Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 16, 2009 7:24 AM
Oct 2008
Hi everyone, I try to download mkv files sized arond 200-250mb most generally but they are quite hard to find. How much difference is there b/w a 60 mb and a 200 mb file?
I watch english subbed so I don't need dual dub.. Thanks in advance
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Nov 16, 2009 7:27 AM

May 2008
60MB episodes? Must be for a cellphone or sth.

Nov 16, 2009 7:32 AM

Nov 2007
"SD" episodes will typically be 150-250Mb in MKV or AVI alike. Going lower than 150 is possible with 264, softsubs and ordered chapters, though most encoders prefer giving more juice to the video. Why is it hard to find? Pretty much all groups release MKV these days, and many do SD as well as HD releases.

60Mb is going to be terribly low bitrate and no self respecting encoder would ever go that low, only RMVB idiotic reencoders, typically. If you want guaranteed ~200Mb files, I'd suggest sticking with SD releases, even if they're AVI reencodes from groups that don't do SD anymore. As undesirable as SD is, if you want to save bandwidth/space, it's your only real option.
Nov 16, 2009 8:57 AM

May 2008
They're not idiotic... rmvb has its niche, it's useful for some people.

Nov 16, 2009 9:01 AM

Aug 2009
I'd agree... RMVB lets me download anime series in hours instead of days... especially if they're 100+ episodes like yuyu hakusho... If I downloaded that in MKV format I'd still be downloading that today instead of having finished it a month ago...
Nov 16, 2009 9:10 AM

Jun 2008
rmvb

What is this shit you're watching?
Nov 16, 2009 10:15 AM

Aug 2007
I guess people who like RMVB love their anime in really shitty quality.
Nov 16, 2009 10:25 AM

Aug 2009
Drunk_Samurai said:

the quality is not bad.. when you download an video with realplayer it will be in the same quality as the video itself

but because its pretty new you cant watch it on tv, mobile or any player I think? I tryed to but it didnt work ;_;

when you have the veoh web downloader you can download it in AVI instead using realplayer and downloading it in RMVB
http://www.veoh.com/download
havent tryed this yet, dunno if it downloads fast
DymoniaNov 16, 2009 10:31 AM
Nov 16, 2009 10:41 AM

May 2008
Uhm, I'll stick with 720p and 1080p, kthnx.
But seriously, if space is really that much of an issue, going less than 170 MB is pretty much a no-no, and that's if it's Xvid.

the other alternative already mentioned is ordered chapters; it's actually pretty good, as you don't download the opening and ending every time, but it hasn't been really popular for some reason.
A past can last a lifetime.
How to Read Manga! | AnimeBytes | iMangaScans
Nov 16, 2009 11:18 AM
Oct 2008
well I guess I couldn't search good enough to find quality mkv releases..
but thank god I have a 1TB and 8Mbit connection at last...
so now space isn't that much of a problem but before these upgrades I just could watch rather than downloading...
thanks for the info btw!!
Nov 16, 2009 11:27 AM

Feb 2009
Can't find mkv? where the hell are you looking? Mkv is all but unavoidable. If you are looking for anime I advise you start with animesuki and go from there.

60 megs? I wouldn't waste my time with anything that lousy. New mkv Kampfer files for instance are in the 200 meg range.

And I wouldn't watch it on anything that needed the files that small.
While not technically anime, currently I am a big fan of Hatsune Miku.
At least I can go see her in concert.
Nov 16, 2009 11:29 AM
Oct 2008
Sukunai said:
Can't find mkv? where the hell are you looking? Mkv is all but unavoidable.

I prefer rapidshare, many of the sites are for torrent but there are some occasional ones that upload the bigger files...
Nov 16, 2009 3:11 PM

May 2008
yungusemre said:
so now space isn't that much of a problem

That's just the beginning... unless you're deleting it.

