Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 20, 2019 2:32 PM

Apr 2015
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Damn, this has to be my favorite episode of Hi Score Girl,

It really hit me when that woman who calls herself an educator threw away the RPG, damn I am surprised that Ono did not hit her.

But the moments and developments for most of the cast is pretty amazing, and the three OVA episodes are more enjoyable to me than the entire series.

9/10
Mar 20, 2019 2:48 PM

Aug 2016
Oono's sister gives Harou a dating sim game, which she makes him play while she watches, alongside his mum and Koharu, poor Harou.
Unsurprisingly he sucks at it, he's no Keima Katsuragi
Harou makes an rpg maker game for Oono, who loves it, until Dragon Lady finds it.
She tosses it, which even she realises is a mistake and after visiting Harou, like the Tin-Man, she gains a heart.
Harou and Oono attend a games show and on the way home, she shows him she still has the ring he gave her as kids.
The episode ends with Harou meeting Jiiya's car bumper again.
I really hope they make some more.
“I just spent the last two years thinking that you guys knew more than me about life and I just found out that you guys are just as dumb as me.” “Duh-doy.” “Yeah, duh-doy.”
Mar 20, 2019 5:58 PM

Apr 2015
Was Ms. Goda doing one not-terrible thing for Oono supposed to reduce my bloodlust? Nah, chief, you went too far when you threw away the console and the custom-made RPG. Bitch needs to go down.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Mar 20, 2019 7:08 PM

Mar 2016
A man playing a dating simulation game, while your crush's sister, your other crush and your mom are watching? Haruo surely enjoys playing his life in hard mode.
No tomo malas decisiones, solo me gusta apoyar causas perdidas.
Disfruté Mayoiga, Ou-sama Game, Evil or Live, Mirai Nikki, Big Order, Arifureta, Ex-Arm, Tesla Note, Shuumatsu no Harem y Platinum End
nope les falle con esa, lo siento pero todos tenemos nuestros límites.
Así de jodido es mi gusto en anime, ¡Y estoy pinche orgulloso de ello!

Mar 20, 2019 7:19 PM
Aug 2018
el_morris said:
A man playing a dating simulation game, while your crush's sister, your other crush and your mom are watching? Haruo surely enjoys playing his life in hard mode.

well he already was playing life in hard mode trying to marry up (oono is in a much higher social class than him). id love to find out how he gets her
Mar 20, 2019 7:20 PM

Feb 2017
That Asuka they were talking about was an eva reference, right?

BTW is this the end? I really want to see then grow into adults.
Mar 20, 2019 7:32 PM

Aug 2014
Luxeraph said:

Yep, that was an Eva reference
Mar 20, 2019 8:29 PM

Apr 2018
Guile telling him to wait before crossing the street and the glimpse of Honda, portraying the feeling that Oono was about to be there, was one of the most beautiful scenes i've ever seen

i teared up so hard and grabbed my heart w/ both hands

this was a great episode omg pls let there be more

Mar 20, 2019 10:28 PM

May 2017
moemi is kinda hot ngl
Mar 20, 2019 10:54 PM

Oct 2018
It was alright but felt anticlimactic after episode 12, this episode should've been the Arcade showdown with both girls meeting face to face, and forcing the oblivious Harou to make a choice point blank. Instead it was a smaltzy date episode that was basically a replay of their date in episode 3, done as a reprise/denouement to show they are a couple of some kind (or another). Again must say I am disappointed as Koharu actually challenged Harou to show some affection or GASP love, Ono just let's him act like his usual, stuck in a gamer rut, asinine self. This series could have betrayed expectations with Koharu winning the match, but it chooses the stereotypical 'safe' ending.
Mar 20, 2019 11:00 PM

Mar 2014
RIP Haruo's RPG. That was such an amazing gift and I can't believe the bitch threw it all out. I'm glad she let up on Ono a bit because "oh no she hates me now" but what she did was unforgivable.

That was a really sweet moment when she finally showed Haruo she's kept his ring all that time. I checked and apparently he did win it in a crane game so it was literally the perfect moment to show what her favorite crane prize was.
Mar 21, 2019 12:53 AM

May 2015
Makoto bought Haruo a dating sim!? LOL!

Makoto is so animated!

There was an RPG Maker back then?

That RPG is really charming for Akira...

Cyberbots was mentioned! This is basically Haruo's way of communicating with Akira when they can't meet.

Well Moemi discovers her secret eventually. She's so terrible! RPG games aren't easy to make!

Moemi had a change of heart. I guess it's because she's never seen Akira cry and get angry at her like that.

"What was your favorite crane game prize?"
SHE STILL HAS THE RING! TEARS ARE SHEDDING RIGHT NOW!

