Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 15, 2019 7:30 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Heh, I guess King Sweyn overestimated his soldiers' potentials.

Askeladd apparently had knowledge about the assassination plot on the King. Apparently, Gunir is also a suspect for bring a spy so I can't say it's surprising that Thorfinn is assigned to find out more about him. . It was kinda hard to watch Thorfinn seeing how battered he is. That was tough to watch. Good thing they're keeping this adaptation uncensored.

Stark700Dec 15, 2019 7:49 AM
Dec 15, 2019 7:41 AM

Mar 2014
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.

Askeladd apparently had knowledge about the assassination plot on the King. Apparently, Gunir is also a suspect for bring a spy so I can't say it's surprising that Thorfinn is assigned to find out more about him. It was kinda hard to watch Thorfinn seeing how battered he is.

I think you are talking on the previous Episode bro...
this Episode contained the BEST PART IN WHOLE VINLAND SAGA ANIME SO FAR...
it is... Askeladd's Past!
God Thorfin got DESTROYED by Askeladd... I feel bad for him but... yeah he is stupid when it comes to "kill Askeladd"...
anyway, to the BEST PART
we already know that Askeladd is a son of a Viking and a Irish(?) Slave... but then he talked about how he killed his father (and the other slave he was sleeping with)
not only that, he ALSO used one of his brother's sword to have the blame on his brother instead of him... that's really... simple, but he chose to do it cause he knew that vinkings... ARE THAT SIMPLE.

I love Askeladd, he is an Amazing Character, gotta wait for next episode to see what's next!!!
Dec 15, 2019 7:47 AM

Nov 2017
Wow Askeladd is like an onion. So freaking layered. Props to the author for making a masterpiece of a character.
Dec 15, 2019 7:51 AM

Jul 2016
One of the best episodes so far, in my opinion.

Both Thorfinn and Askeladd have been through so much from such a young age, wanting to kill someone who ruined their lives and to manage to survive. It's quite ironic that the only one who didn't have many problems in their life is Thorkell.

The music made the tension so much better, props to the music composer!

Overall, 5/5
Dec 15, 2019 8:36 AM

Jan 2019
Holy shit.
What the fuck.
Absolutely, Phenomenal.
This was the best episode I’ve seen in so fucking long. Period. Time went so fast, I want more so bad.
I fanboyed at the end, legit. They did this part justice.
Thank you, Wit, thank you so much.
Dec 15, 2019 8:41 AM

Jul 2015
Wow another beautiful episode.

They adapted Askeladd's backstory so well.Best episode till now.

Dec 15, 2019 9:01 AM
Demon of Hatred

Feb 2015
I can't believe I forgot Askeladd's backstory. 2 years to fucking kill the guy in his sleep, wew. Absolute madlad. Such a beautifully written character, haven't seen such good character writing since 3-gatsu no Lion.

Yet again a masterpiece episode.

6/5
cchiguDec 15, 2019 9:08 AM
"Life is too bitter, so coffee, at least should be sweet..." - Hikigaya Hachiman (Yahari Ore no Seishun Love Come wa Machigatte Iru)
Dec 15, 2019 9:19 AM
Mar 2019
This episode solidified Askeladd as one of the greatest antagonists in anime ... he was always one of the best in the manga .... can't wait to see people's reaction after they watch the last episode .. people are gonna lose their shit
Dec 15, 2019 9:34 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Askeladd's backstory was just perfect 10/10 episode
Dec 15, 2019 9:34 AM

Jan 2009
Askeladd and the end justify the means really cool

and its more cool that he thinks he is not fit to be a king anyway since he is also a typical Viking that is a savage so he let Canute take over that is not yet tainted with savagery of the Vikings

Dec 15, 2019 9:37 AM

Feb 2018
As someone not familiar with the source material, this show started off just alright for me, but the entire 2nd cour has blown me away. Askeladd was the star today. I honestly don't know whether I'd call him a villain or not, but more than anything, he's just a great character.
*Mourning the disappointment of The Promised Neverland season 2.*
Dec 15, 2019 9:39 AM

Jan 2009
axel360 said:
As someone not familiar with the source material, this show started off just alright for me, but the entire 2nd cour has blown me away. Askeladd was the star today. I honestly don't know whether I'd call him a villain or not, but more than anything, he's just a great character.

call him an AntiHero and there is a dedicated thread about it here in the subforums
Dec 15, 2019 9:48 AM

Apr 2019
Wow, just wow......The story gets more and more layered.

