9 by traed »»
29 minutes ago

» Why is fairytail the only Shonen anime that people complain for the power of Friendship when evrey other Shonen anime does.

Lol1268 - 3 hours ago

15 by LuniMi »»
30 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.