Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Dec 9, 2019 5:20 AM
Dec 2019
Erm guys i have 2 qns,

1) Why Thorfinn did not want to return home or at least let the rest of his family know that he is alive?

2) Why did Bjorn duel with Askeladd?

Thank you!
Dec 9, 2019 5:27 AM
Nov 2019
Elefantsau said:
Askeladd321 said:
someone that wants to put their opinion on the internet? No waaaaaaay never seen one of those before to be honest. I’ll do you a favour and delete it since your so concerned about posts with a real point behind it

I don't care about posts with a real point. I just wanted to let you know that you got worked up over a post that wasn't serious at all..
If I had of been worked up, you would’ve seen me swearing and getting angry, the difference was, that I just pointed out my opinion, but I realise that you can’t just put your opinion on the internet without some guy having a problem with it.
Dec 9, 2019 5:40 AM
Dec 2019
Elefantsau said:
OoDeceivedoO said:
Erm guys i have 2 qns,

1) Why Thorfinn did not want to return home or at least let the rest of his family know that he is alive?

Thank you!

1) He puts everyone else aside for his goal(revenge). He is literally blinded by it. He thinks that he can just go back home when his job is done, or he dies trying. Which is why he challenged Askellad right after, despite his own injuries. The duel is probably meant to be final for him either way.

2) Because Bjorn was going to die due his injuries. But to get to Valhalla, a warrior has to die in battle. Not in the bed.

Oh i see... Wow thanks man i feel enlightened now lol.
Dec 9, 2019 5:51 AM
May 2015
I don't know if I'm wrong about this but when Bjorn spoke to Askeladd before they clashed, he spoke about how Askeladd hated all his men including himself, he asked him if it was lonely; in that moment, I didn't just think these words only applied to Askeladd, you can see these traits mirrored in Thorfinn too, driven so much by revenge that it has consumed him.

I just need this anime to stick the landing at it will only be the 2nd anime I give a 10/10 alongside LOTGH.
Please Please stick the landing.

5/5
Dec 9, 2019 6:11 AM

Feb 2014
Poor Lief. He has worked hard for the last 11 years and, by chance, he was finally reunited with Thorfinn, but it wasn't a happy reunion, sadly. Lief begged Thorfinn to go back with him and see his mother and sister, but his words fell on deaf ears as Thorfinn vocally expressed his obsession of wanting to kill Askeladd.

It was a powerful scene overall and further shows just how Thorfinn is consumed by hatred and his unhealthy obsession with revenge.

As for Askeladd, his plans have been set into motion and so far, it's all gone his way. He used a doppelganger to trick the citizens of York that Canute got killed, which has spread rumours throughout the community. Even Sweyn noticed this, too.

The other powerful scene of the episode was between Askeladd and Bjorn. I wasn't expecting the two of them to have a duel, especially when I thought Askeladd was preparing to give Thorfinn another duel. The duel was short and Bjorn was killed by Askeladd's sword. The whole direction of this scene, from the music, visuals and voice acting, was top notch.

Honestly, this episode was fantastic overall. With the way it ended, I have no idea who'll come out on top between Askeladd and Thorfinn. The next episode is going to be pretty powerful...
Dec 9, 2019 6:17 AM

Aug 2009
This episode is perfection.
Dec 9, 2019 6:29 AM
Aug 2019
mayhem1994 said:

I just need this anime to stick the landing at it will only be the 2nd anime I give a 10/10 alongside LOTGH.
Please Please stick the landing.

Without spoiling anything - you are safe, my friend. The ending will blow your expectations out of the water. Stay strong, keep yourself away from the source material and spoilers.
Dec 9, 2019 6:33 AM
Oct 2019
- Leif finally met Thorfinn
- Sad death for Bjorn RIP
Dec 9, 2019 7:01 AM

Dec 2017
Elefantsau said:
OoDeceivedoO said:
Erm guys i have 2 qns,

Thank you!

1) He puts everyone else aside for his goal(revenge). He is literally blinded by it. He thinks that he can just go back home when his job is done, or he dies trying. Which is why he challenged Askellad right after, despite his own injuries. The duel is probably meant to be final for him either way.

