Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Feb 2, 2021 11:56 AM

Oct 2020
Great episode.

I just noticed that whenever I see their battles, I've been counting their injuries and how much "hospital-time" they'll require and feeling anxious about it ahaha. It's funny cause I don't apply this while watching battle shounen cause anime logic tells me they'll recover quickly. Because this show has emphasised how much time it takes to heal (which more or less aligns with IRL), the pain feels more real? especially given how long Neiru was hospitalised

Feb 2, 2021 11:56 AM
Jul 2016
Wonder Egg Priority has always focused heavily on ladies and femininity; showcasing the struggles of what woman have to deal with in their everyday lives. And this amplified by the diverse cast of girls living vastly different livelihoods.

Ranging from a rich black girl from an esteemed company, a manipulative bumptious C class idol, a cheerful dull sunflower who is actually a neet, to a masculine tomboy who wins the affections of many girls. However, the one trait they all share is suffering from mass trauma of a beloved one commuting suicide, hence feeling guilty for not giving it their all to provide support.

Each episode did a deep introspective dive into each of the girls tragedy; with the core format revolving around introducing the new character, developing a relationship with Oito, revealing their distress, then resolving it with the girl accepting their flaws and overcoming their demons in an epic battle.

And now in episode 4, the spot line shines onto momo; a handsome androgynous tomboy who seemingly wins the heart of many. Now let me just say that momo's tragedy is the most disheartening out of all the girls yet. Her dilemma accommodates gender discrimination, the idea of what it means to be a woman, sexual assault, and self hate all bundled into one package of depression.

Throughout the episode we witness numerous girls falling in love with her as she saves them from their demons. However, the one scene that stood out for me is the girl who finds out momo is not a man. Momo apologizes for "tricking" the girl and claims that a masculine look fits her better; rather than freaking out like a shallow person, she acknowledges that she fell in love with momo for her character, rather than her looks.

This scene is crucial in understanding Momo's tragedy, because it reveals her internal struggle. Momo is constantly battling with self hate because of her refusal to conform to gender norms. Like in the battle on the train, the demon taunts momo for looking like a man, claiming that she is not allowed to use the girls bathroom. Then momo furiously retaliates demanding that she's a girl as well.

Now I have a theory on why Momo chooses to display this androgynous look; look back at the scene where momo is battling the ugly bastard. We get a brief flashback of her friend requesting momo to touch her. Now why would this scene play during a fight where momo is trying to stop a creep from touching a girl? The logical conclusion is that momo had to have been molested herself, therefore she converted her looks into a more masculine attire, to avoid being targeted by molesters.

Ever since then, Momo has captivated the eye of numerous girls, believing her to be a man. For example, in the scene where Momo meets Rika and Neiru; Rika assumes she's a man, complimenting her for her looks, and Neiru antagonizes her, questioning why a guy is allowed in the dream world. This terrible treatment of Momo is what constantly eats away her soul; combined with the fact there not many people who accept her.

Nevertheless, as per usual Momo get's her grand resolution, as our beloved sunflower comes in to light the path of joy. With Ohto being the first girl in a while to realize that Momo is in fact a woman. And I LOVE this scene! The gang has finally gotten together, accepting their differences and befriending one another. Now they're ready to jump in the mystery machine and go slay more monsters and save more lost souls!

Overall this is another WONDERFUL episode of wonder egg priority. The gals have finally assembled, and the already insane plot will kick into high gear next episode!
Feb 2, 2021 12:04 PM

Jan 2019
This episode was a bit awkward.

The anime says that the girls are immortal in the dream world but that their wounds reappear in the real world. Ooto Ai was healed of her cut when she crossed a door in the dream world but had it again when she returned to the real world. Neiru was seriously injured and stayed in the hospital for quite a time. But suddenly, Rika suffers nothing when she returns. She was petrified in the dream world and supposedly died at the last episode. It is normal that she survived there, because the anime has already shown that this is how that world works, but she should have been petrified again when she returned to the real world. That was to be expected. But, instead, she suffered no consequence. It seems that things will only have consequences in this story when Shinji Nojima wants to. It's a shame, I was starting to have high expectations thanks to episode 3.

Sexist stereotypes don't help either. What is the reason why those cloth beings said those things in the first place? If the girls mistook Momoe for a boy, it would be enough for them to say that Momoe is a girl. Also, at a certain point in the course of the episode I thought that the egg girls fell in love with Momoe because of some peculiarity of the system applied to Momoe, but in fact it was something that happened spontaneously. They just fell in love with Momoe because she looks like a boy. This forces the suspension of disbelief a little too much.
"If someone says it's wrong to hope, I'll tell them they're wrong every single time."
Feb 2, 2021 12:48 PM

Nov 2011
Felt like a completely rushed episode. I am still interested in what Ai's weapon is supposed to symbolize.

