Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »
Jun 11, 2020 6:02 AM
Sep 2018
This episode was very interesting, one of the best. The story of Askeladd was good !
Jun 20, 2020 5:28 AM

Aug 2017
Askeladd backstory, very interesting and well done. He is my favorite character of this show, as a person despicable but a well written one
Jul 12, 2020 2:48 PM

Mar 2010
Askeladd is not wrong but at the same time... killing off all of humanity is also the right way to go. As long as humans exists, hate and violence will always exists. We don't need judgement or saving.. we need extinction.

Behold of my awesomeness~
controversial and/or sensitive topics likely devolve into the same repetitive, derogatory, abusive, and harassing comments can no longer be posted.
But my feels.
Aug 12, 2020 1:16 AM
GetsugaTENSHO

Jul 2012
Interesting, Askeladd finally told Thorfinn straight up how much of an idiot he was, he was just using the duels to make him serve him. Combined with Askeladd's own backstory, I think he was sending a message to Thorfinn that he should've just assassinated him from the start. he did have a chance too. All the years wasted........ @_@
張大です for 張大勇督察
Sep 11, 2020 1:20 AM

Feb 2013
I'm glad he killed his father like that, he deserved it.
Sep 17, 2020 3:29 AM
Oct 2019
Finally Thorfinn realized that he is totally outclassed.
Still, he is 15. He is a kid. One day he will become greater than him :)
Oct 5, 2020 6:57 AM
Oct 2019
I'm tired of these dumb duels. This kid is a moron.

Askeladd doesn't make sense. "I'm just a viking," huh? But he killed his own father? Ok.
Oct 12, 2020 8:16 AM
Apr 2019

Askeladd doesn't make sense. "I'm just a viking," huh? But he killed his own father? Ok.[/quote] How does Askeladd not make sense? He killed his father as a child to get revenge for his mother but he then spent the next 30 years of his life as a Viking. It was to be able to protect Wales from within and all that but he knows that all the terrible things he did as a Viking makes him unfit to be the king he wants to change the world.
Oct 18, 2020 8:46 AM

Mar 2018
I love Vinland Saga very much but the trouble is that I am more in awe with Askellad then Thorfinn. I loved how Askellad told Thorfinn flat out that he is a dumb idiot (he is). He is a bundle of anger and fury and very little intelligence (or if he has any, he never used it). Quite frankly Thorfinn isn't much better than a mangy, rabid dog and Askellad says so himself. I hope this is the point where Thorfinn will start to change.
Nov 2, 2020 9:32 AM
May 2016
cant find that there will be a dub.. so .i have a small monitor so i need the eng sub to be bigger...anyone that have seen it with bigger then normal subs ?

Cheers
Dec 9, 2020 11:47 AM
May 2018
lasso_914 said:
Askeladd again steals the episode.
His backstory was amazing, he waited 2 long years just to execute his revenge to perfection. man!
what revenge. I don't see her mother killed by her father.
Dec 10, 2020 5:07 PM
Jan 2017
Darth_InVader said:
lasso_914 said:
Askeladd again steals the episode.
His backstory was amazing, he waited 2 long years just to execute his revenge to perfection. man!
what revenge. I don't see her mother killed by her father.
Olaf treated Askellad's mother like a dog when he no more needed her, he let het in the stable like animal,i think that's worse than killing her. Getting revenge doesn't imply that someone was killed, it means this person has done something so bad the other can't forgive and feels he can't live without getting his revenge.

in askellad's case there a is kind of revenge, but not only that. Askellad just hated his father so much he couldn't stand him being alive, and he killed him not only to avenge his mother but also to help her and himself live a better life by inherting his father's goods. So yeah i think there was a little of revenge in his story but there is a lot of reasons why he killed his father unlike thorfin whose only reason for willing to kill Askellad is to get his revenge
Dec 30, 2020 3:01 AM

Jul 2015
Amazing backstory on Askeladd, seems like the difference between him and our boy Thorfinn is that Askeladd used his cunning strategy when assasinating his father with no honor while Thorfinn just rages in fair duel expecting different results. Hopefully this spurs some growth as Thorfinn really hasn't changed much since Thors' death.

May 13, 2021 2:13 AM
Jun 2020
well my prediction's where totally wrong, i guess somethings never change. Thorfinn got shit on like alway's. i really didn't want Askeladd to die, but i think i don't have to worry anymore. with that backstory too, O my god Askeladd is just as better version of Thorfinn in every way. he equally accomplished something. i wonder if Thorfinn's ever gonna learn...
May 27, 2021 4:17 PM

Apr 2019
It's insane how good this series is. Another phenomenal episode, I love how WIT adapts these text heavy episodes and how they fly by super fast. Askeladd climbs higher and higher in my favourite character list.
Jul 2, 2021 2:09 AM

Jun 2020
Thorfinn tends to get beaten up when it comes to dueling Askeladd or rather killing Askeladd he tends to take his rage on the guy rather than thinking straight

