Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Jan 6, 2015 1:14 PM

Mar 2012
ninjastarforcex said:
i dont know this ikuhara guy but it seems he is too overrated for all of shit he made in the past
Have you seen Penguindrum and Utena? They don't appear to be on your list.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jan 6, 2015 1:33 PM

Oct 2013
DejWoSWK said:
How similar/different is this compared to Mawaru Penguindram?
I am kind of mesmerized by how...different and twisted it is,in it's own way.

i havent watched yuri kuma yet (going to watch it tonight) but I did watch penguindrum ~2 weeks ago. it is a flatout masterpiece imo. i was so pumped to see ikuhara had a new show starting in a few weeks after i finished penguindrum.

the one thing i will say about penguindrum (for new viewers) is get past the first 5 or so episodes. these ep's are setting up the characters and setting, and preparing you for the dark and twisted things to come. the show is so much more then what it appears at first, don't judge it by the beginning.
Jan 6, 2015 1:36 PM

Feb 2010
Of course it's retarded, it's from Ikahura.

And, like sakura trick, another "yuri" anime that gives a bad impression about the genre.
Jan 6, 2015 1:45 PM

Oct 2010
Is every yuri anime this trippy? Feels like Cat Soup, but Bear Soup instead.
Jan 6, 2015 1:51 PM
Aug 2012
I am confuse.
Jan 6, 2015 2:02 PM

Jun 2014
just a weird yuri show

Jan 6, 2015 2:03 PM

Jun 2013
Confusing. Especially the last 10 minutes or so. I had no idea what was going on in the end.
Too much gao gao.
The op was good. The song I mean.
I might give it another episode or two.
Jan 6, 2015 2:23 PM

Dec 2009
KUMA SHOCK!

Okay, seriously... I've never been left speechless by a show before. I have no clue how to respond to this. Brilliant.

I think i'm gonna be addicted to this absurdity.

Only japan would make something clever yet so over the top, and so sexual.
GenesisAriaJan 6, 2015 2:48 PM
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Jan 6, 2015 2:39 PM

Oct 2011
I'm not entirely sure how to feel about this. It was very interesting. I kind of really like it but I'm also really confused.

Give it a few more episodes and I'll probably love it.
Jan 6, 2015 2:47 PM

Jun 2014
I really liked this and really can't wait to see more. I really liked how the show was handled and enjoyed mostly everything, except the characters maybe.
Jan 6, 2015 2:49 PM

Dec 2009
Why are people complaining about the characters? There's like zero development yet, patience.
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Jan 6, 2015 3:22 PM

Oct 2010
People think this episode was 5/5? Really? Be more honest with yourselves, or actual think about it more. Telling a story and throwing it into tiny bits and pieces and symbolism/ metaphors doesn't make something good. A lot of people seem to be blinded by metaphors and symbolism and think they automatically make things amazing. I'll give it 3 more episodes to get better but right now it's pretty messy.
KougeruJan 6, 2015 3:28 PM
Jan 6, 2015 3:36 PM

Mar 2012
Kougeru said:
People think this episode was 5/5? Really? Be more honest with yourselves, or actual think about it more. Telling a story and throwing it into tiny bits and pieces and symbolism/ metaphors doesn't make something good. A lot of people seem to be blinded by metaphors and symbolism and think they automatically make things amazing. I'll give it 3 more episodes to get better but right now it's pretty messy.
Correct, symbolism doesn't automatically make a show deep.

But contrary to popular belief and what you seem to think, trippy visuals don't automatically make a show pretentious and shallow either.
Jan 6, 2015 4:25 PM
May 2014
SeibaaHomu said:
Kougeru said:
Correct, symbolism doesn't automatically make a show deep.

But contrary to popular belief and what you seem to think, trippy visuals don't automatically make a show pretentious and shallow either.

True, but I think that for this series it's almost a requirement that the viewer is on something I'm not.
But then again, I couldn't handle more than a couple of episodes of penguindrum. That was was too...something.

I don't mind silliness, but plain wtf's is a whole different matter.
konatachan80Jan 6, 2015 4:40 PM
Have faith in the Lord Fifth, gain eternal life! When the Lord Fifth appears, who dares to cause strife!
-- Lord fifth
Jan 6, 2015 4:38 PM

Mar 2013
What.. ?

