Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 15, 2023 9:00 AM

Nov 2011
Those civilians has a lot of courage to go out and fight but the soldiers clearly has an advantage in this war.

Looks like Thorfinn wants to avoid this drama and bloodsheed, which is a smart move. This war was going to be bloody from the start. At the same time, I think this was reality especially in their world. 

May 2020
Now there is some reason Ketil thinks he and his 300 men stand a chance against Canute’s royal army, I mean I don’t see how but yeah you shouldn’t make light of the capabilities of a delusionist. Barring Thorgil and Snake, and maybe a handful of people, it’s safe to say the rest of those so-called “soldiers” making up Ketil’s army don’t even know how to swing a sword properly. Though hey, they still going all gung-ho, after all some “Iron-fist” Ketil is leading them. 

Talking about this “Iron-fist” title, it was about damn time someone should reveal the truth behind it. So did Snake, while pep-talking his pals. About how he met the “Iron-fist Ketil” many years ago on the battlefield and was impressed of his might, and how in his attempt of searching that man brought him to this farm, where he met the Ketil we all know about, and that Ketil is a fake, who just happens to share the same name as the “Iron-fist Ketil” lmaoooo. Needless to say, this butthead took advantage of that fact for all these years.

Thorfinn and his crew are on the run in the midst of the war, but only if these people could escape without losing one of them. Arnheid :( Thorgil is upto some shit, which would bite him back tenfold, without a doubt.

Jun 2019
The preparation for war has already been started and it looks like both the parties are ready to butt their heads in. Canute is here with his 100 men who are more than enough to wipe out the Ketil's entire farm. But, at least the farmers are a little motivated even if they're due to their own respective debt. On the other hand, Sanke is a loyal man. He won't leave the farm just like that. And, his men are loyal to him. We also got to know about the reality behind the 'Iron Fist Ketil'.

The plan to rescue Arnheid from the farm is on the way and seems like Leif wants to help Thorfinn's friend out from there. My poor girl Arnheid. Her condition is very critical. I hope she pulls through. But, that scenery of her with Gardar doesn't give me much hope. :( Throgil is planning to surprise attack Canute. That could be very risky for both parties.

Arnheid. Please.
May 15, 2023 10:02 AM
May 2021
Another amazing ep & war is finally happening!!
May 15, 2023 10:07 AM

Oct 2022
Sad that Crunchyroll won’t put yet the subtitles for this episode… It is not the first time that they miss to add subs. And for a subscription payer is a huge issue.

May 15, 2023 10:10 AM

Feb 2021
So the sh*t hit the fan at last.
"The rocking of the cart puts them to sleep so quickly" Yep, the child is dead. Not that it wasn't obvious already.
Thorfinn and Einar being portrayed as a wolf and a deer was nice. I thought that Arnheid is dead too. Really pleasant surprise.
Gotta feel bad for Ketil's men

Next episode: Pain
Why is this so funny lmao
May 15, 2023 10:16 AM

Jan 2009
Arnheid is gonna die it seems sad

can Thorgill kill Canute? nah but let him try
May 15, 2023 10:20 AM
May 2022
what a cliffhanger, i can't wait. holy shit, vinland saga keeps getting better and better. OMG.
May 15, 2023 10:26 AM

Feb 2012
Thorfinn'a reunion with Leif has to be made brief on account of Arnheid's injuries and the ensuing battle.
Kinda disappointed Einar's declaration to Thorfinn that they should not call Ketil master anymore was left out
Ketil's secret is out in the open and the guests deploy for the farmers' losing battle against Canute's professional Thegns and Floki's Jomsvikings.
The latter held out against the first wave of the archers and advanced in an orderly fashion despite lower numbers.
Ex-Thegn Thorgell devises a strategy that would at least get them a Phyric victory; let the main force and poser father die as decoys while the sons ambush Canute.
Fortress_MaximusMay 15, 2023 12:25 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
May 15, 2023 10:28 AM
Dec 2015
Those soldiers got torn to shreds
May 15, 2023 10:33 AM

Jun 2014
Ketil's guys really started laughing when they heard the numbers of Canute's forces. Lmao I'll take 100 actually trained warriors over 350 peasant farmers any day of the week. Speaking of that bastard Ketil, turns out he's a PHONY. Iron Fist Ketil is someone else entirely and he just so happens to coincidentally share the same name 💀 he's been riding off of someone else's clout, what a FRAUD. 

