Mazinger Z

Japanese: マジンガーZ

Type: TV
Aired: Dec 3, 1972 to Sep 1, 1974
Premiered: Winter 1973
Broadcast: Sundays at 19:00 (JST)
Producers: Dynamic Planning
Licensors: Discotek Media
Studios: Toei Animation
Source: Manga
Genres: ActionAction, DramaDrama, MechaMecha, Sci-FiSci-Fi, ShounenShounen
Duration: 25 min. per ep.
Rating: PG-13 - Teens 13 or older

1 indicates a weighted score.
Jun 26, 2010
Taguma (All reviews)
Mazinger Z is a classic of the mecha genre. This anime introduced many concepts which we see at any mecha anime, for example: The robot is the last hope of humanity, being piloted by a human (preferably teenagers), mad scientists trying to conquer the world, cronies incompetent or strange-looking people, a proud pilot woman (do you remember Asuka?).

In each episode is the same plot: Dr. Hell sends his Mechanical Beasts, Koji Kabuto runs to Mazinger, background music resounds, and the battle begins. Many emotions and feelings are mixed in the battle, but in the end, Mazinger is the winner.

I saw this anime in the 1980s read more
Jul 7, 2020
link9us (All reviews)
When it comes to monster of the week 70's mech series, this is pretty much about as simplistic and bare bones as you can possibly get both in characterization, stories, and animation. It had its somewhat great moments and I think what kept me invested was seeing Baron ashura and his many antics and conquests to try and take down mazinger.(But certainly not as great as "Berge Katse" from Gatchamon. ) Loved the episodes showcasing the many mazinger upgrades as well and some of the stories were inventive and quite interesting in early parts of the series. It then built up steam quite a bit read more