2) Because Bjorn was going to die due his injuries. But to get to Valhalla, a warrior has to die in battle. Not in the bed.
A little addition to number one, I think he feels guilty and responsible for his father's death, and he blames himself for that. If it weren't for him, his father would have been alive after the voyage.
He sneaked into the ship without his father and crew knowing, only to later became liability to Thors and taken hostage, which ultimately costed Thors his life in exchange for Thorfinn.
So he thinks he has to exact his revenge on Askeladd first before he can face his mother and sister again to "make up" for his mistake, which is questionable.
I just realized that all of my favorite characters, beside being stunningly beautiful, also happen to be exceptionally skilled murder machines. \('-')/

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Dec 9, 2019 7:04 AM

Dec 2016
MonkeyDHunter said:
Why did they mention Helga's whereabouts but cut out the fact that Ylva is now a mother with both boys and girls?

Maybe for the bigger surprise when we finally see her again?
Manga recommendation:
- Spy x Family (Ch.99/? - biweekly) | Sakamoto Days (Ch.169/? - weekly)
- MARRIAGETOXIN (Ch.89/? - weekly)
- Make the Exorcist Fall in Love (Ch.66/? - biweekly)
- You and I Are Polar Opposites (Ch.55/? - biweekly)
Anime recommendation:
- Deca-Dence (Finished) | Wave, Listen to Me! (Finished)
- If My Favorite Pop Idol Made It to the Budokan, I Would Die (Finished)
- Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater (Finished)
Dec 9, 2019 7:20 AM
Jul 2018
AmarantineAzure said:
operationvalkyri said:
We saw things closely from Bjorn and Askeladd's pov and saw some of the good aspects of Bjorn's nature. But there's no denying he was despicable. He indiscriminately killed and raped people, and not for any noble cause or anything, just for the money (being a pirate and all). No matter how much we see his or Askeladd's 'good sides' we can't be blind to the fact that both have committed atrocious deeds.

Actually, in the beginning of episode 9 Bjorn specifically states he doesn't do it for money. He does it because he enjoys fighting and killing. He's like a mini-Thorkell, really.

But the fact that both he and Askeladd are ruthless killers doesn't make their final scene in this episode any less powerful and moving. If anything it makes it more so, because it really highlights the tragic nature of their existence — in the end, even these fearsome vikings are, deep down, desperate for some form of connection amidst a stark world that has fooled men into believing fulfillment as a human being is to be found in a life of violence and murder.
Yup I agree with you as is stated in my original post (that that scene was moving.)
Dec 9, 2019 7:22 AM

Dec 2016
electromagneto said:
Elefantsau said:

A little addition to number one, I think he feels guilty and responsible for his father's death, and he blames himself for that. If it weren't for him, his father would have been alive after the voyage.
He sneaked into the ship without his father and crew knowing, only to later became liability to Thors and taken hostage, which ultimately costed Thors his life in exchange for Thorfinn.
So he thinks he has to exact his revenge on Askeladd first before he can face his mother and sister again to "make up" for his mistake, which is questionable.

for clarification, Thors from the get-go* was planning to sacrifice himself. If not Askeladd intervention Thors would went to war by himself and get killed on battlefield.

*finally after so many years I learned how to write this word. :D
Nieznajomy43Dec 9, 2019 7:37 AM
Manga recommendation:
- Spy x Family (Ch.99/? - biweekly) | Sakamoto Days (Ch.169/? - weekly)
- MARRIAGETOXIN (Ch.89/? - weekly)
- Make the Exorcist Fall in Love (Ch.66/? - biweekly)
- You and I Are Polar Opposites (Ch.55/? - biweekly)
Anime recommendation:
- Deca-Dence (Finished) | Wave, Listen to Me! (Finished)
- If My Favorite Pop Idol Made It to the Budokan, I Would Die (Finished)
- Diary of Our Days at the Breakwater (Finished)
Dec 9, 2019 8:15 AM

Feb 2019
Amazing episode.

I was surprised by that assassination attempt. I thought Askeladd had executed the plan without Canute's knowledge. It was sad that the slave who took Canute's place died. No wonder Canute told Askeladd never to use another double, since letting the slave die is against his ideal to build a paradise on earth. But Gunnar that damned traitor. Ragnar was so loyal and was basically Canute's father figure, and Gunnar is betraying him. But Askeladd is playing him like a fiddle.