Dec 15, 2019 9:49 AM

Jan 2009
also Thorkell knows that power scaling debates are bullshit lol

Dec 15, 2019 9:50 AM

Sep 2014
Phenomenal episode. Askeladd easily defeated Thorfinn once again while unarmed and called him out for his idiocy. So glad the anime did justice his backstory. It was simply perfect. He perfectly blended in and killed his father after two years and framed his half-brother for it. Such an amazing character.
Dec 15, 2019 9:50 AM

Nov 2016
They really did Askeladd's backstory justice, what a masterpiece of an episode.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 15, 2019 9:53 AM

Aug 2013
Fantastic episode. The best out of the whole series imo.

Askeladd went through a lot in his life. Taking care of his mother to killing his father. He even framed his own half-brother. Truly a great character.

He took down Thorfinn unarmed.

Dec 15, 2019 9:57 AM
Aug 2019
I’m gonna be really upset if this episode get lower than the 96 % it’s at now. One of the best episodes of the year and Askeladd is without a doubt best character of the year. Fucking phenomenal
Dec 15, 2019 10:05 AM

May 2016
This episode gave me chills down to my bones, what a past he had...
and love how he controllers those around him 10/5
Dec 15, 2019 10:06 AM

Feb 2011
Every week and i seriously mean it when I say it EVERY DAMN WEEK this show keeps raising the bar so damn high and I can't get enough of it. This adaptation is seriously blessed. Huge shoutout to the director Yabuta Shuuhei and all the staff at WIT.
Dec 15, 2019 10:10 AM
Mar 2015
Askelaad 's back story was great
Dec 15, 2019 10:13 AM
Oct 2013
Askeladd again steals the episode.
His backstory was amazing, he waited 2 long years just to execute his revenge to perfection. man!
Dec 15, 2019 10:22 AM

Jul 2017
Damn, that was a good backstory ep. Askeladd really is badass

Usopp8000 said:
Stark700 said:

Askeladd apparently had knowledge about the assassination plot on the King. Apparently, Gunir is also a suspect for bring a spy so I can't say it's surprising that Thorfinn is assigned to find out more about him. It was kinda hard to watch Thorfinn seeing how battered he is.

God Thorfin got DESTROYED by Askeladd... I feel bad for him but... yeah he is stupid when it comes to "kill Askeladd"...
anyway, to the BEST PART
we already know that Askeladd is a son of a Viking and a Irish(?) Slave... but then he talked about how he killed his father (and the other slave he was sleeping with)
not only that, he ALSO used one of his brother's sword to have the blame on his brother instead of him... that's really... simple, but he chose to do it cause he knew that vinkings... ARE THAT SIMPLE.

I love Askeladd, he is an Amazing Character, gotta wait for next episode to see what's next!!!

Stark700 confirmed bot
Dec 15, 2019 10:29 AM

May 2017
I absolutely loved every bit of this episode. That's all I have to say, like wow.
Dec 15, 2019 10:35 AM

Oct 2018
When you wanna hate that bastard Askeladd but love him at the same time.
Dec 15, 2019 10:43 AM
Jul 2018
Askeladd be like: "You are 100 years too early to fight me"
Dec 15, 2019 10:43 AM

May 2019
Man, what an amazing storytelling. Askeladd's past was so well done and when Thorfinn realised that he wasted his 10 years along with his childhood, I felt his emotions through the screen.

2 more episodes to go...
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Dec 15, 2019 10:44 AM

Jul 2017
Utterly amazing episode. Askeladd is one of my favorite anime/manga character period.

Also as a side note ignore the pathetic troll, he's doing the same thing he did in last weeks episode spewing out words he doesn't even understand and baiting people for a response. Don't give him the satisfaction.
Dec 15, 2019 10:45 AM

Oct 2017
Untill Thorfinn manages to control his anger and don't get taunted by Askeladd he won't ever beat him. Askeladd's backstory was nothing out of expectation but it was good it see it nonetheless.
Dec 15, 2019 10:45 AM
May 2017
Another masterpiece of a tearjerker episode. I guess Askeladd seems himself in Thorfinn.
Dec 15, 2019 10:46 AM

Dec 2014
Damn, that was incredible heavy handed episode.

