3It was OK
4.5%
2Disliked it
1.5%
1Hated it
1.5%
Average 4.7
4,219 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Mar 6, 2023 8:00 AM

Nov 2011
That dream Thorfinn experienced looked surreal. I mean, seeing Thor....that's not something he'd experience everyday.

I'm impressed by the emotional context of this episode between their interactions. In fact, I think this was an emotional episode altogether from Thorfinn's point of view. Everything up to this point in his life has been a reality in the viking world. On a technical level, the music was incredible this episode. 

Jun 2019
One of the most anticipated episodes of Vinland Saga is here and it was done so well. Thorfinn going through it all once again and his regret shows it all. Love seeing Askeladd and Bjorn once again and Thors as well. Thorfinn, you have no enemies. Even after their death, they're teaching Thorfinn to live. But, at the same time, it was pretty sad to see Thorfinn emotional like that.

I think this is finally the time for Thorfinn to let it go and move on and be reborn as a new person. That was a really good episode once again. Vinland Saga has been doing incredible so far and I'm here for it. Yutaka Yamada's greatness was also nice to see in this episode once again.

May 2020
In all honesty it would've been something else if the life Thorfinn was living until now was just a long bad dream. But that’s only an “if”, neither can he run away from his mistakes nor can undo his wrongdoings, that’s just the weight of sins he cumulated over the years. May his father was there to tell him he has no enemies, when he needed those words most. As for what it is now, it’s the souls of the dead hanging on up to him and pulling him down to hell itself.

GOAT Askeladd making an appearance in Thorfinn’s nightmare and welcoming him with a long time greeting was just as epic as it could've been. Though there was something even more epic than this, him persuading Thorfinn to move forward and to never forget the faces and tears of those whom he has killed over the years and to become a “True Warrior” like his father would’ve wished for.. a warrior who doesn’t need violence as his tool. Five minutes of screentime and GOAT stole the episode.

There was a reason this episode’s title was “Oath”. It was in Thorfinn’s honour of making a promise with himself of NEVER resorting to the ways of violence, to be reborn as a person who’ll atone for his sins.

Greatness awaits us in the later half of the second part, but nothing is going to top this episode for the time being. Also good to see those retainers getting what they fucking deserved.
Mar 6, 2023 8:53 AM
Feb 2019
absolutely peak, best episode
Mar 6, 2023 9:00 AM

Jul 2017
Thorfinn awakened in a dream, and compared to Einar fighting the retainers off, it was a momentary W for the slaves.

Thorfinn's dream sequence was tranquil, that's until his father Thors arrives to beset the nightmare within him, that he didn't start as one to have enemies, and the sword that was meant to protect him, became a device for killing. That said, the nightmare is just as disturbing, if not even more so than the manga to depict Valhalla becoming a killing spree, featuring Bjorn and Askeladd.

The welcome message from the GOAT himself to converse with Thorfinn about the material life, the purest form of war where there are no W nor friends, and that everyone except themselves are enemies. All the fallen warriors like Bjorn were vested with the promise of being warriors, only sent to death of their own honour. And Thorfinn finding himself back in this place to admit of his sins and regressions with the dead corpses coming back to haunt him, having been killed under his hand as long as he lived, and this was his karma coming back to bite him of his regrets. Askeladd, having seen his emotional side, encourages him to keep climbing out of the pits, the sign to become a true warrior, and that's to be his way of life as he resurrects from his unconsciousness.

Filling with the regrets of his own life, Thorfinn admitting to Einar that all of his life that's subjected to violence, killing both relevant and innocent people, he's finally done with that. To reborn and atone for his sins, to fight the true battle living within him alongside Einar, with their punishments written off thanks to Pater with Ketil's persuasion.

Phenomenal episode, really. So much emotion that the episode feels like 5 mins.
Mar 6, 2023 9:00 AM

May 2021
OMG.
Best episode so far. It was also animated so well. Askeladd "comeback" was something that put smile on my face.
The fight with Thorfinn inner demons was great.
Mar 6, 2023 9:01 AM

Jan 2021
what a great episode 
when Thorfinn cried I cried too 
Mar 6, 2023 9:02 AM

Jan 2019
Words cannot describe how fucking emotional I am right now. Absolute masterpiece of an episode, that part where Thorfinn killed Einar was the best shit I've ever seen in anime, and the Valhalla scene. OH MY GOD. THE THORFINN CRY, MY HEART... I am keeping this at a 10 for certain right now, absolutely phenomenal work from the team here.
Mar 6, 2023 9:09 AM
Jan 2020
I really hate how it feels like the episode is only 5 seconds. I love how I can completely emerge into this world. The way the portray this character and have himself being rebuilt from scratch. The way the actions have consequences and no deed goes unnoticed. This to me is a great anime in fact I would say it’s a masterpiece. I’ve seen many anime but none can give me the emotions and desperations of the character like Vindland Saga.
Mar 6, 2023 9:11 AM

Oct 2017
Great episode!

