Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jan 18, 2015 10:39 AM

Jun 2014
Its definitely been over for almost 30 years, it bugs me that this hasn't been changed. I've edited the information with chapter and volume info, as well as the years it ran from. But for whatever reason its never been changed. Do I need to contact a manga mod directly to get this fixed or what?
Jan 20, 2015 1:56 AM

Jul 2014
It looks like A LOT of manga are listed as publishing when they are in fact finished. This is really annoying because I'm a bit OCD and don't like having manga on my reading list that I've finished (can't move it to completed).
Mar 7, 2015 8:57 PM

Jan 2013
Ana- said:
Jerkhov said:
Its definitely been over for almost 30 years, it bugs me that this hasn't been changed. I've edited the information with chapter and volume info, as well as the years it ran from. But for whatever reason its never been changed. Do I need to contact a manga mod directly to get this fixed or what?
Kinnikuman was restarted in 2011 and the chapters released were still bundled under the title Kinnikuman (vol.38 onwards).

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is treated as 5 different series on here when the first 5 parts were bundled together as volumes 1-63 and chapters 1-594.

In Kinnikuman's case, the sequel that started in 2011 didn't start with chapter 388, they started with chapter 1. Yeah they continued the numbering of the volumes with 38, but the chapter numbering was reset.
May 16, 2015 8:37 PM

Jun 2014
viva_cmpunker said:
Ana- said:
Kinnikuman was restarted in 2011 and the chapters released were still bundled under the title Kinnikuman (vol.38 onwards).

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure is treated as 5 different series on here when the first 5 parts were bundled together as volumes 1-63 and chapters 1-594.

In Kinnikuman's case, the sequel that started in 2011 didn't start with chapter 388, they started with chapter 1. Yeah they continued the numbering of the volumes with 38, but the chapter numbering was reset.

JJBA is a perfect example, following mod logic then only Steel Ball Run and JoJolion should be their own series.

Can't they just list the new one as Kinnikuman (2011)? Just because it was never given a unique title doesn't make it part of the same publication run.

From what I've read of the recent chapters there's no way this can be considered a direct continuation. Characters from Nisei appear in it, making the reader need to have prior knowledge from that series. If you're reading these solely from Kinnikuman's chapters you would definitely be confused.

If it's the relations with the manga you're having trouble with then just count both Nisei and 2011 as the sequels.
Oct 1, 2015 3:23 AM

Mar 2013
Still not fixed.
added the fourth most popular anime onto this site
Feb 26, 2016 12:02 AM

Jan 2011
Yeah, they should be separate entries.
Apr 15, 2016 1:24 AM

May 2014
ReaperCreeper said:
Yeah, they should be separate entries.

I'm totally agree with you
Jun 4, 2017 10:05 PM

Apr 2014
Still not fixed two years later
Aug 2, 2019 11:06 AM

Jun 2012
NearSky said:

Still not fixed two years later the two years complaint.
Jun 24, 2020 7:49 AM

Feb 2015
Still not fixed in the year of the Lord 2020
Jul 14, 2020 10:38 PM

Apr 2016
I haven't read Nisei or the other entries in the series but I haven't been confused by it. It continues directly under the same name so I don't see the issue with it being bundled under one entry. Seems like the author probably didn't have a hit with the spinoffs so he went back to continuing the original where it left off lol.
As far as the Jojos comparison, aren't those all given different subtitles (Part 1, Part 2, etc;), leading to them being given separate entries?
Oct 13, 2020 1:11 AM

Oct 2020
series was brought back around 2012, it's publishing again in a different magazine weekly now
You flush it out, You flush it out
Saint Anger 'round my neck
You flush it out, You flush it out
He never gets respect
Nov 29, 2020 7:30 AM

Feb 2015
At least on the Kinnikuman wiki, the 2011 series is treated as it's own series.
Jul 25, 2021 5:05 PM
Sep 2020
still nothing in the year 2021
Sep 17, 2021 7:54 AM
Jul 2018
It seems like a mistake from the database, the Kinnikuman manga storyline has finished decades ago, the Kinnikuman (2011) is a seperate manga with a different storyline, the original manga should have been listed as completed and a seperate entry for the other one.
Mar 12, 2023 6:07 AM
Jan 2021
Amuro_Char said:
NearSky said:

Still not fixed two years later the two years complaint.

It isstill Not fixed in 2023
Mar 13, 2023 9:00 PM
Jun 2013
I don't know if people are playing dumb but it's already answered, Kinnikuman the original manga series returned 10 years ago, it's not a manga sequel, it's the same manga series and the new volume was numbered right after the last one when it originally "ended", it currently has 81 volumes released, so it's not like Jojo's Bizarre Adventure at all, what a dumb comparison.
Nov 14, 2023 5:08 AM
Jul 2021
This is nonsense, a similar situation with the chainsaw man because of some rules they cannot separate different works
Nov 14, 2023 6:01 AM

Jan 2017
frild said:
This is nonsense, a similar situation with the chainsaw man because of some rules they cannot separate different works

The case of Chainsaw Man is completely logical tho.

While it was marketed as the end , the Manga only concluded its "Part 1" , which is only an Arc in the story.
"Part 1" or "Part 2" are both the very same Manga (as pointed out at the end of Chapter 97) , and there is no reason no separate them.

Here , it's more problematic. The Manga did officially ended in 1988 , before getting resurrected out of nowhere in 2011...
The situation is extremely annoying for the fans , but i don't get why everyone complain about MAL ?
It's literally Shueisha the problem , MAL only follow what they officially do...
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Nov 14, 2023 6:19 AM
Jul 2021
Reply to Alexioos95
frild said:

The case of Chainsaw Man is completely logical tho.