Momoe is a very interesting character who uses a spear as a weapon, it looks like it had flags on it as well so maybe she was a cheerleader of some sort?

I was wondering when or if we were going to get any male characters getting eggs and now we find out why. mainly 2 different reasons.

Sawaki? My guess since she was talking all that model stuff and since her mother used to work in a fashion magazine, Sawaki's name rang a bell.

We still need to learn a lot about Neiru as well but we know she is the president of a company lol.
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Feb 2, 2021 12:49 PM
Dec 2019
deg said:
nice so the immortality plot is not forgotten lol i thought Rika will be petrified until the enemy is defeated by Ai but i guess not since ye they are immortal like episode 1 shows

Momo is a lesbian but not a tomboy i guess

i wonder what Ai remembers by the name Sawaki though in the end

and the action sakuga is awesome again
Momo may not necessarily be a lesbian the touching and kissing wasn’t exactly reciprocated more just confused I guess. Also Ai was surprised by the name Sawaki bc that is her teacher that comes over and may be dating her Mom but may have also molested her best friend. Momoe must be related somehow.
Feb 2, 2021 12:56 PM

Jun 2015
Defo top 5 for me so far this season with vibes heading into the final top 3. Visuals are amazing. Story is both dark and at times refreshing. Characters are shaping up and being filled out. I'm just always curious to see what happens next episode when the current one ends.
To have you, Id give a billion lives A-Chan best girl
Feb 2, 2021 12:57 PM

Jun 2019
I liked this episode more than the last one. The ending of Ai’s fight was really well animated and the traumas of Momoe and her victims were portrayed well. I don’t know how the girls can die in the dreams and not die in real life when injuries are reflected on their bodies after they leave. I hope that gets explained.
Feb 2, 2021 1:14 PM

Apr 2020
did not expect to get epic action plus a pretty good ost, but I'm still confused with Sawaki is actually a boy or girl, well so far this is the best episode, hope the next episode is better
Feb 2, 2021 1:39 PM

Jul 2014
So the last episode ended with a tragedy cliff hanger.

Then this episode we find out it wasn't a cliff hanger, the person we thought was dead just comes back and all the fighting doesn't matter at all.

Could this dumpster fire get any worse?
Feb 2, 2021 1:40 PM
Apr 2016
I don't get it... So she dislikes when people mistake her for a boy, but wears pants and has short hair...
Feb 2, 2021 1:46 PM

Apr 2012
JanPri said:
I don't get it... So she dislikes when people mistake her for a boy, but wears pants and has short hair...

It is assumed that she has reasons for looking like this. And the fact that her appearance is different from her real sex makes her uncomfortable. Why - intrigue.
Feb 2, 2021 1:52 PM

Aug 2016
It's nice to see them getting along.
I'm sensing a full team up followed by tragedy in their future.
“I just spent the last two years thinking that you guys knew more than me about life and I just found out that you guys are just as dumb as me.” “Duh-doy.” “Yeah, duh-doy.”
Feb 2, 2021 2:03 PM

Mar 2016
girl gang assemble! ahhh i love them all so much. (i wonder how they're all so good at fighting in their individual egg worlds) i wonder what neiru's world looks like!

amazing sound and animation! my favourite scene was where yuyu's music was playing and the wonderkiller was dancing through the trees, and of course when rika made a reappearance!

i am really enjoying this story so far, i can't wait to see where it goes.
strawberaetaeFeb 2, 2021 3:01 PM

Feb 2, 2021 2:23 PM

Apr 2015
Damn, I love me some more of those action scenes. They were quite impressive. Also, that crazy fan thing surely looked like a Toxapex.

So, we get to see the introduction of the 4th girl, Momoe Sawaki. It's a little bit sus that she has the same surname as the Ai's teacher, but it could also mean nothing at all, mere coincidence. Time will tell..

Momoe seems to have her own struggles, as one would come to expect after being 4 episodes into this show. She really has this tomboyish appearence and girls seem to mistake her for a boy, which led to some of them to fall in love with her. Even the girls from the eggs.

The scene between Momoe and the girl who she's fighting for, is quite the interesting scene. They were both wearing the girl's school uniform and Momoe is now more dressed like a boy. I wonder if that was on her own free will or was it forced on her? Or does she just dress like that outside of school, which leads to her being mistaken for a boy. Let's see if they will dive deeper into that next week.

