Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 15, 8:28 AM

Nov 2011
This episode feels like a personal test for Chen. He's been motivated to prove himself, especially to his Father. I think it's admirable.

His personality is also very realistic for someone his age. It's great to see him being a main focus this episode imo.
May 15, 8:42 AM

Dec 2021
Deciding to pursue a career as a bartender during a training trip to the Yamazaki Distillery, Kelvin faces a dilemma when his father, the owner of the hotel, arrives in Singapore to take him back as his successor.

In order to convey his determination to his father, Kelvin serves up a drink.

May 15, 8:45 AM
Jan 2022
When we have to prove how much we have evolved through our efforts... Great episode, it was beautiful as always.
May 15, 10:15 AM

Mar 2021
Really fantastic and beautiful episode really feel for Kelvin I hope he can get through to his dad and show him that his passion to be a bartender is for real.
May 15, 10:28 AM

Apr 2014
wow..... She's been to Sendai before. Zunda is a sweet paste made from edamame beans which is one of the traditional foods from Sendai, Miyagi prefecture.
何それ?意味分かんない
May 15, 10:32 AM

Aug 2019
Chen cannot catch a break

Let him do his own thing
May 15, 10:36 AM
Nov 2023
Was not expecting a show like this to ever leave us on a cliffhanger, but here we are.
Chen is a good bartender and has the potential to reach incredible heights.
I hope he can find a way to change his father mind. 🙏
May 15, 10:59 AM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
Ah, so the word hospice comes from the Latin word for hospitality, that makes sense. Making a drink that soothes the soul of the customer must be quite hard when you don't know anything about them. Can't blame Sazakura for not being able to complete his task. Nonetheless it's time for Chen to act and give his father a proper response.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
May 15, 11:05 AM

Jun 2021
Poor Chen can't catch a break, dude only has problems in life (even with all that money lol)
May 15, 12:33 PM

Oct 2010
All through episode I was staring at the huge elephant sitting near the writer's desk.
Is Chen legally adult?
I mean he works at the night bar so he has to be.
So why not just do what he wants? Get a job at the bar. Rent a place. Date a girl. Live own life. Adult way, you know.

And father clearly needs a wake up call: he does not own any of his children. Can someone tell him to fork on?
May 15, 2:17 PM

Mar 2023
I never had a good relationship with my father. I don't think becoming a bartender would have helped me.
May 15, 2:19 PM

Mar 2023
Reply to geptor
All through episode I was staring at the huge elephant sitting near the writer's desk.
Is Chen legally adult?
I mean he works at the night bar so he has to be.
So why not just do what he wants? Get a job at the bar. Rent a place. Date a girl. Live own life. Adult way, you know.

And father clearly needs a wake up call: he does not own any of his children. Can someone tell him to fork on?
@geptor I think it's sort of a mix of both problems; Chen thinks he is the property of his father (which is why Ryuu says that him choosing to be a bartender despite his father going against it is the real test) while his dad thinks that Chen is his property (and that he can dictate what the guy can/will do). Ultimately, next episode will decide whether or not Chen continues to be his father's puppet or will become his own person.
May 15, 2:57 PM
草薙直哉zfg

Apr 2022
this is wonderfully done. god damn it man, another favorite
boredboredbored
May 15, 2:58 PM
草薙直哉zfg

Apr 2022
Reply to rainbowScarlet
I never had a good relationship with my father. I don't think becoming a bartender would have helped me.
@rainbowScarlet lots of lonely old men in bars you know
boredboredbored
May 15, 3:18 PM

Jul 2022
Another great episode. Kelvin has already shown what he learned to his father; now it's time for him to decide whether to pursue his dream or let it go. I know the anime isn't about romance, but I love seeing Sasakura and Miwa together.
May 15, 3:25 PM
May 2022
7 episodes in and still we don't know how many episodes this will have.
May 15, 4:57 PM
Blitzball Player

Dec 2011
Good set up! Interested to see how it develops in the next episode. Cool to see how Chen adapted Sasakura's teachings in crafting the perfect drink for his father.
May 15, 6:29 PM

Nov 2010
As I can't remember chapters that Chen appeared in the comics, I have checked about him. As a result, it seems that Chen is an anime original character. Thus, episodes Chen was involved in were all anime original. If you felt something wrong about those episodes, it might have come from it. I can't understand why anime team doesn't utilize the source material that has as much as 166 chapters.
May 15, 6:45 PM
Pirate King
Feb 2021
Another beautiful episode.
May 16, 3:38 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Hard decission!!!
I liked the welcome cocktel!!
kekeke
May 16, 6:11 AM

Jan 2017
Reply to Dan_ALves
7 episodes in and still we don't know how many episodes this will have.
@Dan_ALves Only 12 episodes as per kitsu 🙂
May 16, 6:26 AM

Dec 2016
I feel this episode is all over the place.

As others have mentioned, Chen is an adult, I see no reason why he can't just say "screw you, I'll do what I want". I see no attachments to his father nor any desire to follow in his footsteps or keep the legacy. The only feeling depicted that kinda bonds them is just regret for not having that day in the cherry blossom as a whole family. To me that doesn't feel like a tight knot to justify his lack of comitment to his own life.