The war is underway and of course, Ketil's men stand no chance. Just an absolute bloodbath out there with these guys getting slaughtered. Meanwhile, Thorfinn and co. are making a run for it. Oh no...Arnheid. I was hoping she would pull through but that dream with Gardar has pretty much erased all doubt that she's a goner. I'm dreading next weeks episode. 
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

May 15, 2023 10:35 AM
Nov 2022
another episode another plot twist with amazing story development - what is not to love
May 15, 2023 10:35 AM

Nov 2013
Peasants vs the elite, what can possibly go wrong for Ketil!

Such hype, episode ended too quickly. 
May 15, 2023 10:39 AM
Oct 2016
The battle for Ketil farm has begun! King Canute has arrives to shamelessly steal this land from Ketil and the surrounding farmers. Ketil amassing a wide array of people who owe him to come fight. Despite their gumption and high spirits it obviously doesn't go well. The fighter Canute and Floki have brought are much more experienced and overall better fighters than farmers whom know nothing of battle. Snake knows this better than anyone since he's the only one of the retainers that knows the truth about Ketil. Even trying to tell Ketil before the battle at they're going to lose if they fight. But honestly Ketil doesn't have a choice, its either fight or leave the country as penniless outlaws. Kind of an easy decision considering Ketil didn't do anything wrong to warrant Canute stealing his land. But the forces he's gathered are easily picked apart by Floki and Canute soldiers. Its not even close they're just being slaughtered, I feel bad for the farmers whom just wanted to clear their debts being brought to fight the kings men. Einar, Thorfinn, and Leif trying to slip out the back door with Arnheid still badly injured. Taking a slow ride away from the battle.

Very sad seeing Arnheid riding off to heaven with her two children and Gardar. Telling us that she's slipping away from life. But I'm glad that Gardar told her to go say goodbye to Einar and Thorfinn since they looked after her. Thorgil trying a sneak attack on Canute since they aren't defending their backs to the water. A veritable shark approaching his prey.
May 15, 2023 10:44 AM

Jan 2021
I really enjoyed this episode a lot more then I thought I had and I cannot lie that I got hyped from seeing Thorgil come out of the water in such a badass way,

Arnheid's scene was just pure sadness and damn that next episode preview is so rough and pain being the title just hits it home even worse.

On a brighter note though, it was nice to see Snake talk about how much of a fake Ketil is, he's a coward through and through
May 15, 2023 10:47 AM

May 2015
A very classic war episode.
May 15, 2023 10:58 AM

Jan 2018
So Iron Fist Ketil and Farmer Ketil are two completely different people. It was going to be something or the other. But I kinda wish they were the same person who went through the same realization as Thors and Thorfinn like I thought.

But I gotta wonder though. How's Thorgil so powerful if his father isn't Iron Fist Ketil? Makes it more impressive if he got his feat on his own instead of through his genes.

Arnheid woke up. I wish this isn't it for her. :( It'll be too sad to lose both the mother and the child together. And I'll also feel terrible for Einar.
May 15, 2023 11:06 AM

Nov 2016
Canute and 20 good men would actually be enough.

Ketil is a fraud and dang, Arnheid deserved so much better than that...