I loved that moment of all 4 girls laughing together, that was pretty cute.
Feb 2, 2021 2:32 PM

Mar 2018
Ryoketsu said:

The anime says that the girls are immortal in the dream world but that their wounds reappear in the real world. Ooto Ai was healed of her cut when she crossed a door in the dream world but had it again when she returned to the real world. Neiru was seriously injured and stayed in the hospital for quite a time. But suddenly, Rika suffers nothing when she returns. She was petrified in the dream world and supposedly died at the last episode. It is normal that she survived there, because the anime has already shown that this is how that world works, but she should have been petrified again when she returned to the real world. That was to be expected. But, instead, she suffered no consequence. It seems that things will only have consequences in this story when Shinji Nojima wants to. It's a shame, I was starting to have high expectations thanks to episode 3.

Sexist stereotypes don't help either. What is the reason why those cloth beings said those things in the first place? If the girls mistook Momoe for a boy, it would be enough for them to say that Momoe is a girl. Also, at a certain point in the course of the episode I thought that the egg girls fell in love with Momoe because of some peculiarity of the system applied to Momoe, but in fact it was something that happened spontaneously. They just fell in love with Momoe because she looks like a boy. This forces the suspension of disbelief a little too much.

She just got petrified. We don't know if that counted as killing her. The thing is, she didn't suffer any injurie from physicall contact, thus not needing
Ryoketsu said:

The trick may be physicall damage done by physicall touch. Maybe the petrification was not a way of killing her, but to stop her. The monster doesn't try this again, so we can speculate that just physicall damage remains.

Additionally, they jump like crazy, and don't suffer from knee pain once they return.
A detective who uses his deductive powers to corner a suspect and then does nothing to stop them from committing suicide is no better than a murderer himself

- Kudo Shinichi
Feb 2, 2021 2:37 PM
Jun 2012
I really hope all four of the girls will sleep together in the next episode and have a fun and exciting adventure.
Feb 2, 2021 3:07 PM

Jan 2020
Okay , so we are introduced to side characters more , it's okay , I still enjoyed it ,but i hope the author won't forget that this anime is psychological at first episode . Hope the side characters won't stole Ai development screentime
Хайде, хайде, хайде, това е първата зона, брато, първа зона, първа зона, добре, добре, добре, това става тук горе, отива тук горе, само спокойно, само спокойно... Ха, отдясно е, навсякъде отдясно отдясно къде е дясното ти о да добре добре добре тихо мълчаливо не успях да се съсредоточа върху това ЕХ ТЪПАК КОГАТО СИ БАВНО БАВНО ... ой е путката на моето момиче прасе куче, аз Чувствам се добре, о, мамо, *шамар*, какво е това госпожице татко-
Feb 2, 2021 3:21 PM

Jul 2020
RobertBobert said:
Finally, we will get at least some material other than "she looks androgynous, and the author wrote about LGBTQ earlier, so she trans" before. Well, with a small caveat - this is far from the first anime about a real or not gender theme, at least 1-2 years ago there have already been several.

@deg Everything makes sense in context, and in order to understand a particular trope, you must first understand its context. Just because she's androgynous doesn't make her trans or lesbian in and of itself. Not to mention the fact that the tomboy is not attached to any sexuality. She can be a lesbian and a tomboy as well.

YES, and this is something I always keep an eye on: the words used.

When Ura and Aca talks about no boys are allowed in their “realm” they use the word SEIBETSU, that word is close to SEX/GENDER as a binary system itself, they have a word for gender that is quite new (like in the 90’s aprox) that is JENDA, it is obvious the relation with the word gender and the rising of the globalized world (vaporwave who? Jajaj). They have an older term for Non binar/queer : X-jenda.

So, Ura and aca talks about no boys allowed but they talk about SEIBETSU, and then they say something confusing ( i need to rewatch it) about it doesn’t matter the gender o something? And then Rika mocks on Neiru and telling her “-don’t discreminate” and “don’t be transphobic”? Like what?

So to make myself clear, i don’t know if they admit anyone that identify as girl. But then Momo comes with xer identity dilemma, is Momo a girl? A boy? Maybe an X-jenda folk? A Tomboy? A Butch lesbian? A “only-a-phase” to “being a girly-girl”? At the end, Momo refers as BOKU, that is a masculine dialect yo refer to one self as a boy, and ai and the girls misgendered him but tries not to when Momo almost cries (ai don’t know all Momo’s struggle) . The scene is so sweet and potent!

Then either way, if Momo comes out as, lets suppose, being a boy, then what Ura and Aca talks about only admitting girls, would fall off.

I hope the script don’t go to the obvious biologist idea of a “female body” to tap all the gender problematic they are putting in the table for Momo’s character. But Ura and Aca seems like they are “playing “ with the central cast like Kyubey vibes are thereee.