The duel with Askeladd just absolutely overpowering Thorfinn and just straight calling him weak and too easy was just insane.

The way he just sits there and tells him about how you should actually kill someone you hate was menacing and he is literally provoking Thorfinn with his backstory and later on saying he had to thank Thors for giving him Thorfinn. Damn, Askeladd in this episode was just straight out demonic on so many levels.

Two episodes left, hate to see this end, I hope we get a 2nd season confirmed. I'd rather watch this is in animated form than read the manga.
Dec 15, 2019 10:49 AM

Jun 2014
Damn what an episode. Even at a young age Askeladd's opponents were playing checkers while he was playing fuckin 80-dimensional chess. His patience and planning skills are top notch. Phenomenal backstory for such an amazing character. And of course Thorfinn once again got his ass whooped. Rushing in without a plan, yelling like a shounen protagonist will get you nowhere against a seasoned vet. I suppose Askeladd sees his young self in Thorfinn but unlike Askeladd, Thorfinn isn't learning from his mistakes to find a successful way to kill Askeladd. It's the same shit over and over and I'm certain Askeladd is pissed off and over it at this point. Hence, why we saw him be a complete savage toward Thorfinn. And Thorkell calling all of that pathetic was the cherry on top that summed it up perfectly. Great stuff.

And lol at the troll above....still here after 22 episodes nitpicking at the littlest things to complain about. Whatever helps you sleep at night I guess xD
thebrentinator24Dec 15, 2019 11:01 AM
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Dec 15, 2019 10:55 AM
Jul 2018
I have to be honest; I teared up at the end. Thorfinn crying for the waste of his 10 years is just too much.
Dec 15, 2019 10:56 AM

Sep 2017
"How pathetic." I couldn't have said it better myself, Thorkell. That was a pitiful display from Thorfinn. Even after hearing that great backstory from Askeladd he is still raging.
Dec 15, 2019 10:59 AM

May 2015
Wow great episode. Ash demolished thorfinn mentally
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Dec 15, 2019 11:00 AM

Feb 2019
Askeladd is the man. Like seriously, he's one of the best complex characters I ever saw. Best ep imo.
Dec 15, 2019 11:06 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
They're doing this beautifully. The great voice acting just lifted this passage of the manga to the stratosphere. Cannot wait for the finale.

I really, really hope that we get a second season!
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Dec 15, 2019 11:11 AM
Jun 2015
Great episode and a good adaptation of Askeladd's past, I'm surprised that in original scenes they do not decontextualize the characters compared to another series with original scenes, I'm grateful for Yabuta's work here.

Ignore the thread troll, it's just the same words as a brainlet as commented on episodes ago.
Dec 15, 2019 11:11 AM
May 2014
Does anyone know which manga chapter/chapters this episode covers? I want to read ahead.
Dec 15, 2019 11:13 AM

Feb 2014
NinjaStuart115 said:
Does anyone know which manga chapter/chapters this episode covers? I want to read ahead.
The anime shuffled the material around a little, so while this ends with chapter 47, the first new material would be chapter 51.
Dec 15, 2019 11:14 AM

Nov 2009
NinjaStuart115 said:
Chapter 46 and 47. Though chapter 48-50 were already adapted in the previous episode so you should start from chapter 51.
Dec 15, 2019 11:17 AM

Jun 2014
thebrentinator24 said:
Damn what an episode. Even at a young age Askeladd's opponents were playing checkers while he was playing fuckin 80-dimensional chess. His patience and planning skills are top notch. Phenomenal backstory for such an amazing character. And of course Thorfinn once again got his ass whooped. Rushing in without a plan, yelling like a shounen protagonist will get you nowhere against a seasoned vet. I suppose Askeladd sees his young self in Thorfinn but unlike Askeladd, Thorfinn isn't learning from his mistakes to find a successful way to kill Askeladd. It's the same shit over and over and I'm certain Askeladd is pissed off and over it at this point. Hence, why we saw him be a complete savage toward Thorfinn. And Thorkell calling all of that pathetic was the cherry on top that summed it up perfectly. Great stuff.

