Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Mar 4, 2023 7:28 AM

Nov 2011
Another episode, another interesting one with mysteries.

We do get to see more of the YoRHa Corps, the most human based characters in this anime. Even their attitudes shows a lot of what you'd expect in their tlimeline. Still, I liked this seeing this side of them. They got highlights in a tense battle and the music made the episode feel more impactful. It's a testament of the harsh fighting conditions in their world.

Mar 4, 2023 7:31 AM
Nov 2021
ishii cinema is here
Mar 4, 2023 7:36 AM

Feb 2020
Yet another solid episode. This is getting better and better.

Lily's backstory was very touching.

SerafosMar 4, 2023 12:12 PM
Mar 4, 2023 8:27 AM

Jul 2011

If is to have a type, my type is Type 4, with the ponytail and just one eye covered.

But everyone in that Yorha squad is nice. Having many personalities, than the now standard stoic.
Mar 4, 2023 10:26 AM

Oct 2017
That glimpse of A2 at the end was beautiful.
Mar 4, 2023 10:29 AM

May 2019
An excellent episode i loved it so much, we got to learn about lily's backstory and the sacrifice of the corps members and some of the past Yorha androids in a mission to deactivate 300.000 machine lifeforms chief among them type 2 android (OG 2B) and it, lily got infected by the virus by the hacker but the latter didn't survive the infection and she was likely killed off screen by the soldier who stayed behind. It ended with a teaser for A2 and comic skit of Adam & Eve.
Mar 4, 2023 10:36 AM

Mar 2020
Best episode so far, and one that finally got me invested in the story. Lily's past with working with the YoRHa squad, who back then, had more of a personality than what we see nowadays, with the stoic, robotic like androids, such as 2B. A very well directed episode, with Lily telling her story while walking with 2B, and the flashes between past and present was very solid and made it more emotional. It reflected the cruelty of war, especially when Lily got infected by the Logic Virus, her comrades were about to shoot her down, but No. 2 stopped them from doing so. The question of "Do we dream?" felt impactful as well, because, wouldn't it be better for them if all this combat, all this pain was just a dream and they would wake up in a nicer place?

I'm anime-only, so I don't really know who was shown at the end there, but something tells me that whoever that is, will be important to the story. Overall, a nicely directed episode by Toshimasa Ishii.
Mar 4, 2023 10:38 AM

Sep 2017
Yay was thinking we'd see the pearl harbor descent since Lily was the resistance leader rather than Anemone, did not disappoint!! Quite the interesting divergence with Lily being the survivor rather than Anemone though, wonder where this will go, looking forward to A2 reuniting with her, seems it will be a bigger deal in this case
Mar 4, 2023 10:42 AM

Oct 2022
Good backstory of Lily : for now the best directed and action sequenced episode. And the A2 spoiler. For me is more interesting that took another direction form the game like this episode. And i listen a good soundtrack never heard. Enjoyable

Mar 4, 2023 10:44 AM
Apr 2021
They adapted Pearl Harbor, very summarized but they adapted it, thanks Yoko Taro, this is all I ever wanted. Also best episode so far, Lily and No. 2's backstory is one of the saddest out of all of them and here they did an excellent job at portraying it, and if we're gettiing more insight into the ways of YoRha then do YoRHa boys please.
Mar 4, 2023 10:44 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Setting up a early warning system would really be beneficial considering last time the machines were that close to destroying the resistance. A2's group huh nice to see them get animated. Not to mention how they and the resistance were like in the beginning as well. The logic virus though is scary no matter how many times i see it. But despite that seeing A2's team and Lily's comrades work together to remove it really was heartwarming. The fate of the team though due to the refusal of command to send support sure was grim  But man Lily sure had one hell of a tough lesson to learn as a result of that operation. Overall a pretty good ep that did well to expand upon Lily while also showing how A2 developed her desire for revenge against her commanders as well. The ending visuals that gave a farewell to each of the resistance members was a nice touch.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 4, 2023 10:57 AM

Oct 2018
Another great episode, I wasn't expecting the Pearl Harbor Descent to be introduced so soon, maybe it would be better to show it later, but I don't know, I liked it anyway, I just found A2's behaviour a little strange in this episode. Is it just me or did they change A2's voice? I don't know if it's the same actress or if she's doing a different interpretation, we'll see.