The biggest message is that the bartender should offer a drink suited for the clients need. Yet Chen's drink made with japanese gin is made to force his father to think about that day they should've had watching the sakura blossoms as a family, he's forcing his father into a mindset of his own needs, not the client's. I'm also perplexed on why did he use gin in order to evoke the feeling of the cherry blossom events when sake is the go to drink.

This show keeps feeling more like product placement rather than character development.

KimurahMay 16, 6:37 AM
May 16, 9:22 AM
May 2022
Reply to sakurasyinks
@Dan_ALves Only 12 episodes as per kitsu 🙂
@sakurasyinks You sure? I mean, the show is very episodic, so 12 seems fitting.
May 16, 9:33 AM
Oct 2019
Jeez, the guy doesn't want to be filthy rich as an heir, but ok, he really has to follow his dream, he just can't go back
May 16, 4:41 PM

Aug 2014
problems of rich kids.. omg -.- most people would love to have parents give them chance for free job and money.. and he want to be a bartender.. what an idiot :D

also this story really tries too hard.. drinks don't give such emotions.. not after single sip at least :D
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ ちゅっ ちゅっ キス (´。✪ω✪。`)

I hate it when anime/manga that I enjoyed ends, especially when there could be much longer plot and when I love main heroine :P

I wish I had magic glasses that let me see real world in anime colors ;)
May 16, 5:07 PM

May 2021
Kind of lost interested in this episode.
May 16, 6:57 PM

Jan 2016
Wow
So many emotions
So that's why he was at Mr. Perfect's bar? This makes more sense because assumed he was hella good from that, but it was because he was rich boy.
I never saw his dad with a woman. I'm sure if had a good spouse he wouldn't hear the end of it. Obviously, he can refuse his father's decision, but I don't think he wants to lose his connection to him. 5/5 because had multiple emotions.

May 16, 7:52 PM
Mar 2020
Realistic episode. Sometimes, its not as simple as just winning some arbitrary contest. Of course Kelvin's dad woudln't let him give it up just for making one single drink.

Also, I think (and hope) they're setting up Sasakura and Miwa to be together. They're both single and the chemistry is absolutely there. She loves a good drink, but is more attracted to the way he thinks of others and how much attention he pays. No way she doesn't try and lock him down before the season ends.
May 16, 8:08 PM
Jun 2012
Reply to kuroneko99
As I can't remember chapters that Chen appeared in the comics, I have checked about him. As a result, it seems that Chen is an anime original character. Thus, episodes Chen was involved in were all anime original. If you felt something wrong about those episodes, it might have come from it. I can't understand why anime team doesn't utilize the source material that has as much as 166 chapters.
kuroneko99 said:
Chen is an anime original character.

@kuroneko99 Slight nuance, Chen is an anime original character and is only in this version of the anime. He didn't appear in the 2006 version.
He's still a somewhat interesting character.

I wonder how Chen will defy his father's demands and follow his own desires.

Miwa, stop using Sasakura to solve your problems. He isn't a knight in shining armour that will do all the work to "rescue" you, a metaphorical princess/damsel in distress.
May 16, 9:07 PM

Dec 2016
Reply to Thyriad-oPPailov
problems of rich kids.. omg -.- most people would love to have parents give them chance for free job and money.. and he want to be a bartender.. what an idiot :D

also this story really tries too hard.. drinks don't give such emotions.. not after single sip at least :D
@Thyriad-oPPailov

In the 90s (Beverly Hills 90210) and the early 2000s (The OC) these shows despite their massive audience, they were mocked as shows with white rich kids problems.

In here so far, we haven't seen anyone from the working class being "the customer" of the episode (probably only Yukari, but she still works at a really prestigious hotel).
May 16, 11:31 PM

Dec 2023
Trying not to become alcoholic episode 7
May 17, 6:38 AM

Jan 2017
Reply to Dan_ALves
@sakurasyinks You sure? I mean, the show is very episodic, so 12 seems fitting.
@Dan_ALves Not really. i just saw it in Kitsu that it has 12 episodes. Here: https://kitsu.io/anime/bartender-shin-anime
May 17, 3:37 PM
May 2022
Reply to sakurasyinks
@Dan_ALves Not really. i just saw it in Kitsu that it has 12 episodes. Here: https://kitsu.io/anime/bartender-shin-anime
@sakurasyinks Is that a website like MAL? Is it reliable? Never heard of it, that´s why I´m asking.
May 18, 1:40 AM

Dec 2015
Maybe it is actually a test - to see whether he stays true to his path (not taking the flight) or stops to be a bartender? We'll see. Definitely more potential for further episodes for the Chen sub plot. I think it also would be fun of the grandfather of the girl (chairman of the Cardinal hotel) met with Chen's father. Since both are in the hotel business.
May 18, 2:15 AM
Sep 2021
Chen is trying his best to live up to his dream of becoming a bartender, can he successfully convince his father to agree to his dream. Interested to figure out how he does that.
May 18, 5:15 AM