Great episode yet again. Nothing less for Winland Saga.
FMmatronMay 16, 2023 8:36 AM

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 15, 2023 11:14 AM

May 2020
these cliff hanger endings every week are killing me

May 15, 2023 11:18 AM

Oct 2019
oh god that cliff hanger is disgusting

watching this climax weekly is going to be painful. 
Also available at:
YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK8spdL1M_J-z0vO2C7jPLw
Second Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@AshPolygonsDo/videos
Why You Should Watch Akudama Drive: https://youtu.be/Yw0r52wRjgA
A Love Letter To Anime「AMV」: https://youtu.be/YQyqxFM2m9Q

My referral code to a website/app that gives you free money (a few cents a day) by using a few megabytes of your internet for file sharing. We both get a bonus if you use my link: https://r.honeygain.me/ARSHIA7942
May 15, 2023 11:27 AM

Dec 2015
The build up is paying off. I'm not that emotionally invested into a batttle since AoT S3P2. Though they're considerably different, specially regarding how one of the main elements at play is how to try solving conflicts without violence. Also another shout out for the music. It's the 3rd time this new theme is played and it never failed to give me goosebumps
May 15, 2023 11:29 AM

Apr 2018
Ketil's army is going down one by one, there's not a single one of them who'll be able to kill anyone except for Snake and Thorgel. Atleast, Thorfinn and the rest have escaped with Arnheid.
Interesting where it'll go now.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
May 15, 2023 11:30 AM

Sep 2014
As you could expect from the Danish royal army. It's a child's play for them to deal with a bunch of peasants, numbers be damned. Ketil's secret was finally revealed by Snake that he just took advantage of Iron Ketil legend so he and his farm can be safe from invaders. But against a king that's not going to work. Thorgil and Snake are the only ones who could actually pull something and the former is already trying to take out Canute by himself.

Meanwhile, Arnheid is on her last moments. RIP to the poor woman. 
May 15, 2023 11:30 AM
Aug 2016
So the battle has finally started. Don't forget to watch episode 18.5, where Ketil rallies up his men and hypes them to defend the farm against King Canute.

The episode starts with continuation of 18.5, with a short conversation between Fox and Snake. There are 350 men but only 100 of them are decent enough. Snake is impressed by Thorgil's strategy to rally up the men for fight. Snake then looks at Thorfinn in the distance who turns back, he is thinking something looking at him. 

A touching conversation between Leif and Thorfinn. Thorfinn thanks Leif, and Leif acknowledges his change as a human being. The group plans to wait one more day before things go out of control.

Snake and his band spot Canute's ships appearing from the north. They alert Ketil. From the north shore the villagers are attacked by arrows after a random NPC villagers fires an arrow in the water. Canute's ships land at the shore after clearing it off the villagers and set up camp there. His men send a warning to Ketil to give up the farm to be shown mercy. 

A short conversation once again between Snake and Fox who spy the camp. Fox is surprised by the mention of Jomsvikings in white capes. 

Snake tells the truth about Iron Fist Ketil to his boys and gives them a chance to leave if they want. The boys reluctant to leave join Snake in the battle. 

Thorgil and Olmar plan a backstage attack from the sea side right behind Canute's camp, during daytime.

Snake gives one final warning to Ketil that if they fight, they will lose. It falls to Ketil's deaf ears and he gives the signal to fire the arrows and start the fight. 

Thorfinn is looking at the fight from a distance who is in a cart with Bug Eyes, Leif, Einar and injured Arnheid. Their plan is to escape with Arnheid in the chaos. Overall depressing aura given the state of Arnheid's health (I could relate to that 🥲)

Scene shifts to dreamy sequence inside deep forest where Arnheid is with Gardar and both of her children. Gardar says that the forest is filled with murderous beasts, and they are going out of the forest to their home... Arnheid sees the wolf (Thorfinn) and the deer (Einar) and says that even in such a dangerous forest, people still live their lives. Gardar tells her to thank them before departing to their heavenly abode... 

"Tell them - the ones who looked after you - farwell. I'll be waiting for you here with the children"

Man I am choking up just writing this 🥹

Arnheid opens her eye, Einar tells Bug Eyes to stop the cart, scene transition to bloodshed in the battle. Olmar gives up the sneak attack, while Thorgil continues on. Episode end.