This was the final episode of the OVA right? Well I couldn't have ended it better. Show the ring, and emotions explode. Cute and heartwarming about two young people who grew close because of their love for games which is something that only exists in dreams. I rated the TV series high, and this OVA did not disappoint.

Final Verdict: True Ending/10
Mar 21, 2019 2:42 AM

Jul 2011
2nd season coming, not end here yet ;)

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Mar 21, 2019 3:35 AM

May 2015
MKSTEEL said:
It was alright but felt anticlimactic after episode 12, this episode should've been the Arcade showdown with both girls meeting face to face, and forcing the oblivious Harou to make a choice point blank. Instead it was a smaltzy date episode that was basically a replay of their date in episode 3, done as a reprise/denouement to show they are a couple of some kind (or another). Again must say I am disappointed as Koharu actually challenged Harou to show some affection or GASP love, Ono just let's him act like his usual, stuck in a gamer rut, asinine self. This series could have betrayed expectations with Koharu winning the match, but it chooses the stereotypical 'safe' ending.

well we're still halfway through but things does got cleared up/done in a Period. way later in the series, also there's still some development Haruo need to catch up ;)

he takes what he's lost and discards what he's won, he's every bit as alive as you and I
Mar 21, 2019 4:03 AM
Mar 2019
But where do i watch it :((
Mar 21, 2019 4:41 AM

Apr 2018
MKSTEEL said:
This series could have betrayed expectations with Koharu winning the match, but it chooses the stereotypical 'safe' ending.

in a lot of ways, i see Oono and Haruo as rivals, more than just love interests
imo the fighting games/arcades are a main character and it's less of a love story than it's hinted at, at times

Mar 21, 2019 4:45 AM

Apr 2015
Motival said:

Netflix. The big unofficial streaming/torrent sites have it by now as well.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Mar 21, 2019 5:02 AM

Aug 2014
MKSTEEL said:

Because this is not the ending,we are in the halfway of the manga.
Those OVAS aren't for end the series, but for keep adapting the manga.
In fact, a new season has been announced.
kofmasterMar 21, 2019 5:11 AM
Mar 21, 2019 5:39 AM

Jan 2017
I wanted to say that this ending was quite not satisfying but oh boy SAISON 2 IS COMING OCTOBER THIS YEAR!

I won't lie, I shared a tear....

Also that hiden Evangelion reference!

Strong 9/10 for this hidden gem, and one of my personal favorites of 2018.
Dudi4PoLFrMar 21, 2019 5:47 AM
Mar 21, 2019 5:47 AM

Aug 2014
Dudi4PoLFr said:
I wanted to say that this ending was quite not satisfying but oh boy SAISON 2 IS COMING!

Fun fact about the Evangelion reference, Latin American Spanish subs didn't understand the reference and they thought that Asuka is a male character xD.
Mar 21, 2019 7:44 AM

Oct 2010
So glad this beautiful anime is gonna s2!!

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2019-03-21/hi-score-girl-anime-gets-2nd-season-in-october/.144800 Honestly one of my favorite anime in years

Too bad the wrong girl won.

That ring tho T _T
KougeruMar 21, 2019 8:25 AM
Mar 21, 2019 9:29 AM

Oct 2018
kofmaster said:
MKSTEEL said:

Because this is not the ending,we are in the halfway of the manga.
Those OVAS aren't for end the series, but for keep adapting the manga.
In fact, a new season has been announced.
Glad to hear this I am totally Team Koharu 😎
Mar 21, 2019 9:46 AM

Dec 2015
Great. Now looking forward to the 2nd season and hopefully a full adaption with a decent ending to that story. Liked to see that ring again. And the house teacher seems to be a nice person after all. (Maybe she'll side with Akira and Haruo later against the parents.)

Funny that of all the persons she might have been the one to give him a big hint on that he loves Akira. (But then unfortunately the boss called and the conversation got interrupted.) The other guy from school knows too - but he isn't talking with Harou about it.
Mar 21, 2019 10:48 AM

Mar 2017
Eh, good to have more of the show. I'd give it 7/10 and original S1 8/10. Something was missing, but maybe it was low episode count.
Mar 21, 2019 11:30 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Beautiful episode! Sure it felt a bit quick and such, but it was still glorious!

Hidaki learns of Haruo’s new connection with Dating Sims under a false presumption but it makes for a great surprise, that is noneother than Makoto xD. And then Haruo playing a Dating Sim in front of his mother, his crush’s sister and the girl who has a crush on her was hilarious. Lol, loved how Makoto managed to infer Hidaki’s feelings through Haruo’s decisions. Makoto then goes on to show some regret and worry over her sister’s fate but comes up with a really inventive idea. Damn, it took Haruo 30 days, meaning a whole month, to make it, good thing she quickly fell in love with it. Lol, Haruo sneakily made Makoto a boss with that freaky appearance, no wonder why was she was so ticked off by it despite even helping him. Well played, lad!