After 11 years, Leif has finally found Thorfinn. Honestly I didn't like how Thorfinn didn't even ask about his mother and sister. It's like only Thors (his father) mattered, and the rest of his family doesn't matter at all, especially hearing that his mother is ill. It was heartbreaking to see Leif finally finding Thorfinn after all these years and seeing him change into such a battle-hardened and vengeful individual. I wonder what he meant, whether he's going to wait in York all the way until this series ends and Thorfinn goes to (presumably) Vinland. I hope his mother will still be alive by then.

That last battle was the best and saddest scene in this episode in my opinion. I didn't much like Bjorn, or more accurately I was apathetic to him. But it was sad to see that he knew that Askeladd hated them all all along, and yet he kept fighting for Askeladd even when everyone else turned their backs on him. I was initially already angry at Askeladd that he didn't say anything when Bjorn said he wanted to be his friend. But when, as Bjorn lay dying, he said, "Bjor, you're my only friend."

Damn. That was a very sad moment and happy at the same time because Askeladd found it in himself to consider a Dane a friend. And it's well-deserved.

Askeladd killed him according to Bjorn's wishes. Bjorn, as a Viking, wouldn't want to die off the battlefield. It was the greatest act that Askeladd could've done to fulfill Bjorn's wishes.

Awesome episode. 5/5. Looking forward to the next episode.
Dec 9, 2019 8:55 AM

Feb 2014
This episode had the most heartbreaking partings and the reunion. RIP Bjorn and the body double.
When someone asks me why I like anime, I'd say Just Because.

Dec 9, 2019 9:20 AM

Jan 2012
MonkeyDHunter said:
Why did they mention Helga's whereabouts but cut out the fact that Ylva is now a mother with both boys and girls? Also, it seems they cannot show nipples in the show either since in the manga the woman who impersonated Canute had her chest full shown too.

Putting aside these complaints, it was a fantastic episode with Bjorn having a sad yet amazing sendoff and Askeladd also admiting he considered to be his only one true friend in the world. Changing the order of events didn't really have any effect to the whole thing. It's still as amazing as it was in the manga.

Yeah, it did bother me to that they cut out the mention of Ylva being mother and all. I like to think though that they maybe cut it out because they wanted her situation to come as a surprise later on if another season would come out after this.
How I love a game
Dec 9, 2019 10:03 AM
Oct 2017
Another lovable episode after a while. Bjorn's death seems to have some effect on Thorfinn.
Dec 9, 2019 10:28 AM

Nov 2015
Someone can explain a bit more about the confrontation about Bjorn and Askeladd. Why does Bjorn say/think Askeladd hates him? Because he is danish?

Maybe the answer is gonna be straightforward but im just curious, i want to understand it completely
Dec 9, 2019 10:52 AM

May 2016
That ended so fast poor slave rip...

Bjorn is dead... now only Askeladd left... I actually never hated Bjorn despite his crazy behaviors.

Flokki is outwitted every time haha, seeing that disgusting face of his pissed off is best thing ever.
Dec 9, 2019 10:53 AM

Nov 2019
Admiral_Carapils said:
Someone can explain a bit more about the confrontation about Bjorn and Askeladd. Why does Bjorn say/think Askeladd hates him? Because he is danish?

Askeladd did tell his band he hated them and called them worthless Danes, so yes, that's part of it. But there's also the fact that Bjorn has always been hurt by Askeladd keeping him at arm's length and never sharing anything with him, as we see in episode 13.

Put those two things together, and Bjorn probably assumed he was included in Askeladd's declaration of hatred towards his Danish men. But Askeladd's response might mean Bjorn was the sole exception, the one man Askeladd truly did see as a friend. The only one he ever had.
Dec 9, 2019 11:02 AM

Sep 2008
I should really stop being surprised by this anime by now. Week after week 20 minutes fly by like it's seconds, yet next week I'm shocked once again by how great it is.

Third duel, right? Thorfinn still seems to get angered too fast whenever his father is mentioned, don't think he'll manage to win this one.
Dec 9, 2019 11:27 AM
Nov 2018
Rest in Peace Bjorn. That was a good death though. He was also quite an entertaining character to watch...
Yasuhiro-Dec 9, 2019 11:41 AM

"Self respect is the greatest gift we can give to our self"

Dec 9, 2019 11:38 AM

Oct 2017
RIP Bjorn.