Nov 16, 2009 7:58 PM

Aug 2007
Leanne-Chan said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

the quality is not bad.. when you download an video with realplayer it will be in the same quality as the video itself

but because its pretty new you cant watch it on tv, mobile or any player I think? I tryed to but it didnt work ;_;

when you have the veoh web downloader you can download it in AVI instead using realplayer and downloading it in RMVB
http://www.veoh.com/download
havent tryed this yet, dunno if it downloads fast

RMVB will always be shit. It's even worst than AVI.
Nov 17, 2009 2:24 AM

Jan 2009
Stop dissing RMVB i watched gurren lagaan in that file format and i dont care!
Needs more Drill Hair.
Nov 17, 2009 2:59 AM

Apr 2009
Lailide said:
Stop dissing RMVB i watched gurren lagaan in that file format and i dont care!

I dropped lagan cause it was in rmvb, later I rewatched in mkv. rmvb is shit.
Nov 18, 2009 9:36 PM

Jan 2009
I use to watch RMVB because I can find them if I'm looking for old anime shows that has finished airing (through a site that hosts anime episodes in RMVB). RMVB is good if you want to download anime from direct-download sites like MegaUpload or stupid RapidShare because of the small filesizes. I used to do that, but it's a real pain in the ass because if you're downloading a whole show, you're constantly opening up a lot of tabs for each episode on MegaUpload and you're downloading one episode after another.

MKV on the other hand is high quality and you can disable subtitles when you want to take a screenshot. I take a lot of screenshots when I'm watching anime to post them on my blog. MKV is the most used format for anime episodes and you can find most of them through anime torrent sites.
Nov 18, 2009 10:58 PM

Nov 2008
70MB rmvb has a watchable quality unless there are lot of action scenes and/or smoke and dust. I've seen dozens of series in rmvb and in most cases it was enough.
Nov 19, 2009 12:35 AM
Jun 2009
Vinhthehero said:
I use to watch RMVB because I can find them if I'm looking for old anime shows that has finished airing (through a site that hosts anime episodes in RMVB). RMVB is good if you want to download anime from direct-download sites like MegaUpload or stupid RapidShare because of the small filesizes. I used to do that, but it's a real pain in the ass because if you're downloading a whole show, you're constantly opening up a lot of tabs for each episode on MegaUpload and you're downloading one episode after another.

There's a program called Jdownloader, and you just have to copy the links and it queues up the files for download. It's extremely useful for Direct Download and you can put a few series up go to sleep and they'll be done by the time you get up.
It's also useful when downloading Xbox 360 games, I really can't be bothered opening up 70 tabs and waiting for each file to finish.
Nov 19, 2009 3:14 AM

May 2008
rmvb? wha?
Nov 19, 2009 4:59 AM

Nov 2008
vytah said:
70MB rmvb has a watchable quality unless there are lot of action scenes and/or smoke and dust. I've seen dozens of series in rmvb and in most cases it was enough.

That's like saying that it's passable quality as long as nothing is going on.

Maybe rmvb looks fine on a smaller screen, but on a 22" monitor it looks like complete crap.
Nov 19, 2009 5:02 AM

Jun 2008
vytah said:

I'd say it depends heavily on the kind of show you're watching. A talking heads show... RMVB is fine. A high-budget action show, assuredly not.

Drunk_Samurai said:

As long as there is demand for a particular container, who the hell are you to scold people for making it?
Peace through Superior Firepower!

formosan said:
Are you using some kind of advanced logic I don't know about? Have you decided to assign new meanings to English words? Are you just intentionally burning a straw man and knowing full well that you're changing the subject and misrepresenting a claim?
Nov 19, 2009 8:35 AM

Aug 2007
turkeymeister said:
vytah said:

I'd say it depends heavily on the kind of show you're watching. A talking heads show... RMVB is fine. A high-budget action show, assuredly not.

Drunk_Samurai said:

As long as there is demand for a particular container, who the hell are you to scold people for making it?

Demand for shit must always be a good thing.
Nov 19, 2009 5:36 PM

Jun 2008
Drunk_Samurai said:

Oh yeah, and you're like the only authority on what is shit?

Technology is invented for people to use, m'afraid. You're one exceedingly big prick to think that "people" means "you".
turkeymeisterNov 19, 2009 5:47 PM

formosan said:
Are you using some kind of advanced logic I don't know about? Have you decided to assign new meanings to English words? Are you just intentionally burning a straw man and knowing full well that you're changing the subject and misrepresenting a claim?
Nov 19, 2009 6:09 PM

Aug 2007
turkeymeister said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

Oh yeah, and you're like the only authority on what is shit?

