Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »
Oct 22, 2019 6:30 PM

Dec 2012
I felt bad for Ragnar, especially since he cares so much about the Prince, to the point of not even getting angry at Askelaad for killing him as long as the Prince is safe.
Oct 22, 2019 8:20 PM

Jan 2014
Another father taken from their kid thanks to Askeladd.
Oct 22, 2019 8:22 PM

Jan 2014
Thebigofan said:
Ok, I watched it on YouTube. I don’t know why it wasn't on prime. I hate askladd so much. He’s ruining my enjoyment of the anime.
I hope the Prince and Thorfinn grow closer and become a couple.

Exactly how I feel! I ship them too.
Oct 22, 2019 10:18 PM

Jul 2016
Ragnar's death by betrayal was visible from miles away yet I liked how it was handled. It almost made me feel bad for him, almost.

Good episode overall. Now, I'm really curious to see how Canute will handle the fact that he will be alone from now on.
Oct 22, 2019 11:27 PM

Apr 2018
Askeladd didn't have to kill cone head. What an asshole
Oct 23, 2019 4:35 AM

Mar 2013
Sure, give me more reasons to hate Askeladd. Keep piling it on.
Oct 23, 2019 7:34 AM

Dec 2018
Brutal man are needed to win war.Leaders needs to take those hard decision without hesitation otherwise all will be lost!

Askeladd are a old fox and understand the art of war: And hes loyalty and love is with hes people and hes tribe. "The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him"

Rangar death was really good .And I think the prince and Thorfinn flirting are kind of cute . But the star here is Askeladd this anime would be trash without him.You go man!! You do what you need to do!! And I will keep cheering for you!!! Easily best episode so far points up 7/10 .Looking forward to the next episode!

Yuri-CrusaderOct 23, 2019 7:37 AM
Oct 23, 2019 12:10 PM

Jun 2017
I literally gasped when I realized they're going to assassinate Ragnar! Askeladd is becoming more heinous as the story progresses! Though there's always a reason behind his acts, I wish one day he'd end up with a terrible death, worthy enough to satisfy me. Although, that might change my mind if indeed he was able to make a man out of Prince Calute.

She got him back. If you understand the characters well enough, you'd know she did!
Oct 23, 2019 1:15 PM

Jul 2014
I don't see the point of this anime. The scenario is well-written, the animation is good and so on so I won't say the show is bad but it is frustrating as hell. Vinland Saga is "Bad guys always win: the anime", it's Berserk without the epic battles, Game of Thrones without likeable characters. It feels too cold, no pun intended.
Oct 23, 2019 6:59 PM
Jul 2018
I knew he was going to die and i din't even read the manga even the new op give it away too bad rest in peace.
Oct 23, 2019 10:45 PM
Oct 2007
Wow.. this is so goood!!! This and the last episodes are masterpiece as standalone. There's quite a bit of reveal on what's coming up next for the show. I think this will equally be enjoyable if adapted as live action.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 23, 2019 11:52 PM
Aug 2019
Johnny-Jay said:
I don't see the point of this anime. The scenario is well-written, the animation is good and so on so I won't say the show is bad but it is frustrating as hell. Vinland Saga is "Bad guys always win: the anime", it's Berserk without the epic battles, Game of Thrones without likeable characters. It feels too cold, no pun intended.

That's definitely intended to be this way. You may have heard already that this season is just a prologue to the main story. You should pity Thorfinn, you should despise Askeladd etc. This is a deliberate setup for payoffs the show is building towards.

For example, some people were saying "this anime is bad because I hate Thorfinn" and it doesn't make sense because Thorfinn is made to be hateable and seem irredeemable, him swinging in completely different direction from what his father would have wanted for him is the ultimate tragedy, but his succumb into revenge is in no way something you should root or cheer for, his growing indifference to suffering of others is not made to make him look badass or edgy, but for you to feel like you are losing Thorfinn and there is no turning point.
Oct 24, 2019 1:44 AM
Mar 2019
Great episode, it shows Ragnar's role on Canute's development to be a weak naive man that is unconventional to any means of being a prince that King Swyen claims. Strong men can make strong decisions with no little suspense in repercussions.
Askeladd really has no hesitation to make decisions to reach his objectives to revive his home country.