The reunion with Leif and Thorfinn went exactly as I thought it would. He doesn’t care much about anything besides killing askeladd.
Dec 9, 2019 11:51 AM
Jun 2015
Modernoir said:
God, rewatching it, man Bjorn's death and duel with Askeladd was powerful, one of the most powerful scenes I've seen in anime for this year. Everything about it, the direction, the art, the superb voice acting and MAN the music after the killing blow. What a fantastic series. Fuck I think I'm going to jump straight into the manga now.
No you better wait.
Dec 9, 2019 12:12 PM

Dec 2015
Those last couple episodes of Vinland Saga are fenomenal. If it keep this quality, I can solid confirm it being my 3rd best show of this year
Dec 9, 2019 12:27 PM

Aug 2011
What an ep! Great animation, and great plot and overall vision on love x friendship.
I'm really looking forward the next one
Dec 9, 2019 12:35 PM
Jul 2018
I loved the 1st half where Thorfinn temporarily meets with Leif. Because Leif had enough screentime and a likeable personality in the first few episodes, I think it was kinda emotional to see his sadness over how much Thorfinn changed. Not only that, but it also showed how Thorfinn's so obsessed with revenge, that he refuses to go back to his home, even when one of the people closest to him years ago comes for him. I can't help but think there's some subtext behind Thorfinn asking Leif about Vinland: as though the idea of Vinland has become the one thing that has helped him cope with all his years of Hell. Maybe I'm overthinking it, but I can't help but think that Thorfinn yelling about killing Askeladd was, in some ways, him crying for help? I mean think about it, he's been wanting to kill Askeladd for 11 years, you'd think he would at least not yell like a madman about it at this point?

The 2nd half where Askeladd kills Bjorn...despite the atmosphere, the great music, I don't think any of us gave half a damn about Bjorn dying. He had almost no screentime throughout the whole anime, so I have no clue why the creator thought that killing him off would have any impact. Although I did like Askeladd's expression right after Bjorn dies: it coneys his anger towards himself, and his grief for his friend. It would've been a lot more cliche to have Askeladd just cry, or even yell.
Dec 9, 2019 12:39 PM

Nov 2015
AmarantineAzure said:
Admiral_Carapils said:

Askeladd did tell his band he hated them and called them worthless Danes, so yes, that's part of it. But there's also the fact that Bjorn has always been hurt by Askeladd keeping him at arm's length and never sharing anything with him, as we see in episode 13.

Put those two things together, and Bjorn probably assumed he was included in Askeladd's declaration of hatred towards his Danish men. But Askeladd's response might mean Bjorn was the sole exception, the one man Askeladd truly did see as a friend. The only one he ever had.

Makes perfect sense, thanks for the information!
Dec 9, 2019 1:45 PM

Oct 2017
They changed the order of a bunch of chapters here and there but I guess it's for the better
Dec 9, 2019 1:47 PM

Oct 2013
Bjorn died as a true warrior - during the fight. And what's more, he also heard from Askeladd directly that he was considered his friend.

Askeladd proved again he is a true chad. Damn, I wouldn't be surprised if he literally destroyed himself just for the sake of Canute's future as a king. His abilities to plan, calculate and to sacrifice are great and complex.

Beautiful episode, as always.
Dec 9, 2019 2:49 PM

Aug 2014
>people still responding to the obvious shounen fan parody account's bait posts every week
never change, MAL

I've gotta hand it to the staff, this adaptation is better than I could've ever hoped for. It's been a while since I've read VS and I'm being reminded why I love it so much and why Askeladd is the best "antagonist" I've seen in all of anime/manga. The anime has been on a streak of perfect episodes for a long time now, now to wrap this up, here's hoping they handle the remaining episodes just as well as they have so far.
Dec 9, 2019 2:57 PM

Aug 2017
Askeladd was great in this episode but damn that double of Canute got murdered.
Seeing Bjorn killed was kind of unsettling since that was Askeladd's only one he considers his friend.

