Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (10) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jan 7, 2023 12:08 PM
Oct 2020
Great first episode. Also, anyone who’s watching this who haven’t played the game. This is absolutely not a replacement for the game. It can only be truly experienced as a game, regardless of how well it does, the game’s creator said so himself, this won’t be a faithful adaptation, it will be a new take on the same story. since you can’t make a faithful adaptation of something like Nier automata
Jan 7, 2023 12:10 PM

Apr 2021
Piromysl said:
Holy shit, I was expecting a masterpiece and I'm still impressed.

Glory to mankind!
Easily AOTY.
year just started. Even this season just started. At least watch 5-6 episodes from every anime this season then say it's anime of the season.
Anime of the year comes later.
Jan 7, 2023 12:11 PM

Apr 2013
And some people flamed MAPPA for their Chainsaw Man CGI... the CGI here legitimately looked bad and didn't flow well whatsoever. Animation overall was okay but this clearly won't be as good as I first thought. A-1 remains hit or miss.
Jan 7, 2023 12:12 PM

Apr 2021
Why is she so emotional for a guy she met for only 10 minutes or so?

Or there's a twist? Like they know each other from before or anything?
Jan 7, 2023 12:12 PM
Jun 2017
I'm excited for the multiple ending puppet scenes! If its two cours that means we should get 24 puppets... godly.. 
Jan 7, 2023 12:15 PM
Oct 2020
caliburn1337 said:
As someone who played the game:
PROS
- OST is amazing, you can't go wrong with the game OST;
- Voice Acting is also amazing as always;
- Artwork is pretty good;
- Environment was beautiful;
- Good fight choreography for the most part;
- Great mixing of Route A and B as of now.
- 9S(my favourite character lmao);

CONS
- CGI was terrible, like really bad(they even reused models from the game);
- Adding to the CGI, they didn't even bother drawing 9S and 2B on some parts when they were on the mechas, looking very unnatural and lazy;
- Pacing is a bit too fast, some things were confusing, and the ending of the prologue wasn't as impactful as it was in the game;
- Something not as important, but 2B's face shouldn't have been shown on the first episode, that's a reveal that happens only in the end of Route A.

Final Rating
7.5/10
Hoping they slow down a bit, and don't abuse the CGI as much.

2B's face was shown in the game too, after getting done with settings she lays in bed without her eye cover.
Jan 7, 2023 12:21 PM
Dec 2021
this is a great first episode.
Jan 7, 2023 12:22 PM
Jan 2021
mshfqtny said:

Just wait and see
Or search abt the game
Jan 7, 2023 12:26 PM

Apr 2021
AnimadoHAHA said:
mshfqtny said:

Just wait and see
Or search abt the game
i would wait and see
Jan 7, 2023 12:27 PM
Jun 2022
I gotta admit that the 2D part are... quite not looking good, tbh. But the overall is okay, I'm not that kinda high standard and can pretty easily pleased.

And the most expected part for me is really portrait well.

Look as those juicy plump white ass of 2B, Jesus chirst !
Jan 7, 2023 12:28 PM

Jul 2020
Well I didn't understand a thing but it looks and sounds truly magnificent 
Jan 7, 2023 12:29 PM

Aug 2019
Mechs here just gave me even more appreciation for how good G-Witch looks

Jan 7, 2023 12:31 PM

Dec 2018
only game i ever 100%; played it so many times the only game i've played more is Earthbound for SNES. decent adaptation; animation might be a bit wonky but not terrible. it might not be the best start though for anime only watchers. this is definitely made for the fans, albeit there are many. nice use of the original OST as well.
Jan 7, 2023 12:34 PM
Jul 2022
Man this really is just a worse version of the game. Literally only worthwhile part was the puppet show for the end credits
Jan 7, 2023 12:36 PM
Oct 2019
SideCharacterKal said:
I've watched a few gameplay clips and that's about it. The mixed 2D and CGI is quite good to be honest after all the CSM complaints, it's nothing to worry about. The amazing voice acting and soundtrack stood out alongside the beautiful opening by Aimer. 2B and 9S were doing great until he lost his memories. Sadge, can't wait to see how this plays out. I'm all in to see 2B fight more.
mana oq é isso kkkkkkk
Jan 7, 2023 12:37 PM