Wow, that was a lot to write. Given the name of next episode "Pain", this one's gonna hurt just like the Gardar episode, isn't it? As expected, she is going to pass on to the after life, isn't she? Even if that is known, it's still painful to process it...
I will say this in advance: May Arnheid's, Gardar's and their two children's soul rest in peace and hope they will be happy on the other side.

5/5 episode. infinity/5 pain. We continue to live through the pain folks, we continue...

KoustubhMay 15, 2023 11:45 AM
May 15, 2023 11:37 AM
Aug 2022
Brutal scenes after so long, damn.
May 15, 2023 11:47 AM
Jul 2018
Well no one can complain about the lack of fighting in this one. We'll all be pacifists when this battle ends I bet.
May 15, 2023 11:52 AM

Feb 2019
thebrentinator24 said:
Ketil's guys really started laughing when they heard the numbers of Canute's forces. Lmao I'll take 100 actually trained warriors over 350 peasant farmers any day of the week. Speaking of that bastard Ketil, turns out he's a PHONY. Iron Fist Ketil is someone else entirely and he just so happens to coincidentally share the same name 💀 he's been riding off of someone else's clout, what a FRAUD.
This piece of shit makes my blood boil now everytime he's on screen, I'm so repulsed to look at him. I knew he's good for nothing since he made his debut in the series. I'm just sorry for a reasonable man like Snake got into this clown's problems. But he has his honor to protect, as a warrior. I only see him, Thorgil and probably a veeery few men surviving this blood battle.

May 15, 2023 12:02 PM
Jun 2021
Even though Snake knows he gon die still he's fighting because he thinks he'd done a lot of things in life and it's time to payback, i liked the flashback where we see how he settled in the village. I also love Leif, even though they are taking Arnheid without Ketil's permission Leif left the money to buy her too just because she's Thorfinn's friend and Thorfinn wanted to save her. But hey the war has started and we know Ketil ain't winning it and i don't think Thorgill can take out Canute alone. Sad to see Olmar realize how he hates war and he can't fight.
May 15, 2023 12:14 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Amazing episode this one. And next one will be even better if they keep up the quality
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

May 15, 2023 12:41 PM

Feb 2019
dude vinland saga is such a vibe
May 15, 2023 1:29 PM

Jul 2022
bro thorgil kinda hot ngl, anyway dumb ketil gonna lose obviously but will thorfinn do anything to help tho
May 15, 2023 1:32 PM

May 2018
oh shoot the farm people are getting slaughtered. Canute's royal army truly is something to avoid at all costs
May 15, 2023 1:34 PM

Jul 2017
The Battle of Ketil's Farm, what an apt episode awaiting the worst of war once again between King Canute and Ketil's slaves. Thorfinn knows that Leif and Co. need to escape the farm, but with Arnheid still in a coma, he has to consider her circumstances, which Leif commends that Thorfinn has turned a total 180 since the last time he saw him. And within the next day, the enemy is sighted.

A slight flicker of a bow shoot, and Canute has the upper hand with Floki and the Jomsvikings being able to reach a further distance than the slaves. At the very least, Canute knows the value of the land, and wants to spare any bloodshed upon on the farm as much as possible. Ketil's clan subjected to 10 years of outlawry, and this is only a mere warning as Thorgil and the rest expand upon Canute's 100 thegn a.k.a elite troops against the 350-member cocky idiots clan, which felt like an insult to them. But these 100 thegns are not normal, they're about as strong as Thorgils himself, multiplied by 100. Fearing the worst, Snake ordered the retainers to leave while they stlll can. Snake has the most attachment to Iron Fist Ketil because he saved him when he was young, but he found an entirely different Ketil who's using the good name of Ketil to hide his true name. It's time for Snake's payback to Ketil, and Olmar and Co. are not willing to shear off their armors as a disgrace. 