So confusing but either way love everything done so far.
Feb 2, 2021 3:31 PM

May 2018
Fight scenes again top notch.

"Sawaki" now wait just a goddamn minute-
This is not your planet to rule. The Fallen shall rise again.
Feb 2, 2021 3:32 PM
Jul 2014
This is definitely shaping up to be one of the best original anime in a while
Feb 2, 2021 3:37 PM

Jul 2019
I think some of you are expecting a bit much from a country that still doesn't allow same-sex marriage.
Feb 2, 2021 3:46 PM

Dec 2018
deg said:
nice so the immortality plot is not forgotten lol i thought Rika will be petrified until the enemy is defeated by Ai but i guess not since ye they are immortal like episode 1 shows

Sawaki is

This is not exactly a spoiler because the name and the character were already shown but just to be sure.
Feb 2, 2021 3:49 PM
Feb 2021
As a trans person myself, Momoe's story just screams transfeminine to me... not just because of the fact that she looks androgynous. Can't count the amount of times I've seen trans girls without proper support vent about how they feel like they'll never pass and how terrible that makes them feel, and that's really what I thought of seing the scene where she sort of desperately asks Ai what how she percieves her. Really disappoints me that it seems to be shaping up that she's just a masculine cis girl, but at least I have headcanon to rely on...

Trans erasure in media make the feelbad,,
yuuuyakeFeb 2, 2021 3:57 PM
Feb 2, 2021 3:53 PM

Mar 2014
Nice episode, man these backstories get darker every episode...

Sawaki comes across as a tomboyish girl, very masculine but seems to find it irritating to be considered a male. Out of safety, rather wait until i see more of her backstory to truly confirm whether she is a "Trap" or a tomboyish girl.

Likely the latter at the moment but until next week!
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter".
Feb 2, 2021 4:03 PM
Swallowtail

Feb 2014
Another great episode - I'm really enjoying the suspense of the anime.

I personally saw Momoe as an AFAB girl who is simply hiding her femininity and is scared to accept it because people around her refused to accept it too, focusing on her masculine appearance instead. Therefore, she eventually decided to go along with this vision, hiding her true self.
I guess, I can see the arguments for her being a transgirl, but then it would be strange for her to try to sound more masculine while her actual voice appears to be more feminine. Also, it's rare for biological men to not have adam's apple, it would be more likely for her to get chondrolaryngoplasty to remove it. But that's borderline impossible in her age, unless underlying health condition. She says things like 'masculine style fits me better', so it seems to be more about her ways of presenting herself rather than her gender identity. Also, she was wearing a female school uniform in her flashback. Hard to imagine that happening anywhere in a Japanese school, they really aren't that inclusive at all lol.
So I'm leaning more towards a cisgirl who has a trauma and a strong feeling of self-consciousness because people didn't accept her for who she is and wants to be.

I also doubt whether she is interested in girls romantically. The scene from her flashback seemed force and didn't feel mutual at all. Doesn't help that she remembered it when fighting the sexual abuser dude. Moreover, she never reciprocates any of the girls' feelings. On the other side, she was quick to point out that adam's apples are hot. Maybe she was just trying to fit in. Or she might actually be straight or asexual, and this was the reason she rejected that girl from her memories, thus pushing her to commit suicide.

That said, there is another interesting detail. The monster Momoe was fighting at the end was an angry lady who refused to let her inside the women-only carriage. Of course, this hurt Momoe, but also this "nightmare" belongs to the girl who Momoe was protecting in that dream. For the previous girl, it was her abuser, for the idol's fans it was their "crazy obsessed rival", and previously we had an abusive trainer.
The girl who Momoe was protecting appears to be, well, a girly girl. She doesn't have masculine features and style, compared to Momoe. So why is she traumatised by a lady who is stopping men from entering the women-only carriages? Perhaps, this girl is actually transgender and that's why she was scared of the woman who would force her to board the mixed carriage instead, claiming that she is 'a man'. This could explain her suicide as well as why she is more open towards Momoe's gender identity when she finds out about it.

Feb 2, 2021 4:07 PM

May 2019
Momo thinks adam's apple is sexy. So she's not a lesbian. Maybe bi, who knows? Or maybe she's straight but girls think she's not because they're too focused on her masculinity or something? Well, not that I care about a character's sexuality. She's a sweet girl. She's most probably not a transgender either. Idk where how did people come up with that.

Ai saying "a crying girl who looks like a model" was super cute. She's adorable as always.