Seeing Leif in the beginning was kind of nerve wrecking as well but it was nice to see him notice the changes that has happened to Thorfinn. The sweet lovable boy he once knew is now seeking out vengeance and blood.
ViewedDec 9, 2019 3:12 PM
Dec 9, 2019 3:01 PM
Aug 2019
RealTheAbsurdist said:
The 2nd half where Askeladd kills Bjorn...despite the atmosphere, the great music, I don't think any of us gave half a damn about Bjorn dying.
I actually think people care about Bjorn more than they did Ragnar who most disliked. But I myself, consider Bjorn's words to be more important than his death, per se. It's possible the mangaka wanted to draw even greater parralel between Askelaad & Thorfinn, who I thought of when I heard Bjorn ask if Askelaad was lonely. I think Bjorn's words carry weight because he's been with Askelaad the longest. And it's hard for me to believe that sort of emotion from an unabashed killer like Bjorn outside of his final moments.
Dec 9, 2019 3:13 PM
Jul 2018
najumobi said:
RealTheAbsurdist said:
The 2nd half where Askeladd kills Bjorn...despite the atmosphere, the great music, I don't think any of us gave half a damn about Bjorn dying.
I actually think people care about Bjorn more than they did Ragnar who most disliked. But I myself, consider Bjorn's words to be more important than his death, per se. It's possible the mangaka wanted to draw even greater parralel between Askelaad & Thorfinn, who I thought of when I heard Bjorn ask if Askelaad was lonely. I think Bjorn's words carry weight because he's been with Askelaad the longest. And it's hard for me to believe that sort of emotion from an unabashed killer like Bjorn outside of his final moments.

Yeah, I agree. Now that you point it out, I think the writer set up Bjorn's death for his words, as well as to show a more sympathetic side to Askeladd. Why did people dislike Ragnar though? He was one of the only characters in this anime (so far) who can be considered a 100% good guy.
Dec 9, 2019 9:41 PM

Jul 2017
Descending into York, Canute's attempts to overthrow King Sweyn gets underway. And Askeladd's attempt to expose by getting the double killed was snively while making a pretentious fuss about it. All to capture King Sweyn's attention in a war of consent and conceit.

But this experience for Leif, to see Thorfinn be well after the omission of his father Thors, isn't the same Thorfinn as before. The sweet little child is no more the same, only breathing revenge and retaliation.

For Bjorn though, after Askeladd sending Atli off, his only hateful but faithful friend and comrade left, even though he's injured. But before that, the duel between Thorfinn and Askeladd to resume, Bjorn took Thorfinn's place to finish what he started.

RIP to the one and only friend of Askeladd, Bjorn, who fought with him all the way to his demise.

Very emotional episode that still hurts the heart hard, a face we'll never forget for time to come. Plus the rearrangement of the manga is a taste that's all too sweet that only elevates this experience.
KANLen09Dec 9, 2019 9:44 PM
Dec 9, 2019 11:08 PM
Aug 2017
Im amazed how relationships work in this anime, its so complicated lmao
Dec 10, 2019 12:26 AM

Nov 2019
lostinexistence said:
They changed the order of a bunch of chapters here and there but I guess it's for the better

Yeah, the reordering has worked out well enough, even though it does create a couple of minor issues.

Dec 10, 2019 2:17 AM

Jun 2014
This show is so effin' good.
Dec 10, 2019 5:19 AM
May 2016
shane_nichols said:
Modernoir said:
God, rewatching it, man Bjorn's death and duel with Askeladd was powerful, one of the most powerful scenes I've seen in anime for this year. Everything about it, the direction, the art, the superb voice acting and MAN the music after the killing blow. What a fantastic series. Fuck I think I'm going to jump straight into the manga now.
No you better wait.

I couldn't help myself. I did it. All I can say now is that this season is going to end in a fucking absolutely fantastic way if they pace things correctly, god damn, this series is a gem.
Dec 10, 2019 12:35 PM

Jan 2018
The last scene, a manly tear was shed.
What a beautiful Duwang
Dec 10, 2019 2:06 PM
EOussama