Jan 2017
Reply to Dan_ALves
@sakurasyinks Is that a website like MAL? Is it reliable? Never heard of it, that´s why I´m asking.
@Dan_ALves Yes, it's also an anime-listing website and it has manga-listing as well, etc. Usually you can view the number of episodes first there compared to other websites so it's very reliable, at least for me. I actually use four websites to record the anime that I'm watching: animeplanet, MAL, Kitsu and animeschedule. They're all reliable sites and I prefer to use all four of them because there are shows like OVAs, specials, manhwas (Korean comics), etc. that you cannot see in one website but exists in the other websites. Feel free to use any of them.
Here's my account in kitsu by the way: https://kitsu.io/users/sakurasyinks
You can also post pictures/screenshots of the anime (manga) there and interact with other kitsu users as well. Anyways, good luck!
May 18, 6:29 AM
May 2022
Reply to sakurasyinks
@Dan_ALves Yes, it's also an anime-listing website and it has manga-listing as well, etc. Usually you can view the number of episodes first there compared to other websites so it's very reliable, at least for me. I actually use four websites to record the anime that I'm watching: animeplanet, MAL, Kitsu and animeschedule. They're all reliable sites and I prefer to use all four of them because there are shows like OVAs, specials, manhwas (Korean comics), etc. that you cannot see in one website but exists in the other websites. Feel free to use any of them.
Here's my account in kitsu by the way: https://kitsu.io/users/sakurasyinks
You can also post pictures/screenshots of the anime (manga) there and interact with other kitsu users as well. Anyways, good luck!
@sakurasyinks Thanks a lot. That makes me think: why don´t these websites pull stuff from eachother? If Kitsu has the episode listing, why wouldn´t MAL look in there and also list the episodes here? Makes no sense.
May 18, 9:38 AM

Jan 2017
Reply to Dan_ALves
@sakurasyinks Thanks a lot. That makes me think: why don´t these websites pull stuff from eachother? If Kitsu has the episode listing, why wouldn´t MAL look in there and also list the episodes here? Makes no sense.
@Dan_ALves They probably have their own sources and they use that as references for their listing. I'm not really sure...
May 18, 3:55 PM
May 2022
Reply to sakurasyinks
@Dan_ALves They probably have their own sources and they use that as references for their listing. I'm not really sure...
@sakurasyinks If that´s the case, their sources aren´t looking everywhere.
May 19, 3:58 AM

Jul 2017
Continuing on with the hospitality aspect, both Yukari and Miwa having to always find Ryu for help, this time for their welcome drink, they receive a rather unexpected guest: Kelvin, seeking apprenticeship from Ryu.

Kelvin being kicked out of Kuzuhara's bar, and being the heir to one of Singapore's most prestigious hotels (the JW Marriott Hotel Singapore South Beach to be exact going by the picture), that's where he wants to earnestly beome a bartender, but due to family circumstances, he's forced to come back to Japan to talk with his family with his succession. And that is determined by one drink, but offering him a Stamford Raffles style Singapore Sling, that's not what he's supposed to do when bartendering with service as the main element, or "hospes", Latin for hospitality. Yuri and Rumi prepping for their Cocktail Award, it's a lot of work, which Ryu doesn't want to talk about it much.

A Kir Royal as a welcome drink, there're many variations of it, but looking for a Glass of God, this glass of cocktail alcohol is not one. And something as simple as a Gin and Tonic, thats's Ryu's comfort whenever he messes up, which this is one of many. The test between father and son once again, he goes for the Savoy style with Japanese Craft Gin to alleviate all of the hurt that's vent throughout the drink. Even then, Kelvin's father doesn't relent and reminds him to pack his bags back to SIngapore, which he can only make the decision for himself.

A young heir giving up the hotelier business for a bartendering one, what will Kelvin's choice be?
May 20, 7:55 AM
Oct 2021
What cliffhanger this let us... I hope Chen finds peace wherever he goes from now.
May 20, 2:06 PM

Jul 2012
Random bartenders in this show that work at the Cardinal so very strange how this show's story unfolds.. Also random first person POV at the end there lol
May 20, 2:25 PM

Feb 2016
An episode that hits hard. Damn father...
May 20, 5:46 PM

Jul 2016
Poor Chen living the hell that is having an old-school Asian parent.

Solid episode though not as good as previous ones. That said, I'm kinda glad the drama with Chen's father didn't go for the quick cheesy resolution and instead will go for a bit longer in order to reach a more organic conclusion.
May 21, 1:34 AM
Dec 2019
These Chen episodes have kind of been a drag, honestly.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bartender: Kami no Glass Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - May 29

33 by Ryushindai »»
9 hours ago

Poll: » Bartender: Kami no Glass Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - May 22

23 by rasterman7 »»
May 31, 1:17 PM

» very underrated

Benedito29 - May 8

45 by Merve2Love »»
May 30, 4:58 PM

» What's your favorite drink?

davi__ - May 20

44 by AshPikaKetchum »»
May 30, 3:17 PM

Poll: » Bartender: Kami no Glass Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 1

63 by teodora911 »»
May 29, 1:47 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.