Dec 2018
Reblex_7029 said:
How many episodes we are gonna get...? I mean how many episodes will be enough to cover this route?.......
 any game player here?
should be good for 12 episodes, not sure how far they want to take it. it's a game with a whole lot of possibilities and if they combine routes you could get 16 to 24 episodes so it's hard to say. i highly suggest you guys look up some videos on the preceding drakangaard series or revenant but it's always best to play the game. not only is the story amazing, but the music and combat is superb. seriously one of the best games in the last 20 years and i swear that's not hyperbole. i even have the books.
Jan 7, 2023 12:39 PM

Aug 2022
I have no clue on what the fuck is going on, but so far I'm liking it.
Jan 7, 2023 12:40 PM
Aug 2021
As a NieR Automata player, I really love the first episode. They must keep faithfull to the Lore
Jan 7, 2023 12:40 PM

Dec 2018
mshfqtny said:

there's a significant reason; actually one of the most important parts of the series but i won't spoil anything. you should really play the game. should be super cheap by now.
Jan 7, 2023 12:41 PM

Jul 2015
mshfqtny said:
Piromysl said:
Holy shit, I was expecting a masterpiece and I'm still impressed.

Glory to mankind!
Easily AOTY.
year just started. Even this season just started. At least watch 5-6 episodes from every anime this season then say it's anime of the season.

It was an obvious joke, bro. LoL

Jan 7, 2023 12:46 PM

Aug 2013
I can't believe that A1 did so bad with animation for series THIS popular.
I could already see from the PVs themselves that something was wrong, as no studio boasts such amounts of ugly 3D graphics in PVs, but still, I had some hopes. This just looks poor. I understand that some people worship this title as a game (I count myself among such, it's a once-in-a-lifetime experience, well, and Ishikawa Yui is a masterpiece as a 2b), but that doesn't change the fact that I can't look at something critically.

daveo42 said:
This is a port of the Switch version of the game with lower assets,

Um, Switch port of this game is great. And I'm saying it after finishing it on PC, PS4 Pro and now playing on Switch.
rsc-plJan 7, 2023 12:51 PM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jan 7, 2023 12:54 PM

Apr 2021
Piromysl said:
mshfqtny said:

It was an obvious joke, bro. LoL
it didn't look obvious
Jan 7, 2023 12:57 PM

Sep 2018
Oh boy, that was quite a trip down memory lane.

I certainly didn't expect the amine to be so faithful to the source, I hope it diverges as we go on, much as a retelling would be nice, a new story (or an epilogue to the original) would be nicer.

Quantum ille canis est in fenestra
Jan 7, 2023 12:59 PM
Jan 2021
Hilarious remembering the first part of the game.
Jan 7, 2023 1:11 PM

Dec 2019
NieR Automata is my favorite game of all time. After playing through a beautiful game with deep philosophical themes, I watched this for about 3 minutes, and shut it off. I gathered by the horrendous animation within the first minutes of the anime that this is going to be a shallow, rehashed version of the game’s story, and will have nothing like the impact the game left on me. I’m definitely choosing to skip this, because I don’t want my opinion of the game to be soiled, but maybe I’m wrong, and it will be great. Though, I don’t want to take the chance.
Jan 7, 2023 1:13 PM
Jul 2015
Never played the game. And going blind in watching. Episode 01 was okay, I’m a huge fan of S9 va and just had to see if this was something for me, A-1 on intro text, so have seen the episode. I love mecha, and it’s a while ago last one, so I need something like this again. GGI is okay, som awkward moment, but it’s okay. - it’s a 5 of 10 on first eps. Nothing special but not boring enough to not watch further, give it 6 episodes to se if something to watch true.
Jan 7, 2023 1:14 PM
Oct 2013
For me who played Nier Automata i'm feeling nostalgic.. they even used the OST from the game!
First episode were the prologue in the game, you can't even make a save before finishing it..
Loved the first episode!
Jan 7, 2023 1:16 PM
Apr 2017
Fiel al juego y muy increible
Jan 7, 2023 1:18 PM

Jun 2015
I heard about NieR for years and I don't like mecha anime that much so this show better be good.