That was, hum, interesting... Let's give it a few more episode to see how it goes.
Jan 6, 2015 4:49 PM

Jan 2012
bastek66 said:
Did she die?

How couldnt i love it? Instant 10/10 :o
Based Ikuhara :o

Just disappointed its apparently 1 cour :/
sanleiJan 6, 2015 4:53 PM
Jan 6, 2015 4:57 PM
Nov 2013
KLRG said:
Am I the only one who starts interpreting the crap out of this? It's Ikuhara after all!

You can really tell that this has only one season, because it's starts right from the beginning on the metaphoric insanity-level that Utena and Penguindrum only achieved at the end. But in spite of that ... Both Utena and Penguindrum had very strong clues in the first episode ...

My bet is the theme sexual revolution so far ... but let's break that down:

Honey licking:
Like people pointed out before ... The innuendo is strong with this one ...

The Asteroid Kumaria:
I found out that this seems to be a name from the Indian language that means daugher. Not sure what this might have to do with everything but hey ... If there is one place of magical crazyness in Utena aside from Ohtori Academy it's India! *Curry Curry Curry*

The Wall of Extinction:
Aside from being a parody on AoT this seems to be an really important metaphoric devise. From all the things we have seen so far the bears are not bigger than a terrier. But the wall is huge and with all the tower cranes in the background it looks like this thing grows each day. This is not a physical wall against small little pet bears but metaphor about suppression.

The Flowers:
I'm ashamed to not know exactly what the name and meaning of these flowers is (My botany-skill is embarrassing ...). But there might be something in the sense flower - deflowering or similar that works in the japanese language. Would be great if somebody has more information about that ... And there is of course nectar ... nectar -> honey ... you get the point ...
Edit:
-> Now that I read some of the comments again I found out that it's really just a white lily (like i said ... botany-skill: -95 >.<) ... And looked for the meaning of it and found this here:
LILY, WHITE: Purity, modesty, virginity, majesty, it's heavenly to be with you. The white lily is linked to Juno, the queen of the gods in Roman mythology, by the story that while nursing her son Hercules, some excess milk fell from the sky creating the group of stars we call the Milky Way, and lilies were created from what milk fell to the earth. The Easter lily is also known as the symbol of the Virgin Mary.
-> This might work together with this strange asteroid ...

Love is forbidden?
When the two girls meet by the flowers they talk about not doing something wrong. I guess they are in love with each other but keep this secret or don't want to admit it.
So when they finally sit together on the roof with the bench and "eat with each other" this gets to a point where a certain something notice them.
That's when the flowers get cut as warning (you know ... "deflowering" if this kind of wordplay works in japanese) ...
And if you keep in mind that penguindrum get to a level where the whole end was metaphoric non-physical and THIS show starts right on this level ... By all the things I know they might have physical orgys ... It's Ikuhara after all ...
So this something that is called the "invisible storm" reacts when the two girls fall in love with each other (or did more ... I mean ... there was honey on these shared meal after all) ... And this invisible storm keeps away girls who fall in love with each other ... not the bears ... ... ...
... The cannabalistic stuff aside ... the bears look like they're the good ones ... aside from perhaps deadly eating habits ...

The bears
I found a side about the bear as a spiritual animal and it boils down to:
- Strength & Confidence
- Standing against adversity
- Taking Action and leaderships
- Also an emphasize on healing
And not to forget ... they like honey.
We have to see Episode 2 to confirm that but I guess that when they deflowered her they might have become something like her spiritual animals? And they finally made her a lesbian too ...

Court & Sequence:
If this uses the typical Ikuhara-fomular there might be a sequence like that in every episode. With the crazy court keeping the balance and the two bear-girls turning other girls into lesbians or not.
It's interesting to mention that this scene happens on the roof. One point that is higher than the wall of extinction. I bet this will become a running theme in terms of freedom (the stairs up there had also this handrail with the birds).
And I guess the story will continue with the theme of suppression vs. freedom ...

... By the way ... Are there any men in this world? Due to the fact that it's Ikuhara they might just be too unimportant for the story to draw them ... But I guess this might be a hint for an women-only-society ... ... ... We'll see ...