However, even though the characters are nice and the art is phenomenal, after 4 eps, I still don't find myself invested in the story at all. Especially the egg world full of symbolism is just a bunch of extremely flashy and pretty yet boring scenes for me. She's been shouting and hitting the Persona 5 bosses for 4 episodes straight now... I'll watch a few more episodes to see if the story picks up.
bluninjaFeb 2, 2021 4:10 PM
If you read Eleceed you're automatically my friend.
Feb 2, 2021 4:14 PM
Dec 2019
milla_nee-san said:
RobertBobert said:
Finally, we will get at least some material other than "she looks androgynous, and the author wrote about LGBTQ earlier, so she trans" before. Well, with a small caveat - this is far from the first anime about a real or not gender theme, at least 1-2 years ago there have already been several.

@deg Everything makes sense in context, and in order to understand a particular trope, you must first understand its context. Just because she's androgynous doesn't make her trans or lesbian in and of itself. Not to mention the fact that the tomboy is not attached to any sexuality. She can be a lesbian and a tomboy as well.

YES, and this is something I always keep an eye on: the words used.

When Ura and Aca talks about no boys are allowed in their “realm” they use the word SEIBETSU, that word is close to SEX/GENDER as a binary system itself, they have a word for gender that is quite new (like in the 90’s aprox) that is JENDA, it is obvious the relation with the word gender and the rising of the globalized world (vaporwave who? Jajaj). They have an older term for Non binar/queer : X-jenda.

So, Ura and aca talks about no boys allowed but they talk about SEIBETSU, and then they say something confusing ( i need to rewatch it) about it doesn’t matter the gender o something? And then Rika mocks on Neiru and telling her “-don’t discreminate” and “don’t be transphobic”? Like what?

So to make myself clear, i don’t know if they admit anyone that identify as girl. But then Momo comes with xer identity dilemma, is Momo a girl? A boy? Maybe an X-jenda folk? A Tomboy? A Butch lesbian? A “only-a-phase” to “being a girly-girl”? At the end, Momo refers as BOKU, that is a masculine dialect yo refer to one self as a boy, and ai and the girls misgendered him but tries not to when Momo almost cries (ai don’t know all Momo’s struggle) . The scene is so sweet and potent!

Then either way, if Momo comes out as, lets suppose, being a boy, then what Ura and Aca talks about only admitting girls, would fall off.

I hope the script don’t go to the obvious biologist idea of a “female body” to tap all the gender problematic they are putting in the table for Momo’s character. But Ura and Aca seems like they are “playing “ with the central cast like Kyubey vibes are thereee.

So confusing but either way love everything done so far.

Momo is clearly a girl, she gets confused as a boy due to her masculine look but she is clearly a girl, that scene you mentioned really showed that Momoe is and wants to be seen as a girl and prefers being called and treated as what she is, a female.
Feb 2, 2021 4:16 PM

May 2015
is it too early to already score this a 10? the visuals are beautiful and I cant wait for the story to develop more aaaaaaaaa
No matter who much you regret or wish,
if you couldn't do something in life,
you can't do it after death, either.
- Hanako
Feb 2, 2021 4:16 PM

Apr 2017
Finally they meet each other
Moe is Love ! Moe is Life !
Feb 2, 2021 4:29 PM
Dec 2020
So, a couple of points I'd like to address:

We still don't really know if Momoe wholeheartedly identifies as male or female. They could either be transitioning from female to male and going through identity crisis, or actually identifying as female Tomboy (hence the getup and the occasional male pronoun), maybe they are covering up their feminine side because of trauma, or perhaps they are actually biologically male, went through transition early in their life, but then was forced back to male identity by some event. Sounds implausible? Maybe, but without more information about their past we just can't tell what's going on.

One thing is for sure. This is the Girls' Gachi game, so a "purgatory" reserved for females. Whether Momoe is there because they identify as a woman, or because they are biologically a woman, or anything in between, is still unknown. We just don't know the full criteria for being entered in the Girls' Gachi game, and we don't know Momoe's situation well enough.

There might be a clue in what the strawmen said about reasons for suicides. They believe men's suicides are goal-oriented (as in, due to a difficulty of a practical nature, like losing a job or becoming disabled), while women's suicides are feeling-oriented (as in, due to having your heart broken or other emotional trauma). This is consistent with what the modern psychiatry tells us about the issue of suicide from a gender-specific perspective. That's not the whole story of course, and there are more than enough exceptions, but that's just what the statistics show. Whether the authors will take this phenomenon at face value and just roll with it, or will they try to deconstruct it somehow remains to be seen. We still don't know who the strawmen are or what they want out of this, or whether they are in the right or in the wrong. We just don't know.