The most interesting part of the episode for me was the end scene and that omake. It was funny.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Jan 7, 2023 1:19 PM
Jun 2022
Terrible use of CGI, it's unwatchable
Jan 7, 2023 1:20 PM

Sep 2018
Probably not going to be adding anything new given the number of comments there are already, but here's a few thoughts from someone who's played (and 100% completed) the game. I'll try and keep spoilers to a minimum.

There's clearly been a lot of care that went into this. The 2D segments looked great, both when it came to the animation for the actions and the art in general. The environments shown were also pretty damn accurate to the game - whenever 2B was in the factory, those were pretty much all areas within the game from what I remember, so it was pretty enjoyable watching this and knowing exactly where on the map they were. It was pretty surreal in the best of ways seeing it all animated, and the fact they brought the game's OST back too... perfect. Unless something truly extraordinary happens, I have no qualms with declaring this as having the OST of the year already. Can't wait to see how to they do things going forwards, and definitely looking forwards to more 9S.

As has probably been mentioned a lot, the CG was not the best. The Goliaths and robots looked alright, but the flight units... oof. They did not fit in well with the environment at all, and I really wish there was some better compositing. It wasn't enough to affect my enjoyment much, just rather distracting. The pacing also seemed pretty rushed, unfortunately. I wish the fight against the Goliath was extended a little, since I feel the anime almost made the battle seem a little bit too easy. Instead of a desperate struggle to defeat just one of them, it more seemed like 2B and 9S destroyed it without too much trouble and just happened to chance into getting injured. I also wish they kept 2B's opening monologue from the game instead of switching it up. It's an iconic moment, so it's a little confusing that it was changed.

If anyone's confused, though, I'd recommend they keep watching - things are left pretty much unexplained at the start of the game, too.
Jan 7, 2023 1:30 PM
Sep 2022
Honestly pretty disappointed. Animation is fine, nothing ground breaking. The CGI is something they probably shouldn't have been bothered with.

OP is pretty generic and not at all what we've come to expect from Nier and the related IP's.

Honestly even as a fan of the NeiR and Drakengard franchises, this is something they really shouldn't have bothered with, just like NierR:Reincarnation.

Proposal: Quit while you're ahead.
Jan 7, 2023 1:31 PM
Jul 2020
No efforts at all on the first episode... Awful CGI every minute, different voice actors for the main cast (9S is too friendly and arrogant imo) and the musics from the game doesn't do well with the "anime". Really disapointed with this anime, opening song is ok and visuals innovating but nothing that great. No ending because no budget i guess?

Just stop here please, and you guys make sure to boycott this, we can't just eat shit every seasons and make it like it's ok. React it's really bad this time!
Jan 7, 2023 1:32 PM
Mar 2011
A troll series I suppose.
It's literally the game. ANIPLEX lazily reused the game assets and called it a day. Everything is the game.

You technically can go YT and watch all the game cinematics, would work the same.

Have fun giving high scores on that shameful episode. rofl. This is 2023 AOTY woooooooo lessssgoooooooo
liedxJan 7, 2023 1:37 PM
Jan 7, 2023 1:34 PM
Jan 2012
Technically pretty okay, some pretty good scenes.
But the script was INCREDIBLY bad, like what the fuck happened ?
Mixing A and B routes was an incredibly bad idea and doesn't  work at all here since every tentative of iconisation is utterly fucked up by not only the script, but also by the switch of POV. 