The war begins, and Thorfinn signals the escape plan to have everyone bring Arnheid out in a careful manner, despite not a goodbye to the old Gramps before they left. A momentary dream that saw Gardar and their born children on the road home, the road has been a difficult one. The farewell to both Thorfinn and Einar, which awakened her soul, as the killings proceed and inches nearer towards Ketil, though the abandonment of the rearguard has some like Olmar quit, and Thorgil awaiting the moment to crush King Canute from the back.

The battle's only just begun, and more blood will be shed.

May 15, 2023 1:36 PM
Mar 2015
Now the real battle starts It was sad seeing Gardar and the children leave Amheid but it means that they will be waiting for her when her life is over
landofthekwtMay 15, 2023 1:39 PM
May 15, 2023 1:42 PM
Nov 2022
Thorgil has a good strategy mind plus he knows the guards cuz he was one but ever way his plan isn't gonna work he is too reckless and wants just to kill the king so he want see the other dangers
May 15, 2023 1:43 PM

Mar 2021
I'm satisfied with this reunion of Thorfinn and Leif. Leif acknowledged that Thorfinn has changed a lot. I'd say his eyes show the most change.

Great speech by Snake, It's great that his companions won't abandon him. Shoutout to Fox.

Baby confirmed dead...

I didn't come to this realization on my own but... A lone wolf and a friendly stag. Thorfinn and Einar.

Canute ain't falling, but I think this will be development for Olmar.
OdabraniMay 15, 2023 1:50 PM

May 15, 2023 1:48 PM
Aug 2020
Once again, it was wonderful, The characters are so deep, I wanted to applaud at the end.
otakuweek on insta for News /recom etc

just have a look, you won't regret it...
May 15, 2023 2:06 PM

Sep 2017
Ah what an evil cliffhanger. I'm hyped for whatever comes of Thorgil's surprise attack. Obviously Canute is not dying but still. I really wonder where tf the story is gonna go from here tho if Thorfinn really escapes with the squad. That dream sequence makes it sound like Arnheid is not gonna make it tho. I at least hope Snake and some of his homies make it out of this fight but Ketil can eat shit.
May 15, 2023 2:27 PM
May 2017
I wish Thorgil and Snake collab'd to make a decent strategy to increase survival odds for those fuckers Ketil lead to death lmao. But shit...should he win or lose that mf Thorgil is severely underrated by people surrounding him. He tactic is the most likely to succeed unlike the others who are operating off of pure hopium.

And damn, poor Arnheid is on her way out. I wonder how this will all play out. I'm anime only so I'm wondering if they truly will walk away from this just like that or if something with force a confrontation between Thorfinn, Canute and Floki

4.5/5
May 15, 2023 2:33 PM

Dec 2018
frustrating but good, was hoping einar and thorfinn would get in but snake continues to be a cool dude
May 15, 2023 2:46 PM

Feb 2014
It felt fitting for Snake to drop the truth upon his own men that Ketil wasn't the Iron Fist Ketil that Snake thought he would be. They're actually separate men altogether, but despite that, as well as the fact that Snake sees this as a losing battle for Ketil and his makeshift army, his fellow men still join him regardless.

With all of this going on, Thorfinn and the others were still tending to Arnheid's injuries, with the intent to getting her out of harm's way as soon as possible. Leif and Thorfinn had a touching moment, where Leif commented on how much Thorfinn had changed, which made me smile, although this was kept short due to Arnheid's struggle to survive.

As expected, the war between Ketil and King Canute was heavily one-sided. Despite that, Thorgil and his brother, Olmar, are making one hell of a risky sneak attack in a landscape where trying to do such a tactic would be very difficult to do.

With the way this episode ended and knowing now what the next's episode title is called, I'm sure that things are going to get more brutal and depressing. Seeing Arnheid's dream scene with Gardar before slowly waking up again is sad. Her odds of surviving are looking more slim than ever. I really hope she can pull through, but right now, I have my sincere doubts about it. =(
May 15, 2023 3:21 PM
Apr 2016
I feel like snake was lying to his men, and that ketil was indeed Iron fist.