I hate not knowing things, but I also enjoy the mystery of it. Looking forward to hopefully getting some answers, or at least clues, next episode. Fingers crossed!
Feb 2, 2021 4:37 PM

Sep 2020

Momoe is a player but Ai has some game too...
Feb 2, 2021 5:54 PM

Aug 2014
Momoe seems visibly uncomfortable whenever another girl hits on her or whenever someone points out how boyish she looks. My guess is that her friend killed herself because she was in love with her but Momoe had to reject her because she isn't into that. Now she dresses up like a boy because she thinks it's her fault that her friend died and wants to make sure that no other girls like her friend end up the same way. It's really sad, honestly, I wish that she wouldn't blame herself for it.
Nonetheless, she was very happy when Ai said she looks like a girl, and earlier she said "I'm a girl!" to that ghost monster. I believe that people who says "trans allegory" and the like are looking into it way too much.
On a different note, I'm glad that Rika ain't dead, she's my favorite so far.
Feb 2, 2021 6:08 PM

May 2019
I guess we had a little plot hole in this episode.

In the 1st episode Ai had her waist injured, automatic healed in the dreamworld, but become real after her return to real life.

Now Rika was severely injured, she become a statue! Then healed herself in the dream... but no consequences in real life?

Which is the logic? The rules are so flexible? How convenient.

Feb 2, 2021 6:58 PM
Dec 2007
eastsip said:
Kosmonaut said:
Well, okay, apparently, boys' suicides are born from not achieving goals and girls' out of emotions and the 'allure of death', alrighty then. Even suicide the eggs sold by Ikuhara-esque attendants' gacha game are gendered smh my head.

I had the same thoughts.
The show - girls kill themselves because death is deceptive and girls fall for it ig.
The same show - don't care about gender, bad Neiru bad!
Like what?
So, I sort of feel as if that distinction was mentioned specifically to shine a spotlight on that particular type of stereotype. Momoe looked real uncomfortable with that conversation and I'm interested to see if they explore it further. The shows handled pretty much everything well so far so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.
GGcc78Feb 2, 2021 7:07 PM
Feb 2, 2021 7:03 PM

Jan 2020
Nice episode again today. I enjoyed episode 3 more but I think this was good and momoe seems like a pretty interesting character so far. Rika's dog thing was really cute lol

Feb 2, 2021 7:13 PM

May 2020
...and the final member of the team has been introduced! Momoe Sawaki! Not going to lie I thought she was a he when I first saw her, glad to see Rika is all right! Totally forgot that they're immortal in this world. Another really great fight, the animation is on-point as always. This episode is interesting as it focuses more on sexual harassment and it seems Sawaki is facing some troubles of her own as well, she's a very interesting character so far and seeing all four of them laughing at the end was nice to see.
Feb 2, 2021 7:26 PM
Jan 2018
Kosmonaut said:
Well, okay, apparently, boys' suicides are born from not achieving goals and girls' out of emotions and the 'allure of death', alrighty then. Even suicide the eggs sold by Ikuhara-esque attendants' gacha game are gendered smh my head.

This!! It pissed me off. It does a disservice to both genders in my opinion. Women feel intense emotion, men feel intense emotion too. I don't see the point in pretending men aren't emotional beings. Anyway, loving everything about the show otherwise.
I also saw someone say to probably not take what those doll guys say at face value since they seem kinda shady/evil. (Like kyuubi from madoka vibes)
rkoradiopicturesFeb 2, 2021 7:37 PM
Feb 2, 2021 7:27 PM
Jul 2020
deg said:

Ai’s bestfriend had the same last name
Feb 2, 2021 7:27 PM
Jul 2020
deg said:

Ai’s teacher had the same last name
Probably-CharlieAug 3, 2021 2:56 PM
Feb 2, 2021 7:59 PM

Jan 2011
good episode once again new girl has shown up was wondering from some of the tells if they were going with her being trans regardless seems like shes going through some gender identity problems we'll see how they handle it because man this show keeps adding on even more topics i hope it lands them all.

will say that line about suicide between genders came off as a mix bag

at least the ending was wholesome af not sure how often that will stay with everything else lol
Feb 2, 2021 8:09 PM
Apr 2020
Lesbihonest, this is getting more interesting. All of them have different personalities, but they're all the same, same goal of saving someone dear to them.

Feb 2, 2021 9:58 PM

Jul 2016
Man, seeing Momoe so troubled to the point of crying really moved me. It's impressive how the writer managed to make me feel this invested with all these characters in so little time.

