Forum Settings
Forums

Stepping out from comfort zone VS guilty pleasure

New
Aug 3, 2015 11:10 PM

Nov 2010
I don't know how you distinguish between of those two but for me "stepping out from comfort zone" means you watch or read something usually outside the ranges of your favorite genre for good reasons. For example there are tons of men loves Ouran High School Host Club because they love the characters, plot, humor, etc despite not aimed toawrds them. My own experience is with Yosuga no Sora because I never expect it to be good at first but it later turned out to be one of the best anime I ever watch. Yes you can laugh at me for labelling YnS as "best anime I ever watch" but I do liked it for good reasons. To this day no other anime, especially romance ones com close to it for me despite already 5 years old. Yeah I know the show and its VN are marketed exclusively for male consumption and I also believe I never meet a fellow female YnS fan in internet and real life. Reality is indeed cruel for me.

"Guilty pleasure" for is you read and watch for something for bad reasons like enjoying the flaws. For example there are countless of us love School Days just because you love to see how its ends, especially the last 10 minutes of its last episode. You somehow watch or rewatch entire 12 episodes of the show from beginning just to enjoy its ending better. I also saw tons of fujoshis watched something like Queen's Blade and High School DXD just to see how bad those show try to arouse (sexual) attention of (male) viewers despite never being target audiences of the aforementioned shows. I also would love to see if those fujoshis can watch something like Teekyuu for the same reason.
Aug 3, 2015 11:44 PM

Nov 2011
A guilty pleasure is something you like despite thinking you shouldn't. Stepping out from your comfort zone just means you're expanding your horizons.

To illustrate the difference, say (hypothetically) that I don't think I like mystery stories despite never having tried one. Trying a few mystery stories that have a good reputation would be "stepping out of my comfort zone" just in case my presupposition that I won't like mysteries is wrong.

On the other hand, (again, hypothetically), say I like watching melodrama whilst simultaneously believing that said melodrama is terrible. That would be a "guilty pleasure".

The difference is, in the first case, you don't know whether you'll like something or not and are going against your "instinct". In the latter case, it's not just an instinct; you genuinely believe that what you're watching is bad for whatever reason, and you enjoy it anyway.
Aug 4, 2015 12:07 AM
Jul 2018
Here is something that can push most out of their comfort zone and if this is a guilty pleasure well re analyze your life and find out what went wrong.
http://myanimelist.net/anime/746/Papa_to_Kiss_in_the_Dark
Aug 4, 2015 3:01 AM

Jan 2009
Stepping out from comfort zone
Basically it means watching something that you don't usually watch. For example trying a new genre that you have avoided before.

Guilty pleasure means a series that you like, even though you know that you shouldn't like it.
So yea it basically means liking a series that you know is bad, but still enjoy for some reason.

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
Aug 4, 2015 3:14 AM
Feb 2014
TripleSRank said:
A guilty pleasure is something you like despite thinking you shouldn't. Stepping out from your comfort zone just means you're expanding your horizons.

To illustrate the difference, say (hypothetically) that I don't think I like mystery stories despite never having tried one. Trying a few mystery stories that have a good reputation would be "stepping out of my comfort zone" just in case my presupposition that I won't like mysteries is wrong.

On the other hand, (again, hypothetically), say I like watching melodrama whilst simultaneously believing that said melodrama is terrible. That would be a "guilty pleasure".

The difference is, in the first case, you don't know whether you'll like something or not and are going against your "instinct". In the latter case, it's not just an instinct; you genuinely believe that what you're watching is bad for whatever reason, and you enjoy it anyway.

I agree with all of this except guilty pleasures are only what a coward would say.

No one forces you to like or dislike certain genres or tropes but your own free will. If you happen to like just one of those, that doesn't necessarily make it a guilty pleasure, it's rather just an outlier.

I don't step out of my comfort zone because I like making watching anime perfectly enjoyable to myself and only myself. Why I won't watch any series before 1995 is simply because I'm picky with art. I've no need to compel myself to do something that I know I'll be grinded by.
Aug 4, 2015 4:35 AM

Nov 2009
TheBasedNico said:
I agree with all of this except guilty pleasures are only what a coward would say.

No one forces you to like or dislike certain genres or tropes but your own free will. If you happen to like just one of those, that doesn't necessarily make it a guilty pleasure, it's rather just an outlier.

Guilty pleasures is not about cowardice. It's about living with an unreasonable values system, probably forced upon you when you were but a child.
For example, quite a number of people like rape hentai, yet most of them are sure that IRL rape is a bad thing. Is rape hentai and watching rape hentai a bad thing? There are different answers to that. But even when one's value system says watching rape hentai is a bad thing, can one just stop watching it? No. One still likes watching rape hentai, and says it's a guilty pleasure, and feels bad because one can't live up to own moral code.
Aug 4, 2015 4:43 AM

May 2015
I don't see a dichotomy between comfort zone and guilty pleasures. There are things I love that are very in my comfort zone, but my reasons are more than just that it caters to me.

I also don't believe in 'guilty pleasure'. There is no moral obligation not to enjoy an anime. For someone to feel guilty about something, it will have to be an immoral thing.
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Aug 8, 2015 4:14 PM

Jan 2012
The only show which I think I stepped outside comfort zone for me is Maria-sama ga Miteru series. It's shoujo but it was so good and I don't think there are similar shoujo shows out there.
---
Aug 8, 2015 4:19 PM

Feb 2013
NK_500 said:
The only show which I think I stepped outside comfort zone for me is Maria-sama ga Miteru series. It's shoujo but it was so good and I don't think there are similar shoujo shows out there.
well, there is its main inspiration, Onii Sama e

More topics from this board

» Anime characters you like ONLY for their fanservice? (be honest)

asureiwong - 8 minutes ago

0 by asureiwong »»
8 minutes ago

» Was there a recent recounting of character favorites?

asureiwong - 38 minutes ago

2 by asureiwong »»
26 minutes ago

Poll: » r/Anime vs MyAnimelist. ( 1 2 )

Makoto_Yuri - Apr 21, 2022

94 by SpiderMiles3523 »»
28 minutes ago

» Nominate 1 character from your Favorites that would be the best at Butt Sumo, and nominate 1 that would be the worst

IpreferEcchi - 11 hours ago

8 by Jackson1333 »»
35 minutes ago

» Do y'all fw Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

IssyBoy - Today

53 by Gsarthotegga »»
55 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.