They animated thorfinn’s dream so well!
Mar 6, 2023 9:12 AM

Apr 2013
Finally chapter 71 is adapted; one of the best chapters of Vinland Saga and the team at MAPPA delivered making it also one of the best episode so far over the past 2 seasons. Valhalla scene was chef's kiss.

Still miss Askeladd to this day, what a character.

Reborn Thorfinn enters.
Mar 6, 2023 9:14 AM
Oct 2016
Thorfinn true battle has now begun. The battle to escape this pit he's stuck himself in. Climbing out of the pit of despair is a hard thing to do but its what Thorfinn must if he wants to be reborn. Thorfinn having that dream of seeing his father was so emotional. Thors confronting his son about who he's killed. Reiterating what he tried to tell Thorfinn just before all this chaos happened, you have no enemies. No one does, no one has any reason to hurt another. Thors idea of pacifism is echoing in Thorfinn head now at the bottom of this pit. Seeing the hellish landscape at the depths of this pit looked like a real nightmare. Never ending war and battle, fighting everyone around you with constant enemies. Being lost in such a place is definitely the worst case scenario. Thorfinn got some solid advice from Askeladd of all people. Telling the young man to climb, even if the guilt and the demons you carry are stuck to your sides you climb! I teared up hearing that, its about an inspirational as a story can be. Thorfinn has to climb no matter what, climb yourself out of the depths of sadness and pain. Lean on those around you to help like Thorfinn has been doing with Einar. Be reborn and start fresh.  Glad to see things settled on the farm with the retainers having to swallow the loss and the boys back to work getting strong for their next chance to harvest.
Mar 6, 2023 9:14 AM
Sep 2020
i cant tell you how i felt when i watched this episode.. just watch yourself.
peakland saga
Mar 6, 2023 9:16 AM

Jan 2009
Thorfinn is reborn as a pacifist now

nice to see Askeladd again

Mar 6, 2023 9:17 AM
Jun 2022
It's so amazing. 🔥🔥🔥
Mar 6, 2023 9:18 AM

Mar 2020
Now, folks, that's what cinema feels like.

Well, that was Thorfinn's oath, swearing off violence forever, he's certainly following in Thors' footsteps, and it was a beautiful process. The surreal dream, Askeladd telling Thorfinn to move forward, and far away from the hell of being a warrior that mindlessly kills. Even with these regrets that Thorfinn has weighing him down, the imagery of climbing up the abyss back to the surface signals that he has let his past go, to become a reborn man. He confides in Einar, and he is accepted. Good karma comes their way as well as they go unpunished for their punches against the retainers.

A brilliantly directed episode, and I can't stress that enough. The OST, the animation, the emotions, all done to perfection. The best episode of the entire series so far, including the entire first season. Can't wait to see where we go from here.
Mar 6, 2023 9:20 AM
Jan 2021
this entire episode felt like 5 mins .. mann i hate to wait an enitre week to watch the next episode now .. 
Mar 6, 2023 9:21 AM

Apr 2014
This will be an interesting battle for Thorfinn. Being told to climb out and keep going. I don’t know how long he can sway off or stay away from violence for long. But I look forward to see someone where he will go as a new reborn person. And become a “True Warrior” which is something I am looking forward to see.
Mar 6, 2023 9:23 AM
Oct 2019
Beautiful episode. Watching Thorfinn at his lowest point was incredibly emotional but what was even better was watching him overcome his past.

One of the best episodes in anime ever. 10/10. Music, Animation, everything was amazing. Mappa has absolutely nailed this adaptation.
Mar 6, 2023 9:25 AM

Dec 2020
The dream where thorfinn was at the beginning harmful with the sheep and his father but then he just realized he can’t running away from his self.
Nice that he is now himself who has accepted his circumstances.
P O S I T I V E V I B E Sシ

Mar 6, 2023 9:27 AM

Oct 2022
Thorfinn learning through the hard way that the nobody is anyone's enemy on the battlefield and there meaningless hatred drive them towards their misery.
Mar 6, 2023 9:37 AM
May 2021
Hands down Vinland Saga is one of the best written piece of manga to be ever made. Peak ep & soo emotional 😭Mangaka is a legend.
Mar 6, 2023 9:38 AM
Aug 2016
I did not expect that my eyes would get wet and I would see Thorfinn crying. Man, that was a really good and emotional episode, probably the best S2 has offered so far. 