But of course things couldn’t be so merry-like. Moemi-Sensei found out about the console and ruthlessly disposed of it causing a greater rift between her relationship with Oono. Thank God through this and Makoto’s brave words, she came to realise just how much peer pressure and desolation she’s actively been pushing on Oono! It felt a little too convenient perhaps, but it was about time really. I didn’t think she’d go as far as to buying Haruo a game though and personally delivering it to him, guess she really was a good person after all.

But what really set the episode in wildfire of brilliance, or so to say, was really, thanks to Moemi, Oono giving back the umbrella. God, the whole handling of that situation was exemplary, loved the music and the atmosphere that just further enchanted the encounter. Sweet stuff! Best mom then cheering them on just goes to solidify her title, the best mom. And then, it was more wonderful doses of adorable-ness as the two finally got around to visiting the ground-breaking place and in the meantime making some crucial romantic developments. Haruo’s casual stares at Oono and her intensively blushing over it was so very heartwarming to see! Another special mention to the music usage during some of these events, they really enhanced the scenes at least two folds on a serious note. Seeing Oono more happy and cheerful and more expressive than before was really a treat to watch, I mean just look at that smile right before the ED kicks in. And then that brilliant after credit scene too xD. Haruo was so close yet so far, lmao. Butler-san got a bit of a nostalgia feeling and regrettably so did Haruo. Lol, what a great way to sign off.

To be honest, there’s so much more from the episode that I could literally go on and on for another long 2-3 paragraphs but I’ll refrain from doing so. I’ll at least leave with a few more pieces of greatness down below:
“My Lady, My Lady. Would you like to have some meat after work” or something along those lines and then the “What kind of poem is this?” was so bloody hilarious! “What’s with the apron? Huh, does it not look good?” xD, the drastic change from seriousness to comedy there totally caught me off guard. And then there was the “I feel you, Ono. Your game instincts taking over.” and then the brief pause before the following “Or do you need to pee?” was totally hilarious too! Some really great standout comedic moments this episode too.

Overall, solid 3 episodes! In my opinion, these three episodes were more enjoyable than the tv series and there was considerable amount of character developments for a lot of the Characters too so I’ll be rewarding this OVA series a 9/10, an upgrade from the 8/10 of the tv series.

Now, can’t wait for Season 2! I think I’ve already mentioned this like in three forums elsewhere, but I’m totally hyped for Season 2!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Mar 21, 2019 12:43 PM
Dec 2017
I didn't understand the end, when she didn't want go home and he looks like have remembered something and says ''Tonight....'', ater this he is ran over. why he says ''tonight...''?
danicarMar 21, 2019 5:57 PM
Mar 21, 2019 12:55 PM
May 2014
Motival said:

erai raws
text text text
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 21, 2019 1:11 PM
Feb 2018
CatSoul said:
Was Ms. Goda doing one not-terrible thing for Oono supposed to reduce my bloodlust? Nah, chief, you went too far when you threw away the console and the custom-made RPG. Bitch needs to go down.
You're god damn right !
She destroyed a game he spent a month on just for Ono (and the console that goes with it) one date isn't going to be enough.
BrilliantEastMar 21, 2019 1:18 PM
Mar 21, 2019 1:31 PM

Jan 2009
I think it's getting a bit stale and tiring this show. All the cameos and videogames are great, but storywise is really baffling.

The whole gag of akira and haruo is already old, they basically are still doing the same thing they were doing at episode 3 of the first season. Going somewhere, play something at the arcade or anywhere else and that's it. He's so dense is not even funny anymore

The RPG diversion is good at least. And makoto is great, finally a good character
Mar 21, 2019 9:04 PM
Oct 2017
Tonight.... Yaguo x Ono are the best couple!! uwu ah, the ring part in the train was too cute uwu
Mar 21, 2019 9:25 PM

Mar 2012
Lookman373890 said:
el_morris said:

well he already was playing life in hard mode trying to marry up (oono is in a much higher social class than him). id love to find out how he gets her

Becomes a game developer for a big gaming company like Squaresoft (Square Enix now), gets rich, gets in good standing with the Ono family. Considering the timing of this series happening during the big video game boom during the 90s, I think that would make a lot of sense.
Mar 21, 2019 9:27 PM
Aug 2018
Toucanbird said:
Lookman373890 said:

Becomes a game developer for a big gaming company like Squaresoft (Square Enix now), gets rich, gets in good standing with the Ono family. Considering the timing of this series happening during the big video game boom during the 90s, I think that would make a lot of sense.

he seem to have the second one latest with her teacher
Mar 21, 2019 10:18 PM
Mar 2015
He may not have learned anything about what women want but he does know how to make Oono happy
Mar 21, 2019 10:50 PM
Jan 2019
Ahhhh, my heart! What a moving chapter. Oh, the love of youth ❤😅. To see that Ono keeps as a treasure the gift that Haruo gave her so many years ago and that Haruo created a videogame just for her, it moves me too much. (It's good to see that the instructor changed her mind). Haruo will be crazy about video games, but he is a good person. That's the charm, everything he says or does is what he really thinks or feels. He is honest with his feelings. Admirable in that sense, I would say. He and Ono are such for what, a friendship that lasts in spite of everything. "Everything makes a good impression when I'm with you."