Askeladd had it rough from the past, Which just says that he's really confident with his abilities when it comes to combat and really excels on it, Even though he was just a kid wielding a sword like that for the first time in his life was like a refined warrior

Askeladd is serious when it comes to revenge and killed his father and that poor slave that was killed as well to attain no witnesses, Well he was quite right about the Vikings being one-dimensional warriors who only know battle such simpleton minds.
Aug 7, 2021 3:41 AM

Apr 2013
Thorfinn really is a pathetic little shit. But at least he finally realized after only 10 years that he only made the life for his biggest enemy easier.
Sep 26, 2021 10:10 AM

Mar 2016
Askeladd is a complex man, even if you thought you know him he presents you with a wealth of new aspects about him and his life.
The life of a bastard slave, that is the fat that has been given to Askeladd from the very moment he is birthed and awakened onto this world. And for years, that has stayed true. His mother's insanity is the catalyst to him eventually taking it upon himself to change his fate and the fate of others from the barbarity and chaos that plagued the Earth. After all, Artorias will never return.

The intellect and talent within Askeladd are already apparent the moment he wielded a sword against his father. In 2 years he has achieved more than what Throfinn did in 10 years. The difference between them is that Askeladd utilized his brain to accomplish his goals. Obviously, the latent talent is a massive advantage, but it doesn't change his accomplishment of killing his father, claiming his fortune all without being discovered.

The last scene in this ep was brilliant, it's the first time Thorfinn has genuinely reflected on his past, from the point where he is now all the way back to his first sign of aggression shortly after his father's death. Askeladd is much more superior and still is due to his mind, it's about time Thorfinn stop being a numbskull and process his father's advice for once.
Sep 30, 2021 6:38 PM

Feb 2009
These characters are so good. Askeladd is one of the most incredible antagonists I have ever seen in an anime series, he is so well written and charismatic, yet a truly menacing, mischievous and unpredictable man.
Oct 8, 2021 12:13 AM

Mar 2021
boring episode but nice to see askeladd's past
Nov 18, 2021 8:59 AM
Nov 2020
This was so necessary for Thorfinns inevitable character development.. I appreciate Askeladd Reality checking him.
Nov 26, 2021 7:01 PM
Oct 2021
Askeladd is an amazing character
Dec 13, 2021 6:36 AM

Aug 2018
Askeladd's character just feels like it keeps getting better and better as we progress with this story, it was expected that Thorfinn would end up losing like this
Jan 9, 2022 6:20 AM

Dec 2007
askeludd actually said what i think about thorfin. i think it's for the best though, we may finally have some thorfin's development.

askeludd's backstory telling us a lot about his current self, truly masterpiece of character. maybe even better than grifith (bresek)
Jan 27, 2022 12:44 PM

Jan 2021
I don't know why Askeladd said all this to Thorfinn, to kill him quicker?
Nice to know lit bit about his backstory though
Fight was rather boring, I was expecting it to be way closer, it was more of an Askeladd win with 0 diff
Mar 12, 2022 10:32 AM

Jun 2019
What an episode and what a character Askeladd is. At one moment, you can't tell what he's thinking and at the other one, he's one of the best-written characters there is. WOW... Loved this episode so much. Thorfinn really needed that for his character development.
Apr 28, 2022 3:39 PM

May 2021
Yes, here is when Askeladd's motivations make sense to me. Definitely a well-written antagonist in my books.

Aug 15, 2022 1:23 PM

Jun 2015
Brilliant episode! Learning about Askeladd past so much was most welcome at this point.
Aug 29, 2022 10:05 AM

Aug 2021
Askelad is a very well written character. Like his backstory, his ideals, the way he thinks and his character in general. I feel so bad for Thorfinn, even after everything he has been through he is still left with following Askelad again and again until he finally beats him in a duel. Unable to return to his family or stop being a warrior.
R.Jhouree
Aug 29, 2022 2:08 PM
Sep 2021
this episode was sad poor thorfinn man. i also feel bad for askelad but his father deserved it.
Aug 29, 2022 2:11 PM
Sep 2021
deg said:
also Thorkell knows that power scaling debates are bullshit lol

fr XD. sometimes it isn't though like saying goku beats vegeta or saitama that's just a fact. i get what you mean though.
Aug 30, 2022 1:58 PM
Nov 2019
damn this episode was hard
Sep 3, 2022 2:42 PM
Sep 2022
Askeladd's backstory was really good and we learned more about Thorfinn's rage.
Sep 12, 2022 7:11 PM

Jul 2013
This episode was the perfect proof why Askeladd is such a well written character. Hearing more about his past, how he was able to get his fathers attention, being loyal to him for 2 years just to take his chance to kill him when his guard was down is quite some dedication. Comparing a his younger self with Thorfinn now is like the difference between day and night.
In a duel Thorfinn always loses his temper and therefor all of his movements and intentions are easy to read. Not to forget he wants to get his revenge in a official and fair way, because that's how his father was handling things, which is kinda strange if you actually want to kill someone.

