Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Oct 13, 2019 2:54 PM
Nov 2018
Woah. The anime actually let vikings be vikings. Great idea to put it through the girl's eyes. Dark, depressing but well executed.
Oct 13, 2019 2:57 PM

Sep 2014
Episode of the year right there
Oct 13, 2019 3:04 PM

Apr 2018
ttcchen said:
Thorfinn looks so used to this kind of things. He's so blinded by revenge that he can't even differentiate right from wrongs. Though, in his time, survival is the priority even if you have to side with the wrongs.

In the end the girl's lips have turned purple, meaning she's about to die in the snow. It's better that way. Her 'good', faithful family have all gone to heaven and her, the 'sinned' one is left to suffer in living hell. It's better that she dies. Her saying that she's excited after seeing her family get massacred is such a surprise. It seems like either she's gone crazy or she has a wild side to her. After all, her stealing and Askeladd's guys killing are both crimes. It's not a surprise that she's excited when introduced to the 'other' side of life.

I'm honestly surprised that Canute wasn't even fazed during this whole ordeal. Is he okay with that?? Or is he just too scared to say anything??

he had seen the slaughter all his life
Oct 13, 2019 3:18 PM
Jun 2016
I was losing faith in the anime but this ep was very interesting. Just want them to give the focus back to the protagonist soon.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 13, 2019 3:24 PM

Nov 2018
CaioOlive said:
Damn. That was the level of "evilness" I was expecting when I started watching. Why the Danes were feared. Not only because of how they fought in the battlefield, but because they were mercyless. Anyways, is Vinland still going to be important on the anime? I feel like Vinland has been forgotten.

For the anime? Nop, theres a reason why this is called ''prologue arc'', vinland wont be very important until the story moves to the mid/end of the second arc, but it will be very important to the story.
Oct 13, 2019 3:25 PM
Apr 2013
DupeusT31 said:
I was losing faith in the anime but this ep was very interesting. Just want them to give the focus back to the protagonist soon.

But Askeladd had a decent amount of screen time this episode and the last few as well.
Oct 13, 2019 3:34 PM

May 2016
Cruelest episode by far a mile, my hate for them starts to get stronger than ever.
Oct 13, 2019 3:35 PM
Jun 2016
numtack said:
DupeusT31 said:

But Askeladd had a decent amount of screen time this episode and the last few as well.
Ik, but I was talking about Thorfinn screentime. I want to see how he'll develop into a pacifist cuz that's why I started watching the anime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 13, 2019 3:48 PM

Oct 2012
The episode was brutal in a sense and very reminiscent of what life was worth at those times but at the same time it brought nothing new to the table - as we were already shown many times before they are heartless bunch of killers. Sadly the girl was just another throwaway character.

The only thing I can think of is this was meant as catalyst for upcoming Askeladd's death but it was still just more of the same as always. It almost felt like episodic filler if not for that priest (who is really weird character plot-wise if you ask me).

I'm not saying the atmosphere is bad or something and I thought they improved a bit with last three great episodes. But the pacing issues are obviously still there. I'm no longer sure there would be any good payoff in the end to balance this dragging crawl from the start (in fact this is the same problem Wit had with first Attack on Titan).
Oct 13, 2019 3:56 PM

Jun 2016
Damn... This episode was priceless... Sad, beautiful, well-polished, well composited, really great BGM, amazing directing... And the storyboard, that fucking storyboard was fucking nuts, i'm speechless... It really left me with a hollowed feeling but not in a bad way, it really holds a sense of realism and harshness which another reason I love this series so far, but this episode visually delivered more than what I expected, from polished art, backgrounds and character acting animation...

Definitely a 10/10 for me.
Oct 13, 2019 4:07 PM

Jul 2015
adaptation of this part was very good
Oct 13, 2019 4:11 PM
Nov 2017
Dariat said:
I don't really get the purpose of this episode. We all know that vikings do bad stuff, we've seen it the show plenty of times already. Did they really need to do a whole episode about this?

There are a lot of things will happen because of this episode. Remember when Askeladd said "if there's someone survive, we will be surrounded by enemies" or something like that (I'm sorry, I don't really remember but you get the point. This is from the scene where the villagers got murdered). And then, guess what? Anne survive in this event. So you can guess what will happen...