Technology is invented for people to use, m'afraid. You're one exceedingly big prick to think that "people" means "you".

Shit technology always exists. People who use RMVB don't know what quality is.
Nov 19, 2009 6:16 PM

Nov 2007
I prefer AVIs because I know they'll run properly on my computer. MKVs are just a pain. Only one of my players will play them properly, and it's always a gamble. Never played RMVB. I don't think I have anything that will work with that format.
Nov 19, 2009 8:11 PM

Jun 2009
feder said:
Only one of my players will play them properly, and it's always a gamble.

VLC
There is no other Video Player.

Although I must plead I am guilty of harbouring 60Mb Bleach episodes and, gasp, 40Mb videos of Naruto when I was a novice in the ways of online anime.
Nov 19, 2009 8:54 PM

Nov 2007
mezec said:
feder said:

VLC

Although I must plead I am guilty of harbouring 60Mb Bleach episodes and, gasp, 40Mb videos of Naruto when I was a novice in the ways of online anime.
I have VLC, and guess what? it still doesn't work. The sound keeps going while the video freezes. The only option I have is to use mplayer if I want to watch mkvs.
Nov 20, 2009 4:32 AM

Jul 2008
feder said:
mezec said:
feder said:

VLC

I have VLC, and guess what? it still doesn't work. The sound keeps going while the video freezes. The only option I have is to use mplayer if I want to watch mkvs.

LOLCCCP.

Standalone codecs and VLC need to be burned as a condition of entry to MAL.
LEGENDOFTHEGALACTICHEROESLEGENDOFTHEGALACTI
Nov 20, 2009 8:40 AM

Nov 2007
Aeiou said:
feder said:
mezec said:
feder said:

VLC

LOLCCCP.

I have no idea what that is, but it probably won't work for Linux.
Nov 21, 2009 3:50 AM

Jun 2008
Drunk_Samurai said:

Or they really, really like having eps 1/4 the size of regular eps and don't mind the quality difference.

Having multiple codecs gives you choice. Simply because you take one option doesn't mean the other option is rubbish.

feder said:
Aeiou said:
LOLCCCP.

CCCP is a codec pack that just about allows you to play anything on your media player of choice, in quality that is generally superior to that of videos decoded using VLC.

But you're right, it doesn't work on Linux. I managed to play my stuff on Ubuntu by installing all the extensions and optional codecs for MPlayer (found them by digging through the help files). Maybe you could give that a shot?

formosan said:
Nov 21, 2009 6:14 AM

Nov 2007
turkeymeister said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

Or they really, really like having eps 1/4 the size of regular eps and don't mind the quality difference.

Having multiple codecs gives you choice. Simply because you take one option doesn't mean the other option is rubbish.

feder said:
Aeiou said:
LOLCCCP.

CCCP is a codec pack that just about allows you to play anything on your media player of choice, in quality that is generally superior to that of videos decoded using VLC.

But you're right, it doesn't work on Linux. I managed to play my stuff on Ubuntu by installing all the extensions and optional codecs for MPlayer (found them by digging through the help files). Maybe you could give that a shot?

CCCP. Okay. I know what that is. The LOL before it was throwing me off. I installed it on my PC and it STILL didn't work. I actually have an easier time playing mkvs on linux on mplayer than I did with VLC and the CCCP pack. I guess me and MKVs are fated never to be.
Nov 23, 2009 2:08 PM

Aug 2007
turkeymeister said:
Drunk_Samurai said:

feder said:
Aeiou said:
LOLCCCP.

RMVB is shit. No matter what it can't compare to anything else. Even AVI is better.
Dec 8, 2009 1:41 PM

Oct 2008
rmbv is watchable, but I only dl it if I can't find it in any other format.
Btw, I can't dl torrents - think there's some kind of firewall-ish thing that I can't get around.

Btw, if I may steal a bit of this thread, what is Mini MKV? All my Darker Than Black eps are MINI MKV, good quality and only takes about 6 minutes to download.
Where do I find more?
行けー幼子兵器!あれは木端微塵に粉砕しろ!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.