Especially towards the end you could see how defeated Thorfinn was after Askeladd's words. For him it's must feel like all he did in the last 10 years was for nothing. Hopefully he was able to learn something from Askeladd's little lecture.

With only 2 episodes left, I'm really curious were this will end on.
Natsu88Sep 12, 2022 7:14 PM

Sep 15, 2022 7:27 AM

May 2017
Askeladd is such a great character, and thorfinn.. well he's a strong idiot
Oct 5, 2022 12:17 PM

Dec 2016
eyerok said:
while everyone gushes over Askeladd, I always loved Thorfinn as a character more. The trauma of losing his father and his obsession over revenge, and the futility of his life's quest is something that resonates with me (as someone who has lost a huge chunk of his life on futile life goals).
This is the turning point for Thorfinn's character. And the season's end (if I think where it ends) is going to be very important for Thorfinn's character.
Always wanted to hug the poor boy, far from home, from his mother and sister...lost in his quest to avenge his father's murder, a quest that his father would never have approved of. 'Slave to his past and his pride'.

Yes, I agree completely! Askeladd has definitely grown on me but Thorfinn has always been my favorite. He has a ton of potential to grow, especially after what happened in this episode, and I've heard many people say that Season 2 will be great for his character development which I'm looking forward to.
MSochistOct 5, 2022 12:26 PM
Oct 9, 2022 4:06 AM
Jul 2018
one of the best episode ever Askeladd has done so many evil things but he is one of the greatest villain I've seen
removed-userOct 9, 2022 4:20 AM
Oct 9, 2022 2:03 PM
Aug 2022
just a amazing episode
Dec 16, 2022 2:13 PM

Jan 2021
Great GREAT G R E A T insight in Askeladd's backstory and childhood. Loved it :)

Dec 23, 2022 2:16 AM

Nov 2020
W anime. W Vinland Saga. W Vinland Peak. W everything.
Dec 26, 2022 9:58 PM

Dec 2022
I really empathize with Thorfinn. Desiring something so much your emotions blind you, which in turn makes it more unattainable. That scream of frustration he had at the end is something I've done quite a few times.

Jan 8, 2023 3:27 AM

Oct 2022
Everyone has been through hell, the past of Askeladd also justify his actions in the present.

Maybe Thorfinn will be able to win against Askeladd in the next season.
Jan 11, 2023 12:40 AM
Dec 2022
God Askeladd is legit the best character in all of vinland saga, And damn that is a tragic back story
Jan 16, 2023 4:27 PM
Oct 2017
Askeladd is becoming more of a father figure for Thorfinn
Jan 24, 2023 5:19 PM

Jan 2016
This show is trying really hard to make me think Askeladd is dope and it is kinda working.
Feb 16, 2023 11:08 AM
Nov 2022
im glad that we finally see thorfinn's ego destroyed - askeladd is so well written damn
Feb 18, 2023 3:20 PM
Aug 2022
askeladd gets cooler every ep i swear
Feb 19, 2023 12:18 AM

Sep 2015
Akseladd carrying the episode again. But I really wished they are showing whats happening with Helga and Ylva, it gets boring having all the center of the attention on limited characters. Thorfinn being annoying as always.
August 6th 2023: Biggest upset ever, deception, selfishness, or scammed, manipulated. Heavy damage costs, and more. Days since: 15 Last updated: 8/21/2023

One Piece Episode 1041 & 1042 & 1047 & 1048 & 95.75%/1049 & 1053 were a mistake and Uta brought the salvation -AhriTheS3xyFox

Apr 7, 2023 7:13 AM

Jul 2012
damn, it only took him 22 episodes (10 years), but i guess thorfinn may finally start to see how damagingly blinding his single-minded goal of revenge has been to him and how it has served and benefited askeladd this entire time
Jun 1, 2023 11:10 PM

Oct 2013
In merely 22 episodes, Askeladd has become one of my all time favorite characters. The last time I've appreciated a character this much was, maybe, Reiner, and it took him 4 seasons of Attack on Titan. Although a character who develops slowly is equally fantastic, it's impressive how much there is to Askeladd in such a relatively short time. I fucking love him, and his English performance is incredible. I fucking love this character.

On the other hand, it is impressive how little Thorfinn has changed in all this time, which was really the point of this episode wasn't it?

10/10 once again

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Pages (6) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 »

More topics from this board

» English Sub or Dub?

Benassiesto - May 11

25 by Quv »»
May 12, 4:37 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

800 by viking-Captain »»
May 10, 9:26 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 20, 2019

259 by bronzeagesungod »»
May 9, 5:10 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2019

352 by bronzeagesungod »»
May 9, 4:39 AM

» Vinland Saga has an amazing plot... ( 1 2 )

Sanjay63773 - Feb 21

55 by peterross »»
May 9, 12:24 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.