Oct 13, 2019 4:20 PM

Oct 2009
Lawren222 said:
irondark30 said:
I think the point of it was to show that maybe, just maybe Askeladd lied about his Danish blood being weaker than his Welsh blood. He mentioned that pillaging villages was a Danish tradition that they had to carry out, which is odd considering he said he wouldn't let the Danes step one foot on the land, when in fact his own men are on the land, and carrying out their traditions nonetheless. In addition when he spoke in Welsh to the villagers, it was suppose to communicate a sense of relatability yet he showed no mercy to these people, his "real" people. Basically Askeladd really is a piece of shit.
⁹ I just want to clarify they were not in Wales when this happened, they were in Mercia( which is a part of England) the manga made them not being in Wales at this point a bit clear. Askeladd can communicate because Welsh and English are very similar languages. Nothing he did he hear contradicted what he said about wanting to protect Wales but it showed us that even he does have a noble goal he is still a monster all the same.

You're right to clarify that this episode is set in England which apparently a few people missed, but Welsh is not similar to English as a language, Old Norse is actually much closer to English, especially the Old English they'd have been speaking here.
Oct 13, 2019 4:23 PM
Apr 2019
TopgunUK said:
Lawren222 said:
⁹ I just want to clarify they were not in Wales when this happened, they were in Mercia( which is a part of England) the manga made them not being in Wales at this point a bit clear. Askeladd can communicate because Welsh and English are very similar languages. Nothing he did he hear contradicted what he said about wanting to protect Wales but it showed us that even he does have a noble goal he is still a monster all the same.

You're right to clarify that this episode is set in England which apparently a few people missed, but Welsh is not similar to English as a language, Old Norse is actually much closer to English, especially the Old English they'd have been speaking here.
Hmm for some reason I thought I heard they were similar.So Askeladd can speak three languages then I guess? He is smart and has being raiding England for 10 years so it does makes sense.
Oct 13, 2019 4:28 PM

Jan 2018
That was a good and emotional episode, the end was sad.
The only thing I don't like is that the girl at the end managed to stay alive after sleeping the whole night in the snow.
Oct 13, 2019 4:48 PM

Dec 2013
These guys are brutal as vikings are supposed to be.
Oct 13, 2019 4:50 PM

Oct 2009
Lawren222 said:
TopgunUK said:

Hmm for some reason I thought I heard they were similar.So Askeladd can speak three languages then I guess? He is smart and has being raiding England for 10 years so it does makes sense.

Welsh is a language of the Celts native to Britain more similar to Irish and Scottish gaelic, whilst Old English was brought over more recently by the Anglo-Saxons (English) and shares a common root with Norse.

Askeladd is well travelled and definitely speaks Norse, Welsh and English (when he asked the fisherman a couple of episodes ago to deliver his message he did so in English and the fisherman commented that his English was good but it sounded like he had a Welsh accent).

From Askeladd's point of view the English already invaded his country and England is just the part of old Britannia that they're currently squatting in, so he likely doesn't think much better of them than he does the Danes.

That allows him to do the things he did in this episode with few qualms while he probably wouldn't have done the same in Wales (although they really would be screwed if they hadn't done this).
Oct 13, 2019 5:21 PM
Jul 2019
That was so so mentally tough.
Oct 13, 2019 6:09 PM
Trickster

Jun 2011
Arguably the weakest episode in the series thus far. The gratuitous violence and empty monologues did nothing for the show. We already knew that this is a grim, cruel, and violent world and that Askeladd and his crew and the worst of the worst. This episode was wholly unnecessary.

On a personal level, I found it to be both disturbing and morbid. Seeing an innocent, God-fearing family, and village for that matter, cut down for no reason felt both wrong and like it was used for cheap shock value. I see that they were trying to establish empathy with this family by showing innocent children and how their hands have been beaten and battered by both the intense cold and the hard work that comes with living in that environment. But honestly, it all felt empty as we didn't know these people, nor do they have any impact on the story whatsoever. Same with the girl's monologue. I assume it was used to show that Askeladd and his men are beyond redemption and do not care about any consequences that may follow.

The priest's rambling continues to make zero sense, but his interest with Thorfinn's father is somewhat interesting. But I would hardly call it development for his character.

