Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Chihayafuru
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Oct 23, 2019 8:16 AM

Mar 2018
Wooo Finally!! Oh how much I longed for this xd
The first few minutes had me scared, thought it's gonna be a whole recap for ep 1.

I don't really like the opening tbh.. And the end was really abrupt. But overall a good episode ^^
Nishida working on his romance I see. And Kanade still playing the support role for TaichixChihaya. Was little screentime but still cool to see the others

Liked the chemistry between Chihaya and Rion
Chihaya also got some new advices for achieving her goal. And Taichi won the match.. I kind of believe that he is actually better than Chihaya for now? Just from this episode.. got that kind of feeling

“I don’t like expending more effort than I have to.” – Ayanokouji Kiyotaka
Oct 23, 2019 8:19 AM

Nov 2013
janiwolf said:
Yayy! Chihayafuru is back. I'm glad this episode wasn't a full recap & the story actually continued.

I was quite fearful it's gonna be recap/flashback from the first 5 minutes or so. Glad it didn't. the anime still use the same style and soundtracks, which is a good thing.
I'm too weird to live but much too rare to die.

Oct 23, 2019 8:28 AM

Nov 2007
K1ngOfSloth said:
And Taichi won the match.. I kind of believe that he is actually better than Chihaya for now? Just from this episode.. got that kind of feeling

Not really. Just a reminder that Chihaya was using her left hand.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Oct 23, 2019 10:34 AM

May 2009
It felt incredibly rushed. I kind of hope the pacing will get less rushed after this.
I really freakin love this anime and have missed it so much.
Can't believe there's actually this season <3 <3
check out my twitch: https://twitch.tv/slowy
Oct 23, 2019 10:37 AM
Apr 2013
Except for the training nothing new. When you're still in the story and reading the manga up to date, this episode isn't really worth watching except for the still amazing animations. Hoping to see more next episode though.
Oct 23, 2019 11:07 AM

Aug 2017
Woah, Chihayafuru is back and what a nice start! It already feels like coming home. The story starts where the second seasons stopped, and it was easy to dive right back into the world of karuta. So, Chihaya is at a tough training camp. Her first match went really well which was good to see because she had a hand surgery in the last season (if I remember correctly). Her next match will be against Taichi. I wonder if he got any better. I can't for next week!
Oct 23, 2019 11:44 AM

Sep 2015
This episode reminds me of the struggle to get used to the "Main characters with ultra detailed design while others look like potato". Probably need a couple more episodes to get used to it again.
Truth is absolute but human perception of truth is always relative.
Oct 23, 2019 11:54 AM

Sep 2017
Pretty good. But it has me worried about the pacing. It seems that they want to go very very fast.
Oct 23, 2019 12:10 PM

Mar 2018
shanimebib said:
K1ngOfSloth said:
And Taichi won the match.. I kind of believe that he is actually better than Chihaya for now? Just from this episode.. got that kind of feeling

Not really. Just a reminder that Chihaya was using her left hand.
I know she did. I also said just by feeling from this episode. Like how Chihaya said "she almost always wins against Taichi" and Retro replies with how she doesn't seem to know him when he's playing his best (not around Chihaya)
Doesn't mean that he is better than her

“I don’t like expending more effort than I have to.” – Ayanokouji Kiyotaka
Oct 23, 2019 12:43 PM

Feb 2008
Ah, the elusive Chihayafuru card, I long for thee. As if the years in between were a mere moment.

I hope something goes Taichi's way. His transformation is to my liking, but it must take quite a toll. That guy deserves precious moments of solace.
Oct 23, 2019 2:16 PM

May 2016
Missed Chihaya so much, when I heard the new season will be delayed, it really
felt bad, but at least they gave 24 episodes.
FMmatron said:
The whole atmosphere of this series is as beautiful as ever and I fell in love all over again, fantastic start. Already listened to the new opening song before, but it was even better with visuals from the previous seasons.

And lol, Chihaya still too adorable

Pretty much the same.

So much looking forward to the upcoming highlights of this season
Oct 23, 2019 2:19 PM
Sep 2014
I am glad that this anime finally have returned back but the quality and pace give me the creeps. The same train scene twice and weird voice of new Fujisaki president... Come on, does he really sounds as 17 years old? And the pace is too fast too. I hope it will be better. However, this is the Anime of the Year for me.
Oct 23, 2019 5:14 PM

Dec 2011
I can't believe 6 years flew by just like that, like there was never a gap in the first place.