@BlichoBoy If you've got time, it's a nice read.
https://myanimelist.net/manga/133622/YoRHa__Shinjuwan_Kouka_Sakusen_Kiroku
PhosphophyllitaMar 4, 2023 11:01 AM
If you're a fanboy, please don't waste my time.

Watch more movies, please.

Kafka, Fu Xuan, Jingliu, Topaz and Huohuo.
Mar 4, 2023 10:59 AM
May 2021
Watching this anime is making want to play the game! Btw is the manga based on the game or has new content.
Mar 4, 2023 11:14 AM

Dec 2020
THAT WAS INCREDIBLE 🥺
Mar 4, 2023 11:30 AM

Jan 2018
An episode focused on Lily? Unexpected. IIRC this part was even in the game but it was more like a diary with no actual visuals. So it was really cool what they did with that story in the anime! Obviously, the difference is that Lily is the survivor in the anime instead of Anemone. It was still cool to see Anemone in the anime.

That brief glimpse of A2 near the end though. Wonder if Lily will reunite with A2 later on.
jas-samaaa said:
Watching this anime is making want to play the game! Btw is the manga based on the game or has new content.
You should definitely play the games if you can. Both NieR Automata and its prequel NieR Replicant are one-of-a-kind experiences. While the anime is pretty neat I consider it supplementary material to the game. As in it's something you watch after you've already beaten the game like the Persona anime.

I know nothing about a Nier manga though. There doesn't seem to be any entry about it even on MAL. Maybe you confused them with the light novels?
Edit- I just found out about YoRHa Shinjuwan Kouka Sakusen Kiroku. It seems to be a prequel manga this episode was based on.
Mar 4, 2023 12:20 PM

Sep 2018
Phosphophyllita said:
Another great episode, I wasn't expecting the Pearl Harbor Descent to be introduced so soon, maybe it would be better to show it later, but I don't know, I liked it anyway, I just found A2's behaviour a little strange in this episode. Is it just me or did they change A2's voice? I don't know if it's the same actress or if she's doing a different interpretation, we'll see.

@BlichoBoy If you've got time, it's a nice read.
https://myanimelist.net/manga/133622/YoRHa__Shinjuwan_Kouka_Sakusen_Kiroku
A2's voice actress seems to still be the same, Suwa Ayaka. We'll likely hear the A2 that those of us who have played game are more accustomed to once we get her proper introduction.
And even in the game,
"Such honors may please a weakling, but I am strong."
"There are two kinds of people in the world: those who are (me), and those who are not."
"The Sorcerer King is Justice and weakness is a sin. All hail Ainz Ooal Gown!"
"Arrivederci."
Mar 4, 2023 12:28 PM

Jun 2013
Probably the best episode so far. Seeing
at the very end got me really emotional. 

Anime-only peeps are in for a ride.
Mar 4, 2023 12:32 PM
May 2021
0451 said:
You should definitely play the games if you can. Both NieR Automata and its prequel NieR Replicant are one-of-a-kind experiences. While the anime is pretty neat I consider it supplementary material to the game. As in it's something you watch after you've already beaten the game like the Persona anime.

I know nothing about a Nier manga though. There doesn't seem to be any entry about it even on MAL. Maybe you confused them with the light novels?
Edit- I just found out about YoRHa Shinjuwan Kouka Sakusen Kiroku. It seems to be a prequel manga this episode was based on.
thanks! Thats good that I know that info now because I seen the first volume in a book store & was confused whether its from the game or just a different story haha.
Mar 4, 2023 12:45 PM

May 2015
Best girl is here. Good to see her. :)
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Mar 4, 2023 1:13 PM

