First off, it’s important to note that in Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon Crystal, there are four classes of aliens. First, there are the original five sailors themselves: Sailor Moon(Usagi), Sailor Venus, Sailor Mercury, Sailor Mars, and Sailor Jupiter. Each one of the planets in the solar system is represented by a character, including Earth. Later in the series, these girls are joined by Sailors Pluto, Uranus and Neptune. And before you begin with the "Pluto is not a planet!" arguments: I know. So do the writers. But bear in mind that the original manga and anime were both made before Pluto's sad demotion. As for Earth, the representing character is Tuxedo Mask (Sailor Moon’s love interest), who is technically not an alien. And yes, although the girls are indeed all human, according to the story, each is the princess of her respective planet.
The second class of aliens are those serve the Dark Kingdom. These guys are bad news, and have as their permanent goal the theft of human life energy. All of this is for the purpose of raising their dark lord, Queen Metalia. Serving the purposes of the slumbering Queen Metalia is the evil Queen Beryl, and the Four Kings of Heaven: Jadeite, Nephrite, Zoisite and Kunzite. Each of the servants of the Dark Kingdom possess dark, magical powers, most of which are powered by human life force. Also serving the Dark Kingdom are the third class of aliens who directly steal the energy from humans: the youma.
In Japanese, the word “youma” is one of several words that means “monster”. In Sailor Moon, every episode has the girls battling against the youma that the Four Kings of Heaven create in order to steal human life energy. In order to create their youma, the kings will form model them after an existing human, who is typically kidnapped by the youma. The human-form youma will continue to go about the daily life of the human whom they are mimicking while stealing life energy in secret. All normal humans are capable of being mimicked. In the first episode of the series, Naru (Usagi’s best friend) discovers a youma in the form of her own mother.
The last class of aliens are good, but limited. They are the the two cats, Luna and Artemis. These two are from a planet called Mau, which we can only assume does not exist within our solar system. How they got to the Sol system is unknown (after all, how do cats make and fly spaceships?), but why they are here is clear enough. Luna’s purpose is to serve and guide the wayward and childish Usagi into becoming the rightful queen of the moon. Artemis’s purpose is similar, only to guide Sailor Venus in her goals. Both cats are very dissimilar, and each has a different relationship to his or her relative charge. Luna’s relationship with Usagi is rather quarrelsome. Artemis has a much better relationship with Minako.
Let’s get a bit more detailed in our analysis of the primary good and bad aliens that inhabit the lively, yet scary world of Sailor Moon Crystal.
The Primary Good Guys:
- Real Name: Usagi Tsukino
- Age: 14
- Main Powers: Moon Tiara Magic, Moon Healing Activation, Cosmic Moon Power
- Real Name: Ami Mizuno
- Age: 14
- Main Power: Mercury Bubble Blast
- Real Name: Rei Hino
- Age: 14
- Main Power: Mars Fire Ignite, Anti-evil Sign
- Real Name: Makoto Kino
- Age: 14
- Main Power: Jupiter Thunder Crash
- Real Name: Minako Aino
- Age: 14
- Main Powers: Venus Love Me Chain, Rolling Heart Vibration.
- Real name: Mamoru Chiba
- Age: 17
- Main Powers: Roses (used like throwing knives), Cane (used like a sword)
- Description: Luna is Sailor Moon’s feline guardian from the planet Mau. She directs Sailor Moon in the right direction, both during and outside of battle. She has a somewhat contentious relationship with Sailor Moon, and gets easily irritated with Sailor Moon’s childishness.
- Description: Artemis is Sailor Venus’s feline guardian. He directs Sailor Venus in the right direction, both during and outside of battle. He has a very close and caring relationship with Sailor Venus.
The Primary Bad Guys:
- Age: Unknown
- Description: Ostensibly, Queen Beryl is a human from earth, and not an alien. However, she serves the Dark Kingdom, making her alliance with and servitude to Queen Metalia all the worse. The mineral she is named after, Beryl, is more commonly known as an Emerald when it is green. It is precious and alluring.
- Age: Unknown
- Description: While she is not alien to our solar system, Queen Metalia is the embodiment of chaos and evil. She was born of the sun’s radioactivity, and is bent on the destruction of the Moon Kingdom. Her main powers consist of absorbing the life energy of other living creatures, and using that energy for dark purposes.
- Age: 18
- Description: One of the commanders of the Dark Kingdom, Until he is defeated, Jadeite works diligently to restore Queen Metalia’s power. The mineral that bears his name is semi-precious, and the source of the more common gemstone, jade.
- Age: ~19
- Description: One of the commanders of the Dark Kingdom. He works to steal human life energy for Queen Metalia. The mineral that bears his name is also commonly known as jade. In China, it is known as “mutton fat” jade due its yellowish color.
- Age: ~16
- Description: One of the commanders of the Dark Kingdom. Zoisite attempts to gather energy for Queen Matelia. The mineral he is named after is a relatively unremarkable and brittle.
- Age: ~25
- Description: Perhaps the strongest of the Dark Kingdom’s commanders, Kunzite is the oldest of the male commanders. The mineral that bears his name is more commonly known as Spodumene, and is an important source for the precious metal lithium.
The sailor senshi and the servants of the Dark Kingdom are opposing forces bent on the destruction of the others. Yet ultimately, we know who has to win. Good must triumph over evil. And besides. A meatball-haired girl like Sailor Moon could never lose! Right?