The full episode is more or less just Thorfinn's dream. It starts with conversation between Thorfinn and Thors. Thors once again reminds an important thing to Thorfinn:

"You don't have enemies. Nobody has any enemies."

The landscape then proceeds to the depths of cliffs, where all the dead warriors gather together and endlessly kill each other over and over and over again. Thorfinn is clinging to the very end of the gap, just one slip away from falling down in the red hellish river, where all the bloodshed is going on. In comes the GOAT Askeladd, he explains Thorfinn that it is not Valhalla, but 'purest form of battle'. We observe that Bjorn is a part of them. Then, a swarm of ghoulish, zombie like people accumulate on each other like a tower and ascend towards Thorfinn. These are the people that Thorfinn killed. He initially pushes them away, but when Askeladd tells him they are saying something, it makes Thorfinn emotional. He said that he did not know when he killed them and he is sorry for that. Truly a powerful moment imo, I would never have believed that this is Thorfinn way back in S1. Askeladd helps Thorfinn and encourages him to climb, which is his real battle. If my understanding is correct, climbing all the way to the top is basically a metaphor for atoning for his sins of killing so many innocent people. Thorfinn, encouraged climbs and the dream ends. He picks up Einar and walks together with him. He once again cries, and this time says something even more powerful:

"Einar, I've used these hands to kill so many people. People no different from you family... People whose names I didn't know. People who I bore no grudge against. And today, I struck another person. But, it ends now. I'll never hurt anyone again. As of today, I am swearing off violence. I'm going to be reborn. I need to be reborn and start atoning for what I've done."

Folks, this is how you do character development. I don't care honestly if anyone calls Season 2 slow or not as fast as Season 1 or whatever. The slow pacing is compensated by strong emotional moments like this. And finally, Thorfinn is starting to look like the main character and not just Askeladd or Einar. Continuing on, thanks to Pater both Thorfinn and Einar go unscathed by their fight with retainers, without any punishment. Thorfinn, with a new fire in his eyes continues to work on. I think at this point, it does deserve a higher score than 9.5. I think I will give it 9.6 or 9.7 for now. 

Next episode is focused on Canute, titled "The cursed head". I like how after so much intense buildup they just shift focus to Canute, and bring back focus to Thorfinn and Einar's farm life. It's a great way to change pace and progress story of both the parties. 

5/5 episode, without any hesitation.
Mar 6, 2023 9:48 AM
Apr 2021
PEAK CINEMATOGRAPHY🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥 this was truly one of the best episodes to come out all this season, I was anticipating this episode for a long time bc the manga was just too fucking good😫 MAPPA nailed everything from the detailing in the eyes to everything in Valhalla and Askeladd making an appearance brought a tear to my eye especially when he told Thorfinn to keep climbing🥹🔥🔥🔥🔥
Mar 6, 2023 9:55 AM

Aug 2018
No wonder Thorfinn has become depressed if he has such hardcore nightmares all the time.
Mar 6, 2023 9:56 AM

Jul 2017
It was beautiful, literally made me speechles. Thorfinn's dream is so well done. I'll just let this beautiful scene talk.
Mar 6, 2023 10:00 AM
Jul 2021
Thorfinn going buck wild with his imagination lmao.
Anyways jokes aside, askeladd is simply one of the best written antagonist, .
Great episode.
Mar 6, 2023 10:02 AM

Jan 2018
Oh, man. The way Thorfinn's dream turned into a nightmare. The whole scene was a masterpiece. This is the best episode (so far).
Mar 6, 2023 10:05 AM
Sep 2018
Amazing! This episode was the best so far!
Mar 6, 2023 10:07 AM

May 2020
amazing ep 
askledd is the goat
and I'm guessing we get to see more of Canute judging for the preview 

also idk if I like what thorfinns become now....

nonetheless enjoyed this ep a lot and cant wait for the next one

Mar 6, 2023 10:09 AM
Sep 2022
I really don't know how to write a review or thoughts, i just want to say that it's a heart wrenching episode.
Mar 6, 2023 10:10 AM

Jul 2020
"I'm going to be reborn. I need to be reborn and start atoning for everything I've done."

This is a masterclass episode and I would go far to say that this is THE best episode of the entire series.  Everything, and I mean, EVERYTHING clicks here. The visuals, the voice acting, the cinematography & the framing of Thornfinn's dream.  This episode really delves deep into Thornfinn's regrets with all the killings that he did. Not knowing who, where, when or even why he killed all the people that he killed. Askeladd (GOAT) telling Thorfinn to move on and that it shouldn't define him gives him the power to change. I love how this episode also says that there is more than one way of being a warrior. Brute strength and overpowering your enemies can make someone a warrior, but in Thorfinn's case, is having the mental strength, the courage and the willpower to not only change but to also have the strength and willpower to let go. 