Oct 24, 2019 6:38 AM
Nov 2015
nanashi796 said:
askeladd face at the NO was so much better in the manga.
Agreed the anime was still good and manga is a masterpiece when it comes to presentation.
Oct 24, 2019 9:28 AM

Jul 2014
magictuch said:
Johnny-Jay said:

That's definitely intended to be this way. You may have heard already that this season is just a prologue to the main story. You should pity Thorfinn, you should despise Askeladd etc. This is a deliberate setup for payoffs the show is building towards.

For example, some people were saying "this anime is bad because I hate Thorfinn" and it doesn't make sense because Thorfinn is made to be hateable and seem irredeemable, him swinging in completely different direction from what his father would have wanted for him is the ultimate tragedy, but his succumb into revenge is in no way something you should root or cheer for, his growing indifference to suffering of others is not made to make him look badass or edgy, but for you to feel like you are losing Thorfinn and there is no turning point.

I see, well I'm gonna keep watching to find out where all of this leads to.
Oct 25, 2019 7:19 AM
May 2016
man that was depressing. Last week's episode was a masterpiece and this one was still really damn good, the show's been on a roll lately. I really want to pick up the manga when this first season's over, it's gotten really good lately. If it maintains this sort of momentum I'll definitely consider it one of the best shows this year.
Oct 25, 2019 5:01 PM

Jun 2013
Askleadd is so fucking cold but he's still one of my favorites. He's probably my first favorite, not because he's a good guy, but how complex his character is. His history, lineage, etc. The way he denied Ragnar the chance to see Canute one last time.

If I'm not mistaken, in the manga, Ragnar had some last thoughts about how he wanted to raise Canute like a farmer's son but I think they left that out?
臭い-
Oct 25, 2019 8:52 PM

Mar 2012
Jotakak said:
Thebigofan said:
Ok, I watched it on YouTube. I don’t know why it wasn't on prime. I hate askladd so much. He’s ruining my enjoyment of the anime.
I hope the Prince and Thorfinn grow closer and become a couple.

LOL

This kind of nonsense is the reason I didn't want the scene where Thorfinn let a girl get beaten and raped cut from episode 10. Had it been shown, people wouldn't have these misguided hopes of romance or anything decent for that matter regarding Thorfinn right now. The boy is too far gone at this point to even look at anyone in such a way. It's gonna be a long and road before he gets that far and out of his revenge mindset to be a decent human.
Oct 25, 2019 9:22 PM

Jan 2014
MetaKite said:
Jotakak said:

LOL

This kind of nonsense is the reason I didn't want the scene where Thorfinn let a girl get beaten and raped cut from episode 10. Had it been shown, people wouldn't have these misguided hopes of romance or anything decent for that matter regarding Thorfinn right now. The boy is too far gone at this point to even look at anyone in such a way. It's gonna be a long and road before he gets that far and out of his revenge mindset to be a decent human.

I don't really see anything romantic right now, or any time soon nor would I want to but I do hope he can grow close to someone eventually and open his damn eyes. Thorfinn has let a lot of fucked up shit happen and should be held accountable for being a bystander all these years, basically assisting in doing exactly what happened to him.
Oct 25, 2019 9:32 PM

