Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (17) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Dec 29, 2019 5:36 PM
Feb 2018
That was a perfect episode. Askeladd sacrificed himself there just to have Canute be king and Wales to be protected. I think Thorfinn might actually just become normal again since the one thing he has been striving for the past 10 years is gone. That scene where the knife dropped was beautifully animated and sounded so nice. Those characters are possibly characters from future scenes being teased right now. Can't wait for season 2 but I might just read the manga. 9/10 anime.
Dec 29, 2019 5:37 PM

Oct 2013
TopgunUK said:
Honestly as a manga reader who has at times been let down by fights in this show that I thought would've been given more attention by the animators, I thought the animation in this episode was great. There wasn't a lot of fighting shown directly but what was shown was very well done.

The fact that he thinks a slideshow of super detailed but static coloured in panels from the Manga would've been better than the sakuga we got here says more about his own priorities than anything else, I would have hated that approach, it's lazy and takes you out of it completely.

True, it's an anime after all. Resigning for some good animated scenes to a slideshow, even with beautiful shots, would be a waste, since animation has its own methods to deliver an artistic message which are different than in those used in a comic (well, it's kinda obvious, lol), even if the animation adapts a comic. Comics have their own specific elements, animations have their own as well.
Dec 29, 2019 5:39 PM

Nov 2019
Lol Askeladd doesn't disappoint, the grin on my face when he killed the king, dunno if the king getting too close to someone who's armed and he deliberately angered, doesn't really matter if it was a smart person or skilled like Askeladd, even if you angered a moron, if it has a weapon don't get close lol

But will Thorfinn ever know who even hired Askeladd to kill Thors or is it even relevant, Floki gets away with something like that?

7/10
Dec 29, 2019 5:47 PM

May 2015
Yeah, at this point, I think it's safe to say that WIT is one of the best anime studios. They haven't done a whole lot and not everything has been amazing, but when they hit it out of the park, they REALLY hit it. They adapted something that was considered by most to be unadaptable, and did it almost perfectly. I really hope they decide to continue with VS, because it really deserves a continuous adaptation of this quality.

Dec 29, 2019 5:51 PM
May 2019
Out of the 3 animes that had 24 episodes from summer, this was just pure greatness. Yes, it had its flaws, but overall, it ended majestically.
I hope from the bottom of my heart for a 2nd season soon.
Dec 29, 2019 5:59 PM

Dec 2014
What an ending. Askeladd died as he lived and went out like a champ. This episode is the perfect example of why he's my favourite character. I like how Thorfinn's life mission was ruined, was bittersweet and wasn't predictable. Best episode imo
Dec 29, 2019 6:10 PM

May 2019
My favourite anime that I have ever seen. All aspects of the narrative resonated with me to a profound degree. The themes and characterisation were masterful, and the underlying anxieties are timeless.

10/10 for me, and the only anime that has been able to knock the nostalgia-god Naruto out of my number one spot - in just 24 episodes.

I absolutely need to read the manga now.

We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths.
As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are.
That's what death is, don't you think?

------------------------------------
Itachi Uchiha
Dec 29, 2019 6:14 PM

Nov 2015
Holy shit I've never ever seen a finale to be praised that much on MAL , wow! Literally the best shows here had a lot of hate if you notice , except this anime

Sadly the anime of the year has ended.
Askeladd was surely one of the best characters ever , you can't even tell if you love him or hate him for what he did , but no joke , this guy is a true genius , hope he R.I.P , he did his role and served his Prince and country until the end.

@Manga readers , who are the new characters? doesthe manga focus too much on them? what happens to old characters? I don't mind some spoilers.
Dec 29, 2019 6:18 PM

Jan 2019
Ahri-is-cute said:
Holy shit I've never ever seen a finale to be praised that much on MAL , wow! Literally the best shows here had a lot of hate if you notice , except this anime

Sadly the anime of the year has ended.
Askeladd was surely one of the best characters ever , you can't even tell if you love him or hate him for what he did , but no joke , this guy is a true genius , hope he R.I.P , he did his role and served his Prince and country until the end.

