Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Sep 3, 2009 3:19 PM

Jun 2009
Just got the complete season of this and was wondering if it was best to watch it subbed or dubbed..

How do the english voice actors match up to their jap counterparts?
Oct 3, 2009 5:12 PM
Apr 2009
The English dub for this series is a lot better than the original. The only thing is that one of the main characters is voiced by the same guy who does Light Yagami's voice from Death Note and they sound exactly alike.
Oct 3, 2009 5:22 PM

Dec 2007
Both the main characters and the support characters are voiced slightly better in English. I found the dub to be quite impressive. For the most part though, the English voice actors and their Japanese counterparts sound eerily similar. In short: To get full effect, go with the dub.

Black Lagoon sub: Great
Black Lagoon dub: Excellent
Oct 4, 2009 3:47 AM
Jun 2009
Original version > Not Original version

Movies, games, anime, books, whatever...

No exception.
Oct 4, 2009 8:57 PM

Jun 2009
Jadosra said:

No exception.

Thanks for the input guys.

Although, I disagree with the previous poster. Some very good dubs that come to mind are the Ghost in the Shell series and Cowboy Bebop.
Oct 7, 2009 3:45 AM

Apr 2009
delusional11 said:
Jadosra said:

No exception.

Thanks for the input guys.

Although, I disagree with the previous poster. Some very good dubs that come to mind are the Ghost in the Shell series and Cowboy Bebop.

Bebop, yes. GitS, no.

McGlynn did a decent job in the dub, but the rest of the cast are far too stale for my liking.

Same for Dutch in BL, I thought he was pretty good in the dub, but the rest are (IMO) not as good as the originals. Revvy was certainly better subbed than dubbed, she just sounds like a whiny housewife in the dub.

Bebop is the only anime I've ever watched where I prefer the dubs over the subs. So, I would say try the sub first to focus on it well, and if you go back to it, try the dubs.
Oct 7, 2009 4:00 AM

Nov 2007
SpudUK said:
Same for Dutch in BL, I thought he was pretty good in the dub, but the rest are (IMO) not as good as the originals. Revvy was certainly better subbed than dubbed, she just sounds like a whiny housewife in the dub.

That's how I feel about it; most of the cast was great. Revy was let down in the dubs with her voice sounding like some fat whiny bitch as opposed to the badarse she really is. The dub is one of the best I've heard for a series, but once again the main character's voice is just completely off. (Same goes for Death Note; Light's dub voice just didn't suit him at all whatsoever, everyone else ranged from tolerable to good).
Oct 7, 2009 5:27 AM

Sep 2009
Both are good in my opinion. :)
TIME TO LIVE FOREVER BABY!

http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=19549
Please join if you love Asian Cinema :)
Oct 7, 2009 2:58 PM
Apr 2009
Asako said:
SpudUK said:

That's how I feel about it; most of the cast was great. Revy was let down in the dubs with her voice sounding like some fat whiny bitch as opposed to the badarse she really is. The dub is one of the best I've heard for a series, but once again the main character's voice is just completely off. (Same goes for Death Note; Light's dub voice just didn't suit him at all whatsoever, everyone else ranged from tolerable to good).

I think it depends on which one you watched first. I watched the Black Lagoon dub before the sub and I think that it's a lot better. I prefer Revvy's dub voice than the original. And I like the Death Note English dub as much as the original.

Also, dubs and subs can give you different experiences. I've watched Lucky Star with dub and with subs and both of them feel different from one another but are still very good.
Oct 7, 2009 3:00 PM

Apr 2009
Yves said:
Asako said:
SpudUK said:

I think it depends on which one you watched first. I watched the Black Lagoon dub before the sub and I think that it's a lot better. I prefer Revvy's dub voice than the original. And I like the Death Note English dub as much as the original.
Same here.
This is a serious post. You're not allowed to delete it.
Oct 7, 2009 8:58 PM

Nov 2007
Yves said:
Also, dubs and subs can give you different experiences.

The only case I'll agree with this on (in a good way) is Those Who Hunt Elves. The dub was hilariously different. It was like watching two completely different shows, watching it in original audio and then dubbed. Was let down in the second season, though. ;.; But the first was great, in both original and English dub.
Oct 14, 2009 7:52 AM

Oct 2009
Forget about the sub. Just watch the dub, it's miles ahead of the sub.
Oct 14, 2009 7:54 AM

Apr 2009
Asako said:
Yves said:
Also, dubs and subs can give you different experiences.