Mar 2012
Jotakak said:
MetaKite said:
LOL

I don't really see anything romantic right now, or any time soon nor would I want to but I do hope he can grow close to someone eventually and open his damn eyes. Thorfinn has let a lot of fucked up shit happen and should be held accountable for being a bystander all these years, basically assisting in doing exactly what happened to him.
Even that thought you have of them to "grow close" is asking a lot from Thorfinn who has no friends nor wants any friends in his current mindset. I think because he's the protagonist people are expecting decent and maybe even good things from him. @Pikslap on here even said they hoped he'd give Canute comfort following Ragnar's death when Canute is just a job for Thorfinn. There is definitely some lack of understanding of the little POS that is Thorfinn at this point in the story. I feel like the anime hasn't done a good job of really communicating that there is no kindness in Thorfinn.
MetaKiteOct 26, 2019 1:18 PM
Oct 25, 2019 9:38 PM

Jan 2014
MetaKite said:
Jotakak said:

Even that thought you have of them to "grow close" is asking a lot from Thorfinn who has no friends nor wants any friends in his current mindset. I think because he's the protagonist people are expecting decent and maybe even good things from him. Someone on here even said they hoped he'd give Canute comfort following Ragnar's death when Canute is just a job for Thorfinn. There is definitely some lack of understanding of the little POS that is Thorfinn at this point in the story. I feel like the anime hasn't done a good job of really communicating that there is no kindness in Thorfinn.

Yeah, I was talking to my sibling about how when the worst fucked up shit is going on, it doesn't show Thorfinn anywhere and you know he's there but it feels like it's trying to distance him from what's going on by not showing his reaction or rather, lack of reaction, to make him easier to redeem later possibly? I find it annoying regardless.
Oct 25, 2019 10:03 PM

Mar 2012
Jotakak said:

Yeah, I was talking to my sibling about how when the worst fucked up shit is going on, it doesn't show Thorfinn anywhere and you know he's there but it feels like it's trying to distance him from what's going on by not showing his reaction or rather, lack of reaction, to make him easier to redeem later possibly? I find it annoying regardless.
Yeah, pretty much so Thorfinn's more or less a background character during those scenes since he is so detached from his own reality and has zero empathy. Pretty conventional storytelling method when you want to redeem a character later.

I just find it humorous that people expect him to have affection for another person (be it Canute or random slave girl) when Thorfinn doesn't even really remember what affection is nor has any respect for anyone living to appreciate another person's affection. His entire world as basically Askeladd's son needs to fall apart completely first.
Oct 26, 2019 3:09 AM

Jul 2016
Izuru_Kamukura10 said:
Vindicater said:

They are who they are.

You do realise they are a viking raiding party right?

And somehow that makes what they are doing alright then? No. I do not care who they are. You could be raised up in hell for all I care. When you're this low and disgusting then you are this low and disgusting.
Thorkell maybe crazy SOB but at the very least that crazy SOB is a warrior who fights on the battlefield. Askeladd? A coward and a liar who kills anyone whether it's ally, enemy or bystanders and has no honor of a warrior like Thorfinn. He's no warrior. Even for the characters in this series, he's fucking low. This show may boast awful characters but he's the lowest of the low. Turns his blade on ally and bystander alike. Would not be surprised if Bjorn and his Dane buddies will get screwed over by him with enough motivation.
Don't try to justify his actions to me because no amount of 'ends justify the means' or 'They're Vikings' is going to cut it. I'm not interested.

Thorkell is a viking raider as well. He has murdered and probably raped his way across Europe.

The only reason he is fighting on the English side is because he wants the war to continue so he can murder more people.

Askelad is a sneaky mother fucker and absolutely ruthless but at least he has a goal in mind. Thorkell has no goal other than to keep killing people no matter who they are.
Oct 26, 2019 3:18 AM

Jun 2016
Vindicater said:
Izuru_Kamukura10 said:

And somehow that makes what they are doing alright then? No. I do not care who they are. You could be raised up in hell for all I care. When you're this low and disgusting then you are this low and disgusting.
Thorkell maybe crazy SOB but at the very least that crazy SOB is a warrior who fights on the battlefield. Askeladd? A coward and a liar who kills anyone whether it's ally, enemy or bystanders and has no honor of a warrior like Thorfinn. He's no warrior. Even for the characters in this series, he's fucking low. This show may boast awful characters but he's the lowest of the low. Turns his blade on ally and bystander alike. Would not be surprised if Bjorn and his Dane buddies will get screwed over by him with enough motivation.
Don't try to justify his actions to me because no amount of 'ends justify the means' or 'They're Vikings' is going to cut it. I'm not interested.