... My bet is on the sexual revolution as a theme but it's Ikuhara ... May be he just has fun trolling fanservice and really want a breastshaped mousepad with one of his own characters ... You never know ...

Glad I read this post after a rewatch of the first episode, I think I understand it a bit more now. But man that was pretty insane. I don't how I feel about it but this is too weird not to watch. I haven't seen Utena or Mawaru Penguindrum so I don't how this compares to those, but I'll keep watching for now since it's pretty interesting. Very Shaft like so far.
Jan 6, 2015 5:23 PM

Aug 2009
There rarely are men in yuri animes and women in yaoi animes so I tend not to think too deeply about it.

I was a little 'wait what wtf' on the anime but I didn't feel particularly confused about it? maybe because I love mindfucks and I just go with the flow :D
i don't like the shorthaired girl that got eaten though, too madoka-like for me, gets on my nervers :"(

WHATEVER THOUGH, THE BACKGROUNDS' COLORS GO SO WELL TOGETHER and the composition is also spot on
Jan 6, 2015 5:25 PM

Dec 2012
I don't know what that was. But I found it boring and all over the place :P
Jan 6, 2015 5:42 PM

Jan 2013
What the hell did I just watch? The subs I watched were hilarious,
and so lewd...oh well 3-ep rule.
music was nice though,
OSOI!
Jan 6, 2015 6:06 PM

Apr 2010
So I watched this yesterday, it's nowhere near as much of a mess as a lot of people said. Random? Yeah, but it's not like it's Cuticle Tantei Inaba random. Will definitely keep watching this, gave me a Penguindrum kinda feel and I loved that anime. Though this definitely won't be as good, as long as it keeps me relatively entertained I'm happy. Better than a shitty generic harem series.
Jan 6, 2015 6:09 PM

Dec 2007
It is way too early for me to take a stab at the symbolism in this show, but wow, Ikuhara never fails to disappoint. Consistently delivering some of the most bizarre stuff I have ever seen in a consistently entertaining form.

Love the bear court. Love Ikuhara. Growl Growl!
Jan 6, 2015 6:33 PM

Aug 2014
Hmmm I appreciate that this series is trying to be unconventional and artsy and whatnot... but there is no rhyme or reason to anything and nothing gets explained. Also since when are bears the size of small dogs? Honestly FLCL episode one made more sense than this episode did. This series just feels like its trying too hard to be weird at the expense of the storytelling, weird can be a lot of fun but not if the audince is saying "WTF is happening" every five minutes. My prediction is that the ending will be confusing as hell, especially if we don't start getting more info in the next episodes. And to be honest nothing about this episode jumped out at me as interesting, nothing was there that made want to keep coming back. The only thing this episode did right were the yuri relationships, and if yuri relationships are a focal point then it is basically necessary to have an easily understood world, so we can spend more time delving into the relationships. Obviously this show has other thoughts on the matter. I might watch another episode to see if it improves but my gut reaction is a pass on this series.
https://twitter.com/LightningDash02
OTPs || MyAnimeList || MyMangaList || Favorite Guys || Favorite Girls || Favorite Anime

~LightningXDash02
Jan 6, 2015 6:34 PM

Jun 2013
Holy Shit! That was Fucked up! That was not what i was expecting.
Jan 6, 2015 6:49 PM

Jun 2009
Paulo27 said:
Personally? It's trying too hard with this yuri stuff, way too fucking hard, I can already tell you this would be a lot better without it, I still enjoy it whatever, nice music, OP and ED are pretty amazing.

How can you possibly say how important the yuri is or not? It's one freaking episode.

As far as the episode, I really don't have much to say. I'll just wait and see how things turn out, I suppose. I don't think it had as strong a first episode as Penguindrum, though.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jan 6, 2015 6:50 PM
Dec 2014
Classic Ikuhara. Hyped for whatever that follows.

Loved the surrealism in this.
Jan 6, 2015 7:06 PM

Jan 2013
It has some nice style.
Jan 6, 2015 7:10 PM

Aug 2013
Well I watched the first episode of Lesbian Bear Storm subbed, and I'm still confused as fuck.

The art was good. The only other new show that's on that I started watching was Absolute Duo, and the first episode for this was way better...even though I have no idea what the fuck is going on.

The OP was extremely sexual. Good.