Everything is as beautiful as ever, especially the nostalgia trip when main theme hit aaa
Oct 23, 2019 7:33 PM

Nov 2007
eryn-chan said:
Woah, Chihayafuru is back and what a nice start! It already feels like coming home. The story starts where the second seasons stopped, and it was easy to dive right back into the world of karuta. So, Chihaya is at a tough training camp. Her first match went really well which was good to see because she had a hand surgery in the last season (if I remember correctly). Her next match will be against Taichi. I wonder if he got any better. I can't for next week!

Silly. Unless you have missed it, the match happened off screen and Chihaya lost to Taichi and they returned from the training camp. :D
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Oct 23, 2019 8:31 PM
May 2017
I haven't been this excited for a new season of an Anime in a long time....It exceeded all of my expectations. Love this show! <3
Oct 23, 2019 10:46 PM

Jul 2009
I've been waiting so long for this show to come back and it's even gotten me back here on MAL. What can I say? I've forgotten how much I loved it! I read ahead in the manga a while back but it's been a while, so while I remember some of the big pieces I'm sure I'll be able to appreciate this all as a first time viewer as well. Lots of great things in this episode - most notably the Coach's and Retro's advice and comments to Chihaya. Man, kinda sad they skipped her playing Taichi though :( Cute shot at the end there. My heart goes out to you Taichi ... you remain one of my favourite characters!!! Good OP as well, but noticed it seemed like they were just reusing a lot of old shots - I wonder if they'll put in some new graphics along with the ED next episode. Either way, super glad this is back!!!
Oct 23, 2019 10:58 PM
Jul 2018
And here it is, the anime of the season. The first episode was good, we got a recap before the opening, which was beautiful as always with this series, and after that we got the beginning of the training camp arc.
Watching this episode hit me hard on the feels and the reason for that was the fact that Harada-sensei isn't voiced by Unshou Ishizuka anymore. His voice was perfect for this character, it's a damn shame we can't hear it anymore not only in this anime but in others as well. I know it's already been a year since he died, but still...
Oct 24, 2019 2:56 AM

Mar 2018
This was an okay episode. Loved the recap at the beginning. Too bad it also felt a bit rushed, especially the ending. I am glad Chihayafuru is back though!
Oct 24, 2019 2:57 AM

Mar 2018
shanimebib said:
eryn-chan said:

Silly. Unless you have missed it, the match happened off screen and Chihaya lost to Taichi and they returned from the training camp. :D

It's not silly. The ending was pretty rushed and cut off too, so that match was easily missed. ;)
Oct 24, 2019 6:44 AM
Jan 2018
I'm genuinely surprised that Madhouse didn't botch this like they've done with everything else recently. I guess I can be excited for a Madhouse production for once.
Oct 24, 2019 1:10 PM

Aug 2012
Heavy undertones already, as it should be. Boy is this gonna be a wild ride.
Oct 24, 2019 7:27 PM

Sep 2017
Beginning was kinda random, but it was nice to get the rules refreshed. This was a good start picking up literally the moment we left off season two. I forgot how much of a cute goofball Chihaya is. Also idk if this was just me but the opening felt a bit incoherent in terms of visuals.
Oct 24, 2019 10:42 PM

Oct 2012
It's have been 6 years, I don't really remember what's the story from the anime
I just remember the manga and I know there will be lot of crying :(
Can't wait for that xD

I feel like the pacing is really rushed, not complaining though
I want to see Queen & King's matches soon xD
"Signature removed"
Oct 25, 2019 5:06 AM

Mar 2011
been waiting forever. I miss them so much!!

Sailing my Chihaya x Taichi ship all the way xD
Oct 25, 2019 12:38 PM

Mar 2012
Man, I can't believe some of you had to wait 6+ years for this to continue! I blazed through season 1 and 2 this past month and that wait would have been excruciating for me. Hyped to be caught up now though!
Oct 25, 2019 1:13 PM
Case is closed!