While it was marketed as the end , the Manga only concluded its "Part 1" , which is only an Arc in the story.
"Part 1" or "Part 2" are both the very same Manga (as pointed out at the end of Chapter 97) , and there is no reason no separate them.

Here , it's more problematic. The Manga did officially ended in 1988 , before getting resurrected out of nowhere in 2011...
The situation is extremely annoying for the fans , but i don't get why everyone complain about MAL ?
It's literally Shueisha the problem , MAL only follow what they officially do...
@Alexioos95 Why should Shueisha worry? The MAL database itself should separate such things for the convenience of users.
Nov 14, 2023 6:29 AM

Jan 2017
frild said:
The MAL database itself should separate such things for the convenience of users.

The goal of MAL is not to be more convenient for the users , but list right and official infos (especially since MAL is owned by professional Japanese companies). Some compromises were made tho. (For example not splitting entries created when the site was still not very well known , or now accepting the addition of digital Manhwas.)
"Genius lives only one storey above madness."
– Arthur Schopenhauer.

"Stupidity is a talent for misconception."
– Edgar Allan Poe.

"I'm tired... and hungry."
– Alexioos95.
Dec 13, 2023 1:27 PM

Oct 2023
It's the same series.

There's an actual sequel series to the original called Kinnikuman Nisei, aka Ultimate Muscle. It's not necessarily non-cannon to the current stuff (I don't think Yudetamago have made that explicitly clear), but it's read as a standalone after the original run concludes.

The 2011 revival of the original Kinnikuman manga should definitely be considered the same thing. Not only did it retain the numeration in paperback volumes, but they also decided to not alter the name of the series at all. It's just called Kinnikuman. No subtitle or indication it's separate from the original. That alone tells me it's the same thing.

If it were an American comic, you'd subscribe to the title known as "Kinnikuman" or "M.U.S.C.L.E.", and again, not only would the numeration remain intact, but the title is the exact same when you go to renew that subscription years later. That's done with the express purpose of letting people know it's the same thing. Continuity and cannon be damned.
Jan 21, 9:41 AM
Oct 2011
Reply to PlasticRobot
It's the same series.

There's an actual sequel series to the original called Kinnikuman Nisei, aka Ultimate Muscle. It's not necessarily non-cannon to the current stuff (I don't think Yudetamago have made that explicitly clear), but it's read as a standalone after the original run concludes.

The 2011 revival of the original Kinnikuman manga should definitely be considered the same thing. Not only did it retain the numeration in paperback volumes, but they also decided to not alter the name of the series at all. It's just called Kinnikuman. No subtitle or indication it's separate from the original. That alone tells me it's the same thing.

If it were an American comic, you'd subscribe to the title known as "Kinnikuman" or "M.U.S.C.L.E.", and again, not only would the numeration remain intact, but the title is the exact same when you go to renew that subscription years later. That's done with the express purpose of letting people know it's the same thing. Continuity and cannon be damned.
@PlasticRobot Do you know where I can read the 2011 revival? English subbed

Jul 3, 1:34 PM

Nov 2012
But the publication run info is now incorrect.
You click WSJ and Kinnikkuman doesn't show up as a series that published there, despite being a highly influential title for the magazine. It creates a historical inaccuracy in the database.

I think they should be separated due to the two separate publications, despite being "the same series", it would be like if Dragon Ball Super just made Dragon Ball revert to "publishing" now in V JUMP and no longer recorded as a WSJ title. It's the same ongoing story and still "dragon ball", I hope that illustrates a lil of why this would be thought of as a weird decision. People even say "Kinnikkuman (2011)" resets the chapter count too. Seems a no brainer it should be a separate entry with the current publication info and fix this entries info to the WSJ run information.
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
Jul 18, 8:43 AM
plɹoM pǝʇɹǝʌuI

Sep 2020
Still not fixed in 2024.
Jul 18, 11:09 AM

Oct 2023
JVskunkape said:
You click WSJ and Kinnikkuman doesn't show up as a series that published there, despite being a highly influential title for the magazine. It creates a historical inaccuracy in the database.

This is actually a really good point that I didn't realize was a problem until right now. I suppose if the chapter count also restarts, that lends quite a bit of credence to the database change. For me, the volume count and canon being retained always made the two being one make sense, but they should at least fix the lack of Jump's direct link to the title.

I think this sort of thing can be majorly chalked up to the lack of real English documentation for anything Kinnikuman related. This feels like something that could have a definitive answer if the manga had a few more sets of eyes on it.
Aug 3, 6:22 PM

Nov 2012
I tried to reply to this a while ago, but I think my browser crashed after I typed a bunch, then I forgot about it and never retyped it.

I actually took a screenshot from the authors twitter, something he put out himself which seems to acknowledge the separate distinction of the two series despite them being the same ongoing story and canon. I'll upload it here in this thread when I get a chance.
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers

More topics from this board

» Chapters

Shubhamb1996 - Jan 26

3 by Sondo »»
Mar 5, 2:29 PM

Poll: » Kinnikuman Chapter 186 Discussion

PlasticRobot - Dec 20, 2023

0 by PlasticRobot »»
Dec 20, 2023 3:28 PM

Poll: » Kinnikuman Chapter 137 Discussion

FMmatron - Aug 28, 2021

1 by PlasticRobot »»
Oct 29, 2023 3:45 PM

Poll: » Kinnikuman Chapter 135 Discussion

PlasticRobot - Oct 29, 2023

0 by PlasticRobot »»
Oct 29, 2023 2:52 PM

Poll: » Kinnikuman Chapter 97 Discussion

PlasticRobot - Oct 25, 2023

1 by Bulljuice »»
Oct 25, 2023 3:10 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.