Nothing works to a point that really shocked me.
Jan 7, 2023 1:38 PM
Mar 2016
Reshiram_IX said:
Will this just be an adaption of Route’s A/B or do you guys think they’ll include Route C?
Rewatch the OP. At about 1:23 in, check the dark bars on either side of the screen. Turn the brightness up if you need to.
Jan 7, 2023 1:48 PM
Feb 2021
tremendo anime 10000/10 GOOOOOD
Jan 7, 2023 2:02 PM

Jun 2009
I kept falling asleep during this episode. That CGI is pretty rough looking. Hopefully the next few episodes will be better. 
Jan 7, 2023 2:05 PM
Sep 2018
Well... as someone who beat the game at 100% years ago...
If you have the opportunity, play the game, tho the anime doesnt looks bad. its pretty much the game's story omitting gameplay parts and changing the pacing.
The anime seems to mix route A and B. i dont know how it will end up so im kinda skeptical.
So far... 7/10 because action scenes (in my opinion) are meant to be experiencied on a game but not on an anime/serie format :p
Edit: I forgot to mention the puppet thing at the end. very cool thing to bring context for the people who havent played the game :3
Jan 7, 2023 2:05 PM

Feb 2021
Played NieR: Automata and NieR Replicant two years ago and I have to say this looks amazing.

I just hope it doesn't get any toxic retarded waifu kid community because I'm about to spoil them real hard if I see some. It's sad seeing things you like getting messed up by idiots.

This masterpiece is the ultimate humanist fable. It makes you wonder what it really means to be human, what are the things humans do or have that makes them human and that the androids and machines lack, why do they kill machines if the two are fundamentally the same, Are those really emotions that the machines are expressing, or are they just just imitations?

:SPOILER: <spoiler> If androids fight for humans that do not exist just like humans fight for a god that was never seen and that a lot think does not exist, aren't humans the "gods" of this story that even machines worship and imitate? </spoiler> :SPOILER: .

The story gets very tragic at some point (by the beginning of C route for those who have played it). It has beautiful narrative style and meaning with very well written characters that will get you attached to them (9S for me personally). You'll see.

I just hope NieR Replicant gets an anime adaptation next because it's almost as amazing as NieR: Automata. Sad how it gets overshadowed by its 2017 sequel.

I'd recommand just playing the game really you'll be amazed (and don't you forget Replicant!) because the fighting scenes, action and felt emotions are really meant to be experienced first hand and not as spectator, but of you can't or dont want to, you're definitely missing out.

Guess this turned out more like a review of the whole anime and not just the 1st episode, but oh well... I don't know how to delete posts or if I even CAN delete posts so if anyone knows how to feel free to tell me, if you want to.
KxlnxzJan 7, 2023 2:20 PM
Jan 7, 2023 2:20 PM
Feb 2018
Come for the thighs, stayed for the cries
Jan 7, 2023 2:20 PM

Jan 2022
Ant his brings back memories. I remember not taking the boss seriously and then dying and being socked I had to replay the entire frickin thing all over again. I was very stressed after that.

Don't mind the CGI too much since is what the game looked like but I understand why it bothers some people. I think the animation does it's job well enough. Happy to hear theyre sticking with that S tier background battle music too along with the multiple endings.

Also android ass
-insert NGE meme here-
Jan 7, 2023 2:23 PM

Mar 2019
That was awful.

Setting aside the laughably bad CG that looks like it was produced 15 years ago, this first episode gave me no reason to continue watching from a story standpoint. They needed to give me a better hook in the first episode other than androids fighting robots in a post apocalyptic world. Who could possibly care? And I don't know why 2B is all so upset that 9S' memories were wiped out. He lost like 20 minutes of his memory. Who gives a shit... Go make new ones. I was struggling to finish this first episode so I'm going to bail out here because I don't have the patience to sit through another episode.
Jan 7, 2023 2:24 PM

Aug 2013
NorthmostIsle said:

Don't mind the CGI too much since is what the game looked like but I understand why it bothers some people.