Thorkell is a viking raider as well. He has murdered and probably raped his way across Europe.

The only reason he is fighting on the English side is because he wants the war to continue so he can murder more people.

Askelad is a sneaky mother fucker and absolutely ruthless but at least he has a goal in mind. Thorkell has no goal other than to keep killing people no matter who they are.

Then you clearly missed what he said when he fought. I doubt a man who's only interested in war would find pleasure in murdering nobodies. He only murderers warriors and if he kills nobodies then it certainly is not for pleasure like fucking Askeladd raiding villages and smiling about it. Thorkell would be fucking bored killing nobodies and that's a fact.
He kills for pleasure, yes, but this only against soldiers and warriors and he fights with a sense of a warrior's honor and not rat like Askeladd. To say he has no goal is to shorthand his character entirely.
He fights because he's a warrior as he says and that's his life's purpose and he has no problem dying and going to Valhalla as he would say because he believes that's the amount of his existence, to live the life of a warrior. As immoral as that is, that is a goal in itself and I doubt he'd find pleasure murdering the weak and even if he does, at least is not out of pleasure unlike fucking Askeladd who smile like it's a fucking joke. Thorkell only interest lies in the battlefield. Money and rape is hardly his interests and the latter being your presumption. I'll believe that when I see it until then, keep your accusations.
And at least I don't go the 'ends justify the means' or 'He's a Viking' like the rest of you do. I make no excuses for the man. He's crazy murdering SOB. Unlike Askeladd excusers, I don't go around making the man look like he's a victim of his own circumstances and having an issue if people hate him because he's an awful person. While Askeladd excusers moan and go "He's just doing what he needs to" and pile hundreds of excuses and think those of us who hates him are being illogical and stupid, I'm not stooping to their levels. If there are people who hate Thorkell for being awful then go ahead. I'm not making excuses because he is a horrible person. I'm not like Askeladd excusers with their millions of excuses stockpiled to defend that disgusting piece of crap.
Oh and just a reminder that Askeladd before the Wales thing was just fuck people up and take their money and rape. No one cared then so why bring up this excuse now as if it matters now that we're talking about Thorkell when people just justified it as 'He's a Viking'
Izuru_Kamukura10Oct 26, 2019 3:43 AM
Gift by Mimurona

Oct 26, 2019 4:12 AM

Jul 2016
Izuru_Kamukura10 said:
Vindicater said:

Then you clearly missed what he said when he fought. I doubt a man who's only interested in war would find pleasure in murdering nobodies. He only murderers warriors and if he kills nobodies then it certainly is not for pleasure like fucking Askeladd raiding villages and smiling about it. Thorkell would be fucking bored killing nobodies and that's a fact.
He kills for pleasure, yes, but this only against soldiers and warriors and he fights with a sense of a warrior's honor and not rat like Askeladd. To say he has no goal is to shorthand his character entirely.
He fights because he's a warrior as he says and that's his life's purpose and he has no problem dying and going to Valhalla as he would say because he believes that's the amount of his existence, to live the life of a warrior. As immoral as that is, that is a goal in itself and I doubt he'd find pleasure murdering the weak and even if he does, at least is not out of pleasure unlike fucking Askeladd who smile like it's a fucking joke. Thorkell only interest lies in the battlefield. Money and rape is hardly his interests and the latter being your presumption. I'll believe that when I see it until then, keep your accusations.
And at least I don't go the 'ends justify the means' or 'He's a Viking' like the rest of you do. I make no excuses for the man. He's crazy murdering SOB. Unlike Askeladd excusers, I don't go around making the man look like he's a victim of his own circumstances and having an issue if people hate him because he's an awful person. While Askeladd excusers moan and go "He's just doing what he needs to" and pile hundreds of excuses and think those of us who hates him are being illogical and stupid, I'm not stooping to their levels. If there are people who hate Thorkell for being awful then go ahead. I'm not making excuses because he is a horrible person. I'm not like Askeladd excusers with their millions of excuses stockpiled to defend that disgusting piece of crap.
Oh and just a reminder that Askeladd before the Wales thing was just fuck people up and take their money and rape. No one cared then so why bring up this excuse now as if it matters now that we're talking about Thorkell when people just justified it as 'He's a Viking'