@Manga readers , who are the new characters? doesthe manga focus too much on them? what happens to old characters? I don't mind some spoilers.

They are new characters that are introduced later into the series, you'll see one of them if there ever is a season 2.
Dec 29, 2019 6:18 PM

Apr 2013
they executed every character well, nobody was a bystander at all everyone had purpose and connection that made with the viewer and the main casters.
Season 2 will be indeed sad with no Askemadladd but there are still another fantastic characters like Thorkell and don't forget about Floki he was very pissed when he saw Canute going to the crown and asking to what he is.. Also Canute is also another fantastic character to look forward to on season 2. (oh and Thorfinn too)
Dec 29, 2019 6:26 PM

Jan 2009
Adnash93 said:
deg said:
manga has still frames so it looks better though drawing wise

and damn the manga art is amazing for this

Oh, alright then. As I said, I can't judge since I haven't read the manga.

So compared to how Vinland Saga manga presented that scene, you say that anime adaptation was average? In terms of not only art, but filling emotions into this particular moment in the series etc.

check out chapter 53 of the manga you can see it for yourself there
Dec 29, 2019 6:32 PM

Jun 2016
And finally Askeladd dies lmao I'm happy about that.
I got what I wanted but not quite how I imagined I'd like it to be (I would've liked more brutal death for him) but I figured as much that they were going to give him this kind of send off.
Everyone else apart from him came out losers lmao
Canute - Loses Thorfinn and Askeladd
Thorkell - Loses his prey
Sweyn - Loses his life and does not get what he wants aka Canute being dead and not being in charge
Floki - Loses King Sweyn
Thorfinn - Loses his chance at a perfect revenge
Literally everyone had to swallow it here lol
Episode was fantastic and I liked it but I am interested to see how things go here without Askeladd around.
Perhaps that brother of Canute will come swooping about and be the next big bad. Who knows.
No announcements for S2 but there's a good chance it will happen but it's Wit Studios and they dropped SnK so not too sure either.
Gift by Mimurona

Dec 29, 2019 6:34 PM
May 2019
the ending is so cliffhanger, too open ended

They better announce season 2 already
a great end, i always love historical/political anime
Thorfinn still cant accept his prey that he care died
and why Askeladd didnt tell him that fukin Floki order Askeladd to kill Thors?
so Thorfinn could ask Canute to execute Floki.

i need season 2 i want to know what Thorfinn gonna do next after he cant get his revenge. and who is the guy at the end?
Dec 29, 2019 6:56 PM

Jan 2013
holy...shit. Askeladd definitely one of the best developed anti-villain ive personally seen. man's a genius even if actually costed his life

this last run of episodes had been amazing
Dec 29, 2019 6:57 PM
Dec 2019
After episode I listened Torches. It was a Thors moment.
Dec 29, 2019 7:05 PM

Dec 2015
Wow, what an ending. Give us season 2, Wit!
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Dec 29, 2019 7:09 PM

Jun 2012
Ohhh no more Askeladd... Damn I wanted to see him get really mad, like how when he split the other guy head in two. Floki was almost getting a taste of it.
Damn perfect episode.
Dec 29, 2019 7:19 PM
Oct 2018
As an anime only, I am blown away. RIP. What a great character, askeladd. Stabbed by the same person whose life he saved. Episodes like these are the reason I love seinen. Incredible story, great prologue. Time to read the manga.
Dec 29, 2019 7:26 PM

May 2018
Askeladd didn't only save Canute and Wales.

He also saved

Beautiful ending :^)

Season 2 please.
Dec 29, 2019 7:38 PM

Mar 2018
AOTY. Only Beastars, Babylon, and The Promised Neverland could be compared to this. Hope next year has an anime that would be on par with my 6th 10/10 anime. Kudos to Wit Studio and Makoto Yukimura. This deserves an S2 unlike those shitty shallow shows.
TruceeDec 29, 2019 7:45 PM
Dec 29, 2019 7:41 PM

Jul 2015
askeladd best boy of the year
!
Dec 29, 2019 7:50 PM

Dec 2014
Incredible episode and what a finale.