Other than that, this felt like a waste of time. Everything it established and put on display here are things we've known the first episodes.
Oct 13, 2019 6:24 PM

Nov 2018
This episode was dark, brutal and yet really good, I'm loving the animation and art style for this show

Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Check out my list of emojis you can copy and paste in the forums here. List will expand in the future.
Oct 13, 2019 6:32 PM
Feb 2019
Askeladd is increasingly dark. I think he's gradually losing himself mentally and getting bigger and bigger with his ego. Or maybe he's planning something attacking the village like that, there's no way to know. I like him for being a totally unpredictable character.
Oct 13, 2019 6:37 PM
Jul 2019
I don't get people saying this episode was useless or nothing happened in it when it was so obvious that Askeladd said if one of them survived they might tell those who are following them, and the plan might fail if they get surrounded by enemies. I don't think Anne role is done yet. Askeladd's fears came to fruition and one from the village saw everything and escaped after all.
el3melOct 13, 2019 6:49 PM
Oct 13, 2019 6:37 PM

Feb 2019
Kira70 said:
Askeladd is increasingly dark. I think he's gradually losing himself mentally and getting bigger and bigger with his ego. Or maybe he's planning something attacking the village like that, there's no way to know. I like him for being a totally unpredictable character.

He attached the village for his men and the prince to have a place to stay at and not freeze to death outside, there`s no further reason than that. Remember he said to Ragnar that they need a place and food for his men and it so happened that that village is right infront of them.

el3mel said:
I don't get people saying this episode was useless or nothing happened in it when it was so obvious that Askeladd said if one of them survived they might tell whose who are following them, and the plan might fail if they get surrounded by enemies. I don't think Anne role is done yet. Askeladd's fears came to fruition and one of the village saw everything and escaped after all.

Agree with you, it seems some viewers are not paying attention of what they are watching. And yes, her role is not done yet.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
DeadlyRavenOct 17, 2019 1:14 PM
Oct 13, 2019 6:42 PM

Nov 2018
Kira70 said:

He atacked the village because his men needed the food to make through the winter, he killed everyone because he didnt want any survivors alerting the english that they where there.
Oct 13, 2019 7:03 PM
Feb 2019
mainavi said:
Kira70 said:

He attached the village for his men and the prince to have a place to stay at and not freeze to death outside, there`s no further reason than that. Remember he said to Ragnar that they need a place and food for his men and it so happened that that village is right infront of them.
Eu sei disso porra, and even though I think his ego is rising. It was a very futile reason for him to need to eradicate an entire village. Comparing with Askeladd since the beginning of the anime, he's getting more cruel. Even from the start, he looks like a villain, sometimes he doesn't look as bad as he was in this last episode.
Oct 13, 2019 7:10 PM
Jul 2018
The violence was, once again, necessary in this episode; if the massacre was taken out from this episode, then Askeladd and his band would've died (unless the writer wrote around this from happening).

Kira70 said:
mainavi said:

Eu sei disso porra, and even though I think his ego is rising. It was a very futile reason for him to need to eradicate an entire village. Comparing with Askeladd since the beginning of the anime, he's getting more cruel. Even from the start, he looks like a villain, sometimes he doesn't look as bad as he was in this last episode.

I don't understand: how is Askeladd any different from how he was in the beginning? He's been massacring and pillaging villages for years.

Todd_ said:
Arguably the weakest episode in the series thus far.

I disagree for 3 reasons:

1) Without the violence in this episode, Askeladd and his band would've died from the cold.
2) This time, there's more intimate detail on the massacre: the perspective is shifted towards the villagers to build, even a little empathy for them.
3) As others have pointed out, Anne's survival is very crucial for the later episodes (that is, if they adapt the manga as they are now, which they most likely will)

Although I kind of agree with the monologing in this episode being pointless.

Todd_ said:
The priest's rambling continues to make zero sense, but his interest with Thorfinn's father is somewhat interesting. But I would hardly call it development for his character.

I thought that what the writer was trying to communicate with the priest's rambling was very clear: the priest's idea of love, is caring for everybody's life; not willing to kill anyone.

Mod edit: Removed self-modding.

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
DeadlyRavenOct 17, 2019 1:11 PM
Oct 13, 2019 7:17 PM

Oct 2013
This episode is perfect in every way possible.
Oct 13, 2019 7:18 PM

Oct 2009
Kira70 said:
mainavi said:

This is actually the most justified massacre he's ever ordered, and he's ordered plenty.

Usually it's plunder for plunder's sake, this time it's the only way to keep his band provisioned and moving and avoid alerting his pursuers or local forces.
Oct 13, 2019 7:23 PM

Oct 2015
That was a really cold episode.