It literally didn't.
The game looked way better even on the switch. Honestly, it would be much better if they just copy pasted whole in-game cutscenes instead re-working it into way worse looking cheap 3DCG.
rsc-plJan 7, 2023 2:27 PM
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jan 7, 2023 2:26 PM

May 2012
 NieR: Automata was my GOTY when it came out. It drags on a lot, but when it picks up, it's a master piece. 

That being said this was an okay episode. Not going to complain about how bad the cgi is. I mean I watched CSM last season and by now you should expect it. The pacing is fine, it just seems fast because she not exploring the map and fighting every enemy. It's a show not a video game lol. 

The feel of the show is also pretty much on point. Just like the first time playing you don't have a sense of relationships and how characters feel about each other. 

9s hacking scene was cool asf and they got the 2B moment down pack. I feel we will get better action scenes when more tougher enemies come along.

Overall 7/10
Jan 7, 2023 2:27 PM

Nov 2017
Haven't played the game but I've seen some clips here and there. The anime has a very intriguing setup 👀 The CGI ship looked god awful in the first shot only and then it was actually blended in really good.. what's up with that haha?

I like how we can see that 2B has a character depth 😬 9S could become a great character too - he went from "haha" to "let's get down to business" in few frames :D Overall I loved what I saw!
Jan 7, 2023 2:28 PM

Apr 2009
seems to be a Phoenix Wright threatment where you better play the game than you watch this. Unless you never knew about the game, but then you are going to spoil it and not play the better version. very conflicting
Jan 7, 2023 2:32 PM
Certified Simp

Feb 2017
Great ep! I know pretty much nothing about Nier (books/games/etc) so this is super interesting to me.

It looks like when they die, their consciousness gets re-uploaded to another model? And if possible their memories as well?

Oml 2B is the most attractive android I’ve ever seen fr 😍
Jan 7, 2023 2:33 PM

Apr 2012
They need to pump the brakes on the pacing. The video game had us invested in the lead characters (2b & 9s) right away because we (as players) HAD TO because it's necessary for interacting with the game. The anime doesn't have that prerequisite so the animation studio needs to go above and beyond to immerse us (the viewers) into getting invested into 2B & 9S and probably A2. I suggest they put additional anime only scenes here and there to get anime onlys hooked on the characters.

The 1st episode was fine but kinda rough around the edges but it still delivered.

I'm not one of those pretentious viewers who judge anime solely on animation or cgi because I've seen some beautifully made anime with limited to horrendous animation and artstyle but was completely amazed by the delivery of the story.
Janethan23Jan 7, 2023 2:49 PM
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum.
They should really do their whining at manga forums.

USERS ON MY IGNORED LIST:
RayReynolds - SSL443 - Dr4kon - Nerdanimefan1992 - ToTheMountains - Fiveskies
To add users to the Ignore list: (1) Go to Account settings (2) Click Forum tab and toggle down (3) Type or paste user name on entry box (4) Click Add and you're done.
Problem solved, you'll never have to see someone trolling ever again because their post will be closed/collapsed.
Jan 7, 2023 2:42 PM

Mar 2021
The cgi pretty much ruined everything. Not only is it poorly composited, the models lack detail. Ps2 visuals right here. This show's visuals are such a downgrade from the two shows they put out in summer.
icefirestone23Jan 7, 2023 2:45 PM
Pages (10) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Why It got hate?

Otaku_guru - Mar 5

19 by RegexShinobi »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » NieR:Automata Ver1.1a Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Embient - Jul 23, 2023

112 by SettyLove »»
May 16, 5:08 AM

Poll: » Are you an Anime-only or Player of the game?

Rob7 - Apr 27

16 by Kirito_Sama_ »»
May 4, 1:10 PM

Poll: » NieR:Automata Ver1.1a Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 4, 2023

105 by Rob7 »»
Apr 26, 9:05 PM

» Should I play Nier replicant too before starting series?

Otaku_guru - Feb 11

7 by Otaku_guru »»
Feb 14, 10:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.