The moment Askeladd talked back to Sweyn, I figured he had some kind of plan but when he straight up just beheaded Sweyn I was astonished. I didn't expect to pull a stunt like that and the moments that followed were nothing short of epic.

Askeladd for all the crimes he's comitted including killing Thors went out a hero saving both his homeland and Canute. Tragically no one except for a few people will ever remember him as a hero but everyone will remember him as a maniacal murderer. :(

Thorfinn's reaction, damn. Now that his only goal in life is gone, what is he gonna do? It's a question that probably everyone wonders while watching this series and now I'm really curious, what is ever gonna do and how is he gonna move on from this?

It's ironic, the story began with the death of Thorfinn's father and now it ends with Askeladd's death who was in a sense a father figure to Thorfiinn. It's also interesting how the last episode is titled as the ending of the prologue.

Overall, easily one of the best shows of the season, if not the year and probably even the decade. I've seen so much praise for the manga that I was very excited for this anime adaptation and I'm glad to say that it lived up to everything I've heard. Nothing short of incredible at every point, in the story. The characters, despite not all of them being 'good' people are very compelling in their own right. Often while watching this show, I wonder what the point to all this brutal senseless violence is but between all the brutality in this show there's occasionally a real moment of humanity and compassion and it's perhaps their that the true essence of this show lies. That in all the senseless of humankind's violent past there was still hope and somewhere within all that chaos lies the answer to being a true warrior and seeing the beauty of the world and life.
Is there really no love in the hearts of men? I wonder, would this story be where it is without it?

9/10, we need a second season now. I really don't know if I should read the manga or just wait for a 2nd season announcement. There's not way it's not happening right?
Dec 29, 2019 8:06 PM
Jul 2018
@Yautja

1 I mean...you listed very few tropes that you associate with shounen anime. Your idea of what makes an anime seinen/shounen, are its tropes. Rape, exaggerated violence, are tropes that are common across both seinen and shounen anime. Hellsing Ultimate, Drifters, Berserk, are anime adapted from seinen manga that have VERY exaggerated violence. Future Diary is a shounen anime with lots of rape.

2 Alright, so hypothetically, I'll say you're right: that anime are defined as being shounen or seinen by what tropes they have. In that case, what happens if an anime has a bunch of shounen tropes, but also seinen tropes? What do you classify that as? You said that Vinland Saga is not a seinen or a shounen...then what is it? It's adapted from a manga, so it has to have a label for its target demographic.

3 Shonen and seinen are demographics, that appear as labels for manga, or anime adapted from manga, or anime that were originally light novels, then get a manga, then get a anime.

4 Plenty of seinen series are action: Jojo Parts 7-8, Fate/Zero, Berserk.

5 According to this article, there is a list of tropes you will find in shounen anime. I'm not going to go through all of them, as some of them are definetley tropes that seem almost exclusive to shounen:

1) "Shouting out the name of an attack"
There are seinen series that have also done this: in Fate/Zero, servants tend to shout out the names of their noble phantasms. In Berserk 2016, when Guts is fighting a certain apostle, the apostle shouts out his attacks.

3) "Tragic flashbacks"
This is probably in every seinen anime with a dramatic story: Fate/Zero, Berserk, Monster, the list goes on.

6 Vinland Saga is an anime about Vikings. It wouldn't make sense for there NOT to be rape, pillaging, and killing of innocents. Rape is never shown on screen in the anime, it's implied off screen. Vinland Saga is one of the least-exploitative dark anime I've seen. I mean, you could argue that its exaggerated violence is exploitative: Askeladd chopping off the king's head, Thorkell throwing an axe that tears through a bunch of guys' heads.