1. I am not an Askeladd excuser. He is a ruthless mother fucker who has done horrible things.

2. You are clearly putting Thorkell on a hero pedestal. He is a person who goes around with the only goal to kill people. He is about to try and re-start the war when it is about to end just so he can keep on killing people. If he manages to reignite the war then he will have been the reason for far more deaths than Askeladd who has raided a few villages. (something that THorkell 100% would have done in his past anyway)

3. The Vikings were a brutal people. You need to realise that none of these people are 'good' or 'honourable' people.

Mod edit: removed insult
BrandonOct 27, 2019 2:48 AM
Oct 26, 2019 5:12 AM

Aug 2015
This was a sad episode...to learn that Canute's father is going to kill him is just messed up. Throkell is still who he is even without fighting.
Oct 26, 2019 5:19 AM
May 2019
Finally, we learned something about Canute's past. So Askeladd made another foolish move by killing Ragnar. But I hope that Canute would really grow about Ragnar's death just like Askeladd spew.
PugoPHOct 26, 2019 5:22 AM
Oct 26, 2019 6:23 AM

Feb 2017
Can someone tell me what chapter did this episode end on,i want to continue with the manga.

Thank you in advance
Oct 26, 2019 6:56 AM
Aug 2019
Ixa98 said:
Can someone tell me what chapter did this episode end on,i want to continue with the manga.

Thank you in advance

Chapters 29 and 30
Oct 26, 2019 7:37 AM

Nov 2018
Ysad_Ziwezhan said:
shane_nichols said:
Omfg I hate Askellad but my god he's one of the best antagonist I've ever seen.

Indeed, a case where the antagonist is hundred times more interesting than the protagonist.

Wait till you see what happens next... Thorfinn has one of the BEST character developpement I have ever seen
Oct 27, 2019 6:02 AM

Feb 2019
Noo! Ragnar was one of my favourites, he was so kind and lovely :( RIP. Askeladd is still amazing but he deserves a kick in the groin.

Oct 27, 2019 7:50 AM
Feb 2019
nanashi796 said:
askeladd face at the NO was so much better in the manga.

Wow,the manga art is too good and I can definitely feel the atmosphere, I will start reading the manga after this season is finished, and it's rare to happen with me, but I think VS manga is already amazing and wouldn't be less impactful, also I was spoiled by 2 major plot keys... sadly.
Oct 28, 2019 7:41 AM

Aug 2016
Canute waifu's cooking give me Griffith vibe. Just without balls. Hope Ragnar death won't be in vain.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 28, 2019 12:36 PM
Dec 2016
RIP Ragnar. You did your job valiantly.
Oct 28, 2019 6:26 PM
May 2016
well at least now thorfinn and Canute can become revenge bros. he he, too soon, too soon
Oct 29, 2019 6:33 AM
Nov 2017
Wow.. Plot twist after plot twist. This story plot is AMAZING, it's blowing my mind all the time. Insane!
Oct 30, 2019 5:51 AM

Mar 2014
Ragnar's death flag was already up by the time they were eating soup. I didn't really expect King Sweyn to want Canute dead, damn. I hope Askeladd keeps his promise to protect him. The beginning of the episode, with Canute saying there's no father who doesn't love his child, hits hard after seeing the King's true intentions.
Oct 30, 2019 10:28 PM

Oct 2008
oh god...sad to see that Ragnar has fallen to push Canute into a more capable prince!
5/5.