Jan 2019
Episode 1 is great! And, thank you for reminding us about the rule of Karuta. I always follow Taichi!!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 25, 2019 6:24 PM

Oct 2017
So, a new season.
I recently met this show and I was totally in love with the way it was managed this story and of course the Karuta.
When I started to heard the main verse that they entone at begenning of the game was so touching and I get emotioned.
Hope an a increase power up in the habilities of Chihaya.
-¡Give yourself to me!
Oct 26, 2019 1:43 AM

Nov 2011
This anime is still beautiful as ever.
I was a little hurt inside when it's getting clearer that Chihaya has a crush on Arata.
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Oct 26, 2019 10:08 AM

Oct 2009
I missed this anime so much ;;
Oct 26, 2019 4:20 PM

Nov 2013
damn it's been some time, opening really feels like a song from the past
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Oct 26, 2019 6:42 PM

Jan 2008
Man, am I ever super happy to see the continuation of this series, and highlighting their middle school years gap that was never animated before, even if it was for just a bit. I especially liked the simplified refresher animation of how the game was played. And it was nice seeing Sakurazawa Midori again, one my favorite characters...even Chihaya can't help but heart-throb at her.

Noticed Dr Harada sounded totally different, then read that his old voice actor passed away last year, famous for voicing so many iconic characters in many great series. Rest in peace, Unshou Ishizuka.

No ending theme for the first episode... A Little disappointed that Seto Asami isn't going to be singing for the ED like she did for the previous two seasons.
Estoy_GordoOct 26, 2019 6:47 PM
Oct 27, 2019 7:40 AM

Nov 2018
Nice to see this show back, good episode.
Oct 29, 2019 11:15 AM

Jul 2009
Team TAICHI~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Oct 30, 2019 2:29 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
_MushiRock11_ said:
Solid start! Right here’s my AOTS, so glad to see this back honestly ~

It’s amazing how casual and natural this episode felt in relation to the previous seasons despite the long gap. Mad props to MadHouse for this, and the improvement in the animation while retaining the original artstyle is a real treat! Here’s to hoping they’ll manage to retain it through the whole season.

Chihaya is back and is as obsessed as ever but it was pleasing to see some more of her cute side (love talk, that kawaii onigiri eating and pouts in response to Tachi’s victory scenes in particular ), good to see lol. Meanwhile, the other characters have their special charms and quirks in check too so that’s another great feature to see! What really makes this series standout for me is the Character Progressions and we’re already off to a wonderful start in that Department, hyped for what’s to come next!

Also, really glad to see some real focus on Taichi too! I can’t wait for an official match between the two now! Damn, that was some intensive training though I’ve to say. I had a feeling the Fujisaki Coach was a great player in her time but jeez five times runners up is pretty mind blowing. Looks like she’s got the right advices up her sleeves too, Rion will most certainly become one of the most fearsome rival over time. Lol, I find it hilarious how dense she is when it comes to Romance as well though.

No Arata this episode but I’ve a feeling last episode’s final moments assures that he’ll have a bigger role this season. While I’m rooting for Taichi’s ship to sail, I want the three of them to reunite and spend more time together so here’s to hoping we get some more of that.

Can’t wait for more! Next couple of weeks with a couple episodes each is seriously a blessing.

"Want to go to the beach or something", lmfao!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Nov 1, 2019 12:50 PM
Oct 2007
One of the best series that have graced the anime scene even from way back then have return! Can't wait to watch more. First episode feels very nostalgic!!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 1, 2019 10:23 PM

Aug 2014
I was actually impressed by that recap sequence; felt poetic.

I now wish all future recap episodes ever to be in that style. (won't happen though lol)
Nov 2, 2019 11:59 PM

Dec 2014
really liked how the season started with all the beginnings...the feels...so glad it is back
Nov 4, 2019 12:40 AM

Jun 2015
It's finally here... I thought there won't be any anime adaptation anymore. As much as I'm grateful, but please don't rush the pace too much.
Nov 4, 2019 5:48 AM

Jun 2016
bruhh .. i cant wait anymore for next episode ..
Chiaya vs Ex Queen 6
Nov 10, 2019 3:06 PM
May 2012
Ahhh...it has been 6 years. I really missed this Anime. Perfect timing to air season 3.
STILL TEAM TAICHI!!!
Nov 17, 2019 5:55 PM

Apr 2014
can't believe it's been so many years since the last season came out. i honestly do not even remember what happened in previous seasons but hopefully i'll be able to keep up haha
Nov 26, 2019 8:37 AM

Oct 2013
Cool start. Chihaya was cute as always, Hyoro was even more awkward than usual. ;D I didn't expect Rion to be addicted to rice, lol.

Sakurazawa-sensei is a beautiful and tough coach, but surely she knows what to do in order to improve a player's skills.

I started watching this series a while ago, but I see there has been 6 years since Season 2 ended, so in other words there was a 6 years long break between Season 2 and 3. I'm glad this anime's unique atmosphere, music and art style, present in the previous episodes, were preserved.