7 If you mean that Thorfinn acts like a child and thus it makes Vinland Saga shounen, why can't a seinen anime, an anime geared towards adults, be about a protagonist who acts immature, hot headed? Thorfinn's goal for revenge is not exclusive to shounen anime. Berserk is a seinen series about revenge. Most of the episodic stories in Hell Girl focus on characters who want revenge. The manga Hell Girl was adapted from wasn't shounen, or seinen: it was josei. Plenty of
books geared towards adults star child protagonists

Dec 29, 2019 8:31 PM
Jul 2018
RealTheAbsurdist said:
operationvalkyri said:

Btw were we meant to know who all those people at the end were or will it be revealed in s2?

It's gonna be revealed in season 2. If season 2 follows the manga, then the story will, for better or worse, depending on your perspective, will take a pretty different direction for a while, with a lot less intense action.
I find the characters more interesting than the action in VS so shouldn't be a deterrent. I remember having a conversation with you back in June when you were trying to convince me to give VS a shot and I was hesitant because of my bad experience with Planetes. You were adamant that I'd like VS. Gotta say you were right.
Dec 29, 2019 9:02 PM

Jun 2008
Pakumen- said:
Also I hate pride, to the point of despise it.

Good. So does the author of this story. You’re not supposed to like Thorfinn’s actions in the prologue arc. Obviously, he is never going to be the same after Askeladd’s death.
Dec 29, 2019 9:03 PM
Aug 2019
Alright, now this site is screwing with me. An 8.87 is fucking crazy. I wonder if they fixed the numbers when they glitched earlier today and messed them up again lol 😂. But if it’s true, I’m so fucking happy 😃
Dec 29, 2019 9:13 PM
Sep 2018
those characters in the end were hints to a continuation right?
Dec 29, 2019 9:13 PM
Aug 2018
The show was fairly good outside of Canute's poorly written character.

9/10
People with low average anime scores don't have high standards. They are just bad at choosing good anime to watch.
Dec 29, 2019 9:15 PM

Sep 2014
Wow I wasnt expecting this. Neither Askeladd suddenly beheading the king nor his death.
I was getting ready for some political intrigues but not this. Great twist.

Though considering Askeladd carried this show, I expect the rest to be unnecessarily drawn out with a boringly obnoxious MC.

8/10 because the end was so good.

Anything more is stretching it. This story just isnt a masterpiece.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Dec 29, 2019 9:23 PM
Dec 2019
Animes like these are rare. I really liked it. This was the least interesting arc of the manga (although i can't complain much since it's a prologue), but still, I think WIT studios did a great job adapting it. Some of the frames of this anime was just amazing and gorgeous. There was also some cgi and I felt they were really bad but they are very few and far in between.
I really want this anime to get another season. Solid 8/10 from me.
Dec 29, 2019 9:23 PM

Oct 2017
Great episode! RIP Askeladd. Hopefully thorfinn takes what askeladd said to heart.

I loved this anime. I think I might start reading the manga.
Dec 29, 2019 9:24 PM
Feb 2016
Hatsuyuki said:

This is all that needs to be shown.

10/10

2nd best anime of the decade (behind Hunter x Hunter)
Dec 29, 2019 9:28 PM

Aug 2015
hirahira said:

Good. So does the author of this story. You’re not supposed to like Thorfinn’s actions in the prologue arc. Obviously, he is never going to be the same after Askeladd’s death.

I mean, I kinda get that, but it's not only Thorfinn, the entire cast are moved by pride. Vikings fight to die like warriors and only care about their pride in battle and family. Askeladd put a martyr for his country, Thorfinn couldn't stealth kill Askeladd due to his pride being so high, and overall I can't stand actions that are followed by ego or selfish behavior.

And I know it sounds hypocritical, because I am a little bit selfish as well, but it is not that I not understand where they are coming from or how they think, I just don't understand why would you do something like that (this also applies IRL).

I know Thorfinn is going to mature a lot, but still, he is a painful character to watch and interact, and 24 episodes of the same kid being obnoxious are 12 hours of me seeing that obnoxious kid. That won't change. It's a similar situation to Eren and how everyone loves him, when they called him the Princess Peach of SNK before.
Dec 29, 2019 9:28 PM
Dec 2019
Bowman145 said:
Great episode! RIP Askeladd. Hopefully thorfinn takes what askeladd said to heart.