So did the lesbian chick die? Did she not die? What happened to the girl on the roof? Anything or did she pass out? What was the purpose of that bear trial? What is an invisible storm?

Felt like some of the monologues they tried to pull off were attempts to be extremely witty and metaphorical like monogatari, but failed hard. Instead they just left me more confused.

Well that was just the 1st episode. Let's see where the Lesbian Bear Storm continues to take us.
Jan 6, 2015 7:34 PM

Jul 2012
I liked it, it was interesting. The style is pretty cool and having Suwabe Junichi voice Life Sexy makes everything a million times better.

The premise reminds me of Attack on Titan lol.

Getting strong Utena/Mawaru vibes, no surprise. The OP is what you would expect from Mawaru. Same style of music too.
Jan 6, 2015 7:37 PM

Feb 2012
A show about lesbians? With no men? Heaven. Masterpiece. Instant 10/10.
Jan 6, 2015 7:39 PM
May 2014
Kougeru said:

It did a fine job in establishing the setting and characters. What more can you ask for the first episode of a series and only 20 minutes of footage? It's not 5/5 I agree but it wasn't bad either.

Edit:Also people shitting bricks because of the low level symbolism is hilarious.
The anime industry is dead, the otaku fanbase killed it.
Jan 6, 2015 8:22 PM
Dec 2014
Jonesy974 said:
Well I watched the first episode of Lesbian Bear Storm subbed, and I'm still confused as fuck.

The art was good. The only other new show that's on that I started watching was Absolute Duo, and the first episode for this was way better...even though I have no idea what the fuck is going on.

The OP was extremely sexual. Good.

So did the lesbian chick die? Did she not die? What happened to the girl on the roof? Anything or did she pass out? What was the purpose of that bear trial? What is an invisible storm?

Felt like some of the monologues they tried to pull off were attempts to be extremely witty and metaphorical like monogatari, but failed hard. Instead they just left me more confused.

Well that was just the 1st episode. Let's see where the Lesbian Bear Storm continues to take us.

Something you should learn about Ikuhara: never, ever, take anything for granted. He is as straightforward as he is unpredictable. That's what makes his shows so good. The surrealism he uses in both the narrative and the visuals is like that on purpose to get you thinking about it all the time and make up your mind until the next episode, or until it finally ends.
Jan 6, 2015 9:03 PM

Aug 2011
Ugh, god. The subs made this episode so, so, bad. "Everything is gonna be daijobu." What? "Okay" was too hard to sub, apparently.

Anyway, the episode was a phenomenal start, and I really enjoyed the WTF Ikuhara threw at us. Although the part where they're in court was a little too confusing for me.

I'm having a strong feeling Sumika is going to turn out to be a bear, but I hope she doesn't come back for a while. I didn't really like her lol.

But I'm really hoping Ginko and Kureha end up as a couple; I shipped them so hard in the manga and seeing them with other people is a little...

5/5 episode (loving the OP/ED). Can't wait for next week!

Jan 6, 2015 9:04 PM

Jul 2012
Nabris said:
Ugh, god. The subs made this episode so, so, bad. "Everything is gonna be daijobu." What? "Okay" was too hard to sub, apparently.

I agree. I have no idea what the hell the subbers were doing. Seriously.
Jan 6, 2015 9:08 PM

Mar 2013
mayukachan said:
Nabris said:

Apparently it was translated from german by some random person who had no idea what the fuck they were doing.
Jan 6, 2015 9:16 PM

Jul 2013
A yuri anime with lesbian pedobears as mascots?? I'm so fappi-.. watching this!

It's creepy alright but the cunnilingus made up for it not to mention that opening!

PS: seriously people, the bears were obviously eating the human's "honey".. or to put it more crudely their vaginal secretion a.k.a love juice.
MoeGodJan 6, 2015 9:20 PM
Jan 6, 2015 9:27 PM

May 2014
VGFACTCHECKER said:
sshit too deep for me
lesbians / bears
10/10

This is all you need to know.

Yuri/10
Jan 6, 2015 9:39 PM

Aug 2011
fst said:
mayukachan said:

Apparently it was translated from german by some random person who had no idea what the fuck they were doing.

Well.... maybe they should let a person more fluent in English handle this. I don't think I'll be able to go on if the subs stay like this.