Now I really hate Askeladd and his band of evil fucks more than anything right now. When is Thorfinn going to slay the bastard, this is getting way out of hand. This was truly evil, I'm hating on Thorfinn for helping and letting happen in front of him.

This episode was a true form of evil.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Oct 13, 2019 7:25 PM
Feb 2019
AbsurdistOtaku said:
The violence was, once again, necessary in this episode; if the massacre was taken out from this episode, then Askeladd and his band would've died (unless the writer wrote around this from happening).

Kira70 said:

I don't understand: how is Askeladd any different from how he was in the beginning? He's been massacring and pillaging villages for years.

Todd_ said:
Arguably the weakest episode in the series thus far.

I disagree for 3 reasons:

1) Without the violence in this episode, Askeladd and his band would've died from the cold.
2) This time, there's more intimate detail on the massacre: the perspective is shifted towards the villagers to build, even a little empathy for them.
3) As others have pointed out, Anne's survival is very crucial for the later episodes (that is, if they adapt the manga as they are now, which they most likely will)

Although I kind of agree with the monologing in this episode being pointless.

Todd_ said:

I thought that what the writer was trying to communicate with the priest's rambling was very clear: the priest's idea of love, is caring for everybody's life; not willing to kill anyone.
Not in cold blood like that

Mod Edit: Modified quote of edited post.
DeadlyRavenOct 17, 2019 1:10 PM
Oct 13, 2019 7:30 PM
Feb 2019
Napok said:
This episode is perfect in every way possible.
I agree, and I'm loving the way the story is going
Oct 13, 2019 7:37 PM

Jan 2011
when this first started i seriously didn't think we'd be following Askeladd and his gang this whole time still we've seen the monstrous acts they've done vikings be vikings but it was fine because i felt like at some point soon they were gonna meet their end....still waiting

it's so hard to care for a group of merciless murderers and we had a whole episode dedicated to drive that point even further

while pointless i'm at least glad the priest tried to save them hell i thought the prince and his guard dude forgot his name wouldn't actually let such a massacre happen but nope!
Oct 13, 2019 7:54 PM

Feb 2019
Kira70 said:
mainavi said:

Well, if he let those villagers live one might escape and report his group not to mention he needs to feed them. Askeladd has been cruel from the start, the more now cuz he has a goal.
Oct 13, 2019 8:07 PM

Jan 2019
I love how this episode used a passage from the Book of Lamentations as an intermission card. It used a very suitable one as well:
Lamentations 5:22, "But thou hast utterly rejected us; thou art very wroth against us."
English standard: "unless you have utterly rejected us, and you remain exceedingly angry with us."
Oct 13, 2019 8:12 PM

Sep 2017
What a fucking brutal episode. I wanna say Askeladd is a heartless psychopath, but his men won't survive if they don't have food either. If he leaves them they'll die in the winter anyway. Even if he only takes half the food it probably isn't enough for his men. Sure if he really wasn't a dick he could take some food and ask the villagers to point them in a direction of another town or something... Still.
Oct 13, 2019 8:32 PM
Feb 2016
Neji said:
Another shit episode. Characters that we don't care about, violence that we have seen countless times already. All of the people who comment on realism, how many burned villages we have seen already? What the hell you think that dane invasion is anyway. Everyone knows that innocent die, so what was the purpose of this episode. Also those two brothers didn't know why Thor died or who he was? That is idiotic, this show is going down the drain, but fanboys are too blind to see it.

P.S. Also can people please stop going crazy about background and such, yes we got it it looks good, but how many episodes are we going to discuss it.

Why not Tanjiro kills Muzan straight away, cut the bullshit like introduce new demon, new character?
Oct 13, 2019 8:42 PM

Jan 2013
2/5. It was a good episode until they started killing civilians. I don't like watching innocent people get killed.
Oct 13, 2019 8:50 PM
Aug 2019
Kira70 said:

AbsurdistOtaku said:

Not in cold blood like that

"In cold blood" alludes to murder carried out in a calculated, deliberate, unfeeling, and/or ruthless manner, as opposed to murder carried out hot in passion or in the heat of emotion.

Episode 5.
Askeladd & crew get off boats.
Bjorn: "Whose going to watch the boats?"
Askeladd: "We won't be here long. We're just going to rest our bones."
Before relaxing, they snipe the outskirts of a village to prevent escape, drag women & children out homes, massacre everyone, & pillage the place. In morning we see branches of hanged individuals, mass graves, and a desolate village.