I loved this anime. I think I might start reading the manga.

You should because I think there will be a long time before we get another season.
Dec 29, 2019 9:29 PM

Feb 2015
@RealTheAbsurdist
1. Tropes are not the only thing I used to define them as genres, they're just the things I gave as example. It's the collection of these things that have evolved into a complex genre.
general character archetypes, themes, plot layouts, settings [...] shounen (or shounjo or seinen or josei) in particular amass a lot of certain tropes, art styles (shoujo in particular on this one), content, story layouts, etc, especially when they intersect with other genres like action, romance, etc.

2. That's not what I said and the vast majority of manga do not have seinen, shoujo, shounen, or jousei tags. They're not integral. So your multiply loaded question is null.

3. And they're also treated as genres by a significant if not majority of fans and the overwhelming majority of sites, such as MAL, Crunchyroll, etc. They're not just demographics at this point. I've already defined what a genre is, and if you want to argue that the aforementioned categories do not fall into the definition of "a category of artistic, musical, or literary composition characterized by a particular style, form, or content/subject matter" we have nothing to talk about. I highly doubt either mind will be changed.

4. Literally irrelevant to anything I've said. I've literally never implied otherwise. And I do mean literally. Do I need to say literally again to get this point across?

5. Your point? Plenty of genres share tropes and commonalities.
Dec 29, 2019 9:58 PM
Jan 2018
Wait it ain't finished yet? Not much surprised though seemed conclusive enough
Dec 29, 2019 10:01 PM
Jul 2018
Yautja said:

1. Tropes are not the only thing I used to define them as genres, they're just the things I gave as example. It's the collection of these things that have evolved into a complex genre.

Okay, but you're not giving a concrete definition of what makes a shounen anime, a shounen, or a seinen anime, a seinen anime. What does an anime need to have to be classified as a shounen? For example. What are the collection of these things?

Yautja said:

2. That's not what I said and the vast majority of manga do not have seinen, shoujo, shounen, or jousei tags. They're not integral. So your multiply loaded question is null.

I don't think I quoted you saying that. I don't know any manga that don't have a shounen/seinen/shoujo/jousei tag.

Yautja said:
3. And they're also treated as genres by a significant if not majority of fans and the overwhelming majority of sites, such as MAL, Crunchyroll, etc. They're not just demographics at this point.

I think those sites give false info on that. If you go to Japan, and ask a Japanese creator if shonen is a genre, I'm pretty sure they'll say no.

Yautja said:
I've already defined what a genre is, and if you want to argue that the aforementioned categories do not fall into the definition of "a category of artistic, musical, or literary composition characterized by a particular style, form, or content/subject matter" we have nothing to talk about. I highly doubt either mind will be changed.

A genre is not as complicated as you're making it out to be: an anime is a romance when one of the main focuses is romance. What does a shounen anime focus on, to make it a shounen? Besides that, genres have sub genres: for example, sub genres of romance include:

Contemporary

Gay and lesbian romance

Romantic mysteries

Historical romance

Regency romance

Victorian romance

Ethnic/multicultural romance

Inspirational romance

https://writersrelief.com/2008/04/13/genres-defined-part-i/

What are the sub genres for seinen and shounen anime?

There is no such thing as a, "complex genre." A mystery anime is an anime that focuses heavily on solving a mystery(s).

You didn't address point #7: that Thorfinn's goal of revenge, his childish behavior, is not a trope exclusive to shounen anime.

Yautja said:
4. Literally irrelevant to anything I've said. I've literally never implied otherwise. And I do mean literally. Do I need to say literally again to get this point across?

My bad, I misinterpreted something you said.

Yautja said:
5. Your point? Plenty of genres share tropes and commonalities.