I'm curious how the story is gonna evolve from now on. I'm glad this episode was not a recap, but had a brief, several minutes long reminder about what happened earlier. Everything in dynamic and pleasant to an eye form.
Jan 26, 2020 7:35 AM
Jun 2013
From episode 1 all the way to season 3 and i still cannot stand Taichi. I don't like anything about him, honestly. I wanna see more Arata, though.
Apr 4, 2020 6:10 PM

Apr 2016
It looks like the 1 minute long opening tradition is still being continued. The flashbacks at the beginning were kinda stupid but the rest of the episode was amazing. The animation and the art strikingly resemble Chihayafuru 2 as well and it's been what, around 7 years since it aired? Very impressive.

Lol @ everyone's faces when Sakurazawa gave Chihaya special treatment.

Overall a great start! Looking forward to seeing what these two cours have to offer.
May 4, 2020 12:01 PM
Feb 2016
Kind of of boring episode. There doesn't really seem to be much disscusion going on the forums anymore. Not suprising that it took 6 years for a third instalment of Chihayafuru,which means that a lot of people just forgot about it.

Anyways,they did address that Taichi playes a lot better when chihaya isn't around,but it's then contradicted by the coach saying that chihaya is the only one to give him the final push ? Wondering how this is going to play out.

Don't really know why the coach telling her to keep a proper posture was supposed to be a breath taking moment. This was already mentioned in season 1 and 2 with the kimonos and Oe San wearing a wooden support in order to keep her back straight.

They never really showed who won which is odd and I'm wondering how the pink haired chick is able to become better when she's borderline autistic about the card reader and gets thrown off when her opponent gets injured.
Aug 30, 2020 6:43 AM
🔥🔥🔥

Jan 2020
That episode gave me serious whiplash. I like Chihayafuru a lot but that just did not feel like a first episode even if it is the third season. I dunno, I just expected something a little more like them practicising in the club room or at least some sort of scene with them talking about going to the training camp. It just launched right into it and the whole vibe of this episode felt kinda frantic.

Not a great first episode, it was fine. Hope this season ends up being as good as the previous two.

🔥 🔥 🔥 . 阿良々木 暦, 傷 物 語 . 🔥 🔥 🔥
Build a man a fire and you'll warm him for a night
but set a man on fire and you'll warm him
for the rest of his life...
- H E N D Y -
Nov 16, 2020 12:21 PM
Jan 2017
It is weird that this show gives us karuta explanation in the 3rd season which was probably more needed in 1st season when no one had any idea about what this sport was.Now when all viewers at this stage already know the rules.This show provides explanation to it.

It looks like thanks to highly intense S2 this episode suddenly felt a bit slow.It is just start of S3 so show will take some eps to reach tournament matches I guess.

Otherwise it was a very good episode as usual.It is kind of hard to believe that there was 6 yr gap between S2 and S3. The show just rolled over quite smoothly from one season to another despite such long break.This is quite incredible to see.
Mar 25, 2021 1:38 AM

Aug 2018
And now the 3rd season, let's see what will happen now, very good chapter, things will be interesting.
The opening is very good and good detail that they have put scenes of the 1st and 2nd season as a summary.
Apr 16, 2021 11:49 AM

Aug 2015
Taichi is much more talented than we might think. I'm looking forward to seeing his potential show itself.

Of course, I can't wait for Chihaya's hand to heal so we can see her true level.
May 4, 2021 12:17 AM
scientia exitus

Mar 2020
I’m just sitting here trying to imagine how surreal it must have been for the fans to finally be watching the continuation to this story that they’ve been waiting 6 years for; and having it meet beyond their expectations. Sure the whole series is highly acclaimed as a whole, but if this first episode is any indication, I think I’m in for one hell of a treat of a final season.

NYANPASU
5700XT

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Chihayafuru 3 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Oct 29, 2019

78 by fathandz »»
Jun 1, 10:44 PM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 3 Episode 2 Discussion

Stark700 - Oct 29, 2019

46 by fathandz »»
May 31, 9:35 AM

» If you want to continue with the manga after watching

NiQ1 - Feb 21, 2023

22 by mythical_k »»
May 27, 1:36 PM

» Chihayafuru 4

Kaguyachinchin - Nov 21, 2020

5 by Knighthammer619 »»
Mar 17, 9:43 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 3 Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2020

148 by tozeos »»
Jan 9, 6:03 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.