Jan 6, 2015 10:07 PM

Dec 2012
Those subs weren't that bad at all, calm your tits. Complaining about free subs, lol.
Jan 6, 2015 10:13 PM

Dec 2012
Perfect ! A Yuri with bears. The beginning was interesting, look forward to watch more.
Jan 6, 2015 10:14 PM

Aug 2011
dunsparcedude said:
Those subs weren't that bad at all, calm your tits. Complaining about free subs, lol.

I'm only complaining about it because bad subs could lead to a misunderstanding in the story.

Jan 6, 2015 10:24 PM

Nov 2012
Nabris said:
dunsparcedude said:

I'm only complaining about it because bad subs could lead to a misunderstanding in the story.

Watch Asenshi. They did a pretty solid job. Or you could wait for funi .
Jan 6, 2015 10:25 PM
Jan 2011
mayukachan said:
Nabris said:

This was a sub made by someone from the kindness of his heart for his friends to watch it as there was no sign of funimation's english release or any other group translating it. He rushed the subs out as quickly as he could because he knew there were people waiting 3 anxious years to see the fruit of Ikuhara's newest work. He posted it in a small corner of the internet, hoping others would enjoy it. He threw in a couple jokes in the subs because he knew his friends would enjoy it. Poor him, because no one else had made a translation, and was the only english sub in existence, every streaming website stole it and uploaded it to their site, and now there are tens of thousands of people complaining about how bad the subs are, because it's all his fault that he didn't make his friends wait another 30 minutes so that he could polish it up even though they wouldn't mind it unpolished.

Not attacking you since it's apparent you didn't know, but yea. Don't take things for granted. You woulda had to wait another 1-2 days if not for that sub. A "quality" sub was released by Asenshi. If you want a more "legit" sub, you can watch that one. Just be happy there are people/streaming websites out there subbing for free and that you don't have to learn Japanese.
YoshiKirishimaJan 6, 2015 10:32 PM
Jan 6, 2015 10:36 PM

Aug 2008
KUMA SHOCK
Jan 6, 2015 10:48 PM
Jun 2014
its like madoka and attack on titan had a baby with shaft like style animation and yuri.
Jan 6, 2015 11:31 PM

Oct 2008
This anime is totally absurd. Especially on scene 20:17-20:21 and made me LOL so hard!

"KUMA SHOCK!"
matias067Jan 6, 2015 11:35 PM

Jan 6, 2015 11:34 PM

Aug 2012
mewtwo21 said:
Nabris said:

Watch Asenshi. They did a pretty solid job. Or you could wait for funi .
Yeah Asenshi was perfectly fine.
Jan 6, 2015 11:52 PM

May 2013
Rewatched it with the Asenshi subs - like night and day, baby. Sure the general gist was gotten across by both, but Asenshi's were just better in every regard. Clever wordplay, better typeset, and overall just more coherent: something that is an absolute must in an Ikuhara show.

Overall impressions have been immensely improved. Very excited to watch the rest of this.
Jan 7, 2015 12:23 AM

Mar 2012
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2015-01-06/funimation-schedules-yurikuma-arashi-absolute-duo-streaming/.82971

Funi still haven't subbed the first episode so I suggest Asenshi for at least the first episode. But on the bright side, the rest of the episodes will be released 3 hours after they air in Japan.

Asenshi's subs are decent but for the rest of the show I'm probably going with Horrible Subs. They're probably going to be out first and I'm not a big fan of the bear puns and some of their translation choices anyway even if the subs are generally okay. Plus I prefer to watch shows with official subs unless it's like Love Live where Crunchyroll released the episodes a whole day after the fansubbers.
SeibaaHomuJan 7, 2015 12:29 AM
Jan 7, 2015 1:10 AM
Oct 2012
What the fuck
Pages (9) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 2, 2015

107 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 16, 2023 9:44 PM

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 19, 2015

140 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 16, 2023 9:14 PM

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 12, 2015

194 by Bing_101010 »»
Sep 16, 2023 8:57 PM

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 26, 2015

167 by sketchy12 »»
Apr 21, 2023 4:26 AM

Poll: » Yuri Kuma Arashi Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 30, 2015

160 by jeraxjerax013 »»
Mar 3, 2023 12:20 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.