Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 29, 2014 9:47 PM
Mar 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This had lots of recap from the previous series. Season 3 also has new animations which is a plus, but I'm surprised to see Tenchi's supposedly dead mom appearing in the end.
Jan 10, 2015 6:43 PM

Sep 2014
Whoa! It's better than what I remember. Maybe its because I'm watching it in subs.

Pros:

Tenchi time: Tenchi gets a bit more development this time with the reintroduction of his student life (for the short time as it was) to his old home life. The introduction of Rea shows a female figure that helped take care of him and maybe his Dad when his mother died.

Plus the mother subplot brings a somber air to the show and what hints as developments not only for Tenchi but for his Dad as well.

It's good to see that Kajishima was thinking of expanding the cast's past and personalities.

Adorable and funny: The comedy was quite good on both sides (Tenchi side and the Masaki home side) but when all of them together it was great.

Plus the Ryoko and Ryo-ohki moment. You all can't tell me that wasn't 100%.

Overarching story: Once more its divided into two parts. The Z and Tokimi plot will bring forth the action/sci-fi elements while the newly revealed Tenchi's mom? will bring in the feels and comedy of the slice-of-life side. Works well enough for a seven episode OVA.

Con:

Recap: Parts of the ep was a recap for old viewers and for new guys to brush up on. It took up 9 minutes of screen time. I'm just gonna say that I understand that time has passed since the first two ovas so a brush up might be needed. However since this is season 3, a quick word telling people to go watch the first two would've worked better.

And again, this was for both new fans and old. A recap is essentially useless unless things happened in between OVAs.

Overall: 5/5. I'm hyped for this one.

I go where I wanna go, even if its into Oppai.
Jun 9, 2015 3:32 AM

Jan 2012
As i suspected his mother is alive.

Oct 29, 2015 2:14 AM

Aug 2013
Why is there a 15 minute recap in an OVA? It's the worst kind of recap too. It mixes new content in between each scene. Couldn't they just release a separate recap episode.
Aug 15, 2019 10:48 PM

Aug 2016
Is this really were tenchi ryo ohki starts going downhill? Because it was fun as the old ones. I really enjoyed it. A shame the animation is not in the same level of the 90s one but for early 2000s anime is actually doing a nice job. And the recap, while unnecesarily long, its not even damaging the episode.
:v
Feb 23, 2020 11:48 AM

Nov 2017
Unholy early aughts animation, flashbacks galore stolen from early OVAs, not even reanimated.

Yikes. Has all the hallmarks of a cheap product, but it was 2003.
Mar 7, 2020 5:55 PM

Nov 2017
Mayne, this was like one big recap episode. Then again, I can kind of understand since the years between this season and the previous one is a good number of years

Jan 8, 2023 4:12 PM

Dec 2008
In terms of the art-style Ryo-Ohki 3 feels like a massive downgrade... Some scenes like Ryouko "role-playing" Sadako look like a cheap fan project.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki 3 Episode 6 Discussion

Scrypt - Apr 2, 2009

23 by Raccoon_Citizen »»
Sep 13, 2022 2:11 PM

Poll: » Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki 3 Episode 5 Discussion

jacobpaige - May 7, 2011

5 by Starchaser »»
Apr 6, 2020 6:53 PM

Poll: » Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki 3 Episode 4 Discussion

-Karoshi- - Oct 29, 2014

3 by Starchaser »»
Mar 30, 2020 5:17 PM

Poll: » Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki 3 Episode 3 Discussion

-Karoshi- - Oct 29, 2014

4 by Starchaser »»
Mar 10, 2020 7:52 PM

Poll: » Tenchi Muyo! Ryo-Ohki 3 Episode 2 Discussion

-Karoshi- - Oct 29, 2014

4 by Starchaser »»
Mar 8, 2020 6:19 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.