Fantastic episode. As for Momoe and considering, if I'm not mistaken, that the writer has written about trans-gender characters before, I was thinking she was one (a boy who feels and wants to be seen as a girl) but towards the end of the episode, I'm assuming she's just a girl with "boyish" looks. I also guess she might be straight but feels conflicted about other girls falling in love with her due to her masculine appearance and as a result, feels the need to try and fill their expectations, thus the "boy clothes". This last part might also be related to the reason as for why her classmate ended up committing suicide so I look forward to knowing more about her background next week.
SouthRzVaFeb 2, 2021 10:01 PM
Feb 2, 2021 10:24 PM

Apr 2012
OgiDaWogi said:
Momoe seems visibly uncomfortable whenever another girl hits on her or whenever someone points out how boyish she looks. My guess is that her friend killed herself because she was in love with her but Momoe had to reject her because she isn't into that. Now she dresses up like a boy because she thinks it's her fault that her friend died and wants to make sure that no other girls like her friend end up the same way. It's really sad, honestly, I wish that she wouldn't blame herself for it.
Nonetheless, she was very happy when Ai said she looks like a girl, and earlier she said "I'm a girl!" to that ghost monster. I believe that people who says "trans allegory" and the like are looking into it way too much.
On a different note, I'm glad that Rika ain't dead, she's my favorite so far.

By the way, this is just my speculation, but I'm afraid that if when Momoe frees her, they become a couple as a forced happy ending, it will look like an excuse for suicide as a way to get your wish.

@milla_nee-san Um, in that context, it turns out that the show is just using the trans character as a loophole to add a male character to the show and talk about gender equality without adding an actual biological male character. I hate to think that such a show is still worried about otaku pandering.
RobertBobertFeb 3, 2021 12:02 AM
Feb 3, 2021 12:00 AM
Feb 2018
The animation is at the same level as jjk and sk8, but i think wep is better
Feb 3, 2021 12:11 AM
Jan 2021
I think the story will be more interesting by the looks of the new episode.

Maybe they will try linking all their dreams together? Who knows? Maybe there will be in the finale.

Oh, and there's some interesting theory going about Sawaki.

Another superb episode. Can't wait for the next one!
Feb 3, 2021 12:43 AM
Jun 2020
I am profoundly disappointed in this show. At first, I thought it had potential because of its beautiful animation and its deconstruction and confrontation of suicide, rape, molestation, etc. but in this episode, episode 4, it not only took steps backwards, it downright ruined the show. Allow me to explain.

*Trigger Warning*

Chauvinism - the denigration, disparagement, and patronization of a particular gender based on the belief that one gender is inferior to another and thus deserving of less than equal treatment or benefit.

This show has proven itself to be chauvinistic as it portrays women as insecure, gullible, irrational, emotionally unstable, impulsive, and easily influenced.

Evidence from the show:

Acca: Yes. Boys' and girls' suicides mean different things.

Acca: Men are goal-oriented, women are emotion-oriented.

Ura-Acca: Women are impulsive and easily influenced by others' voices.

Rika: Like human relationships?

Acca: That's part of it.

Acca: Imagine a "temptation of death".

Neiru: A temptation of death?

Rika: Scary. But I think I kind of get it.

Acca: Some might be led astray by the temptation and regret it. This place exists for those who want to return children like that to life.

Acca: So don't get hung up on gender.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!

1. That is blatantly saying that girls are emotionally vulnerable and that men are not. Mind you, this is a male character saying this to an entirely female cast. This highlights how the show is chauvinistic as it basically says, "Men are goal-oriented which makes them unlikely to commit suicide, girls are emotion-oriented making them more likely to commit suicide.
A. The suicide rate for males is three times higher than the rate for females (17.9 men versus 5.3 for women out of 100,000 people).
B. Men more often succeed in committing suicide.
C. Women more often attempt suicide, but are less likely to go all the way.
D. This show is built on misinformation as its protagonists are all female, and the suicide victims thus far have all been female. What this tells me is that this show's creators think women are more likely to commit suicide because, to quote the show, "Women are impulsive and easily influenced by others' voices." Ergo, they think women emotionally unstable.

2. It basically says suicide is reversible, which of course, it is not.

3. It polarizes male and female suicide victims. There is no difference.

Suicide is more often than not derived from trauma or some sort of mental disorder, and this show treats it as something that can be chucked up to gender. It is these kinds of uninformed, misguided stereotypes that perpetuate falsehoods about suicide and its victims. To reiterate, suicide is not a result of gender, it is a result of negative mental conditions, and I hate to see this show fall for the trappings of the former. I am disappointed in this show, beyond belief.