Dec 2016
So much is happening. This is an interesting ideology, I find it very odd that two pirates who raped, pillaged and killed innocent lives can sometimes emit innocent emotions themselves, I guess everybody has even a faint atom of goodwill.
Dec 10, 2019 6:28 PM
Feb 2019
Okay, I just had a mental breakdown, Bjorn's death came out of nowhere to me, I didn't expect it at all even though it was obvious, Bjorn was a character that I really respected around episodes 10s, and he entrained me, I just really liked him and wanted to see more of him, so when he appeared in front of Askeladd with his sword I was in denial and that wasn't enough, all of what he said to Askeladd broke my heart, I felt bad for Askeladd because of how Bjorn was right about him being alone but then Bjorn continued his talk... "I wanted to be a friend of you" i bursted into tears, they never stopped while he was talking... I'm just glad Askeladd comforted him by saying that he was his only friend... And I understand that Bjorn was gonna die anyway so he preferred to die in Askeladd's hands, and it's a shame to die in bad but still that was soooo sad, I'm sure his death is meant to be so important because everything he said carries weight on Askeladd's character.

Incredible episode, this scene just showed the true value of this show.

Also, Leif and Thorfinn's reunion was soooo nice, I was so happy but Thorfinn pissed me off, I understand how far he changed and I do feel for his tragic fate but seriously you don't care about your mother and sister? I just feel bad for Leif who spent 11 years searchings for him so it can end like that.

VS is doing great.
Dec 10, 2019 6:33 PM
Feb 2019
RealTheAbsurdist said:
The 2nd half where Askeladd kills Bjorn...despite the atmosphere, the great music, I don't think any of us gave half a damn about Bjorn dying. He had almost no screentime throughout the whole anime, so I have no clue why the creator thought that killing him off would have any impact. Although I did like Askeladd's expression right after Bjorn dies: it coneys his anger towards himself, and his grief for his friend. It would've been a lot more cliche to have Askeladd just cry, or even yell.

How do you feel assuming such a thing? can't you see the replies? many cared for Bjorn, heck I cried for him even! he was a character I liked and I just couldn't get over the fact that he really wanted to be a real friend of Askeladd, he was to me the most likable character in the show, and even though Ragnar was a nice guy and I felt sorry for him but it didn't hit me like Bjorn nor it was as powerful as Bjorn's death, Bjorn's death was really heartbroken not only him dying but his words 💔💔 I can't get over it
Dec 10, 2019 6:49 PM
Jul 2018
crybabynes said:
RealTheAbsurdist said:

How do you feel assuming such a thing? can't you see the replies? many cared for Bjorn, heck I cried for him even! he was a character I liked and I just couldn't get over the fact that he really wanted to be a real friend of Askeladd, he was to me the most likable character in the show, and even though Ragnar was a nice guy and I felt sorry for him but it didn't hit me like Bjorn nor it was as powerful as Bjorn's death, Bjorn's death was really heartbroken not only him dying but his words 💔💔 I can't get over it

I honestly think the only reason people cared for Bjorn is because the way he died: the dramatic music, the atmosphere. He barely had any screen presence, nor was he even a likeable character. If Thorkell died, I think that would have had a lot more emotional impact for people.
Dec 10, 2019 7:01 PM
Feb 2019
RealTheAbsurdist said:
crybabynes said:

I honestly think the only reason people cared for Bjorn is because the way he died: the dramatic music, the atmosphere. He barely had any screen presence, nor was he even a likeable character. If Thorkell died, I think that would have had a lot more emotional impact for people.

Personally, no, i myself was a fan of Bjorn and I get happy seeing him in the screen, and I only cried when he started talking, there was no music then, and that made me remember all the scenes about Bjorn choosing to stay behind Askeladd because he wanted, and that he never got to know the real Askeladd so him saying "you rejected everyone, don't you feel lonely.... I wanted to be a friend of you..." THE FEELS THIS IS SO SAD, I don't like Thorkell that much because I don't care about the fighting and Thorkell's scenes has been always fighting scenes, I only started to like him when he joined Canute and started to intreact with Askeladd, there where I really wanted more of him with Askeladd and the others, these intreactions are what make me care about a character.

However, RIP to Bjorn, he was a true warrior who decided to die between his only friend's hands.
Dec 11, 2019 2:15 AM

Nov 2019
RealTheAbsurdist said:

His amazing death scene does obviously elevate his character to heights he would have never reached otherwise (and it's his scene so why give all the merit to the music or whatever? You could say that about any character and scene, really), but no, there was already plenty to like about Bjorn beforehand. I'll give you that he's a relatively low-key character, and he obviously doesn't get much as screentime as Thorfinn, Askeladd, Canute or Thorkell, so I can understand if you missed these things, but if you pay close attention, he has a lot of great little moments and a subtle character arc that make him a pretty interesting and likable character. And a tragic one too.