Nov 1, 2019 12:04 PM

Jul 2014
Oh boi, Askeladd really doesn't give a fuck afterall.
Nov 2, 2019 1:09 PM

May 2019
Ragnar was just too stupid to think nobody would aim him considering he is the responsible for keep Canute a pussy.

I predicted his death since we met Canute's "bravery".
Nov 2, 2019 2:46 PM

Oct 2013
Bloody hell... just when I started to like Askeladd he had to remind me in this and the previous episode that he's a total and ruthless seashore. Despite that, he is still my favorite character in this show. Complex, original, even if he is an antagonist. Kinda, because I wouldn't call him a villain. There are no essentially good or bad people, which makes Vinland Saga realistic.

I hope Thorfinn will get along with Canute.
@Tiagura , lmao, Askeladd the Chad. xD I laughed, haha.

Poor Ragnar. He dedicated his whole life for Canute and Denmark... and died assassinated without being able to say goodbye to his prince. :(
Nov 3, 2019 8:47 AM

May 2015
Rip conehead...you wont be missed.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Nov 4, 2019 1:40 PM

Apr 2016
This episode convinced me at all. I've not liked the previous five or six episode, but finally I think I’m going to like it again.
Nov 6, 2019 1:37 AM

Jul 2013
They so nonchalantly made that plan to cook poultry together that I didn't see it as a death flag. It's interesting how Ragnar dies too just like in the Vikings series, which btw, I'm watching too, I'm currently at S5.
Nov 6, 2019 2:18 AM

Jan 2019
PrimeX said:
It's interesting how Ragnar dies too just like in the Vikings series

damn, and I was thinking of going back to watch the rest of that series.
Nov 16, 2019 6:16 AM
Jan 2019
Amazing episode! I love the last 2 eps so bad. Every episode that doesn't focus on Thorfinn and his revenge is great.

It's predictable and realistic that Askeladd must kill Ragnar. It's necessary for both Canute and Askeladd himself. Thank Ragnar for your loyalty and care!

Canute is best girl of the season all along (no homo). Even Thorfinn knows it. I really want to see how he will grow from now on.
Nov 17, 2019 12:36 AM
Nov 2017
tuanguyen said:
Amazing episode! I love the last 2 eps so bad. Every episode that doesn't focus on Thorfinn and his revenge is great.

It's predictable and realistic that Askeladd must kill Ragnar. It's necessary for both Canute and Askeladd himself. Thank Ragnar for your loyalty and care!

Canute is best girl of the season all along (no homo). Even Thorfinn knows it. I really want to see how he will grow from now on.

God dammit, how many times do I have to say it. Thorkell is the best girl and waifu of this series, probably this year. And this is not an opinion, this is a fact, so you can't argue with it.
Nov 26, 2019 1:05 PM
EOussama

Dec 2016
Come on, not like this, Ragnar. He took one for the team. He will be missed. Man, Askeladd makes me rage sometimes, screw this savage mofo. At least Ragnar had a happy meal with Canute before he passed.
Nov 30, 2019 11:58 PM
Jul 2018
That was very brutal, Askeladd. Very brutal. Oh my I hate him totally at this point but he's the best antagonist I ever seen.
Dec 1, 2019 10:45 AM
Jul 2018
Ragnar was a pretty good guy with his heart in the right place. People who just see him as whiny I feel have misunderstood him.
Pages (6) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

804 by Xeehad »»
Jun 9, 12:47 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 1, 2019

175 by Xeehad »»
Jun 9, 7:51 AM

» Mulanjyou sounds different on Apple Music

Raionshin19 - Jun 3

20 by Raionshin19 »»
Jun 6, 8:19 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

272 by MainAxe9880 »»
Jun 5, 3:00 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

167 by MainAxe9880 »»
Jun 5, 2:28 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.