Evidence sources:

- https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/n1/pub/82-624-x/2012001/article/11696-eng.htm
- https://globalnews.ca/news/6182575/men-suicide-
- https://afsp.org/suicide-statistics/
- https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/28/asia/japan-suicide-women-covid-dst-intl-hnk/index.html
igiemFeb 3, 2021 12:47 AM
Feb 3, 2021 1:30 AM

Jun 2012
2077 said:
Glordit said:

Honestly, at this stage it's a guessing game until there is actual confirmation.

its pretty implied. i'll show you my reasoning and leave it up to your judgement. although, we'll most likely find out about this stuff next week anyway. regardless, i have 3 examples (including the one i posted before) theres also the scene where she looks in the glass and starts crying, and where when she talks to ai and asks how she looks, she changes the pronoun for herself from "boku" to "watashi". but idk ur free to think whatever u want, in the end its still speculation; im just presenting some reasoning and logic behind my thoughts.

I thought about this too but, it could also be a red herring.

Tall girls can have broad shoulders. The girl she was hugging was basically half her size.

Referring to herself as masculine, as opposed to feminine, could be her way of reinforcing her masculine persona.

My speculation is that; In the flashback with her touching the girls chest and asking Momoe to "touch me" eventually wound up being a confession of sorts. Momoe probably didn't reciprocate because she wasn't interested in being in a relationship with another girl, thus the friend decided to commit suicide.

Now in the present, she decides to dress and act more masculine because she probably feels resentment and guilt towards being the reason behind the friends death.

I do find it interesting seeing how everyone is perceiving different things in the show. Next week can not come fast enough.
Feb 3, 2021 1:34 AM
Apr 2019
Great episode, just like the previous ones.

This scene was wholesome ngl

Acca's pov about suicide was not correct and it was never intended to be correct. I think his thoughts are mostly what society thinks about these girls/suicidal people, and in most cases, those are flawed, sexist and biased.

Momo is a quite interesting character imo.She's kinda androgynous,and doesn't like it when people label her more as a "male". But people around us can be stereotypical.

I don't know how are people getting the idea that she was in love with girls. For me, there was no hint supporting this, rather she looked kinda bothered by everyone's compliment about her handsome appreance.

Also there's a good possibility that Momo is that teacher's daughter or something. Things are gonna get more interesting, I hope.
Sb98Feb 3, 2021 1:37 AM
Feb 3, 2021 1:39 AM
Dec 2018
I really liked the episode, it has so many emotions in it and i like how ai is the link to everyone and i love her phrase
*Now im really mad* xD

Shirase-san said:
I love Momoe's weapon design, and in dream world, penlight is very useful lol, Ai looks cool in this episode.

Somehow I was happy to see the four of them laughing together

WAIT Sawaki ?!

i feel like her weapon is the most useful since it also has that umbrella shield thing and a sharp thing for piercing.

Marinate1016 said:
Another really dark episode, more sexual harassment and a new girl introduced. Sawaki has a lot of trauma which I’m guessing caused her to start dressing like a boy.

I’m starting to understand the dream worlds and eggs more and more with each episode. I definitely see the Madoka vibes now. Also, if you pay attention to the OP, there’s 4 eggs initially, which I assume symbolise the girls. At the end of the op, there’s only one egg left and it begins to crack.

I’m thinking we’re going to be in for a lot of suffering.

On the bright side, animation was awesome today as usual.

damn thats pretty observant of you to notice 4 eggs and 4 girls and now that i think about it, they also have their colours in that sense like yellow is for ai
Feb 3, 2021 1:41 AM
Dec 2018
Sb98 said:
Great episode, just like the previous ones.

This scene was wholesome ngl

Acca's pov about suicide was not correct and it was never intended to be correct. I think his thoughts are mostly what society thinks about these girls/suicidal people, and in most cases, those are flawed, sexist and biased.

Momo is a quite interesting character imo.She's kinda androgynous,and doesn't like it when people label her more as a "male". But people around us can be stereotypical.

I don't know how are people getting the idea that she was in love with girls. For me, there was no hint supporting this, rather she looked kinda bothered by everyone's compliment about her handsome appreance.

Also there's a good possibility that Momo is that teacher's daughter or something. Things are gonna get more interesting, I hope.

There was this instance where momo said "you arent the only one who said you loved me" and there was like a flashback scene and that kinda leads to a particular kind of thinking where one would think that the love they both had for each other is mutual since she is trying to save her you know
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Wonder Egg Priority Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ashhk - Mar 30, 2021

412 by thatgirluwu »»
May 30, 4:40 PM

» 2nd season ?

Aritra_Choudhuri - May 11, 2022

23 by Kizuki01 »»
May 20, 9:27 PM

Poll: » Wonder Egg Priority Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ashhk - Mar 23, 2021

302 by Kizuki01 »»
May 19, 10:58 PM

Poll: » Wonder Egg Priority Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

KANLen09 - Mar 16, 2021

364 by Kizuki01 »»
May 19, 9:36 PM

Poll: » Wonder Egg Priority Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

removed-user - Mar 9, 2021

170 by Kizuki01 »»
May 19, 8:23 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.