The only case I'll agree with this on (in a good way) is Those Who Hunt Elves. The dub was hilariously different. It was like watching two completely different shows, watching it in original audio and then dubbed. Was let down in the second season, though. ;.; But the first was great, in both original and English dub.
Nerima Daikon brothers changed a lot in the dub and made it a lot funnier, and they did a gag dub with Ghost Stories just like they did with Those Who Hunt Elves.
Oct 14, 2009 3:34 PM
Apr 2009
TurnipKing said:
Forget about the sub. Just watch the dub, it's miles ahead of the sub.
Oct 14, 2009 3:44 PM

Apr 2009
Also, if you miss the dub, you miss the pleasure of trying to count how many times Revy drops the f-bomb.
Oct 15, 2009 3:13 PM

Mar 2009
This is one of the best dubs around.
Jan 8, 2010 2:01 AM

Mar 2009
One of the few anime's I actually enjoy dub than subbed.
The cursing sounds more enjoyable in english than japanese.
May 28, 2010 3:42 PM

May 2010
Black Lagoon has one of the best English Dubs I have ever seen (heard) in an anime.
Support Black Lagoon and buy both seasons with extras for only $40! http://www.funimation.com/blacklagoon/
Jun 24, 2010 9:24 AM

Mar 2010
i love the dub for this series which is saying something cause i usually prefer sub to dub

"I am the bone of my sword,
Steel is my body and Fire is my blood,
I have created over a thousand blades,
Unknown to Death,
Nor known to Life,
Have withstood pain to create many weapons,
Yet, those hands will never hold anything,
So as I pray, unlimited blade works"
Mar 17, 2011 1:06 AM

Aug 2010
I usually hate the crap out of dubs, but this one wasn't bad. Still prefer subs though.
Jun 20, 2011 6:14 AM
Jun 2011
I think this is one of the few dubs that is on par if not better than the original voice overs. I like Revy's dub voice.
Nov 6, 2012 5:22 PM

Sep 2012
So far I've only seen 5 episodes but I think I like the Dub version better.
Dec 2, 2012 9:37 AM
Jul 2012
Dub
Dec 8, 2012 10:45 AM

Oct 2012
I'm ten episodes in and thus far the dub is pretty decent.

I can't say anything about the sub though.
Dec 8, 2012 6:15 PM
Mar 20, 2013 1:55 AM

Mar 2013
Dub.Definitely better.

Mar 20, 2013 3:14 AM

May 2012
Dub all the way. Dutch, Revy and Balalaika sound infinitely cooler in English!
Jun 24, 2013 4:54 PM

Mar 2013
Black Lagoon dub > Black Lagoon sub
Revy is just not Revy in the subbed. I admit, she does have a kind of pitched voice(when she's pissed). But nothing wrong with that.

"Even when our eyes are closed, there's a whole world out there that lives outside ourselves and our dreams."
May 31, 2015 3:22 PM

Aug 2014
Dub FTW

Pros: Revy's voice actress (Maryke Hendrikse) also voiced in Barbie and hearing her swear is amazing!
Light Yagami is also in it ;)

Con: None
hiddentest007May 31, 2015 3:27 PM
Sep 20, 2015 8:20 PM
Jun 2013
dub. Revys voice is awesome.
Apr 29, 2018 9:14 PM

Jul 2014
If there was ever an anime to watch in English this is the one. The only one.
Apr 30, 2018 1:10 AM

Jun 2016
Jadosra said:

No exception.
I cannot let how wrong this is slide. Closer to the original does not automatically mean something is better. If anything, deviations from the original tend to improve the product, because the deviations can be made in retrospect.

People make it sound like being closer to the original means you're closer to the original intention of the creators, but the intention is already lost in the jump between culture. The social context will be completely different when watching something at a different time than it was released. Subtitles are a translation just as much as dubs are. Not to mention, the original creators are humans just as flawed as we are. Getting closer to their intentions might not be the best thing (Take the Usagi Drop manga and it's adaptation as an example). Dub voice actors and dub scriptwriters are artists too, and good ones at that (take Black Lagoon for example).

More topics from this board

Poll: » Black Lagoon Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

stephy_ccs - Jun 16, 2008

179 by wallus81 »»
May 27, 11:12 PM

Poll: » Black Lagoon Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

ixidor125 - May 17, 2008

114 by wallus81 »»
May 27, 3:44 AM

Poll: » Black Lagoon Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ManU-Alchemist - Nov 4, 2008

88 by wallus81 »»
May 27, 2:52 AM

Poll: » Black Lagoon Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

djinn_690 - May 25, 2008

115 by wallus81 »»
May 27, 2:03 AM

Poll: » Black Lagoon Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

seita - Aug 23, 2008

132 by Scarface_1 »»
Apr 16, 12:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.