Sep 1, 2019
Karyuudo Fansubs delivered us in may 2019 something that all Transformer: Beast Wars fans around the world would appreciate; mainly the final chapter of the Japanese spin-off of the Transformers Beast Era: Beast Wars Neo series that aired in Japan. Now this is a sequal of the anime series Beast Wars II, so if you haven't seen that one, chances are you're better of watch that one first before you start this one just in case to prevent confusion. Sure, we all know the Transformers franchise only exists for purely one thing; 'to sell toys', but that doesn't really bother me. I still have
my very own Beast Wars toys from when I was a kid if I may be honest. You can say all what you want, but I still do like the Beast Wars franchise - even though it's sadly discontineud.
Story: 7/10 (Good)
After the events of Beast Wars II with the dissapearance of the troops of Lio Convoy, many eons(?) later, Big Convoy gets assigned new crew members as Maximals (Cybertrons) to collect the Angelmois energy capsules scattered around the universe. This won't be an easy tast, since Magmatron's troops that are the new Predacons (Destrons) have their own purposes in collecting the Angelmois energy capsules.
Caution: This anime relies a bit more on it's parent story named "Tatakae! Chou Robot Seimeitai Transformers" then the previous season Beast Wars II. But I assume if you're a Beast Wars fan, you would probbably already know that the Beast Era story line is just a side story from the original Transformers line.
Art: 7/10 (Good)
For a show that aired in 1999 the art is pretty decent to say the least. You could say nowadays it's a bit outdated, but for a 1999 show I think it still passes. Compaired with the previous season Beast Wars II and the spin-off movie, I can say animation wise it's a much better improvement for sure. Transformation scenes aren't that re-used anymore compaired with previous installments and you will see some alternatieve transformation footage through the series which is a huge step-up compaired with Beast Wars II. Really, I don't have much complaints at all.
Sound: 6/10 (Fine)
Sound wise not much is improved compaired with the previous season and side story movie, but it still get's the job done. It's just a bit of a shame the intro song and the ending song doesn't get changed over the 35 episodes (32 episodes and 3 clip-shows) for this series.
Character: 6/10 (Fine)
Compaired with the previous season, I personally find it a slighty downgrade compaired with Beast Wars II. Let me hear me out. I liked the charathers in Beast Wars II slighty better than the charathers in this anime. For example: I find the Maximals Stampy and Break personallity wise they are almost equal with each other and I'm not a big fan of Heinrad iether. From all the charathers; I find the Predacons has the most interessing charathers for sure. I do like the Predacons named Dead End and Sling the most. Oh and our cute tsundere D-Navi that aids the Predacons.
Here's a small summery of the main charathers in the show:
* Big Convoy: The leader of the Maximals. Can transform into a woolly mammoth (Mammuthus primigenius)
* Longrack: The most serious one of the bunch. Can transform into a giraffe.
* Colada: Rather wants to work alone. Prefers hot envoirements. Can transform into a cobra.
* Stampy: A bit of coward compaired with other Maximals. Can transform into a rabbit.
* Break: Looses it's patience very fast. Prefers cold envoirements. Can transform into an emperor pinguin.
* Heinrad: He's the mellow one of the group and the most Japanese cultured of the group. Can transform into a tanuki (Japanese folklore creature).
* Navi-chan: a talking computer that aids the Maximals in finding the Angelmois energy capsules scattered around the universes.
* Magmatron: The leader of the Predacons. Is a combiner Transformer between three differnt Mesozoic reptiles.
* Guiledart: The right hand of Magmatron. Can transform into a Triceratops.
* Saberback: Often mocks Sling. Can transform into a Stegosaurus.
* Sling: Often gets used for comedic purposes. Can transform into a Dimetrodon.
* Dead End: Doesn't like team work. Can transform into an ammonite.
* D-Navi: a talking computer similair like Navi-chan, but she's a bit of a cute tsundere and her design is differnt.
Other charathers gets introduced trough the series aswell just like previous entries.
Did I enjoy this anime afterall? Yes I did. I'm very glad I could finally completed the final missing piece of the Beast Era. I personally preffer this story line than the bullshit story we have gotten with Beast Machines here in the West. It just makes much more sense. Yes, I'd like to pretend Beast Machines never happend. Even today.
Overall: 7/10 (Good)
If you're a Beast Wars fan you would enjoy this piece of content for sure. Even with it's obvious flaws, I think it did a much better job than *shudders* the Beast Era ending we have gotten in the west with Beast Machines.
Reviewer’s Rating: 7
What did you think of this review?