LOL. Seeing murder as behavior that can be a part of "resting your bones" is about as "cold blooded" as you can get.
najumobiOct 13, 2019 8:56 PM
Oct 13, 2019 9:05 PM

Mar 2019
This episode....

Was completely about the life....

And the true form of it...
Nyan-Pasu!... [ Ara Ara ] [ Waifus ]
Oct 13, 2019 9:07 PM
Apr 2018
The background art never disappoint.

That was a brutal episode. My heart became heavy after watching the episode. Man...
Oct 13, 2019 9:39 PM

Oct 2017
A really impactful episode, felt bad for Anne. Poor girl saw the whole village people killed before her eyes.
Oct 14, 2019 12:22 AM

Mar 2019
Fucking great episode. Glad they didn't rush through these chapters. In particular, I really love the family dinner scene. Giving us a glimpse into their family life made their deaths feel even worse. They weren't just some random faceless villagers. Beautiful looking episode too.

Dariat said:
I don't really get the purpose of this episode. We all know that vikings do bad stuff, we've seen it the show plenty of times already. Did they really need to do a whole episode about this?

Yes. What is it with people on this site and their lack of patience? Their inability to understand simple story and character development? We know people did bad things... Okay, and? We've just had I don't know how many episodes where this mercenary band has done nothing particularly bad of note. They rescued Canute and have been shown trying to evade Thorkell and his men. All the while, we've been given several comedic scenes almost making these mercs seem like a bunch of regular guys. This episode brought us back to the reality and reminded us of who they are. And it reminded us again of who their victims were.

Anyway, this is building to something. Something incredible. What's to come wouldn't be anywhere near as gratifying if this was rushed into without laying the groundwork needed to make the upcoming moments worthwhile. And that's becoming even more clearer to me now that I'm watching this material animated. I appreciate it now even more than before, and I think once those moments come people will come to appreciate this all too.
Oct 14, 2019 1:15 AM

Aug 2017
Huh and we just finished volume 4.

Man things are gonna get even more intense.
I used to be a watchmaker.
Oct 14, 2019 1:29 AM
Jan 2019
compared this episode to other action movies were full of brutally murdered innocent people the one without the story of those victims How do you feel?
the way they tell the story is more lot better than other parts of the world (I guess
so, but I believe there is a movie like this how they empathize with those innocent people) they kill because they have a reason they do because they believe so

one of the best episode I like
I feel sorry for the priest and the villagers
Oct 14, 2019 2:47 AM

Feb 2019
Fuck asekladd fr fr. Piece of shit. Also, damn how the fuck did I miss Thorkell being a Christian, it was so obvious. This episode left me so angry man I’m not gonna lie
Oct 14, 2019 3:04 AM
Dec 2018
Askelad did nothing wrong
Oct 14, 2019 3:05 AM

Jan 2012
That was truly difficult to watch. It really just makes you think how lucky we are to be born and live easily at this time. The dark times were really sad.
Oct 14, 2019 3:08 AM

Apr 2018
Well, shit things got real for a sec. That massacre though. Poor people
Oct 14, 2019 3:10 AM
Oct 2007
WOWOWOW! My eyes are stuck to the screen and butt glued to the chair. This episode is just just so beautifully done. The execution is on point no doubt. Makes me think about Joker movie again which I watched a few days ago. It's not surprising to see the slaughter by the way. That's what the Danes have been doing countless of times.
Oct 14, 2019 3:18 AM
Apr 2016
YuyoGzm said:
This episode....

Was completely about the life....

And the true form of it...

I do not usually say it, but I was mentally harassed by the edge of this volume.

yvanedisco said:
The background art never disappoint.

That was a brutal episode. My heart became heavy after watching the episode. Man...

And I was like,"HUH I knew this was going to happen".

Mod Edit: Removed baiting.
MonkeyDHunterOct 14, 2019 5:53 AM
Re:formed
Pages (8) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» English Sub or Dub?

Benassiesto - May 11

25 by Quv »»
May 12, 4:37 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

800 by viking-Captain »»
May 10, 9:26 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 20, 2019

259 by bronzeagesungod »»
May 9, 5:10 AM

» Vinland Saga has an amazing plot... ( 1 2 )

Sanjay63773 - Feb 21

55 by peterross »»
May 9, 12:24 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 6, 2019

404 by bronzeagesungod »»
May 6, 4:44 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.