The emotions, the excellent visuals and the OST convey everything so perfectly, my favourite episode from this season and probably the best of the series including S1.
Mar 6, 2023 10:10 AM

Jul 2015
There has not been a single episode of vinland saga s2 that hasn't been peak.. and this one was no exception..

The emotions, the scenery, the atmosphere.. and the brutality of Thorfinn's nature.. shit man...

this shit is goaty..
Mar 6, 2023 10:15 AM

Jan 2011
this might ve been the best Vinland Saga episode yet, that aside, swearing off violence? that sounds impossible in this situation but well see
Mar 6, 2023 10:15 AM
Mar 2020
never has farm work meant so much
Mar 6, 2023 10:19 AM

Jun 2014
This is truly what peak is. Just wow. A heartbreaking, breathtaking masterpiece of an episode. All of those nameless people Thorfinn killed, people against whom he bore no personal grudge, came back to haunt him, and all our MC could do was cry tears of regret. 

And who was the one to snap him back to his senses and pull him out of his lowest point?  How fitting, none other than THE GOAT, MY GOAT, ASKELADD WOOOOO!!!! This episode reminded me how much I truly love and miss Askeladd in this show. What a treat to see him again.  

This whole season so far has shown us how tormented Thorfinn is because of his past, now it finally feels like he's able to move on and strive to be a better human. Give Thorfinn's VA every award while we're at it. Absolutely incredible episode. Peakland Saga, enough said. 
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Mar 6, 2023 10:21 AM
Nov 2022
Will there be more action in S2 and further Seasons as Thorfinn as chose the path to non-violence
Mar 6, 2023 10:23 AM
Aug 2021
Masterpiece. Perfect adaptation, this team needs to make a Berserk reboot
Mar 6, 2023 10:23 AM
Jan 2021
AnimeMFan said:
Will there be more action in S2 and further Seasons as Thorfinn as chose the path to non-violence

Yeah there are still some cool fights and battles
Mar 6, 2023 10:26 AM

Sep 2015
Finally Thorfinn changed this episode, it took a long while.
August 6th 2023: Biggest upset ever, deception, selfishness, or scammed, manipulated. Heavy damage costs, and more. Days since: 15 Last updated: 8/21/2023

One Piece Episode 1041 & 1042 & 1047 & 1048 & 95.75%/1049 & 1053 were a mistake and Uta brought the salvation -AhriTheS3xyFox

Oct 2019
AnimeMFan said:
Don't worry there will be a lot more action after that.The question will just be how thorfinn will handle the situation when he faces this violence

Apr 2019
And there it is. This weeks episode and next weeks episode back to back are going to be so good.

Mar 6, 2023 10:28 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
a bad nightmare with a new proposal, future proposal! kekeke
Mar 6, 2023 10:39 AM

Aug 2021
Just when I think I've seen the absolute best this series has to offer, it manages to top itself time after time. First it was S1E24, only for S2E4 to come and completely blow me away, then it happened again with S2E8, and now this one...

This episode was nothing short of a masterpiece. What an amazing character study. I'm beyond excited to see where Thorfinn goes from here.
Kon-JoeMar 10, 2023 9:24 AM
Mar 6, 2023 10:41 AM

Jan 2021
You have know enemies Know one does
Mar 6, 2023 10:41 AM
Dec 2012
This is so boring... Now Thorfinn is Jesus... Hope war comes for him very soon
Mar 6, 2023 10:50 AM
Feb 2020
VINLAND SAGA IS THE BEST ANIME OF ALL TIME <333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333
Mar 6, 2023 10:56 AM

Mar 2014
10 out of 10 episode, perfect adaptation of one of the best manga chapters. Was great to see the GOAT Askeladd once more.
Mar 6, 2023 10:58 AM

Jul 2013
Something interesting is how the Hell depicted in Thorfinn's nightmare is really similar to the Fifth Circle of Dante's Inferno, where those who got themselves taken by wrath (in this case, the "warriors") are trapped in a swamp of which they will never escape, fated to fight each other forever. Thought it was a cool detail.
Mar 6, 2023 10:59 AM
Feb 2022
A death of the old and a new beginning for Thorfinn, absolutely wonderful.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you think Thorfinn's worldview is viable?

Shizuna - May 24

27 by zeidXD »»
Yesterday, 4:54 AM

Poll: » Who is the most handsome Vinland Saga man?

Shizuna - May 24

19 by Genesis007AUT »»
May 26, 1:42 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 19, 2023

489 by Huperchild »»
May 21, 7:33 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jan 30, 2023

251 by phantom346 »»
May 21, 2:59 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Season 2 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 23, 2023

248 by phantom346 »»
May 21, 2:28 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.