You said that you can't classify Vinland Saga as a seinen or shounen, because it shares tropes from both, correct?
Dec 29, 2019 10:06 PM

Jun 2015
RIP Askeladd, I thought he would live more. Thorfinn lost his meaning of life for now.
Really impactul end of prologue.
See you guys in the manga discussion threads.
Dec 29, 2019 10:10 PM
Apr 2016
Wowww dammnnn askelaaadd
Dec 29, 2019 10:10 PM

Oct 2015
Next arc is my favorite because we will see THorfinn development as a characters, but goddam no announcement for s2
Dec 29, 2019 10:14 PM

Aug 2017
Lmao 8.87, im so glad for Vinland Saga.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Dec 29, 2019 10:21 PM
Jul 2019
Nurguburu said:
Lmao 8.87, im so glad for Vinland Saga.

Wow I left at 8.69 before sleeping. Gonna jump into the top 20 with this rate.
Dec 29, 2019 10:24 PM
Nov 2019
Generally, I would say this series is off to a great start. This finale absolutely floored me (I haven't read the manga, but I might need to), as Askeladd's descent into "madness" is a perfect encapsulation and fitting end for the Machiavellian anti-hero. Based on the ending, it's seems like we're moving onto different sets of characters, which is kind of a shame since I don't think Thorfinn's developed enough as a character. Manga readers, feel to correct me on that (without spoilers, please).
Dec 29, 2019 10:52 PM

Feb 2015
RealTheAbsurdist said:
Okay, but you're not giving a concrete definition of what makes a shounen anime, a shounen, or a seinen anime, a seinen anime. What does an anime need to have to be classified as a shounen? For example. What are the collection of these things?
As to what makes something Seinen or Shounen, there is a laundry list things, be it common tropes, general character archetypes, themes, plot layouts, settings, etc. As to what those tropes, settings and such are, they get more specific or discarded as certain genres (romance, historical, etc) overlap or diverge. An actual example would be stuff like the power of friendship, hard work bringing rewards, etc, being shounen, typically with genres such as action. Shounen, Seinen and the like are very unique in that sense, they're far more abstract and complex genres than something like romance or action, and I definitely get why people don't wanna call them genres or think they're not, but you cannot deny that shounen (or shounjo or seinen or josei) in particular amass a lot of certain tropes, art styles (shoujo in particular on this one), content, story layouts, etc, especially when they intersect with other genres like action, romance, etc.
I'm not going to play that game where some pedantic PITA questions every single word down the etymological basis. If that quote is not comprehensive enough for you, tough shit. I shouldn't have to give you a list of every angle, material, and build process when telling you that a knife is a cutting instrument. I've given you both a macro and a micro explanation as well as examples.

RealTheAbsurdist said:
I don't think I quoted you saying that. I don't know any manga that don't have a shounen/seinen/shoujo/jousei tag.
And I don't think I said you did, I said I didn't say what you said I did in this quote, which amounts to tropes being the only definer.
I'll say you're right: that anime are defined as being shounen or seinen by what tropes they have.

1. Made in Abyss
2. Kobayashi-san Chi no Maid Dragon
3. Overlord
4. ReLIFE
5. Onanie Master Kurosawa
Though I'm certainly wrong about the majority thing. That doesn't change the point that such tags are obviously not integral for manga and even more obviously not integral for anime or LNs. That also said, depending on whether or not you're treating it as a demographic or a genre, and what defines whether or not they deserve such a label (an example of one such argument is being published in a shounen/seinen/shoujo/jousei mag, an argument I have already stated why I disagree with [re: berserk being published in a shojo mag]), they can arguably be shoehorned into just about anything from any place.

RealTheAbsurdist said:
I think those sites give false info on that. If you go to Japan, and ask a Japanese creator if shonen is a genre, I'm pretty sure they'll say no.
Ah yes, everyone else, the vast majority is wrong (granted possible, but highly unlikely), you're right. You don't have to prove or explain why they're wrong, or why the vast majority of people think this, just assert it. Totally fair, totally sensical. It's totally not like words can take on multiple meanings across geographic landscapes and countries and change over time.
In Japan ice mean icecream, but sure doesn't any fuckin where else. That does not mean ice does not mean icecream. Especially inside Japan. If you don't see my point here, this is even more hopeless than I thought.