Aug 2016
I loved this episode, putting lily instead of anemone as a Pearl Harbor survivor and now leader of the resistance gave the story a little more emotional punch imo. Also, is there another reason why they switched from Anemone to Lily? not complaining, just wondering if there's more to it than the story itself.
Mar 4, 2023 1:38 PM

Mar 2010
Twas a good story. Weird hearing another voice from the 2b body type.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Mar 4, 2023 1:42 PM
Oct 2019
the best episode yet
Mar 4, 2023 1:58 PM

Apr 2012
Phosphophyllita said:
... I just found A2's behaviour a little strange in this episode. Is it just me or did they change A2's voice? I don't know if it's the same actress or if she's doing a different interpretation, we'll see.
This is a naive version of A2 from the past.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Mar 4, 2023 2:28 PM

May 2020
I don't know and i don't care if this anime/adaptation is good. But how UNIQUE is the anime and how UNIQUE was the game man? You can't find something similar..

Thanks Yoko Taro.
“Reality rejected… synapses shattered… be vanished from this world!” ~ Rikka Takanashi
Mar 4, 2023 2:37 PM
Jun 2019
LILY AND
BACKSTORY! 

Oh my god. I did not know what to think when the adaptation was announced, but this anime with the last two episodes has simply transcended reality. Yoko Taro, you absolute freaking legend.
Mar 4, 2023 2:41 PM

Feb 2014
This backstory on Lily's past was really intriguing and shows us how the resistance group, lead by Anemone, worked with YoRHa back then, whose personalities were more human-like compared to what we see from 2B in the present day.

Aside from a few light-hearted moments, this episode was rather brutal, with the whole group getting whittled down bit by bit in order to complete a difficult mission in the mountains. We do see how Lily became the sole survivor o the whole group and how she ends up leading the resistance group instead of Anemone is the game itself. Still, the emotions did hit effectively and makes for a more satisfying experience.

Not only that, but we do get a few seconds of an important character before the credits role with a special animation of Lily's fallen resistance friends, including Anemone. A really nice touch, I must say, which rounds off a great episode rather perfectly! =D
Mar 4, 2023 3:06 PM

Jan 2009
so the resistance are all androids too then im an anime only so i did not know
Mar 4, 2023 3:49 PM

Oct 2013
Impressive episode, I completely forgot about this lore and it was very entertaining seeing it animated. This is turning out to be an interesting spin-off.
Mar 4, 2023 3:51 PM
Personified

Sep 2022
It was nice seeing Lily's past, especially the past YORHA androids who all had good personalities and not like the androids of now. 9S an exception.

Seeing all of your comrades go one by one is horrifying to see, it was also very deep to see Lily try to kill herself near the end only to be stopped by the resistance leader.

Also apparently that's A2 at the end there. I haven't played the game so I'm just going off other comments. 

Another very well done episode!!

Mar 4, 2023 3:55 PM

May 2021
I was under the impression they were humans. Maybe it was a lie all along?

Also, that soundtrack playing during the battle was amazing, dunno the name though.

Mar 4, 2023 5:34 PM

Dec 2018
this is actually from the light novel: "long story short" and it's extremely sad and tragic, but i'm glad it was included.
Mar 4, 2023 5:36 PM

Aug 2011
DON'T DO THIS TO ME IS THIS ABOUT 2B MY FAVORITE EPISODE OF THIS ANIME?1
Mar 4, 2023 5:51 PM

Dec 2018
RioFS said:

Also, that soundtrack playing during the battle was amazing, dunno the name though.
i don't want to spoil but
Mar 4, 2023 5:55 PM