And lol at the troll above....still here after 22 episodes nitpicking at the littlest things to complain about. Whatever helps you sleep at night I guess xD

Another thing I like Askeladd is, while he hates Danes and treat them like manipulatable puppets, he did tried to evoke something from Thorfinn, more precisely, a sense of self-purpose byond revenge. Askeladd completed the revenge, yet afterwards he just trapped himself in the same vicious cycle that his father committed, eventually became the exact same type of people he despised while he was still young. If Thorfinn still cannot grow himself out of this mess, then Askeladd has no problem to continue to treat him like a beast, instead of a "true warrior".

I love this kind of multi-layered character writing that goes beyond of good vs evil, or evil for the sake being evil.

Maybe just like Askeladd said, we are all slaves to to something, but it would be a great start to change if we realized that fact ourselves first.
Dec 15, 2019 11:18 AM

Aug 2012
Jesus fucking christ, Askeladd.
Dec 15, 2019 11:20 AM

Mar 2012
I expected this episode to give the series a ratings boost because Thorfinn finally got the beat down he deserved. Last 2 episodes will definitely cement this anime for a top contender for AOTY.

I really like how the anime reiterated that Thorfinn can't even remember the good days of his life before vengeance with that mini montage at the end.

Stark700 said:
Good thing they're keeping this adaptation uncensored.
No, this series is very much censored in different ways and things they leave out. We didn't see the Ear's heard being kicked into the air for target practice and last week we got no nipple from the dying slave girl. So the censorship if definitely there. I'm still disappointed that episode 10 left out Thorfinn letting a girl get gang raped. Askleadd's mom is Welsh.
MetaKiteDec 15, 2019 11:42 AM
Dec 15, 2019 11:31 AM

Mar 2016
Usopp8000 said:
Stark700 said:

anyway, to the BEST PART

Can we just admit that Askeladd is the GOAT antagonist of 2019, please?
Dec 15, 2019 11:51 AM

May 2019
deg said:
also Thorkell knows that power scaling debates are bullshit lol

Those were my thoughts as well when i saw it lol
Dec 15, 2019 12:01 PM
Jul 2018
Something kept me from shedding a whole river this time, but can't say the same about sadness, that entirely engulfed me in this episode.
I knew from the previous scenes that Askeladd is a strong-minded character, despite of his multiple tough circumstances this time it reached its peak and he is definitely climbing up my favorite-characters-list.

Extreme sorrow, blood-stained hands, yet a whole unwavering life experience that stands behind Askeladd, which Thorfinn has further to unravel.
Definitely outstanding.

Not to mention, consciously murdering your only-friend, Bjorn. To release one from pain..
Dec 15, 2019 12:05 PM

Feb 2016
This episode is easily on the top best episodes of the year. Damn, These last episodes made me respect Askeladd way more than I thought I would. Thorfinn definitely gotta change his mindset if he truly wants to avenge his father.

I'm really looking forward for the next last 2 episodes. Man I'm really going to miss this show, hopefully they'll make a second season soon. Can't believe I wanted to hate this anime back when it was airing, glad it changed my mind.

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
MonkeyDHunterDec 16, 2019 10:16 AM
"We could make the world better, but it's easier to just shut our eyes."
~Blackwall
Dec 15, 2019 12:26 PM
Nov 2015
Excellent episode. Again. And again. Vinland Saga, always delivering, week after week.

So next episode we're getting THAT FUCKING SCENE. Can't wait
Dec 15, 2019 12:35 PM
Jun 2019
This is it. This is the beginning of the climax of Vinland Saga, anime only viewers, get ready for what I believe will be some of the best episodes of anime history.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» English Sub or Dub?

Benassiesto - May 11

25 by Quv »»
May 12, 4:37 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

800 by viking-Captain »»
May 10, 9:26 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 20, 2019

259 by bronzeagesungod »»
May 9, 5:10 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 13, 2019

352 by bronzeagesungod »»
May 9, 4:39 AM

» Vinland Saga has an amazing plot... ( 1 2 )

Sanjay63773 - Feb 21

55 by peterross »»
May 9, 12:24 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.