RealTheAbsurdist said:
A genre is not as complicated as you're making it out to be: an anime is a romance when one of the main focuses is romance. What does a shounen anime focus on, to make it a shounen? Besides that, genres have sub genres: for example, sub genres of romance include:

Genre: a category of artistic, musical, or literary composition characterized by a particular style, form, or content/subject matter
That doesn't seem very complex to me. What a genre is, is not complex. A given genre can be complex.
I'm not playing this game. Do the following, shounen, shoujo seinen, jousei, fall into that definition? Yes, they do, ergo, they're genres.
Do try and tell me that shounen (or any of the others), especially when they intersect with other genres like action, romance, harem, etc, are not generally highly similar, sharing style, form or content. Do tell me that manga like Kimetsu no Yaiba, Boku no Hero, Naruto, HxH, etc aren't all extremely similar, sharing tropes, character archetypes, plot structures, themes, etc.
Considering a lot of people agree shounen (among the others) is a genre, that in it of itself throws a wrench into your ideas. And since those labels fall under the literal definition of the term genre, and the fact that words can take on multiple meanings, evolve over time and can be used as slang, it's become a genre. Whether you like it or not, think it's wrong or right. It is. And before you play the game of "That's not what it's supposed to / original mean(t)", refer to "words evolve over time" and the etymological history of words such as awesome, or literal.

RealTheAbsurdist said:
There is no such thing as a, "complex genre."

You didn't address point #7: that Thorfinn's goal of revenge, his childish behavior, is not a trope exclusive to shounen anime.

Lmao, no. Just because one or even the majority are simple, does not mean that none are complex. You literally cannot prove something doesn't exist. It's fundamentally impossible. Not that you have given any logical justification for such a claim.

Because it's irrelevant and caught under "Your point? Plenty of genres share tropes and commonalities." and a massive straw-man of my position that willingly ignores the majority of what I've said.

RealTheAbsurdist said:
You said that you can't classify Vinland Saga as a seinen or shounen, because it shares tropes from both, correct?
Nope. I just said I don't think it falls into either category, I didn't not specify why.

This is no longer about clarification or mutual understanding, it's about winning an argument and therefore pointless.
YautjaDec 29, 2019 11:06 PM
Dec 29, 2019 11:02 PM

Jul 2014
Good thing askeladd killing the king.
Dec 29, 2019 11:03 PM

Mar 2019
I gotta say that i had my doubts at the start of this series...

And 2-3 more times while watching it...

But, damn.... This Ending, was Indeed the Best one they could gave us..

The Best ending of the Season, maybe of the Year, and of the last years...

I hope next years, people analise this ending, and use it for their series... cause its pretty rare to see a Damn Good ending now a days...

PS: I hope they give us a better Ending in Season 2.... they can do it.
Nyan-Pasu!... [ Ara Ara ] [ Waifus ]
Dec 29, 2019 11:09 PM
Apr 2018
I'm fucking shook!!
Dec 29, 2019 11:19 PM

Sep 2013
This episode was great, but I'm kind of conflicted that the sole character that I really cared about in any way ended up dying. Thorfinn & Canute don't really strike me as interesting characters yet.
Dec 29, 2019 11:27 PM

Aug 2016
Way to end a year and a decade. Simply fantastic! Modern anime wins
:v
Dec 29, 2019 11:29 PM
Nov 2015
Soooo... Canute's right-arm killed the king and Canute directly befefits from that, and NOBODY in the fucking room is going to at least QUESTION it?

Huge plot-hole, eh. Unless you guys could clarify it for me. I'm open to debate.
Pages (17) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» English Sub or Dub?

Benassiesto - May 11

25 by Quv »»
May 12, 4:37 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 20, 2019

259 by bronzeagesungod »»
May 9, 5:10 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2019

352 by bronzeagesungod »»
May 9, 4:39 AM

» Vinland Saga has an amazing plot... ( 1 2 )

Sanjay63773 - Feb 21

55 by peterross »»
May 9, 12:24 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 6, 2019

404 by bronzeagesungod »»
May 6, 4:44 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.