In episode 11 we see that he's trying to understand what Askeladd's thinking and planning for Canute, but Askeladd won't open himself up with him, which shows there's a distance between them which hurts Bjorn:

In episode 13 this is shown explicitly in this great scene where Bjorn shows how wounded he is that, even after being together for decades, Askeladd still won't tell him anything about himself. This scene is directly building up their final scene together:

In this scene, Torgrim goes on to say he doesn't care if he doesn't know much about Askeladd as long as he keeps guiding them to great riches and success, but Bjorn clearly doesn't relate to that, because that's not the reason he follows Askeladd.

In episode 16, Bjorn gives a simple yet touching response when Askeladd asks him why he's been following him for all those years:

He just wanted to be with the man he admired, respected and cared for the most.

In episode 17, Bjorn's loyalty is truly tested when the entire band turns on Askeladd, but he makes it clear that he's Askeladd's man through and through, come hell or high water:

Such unconditional loyalty is a quality most people appreciate, so it's no wonder a lot of people like his character (as seen in this thread).

Then there's the just plain awesome moment of his badass declaration of war to the traitors who ruined the band Bjorn had been part of for over a decade:

And his berserker fighting style is obviously quite a spectable to behold.

And yet, even after he was fatally wounded in that fight, Bjorn showed in this latest episode that, unlike Thorfinn, he will never hold a grudge for something that happens in battle, which is another charming quality of his:

He also has a lot of other cool or funny little moments scattered throughout the show, like in the first episode we see him, where he throws a lance at a man Floki had hidden and then fist bumps Askeladd:

Or when Askeladd is trying unsuccessfully to get Thorfinn and Canute to get along, and Bjorn finds it hilarious and cracks up in the background:

If you ever rewatch or read this arc, try to pay closer attention to moments like these and you'll see that Bjorn is actually a pretty enjoyable and nuanced character. Especially with the hindsight his death scene gives you that what he really wanted all along wasn't riches like the rest of Askeladd's band, or even the thrill of battle — he just wanted to be a true friend to Askeladd. But due to the way Askeladd keeps everyone at arm's length and never lets anyone in his private inner world, Bjorn felt rejected and lonely, and was carrying those feelings all his life (hence him being a tragic character), until it all culminated in this profoundly touching final scene between them, where he was finally able to have some peace in his dying moments, with Askeladd recognizing that Bjorn was indeed his friend. The only one he ever had.
Dec 11, 2019 2:27 AM

Jun 2013
Bjorn's death was so sad in the Anime compared to the manga. For some reason, when he died in the manga, I didn't really care much. However, with his voice actor, the desperation in his voice acting, the music, atmosphere, etc. it hit me. Even Canute's female decoy's death was just "okay" in the manga, I saw her as background character. I don't know her life story, name or anything but when she died, knowing she's a slave, hearing her pant trying desperately to live, it also hit me. There were moments when I teared up in the manga but that won't happen until probably the second season.
臭い-
Dec 11, 2019 3:14 AM
Sep 2017
Honestly that episode hit me hard, damn.
Dec 11, 2019 8:10 AM

Jul 2016
MonkeyDHunter said:
Why did they mention Helga's whereabouts but cut out the fact that Ylva is now a mother with both boys and girls?

Out of curiosity, did she marry the guy that had a crush on her during the first episodes? I honestly hope she didn't but well.
Dec 11, 2019 8:13 AM

Sep 2014
SouthRzVa said:
MonkeyDHunter said:

Out of curiosity, did she marry the guy that had a crush on her during the first episodes? I honestly hope she didn't but well.

Dec 11, 2019 8:22 AM

Jul 2016
MonkeyDHunter said:
SouthRzVa said:

Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

804 by Xeehad »»
Jun 9, 12:47 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 1, 2019

175 by Xeehad »»
Jun 9, 7:51 AM

» Mulanjyou sounds different on Apple Music

Raionshin19 - Jun 3

20 by Raionshin19 »»
Jun 6, 8:19 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

272 by MainAxe9880 »»
Jun 5, 3:00 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

167 by MainAxe9880 »»
Jun 5, 2:28 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.