Ketil being iron fist would explain why he has such a strong warrior son.
May 15, 2023 3:29 PM

Jul 2013
Fox started as a asshole, but turned out to be a true bro at the end. Respect for him and the rest of Snake's men.
May 15, 2023 3:33 PM

Jul 2014
Ketil is a goddamn coward and now a moron on top, thinks that because he has 300+ men he can beat elite troops, absolute moron.

Also thorgil is not even 1/100 of what Thors was and not even Thors really would be able to take a 100 man elite army alone, especially not with Archers, all he wants to do is take out Canute and has no plan after that.
May 15, 2023 3:41 PM

Jun 2015
Damn, not quite ready for the next episode, but let's go!
May 15, 2023 4:06 PM

Jul 2015
Andromeda567 said:
thebrentinator24 said:
This piece of shit makes my blood boil now everytime he's on screen, I'm so repulsed to look at him. I knew he's good for nothing since he made his debut in the series. I'm just sorry for a reasonable man like Snake got into this clown's problems. But he has his honor to protect, as a warrior. I only see him, Thorgil and probably a veeery few men surviving this blood battle.

You may call him a bad person, but not a bad character.
His own character arc and eventual downfall was something to behold and for you, it might to seem to be satisfying.
I knew, that at some point would have a character, that while morally gray, is still somewhat a "True Warrior" (at least seemingly) and evenfually drawing that metaphorical sword.
I still hope at least his younger son will become a True Warrior, which was actually foreshadowed this episode by how he couldn't swim with a sword on his back, which symbolized unnecessary burden.

Also, for the record, you should not put characters that time period to modern standards. Those are the times in which life was cheap and might made right, so when compared to other people from that age, Ketil was actually a pretty chill guy, but not when compared to modern standards.
PiromyslMay 15, 2023 4:11 PM

May 15, 2023 4:08 PM

Jun 2022
FINALLY SOMETHING HAPPENED
May 15, 2023 5:06 PM
May 2021
Great episode as usual
May 15, 2023 5:12 PM

Mar 2020
Pride can go a long way, but it can also be so destructive. While Ketil certainly seems to have the advantage in the amount of soldiers he has, they're just dumb idiots that are delusional enough to believe they have a chance. Snake certainly knows this is a losing battle, yet his subordinates still fight on, even after the revelation of Iron Fist Ketil being a fraud. Meanwhile, Thorfinn, Einar, and Leif hope to escort Arnheid away from the madness, but sadly, it seems she his on her last legs, and won't be alive for much longer. At least she'll be able to join her husband and kids.

The next episode has a very simple title, "Pain". It will certainly be a tragic episode, I can already feel it. Not even Olmar and Thorgil's little schemes can faze Canute most likely.
May 15, 2023 5:24 PM

Aug 2017
Finally. The battle of Ketil's farm is here. The build up for it has been worth it. All that character development, the world building, and the tension has amounted to an epic battle.
Ketil's men stand no chance against Canute's army. Even Snake knew that much. If they fight, they lose. Yet, Snake continues to fight for Ketil. I have a lot of respect for Snake as a character. He's really doing a good job being the farm's "body guard." I hope he doesn't get killed.

Looks like Thorfinn backed out of the fight and for good reasons. He can escape with Einar, Arnheid, and the goat Leif. Because screw that fight. It's an absolute blood bath.

Thorgil and his bro plan to take the sneaky route. Ambush King Canute from behind. Wish them the best of luck haha.

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 23, 2023

249 by FarCritical »»
Yesterday, 11:25 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 6, 2023

381 by Zekkenshin »»
Jun 6, 1:40 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 13, 2023

170 by DWERGman »»
Jun 5, 1:01 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 16, 2023

214 by FarCritical »»
Jun 5, 7:54 AM

Poll: » Who is the most handsome Vinland Saga man?

Shizuna - May 24

23 by Nunofurbusiness »»
Jun 4, 11:22 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.