Apr 2016
this episode was incredible. 
Mar 4, 2023 6:10 PM

Apr 2022
different No. 2, still the same butt shots, nice. it was weird hearing a different voice because of the resemblance to 2B tho.
really good backstory on lily tho, that was rough.
Mar 4, 2023 6:13 PM
Mar 2018
deg said:
so the resistance are all androids too then im an anime only so i did not know

it was stated a few episodes ago
Mar 4, 2023 6:16 PM

Sep 2008
I thought androids were individuals with unique names and only yorha got numbers so what's with anemone and lily?
also this might be just my assumption but I thought yorha back then used the sword a2 has as basic equipment.
馬鹿げた倫理 全部ガラクタで
Mar 4, 2023 6:18 PM
May 2021
Meh.
Felt like a filler episode.
Mar 4, 2023 8:08 PM
Dec 2022
Slimsith said:
Meh.
Felt like a filler episode.
well it is.. this is Pearl Harbor explained further edition
as the person who play the game this episode answered my curiousity 

DAMN THE ENDING.. FINALLY THE WAIFU 

kinda funny another "2B" voiced by other seiyuu (thats Suwa Ayaka, the A2 VA but with different voice method acting right ?)
Hope next episode is "Family Reunion" .. 2B vs A2 
Hype 
Mar 4, 2023 8:33 PM

Jan 2021
glad to see the cute and innocent A2, only knowing that everyone except her and lily would die.
somewhere in the game did had this exact detail with the old yorha and resistance, I'd gladly see more in-game texts getting animated like this.
Mar 4, 2023 10:32 PM
Dec 2015
since this is just pearl harbour story in lily's point of view, im guessing we will have another pearl harbour story in A2's point of view later in anime. Because this eps feels a bit rushed, but it's still great imo.
Mar 4, 2023 10:33 PM
Dec 2015
nyugvo6 said:
I thought androids were individuals with unique names and only yorha got numbers so what's with anemone and lily?
also this might be just my assumption but I thought yorha back then used the sword a2 has as basic equipment.
(A)2 is using sword in the anime
Mar 4, 2023 10:41 PM
Dec 2015
StateofOhayo said:
RioFS said:

i don't want to spoil but
nah it's
Mar 4, 2023 10:42 PM

Jan 2022
omg omg omg omg

Fs in the chat for our fallen android waifus
-insert NGE meme here-
Mar 4, 2023 11:06 PM

May 2018
A2 babeh! YEEESSS! I love A2 more than 2B.
Mar 4, 2023 11:19 PM
Dec 2015
for those that didn't read the manga

Mar 4, 2023 11:20 PM
Oct 2019
SHES HERE LETS GOOOO !!
Mar 4, 2023 11:36 PM
Sep 2022
NieR is, and always will be, LIT!!
Mar 4, 2023 11:37 PM
Nov 2016
I've been shitting on this anime a lot, the previous episode was an improvement and this episode was definitely a big improvement as well, I must say, I freaking loved this episode, it was awesome so things are improving with this anime which is nice.

I wish the remaining episodes are as good as this one, this episode gave me a good reason to start caring about the characters as well, so far so good, I'm starting to like this anime thanks to this episode so I really hope the remaining episodes are equally as good.

So yeah, as you can see, I don't always shit on animes, if something is good then I praise it and this episode deserves all the praise it can get.

5/5 episode IMHO, definitely the best episode by far.
Mar 5, 2023 12:37 AM
Aug 2021
Prretty underwhelmed by this Episode, especially the later half, considering the latest Danmachi s4 episode did the same thing this week. A-1 really held back on the kills,b as some are off-screen, kinda made feel empty, while J.C.Staff showed all the carnage, which gave me nightmares, so having seen Danmachi beforehand, I can confidently say this is still not as gruesome and impactful as DanMachi, wish this could have been a 2 parter to make this episode pay off well.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Why It got hate?

Otaku_guru - Mar 5

19 by RegexShinobi »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » NieR:Automata Ver1.1a Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Embient - Jul 23, 2023

112 by SettyLove »»
May 16, 5:08 AM

Poll: » Are you an Anime-only or Player of the game?

Rob7 - Apr 27

16 by Kirito_Sama_ »»
May 4, 1:10 PM

Poll: » NieR:Automata Ver1.1a Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 7, 2023

467 by GustavoMizobu »»
Feb 20, 3:09 AM

» Should I play Nier replicant too before starting series?

Otaku_guru - Feb 11

7 by Otaku_guru »»
Feb 14, 10:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.