At first I had my doubts to see it for the CGI animation, but I realized that the story has a lot to do not only the animation and ended up charming me :).
It is a great joy to know that the Second Season of the anime is confirmed for the month of October 😁.

Ps: I wonder if Ono can talk.
Mar 22, 2019 12:22 AM

May 2015
I was feeling sorry for Koharu like 30 minutes ago, now I don't anymore lol. Akira made me remember why she's so superior to her. The chemistry between Haruo and Akira is one the best I've seen in any romance anime. I love it. I'm glad Netflix gave a green light for a second season.
Mar 22, 2019 6:27 AM

Nov 2011
I honestly didn't feel anything for Koharu after she lost. She didn't even hear Haruo out and he then got his ass whopped. The intense jealously is a little too much now.

But damn man THE RING!!!!! So good.

So happy there will be a season 2!

I wonder if Haruo was going to invite Oono over to his house before he got hit by the car lol
Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/waifusandweeaboos

Follow my twitch.
https://www.twitch.tv/sorasensei1

Spring 2024 Waifus on Profile

"You can have multiple Waifus" -me

Mar 22, 2019 9:23 AM

Dec 2016
This series is fucking great!!
I really love it!
Mar 22, 2019 10:58 AM

Jun 2015
MKSTEEL said:
That's because it's not over. The manga goes on.
Mar 23, 2019 4:01 AM

May 2016
The last ep was righteous! Makoto was incredible, as well as mom and Jiiya, even Meomi at the end was acceptable!(barely)

The scene where Haruo was playing the dating sim while the three females watched was great, too. To those that say that Akira is the safe route, Koharu is really the safe(and easy) route.

I'm glad they put the hand squeezing and fireworks in there, too. If they hadn't rushed through like 12 chapters for three eps, I'd give it a 10 instead of a 9, but I know it's for the greater good of doing the last 24 chaspters properly in season 2.
"Genki is Life, Genki is Love"
Mar 24, 2019 2:00 PM
Jun 2017
Luxeraph said:

No it's not the end. Netflix just Green lit it for a season 2!
Mar 25, 2019 10:42 AM

May 2015
danicar said:
I didn't understand the end, when she didn't want go home and he looks like have remembered something and says ''Tonight....'', ater this he is ran over. why he says ''tonight...''?

he want to say "Tonight, I wont let you go" a line choice from tokimeki memorial

he takes what he's lost and discards what he's won, he's every bit as alive as you and I
Mar 25, 2019 1:47 PM

Dec 2016
This was an adorable ending! Haruo did an amazing job creating a game for Oono based on her boredom life X3 During time, I want to see him show his dating skills as he grows to be a man ^^

Damn! Throwing a console that belongs to someone else is going too far :( also, making Miss Moemi showing soft sides doen't make me start to like her one bit. What she did to poor Akira is so uncool :I She's strict as hell!
PurpleGirl203Mar 25, 2019 1:50 PM

[*]My Completed List
[*]♪Listen ►
[/list][/left]
Mar 26, 2019 6:15 AM

Oct 2018
Switch_Z said:
MKSTEEL said:
That's because it's not over. The manga goes on.
Someone already beat you to the punch on informing me.
Mar 26, 2019 6:46 AM

Dec 2013
Man, this was amazing. I think I made a mistake by watching this. Now the wait for season 2 will be unbearable.
Mar 26, 2019 9:42 AM

Jul 2017
Anyone else catch the Evangelion reference at the end of the episode?
Mar 28, 2019 5:11 AM
Jul 2018
kofmaster said:
Dudi4PoLFr said:
I wanted to say that this ending was quite not satisfying but oh boy SAISON 2 IS COMING!

Fun fact about the Evangelion reference, Latin American Spanish subs didn't understand the reference and they thought that Asuka is a male character xD.

That's true I was laughing hard at that moment 😂.
But most of the latin Spanish translations are directly subbed from the english translation and they use the male gender on almost everything.
Mar 28, 2019 3:43 PM

Mar 2016
LeturLefr said:
danicar said:

he want to say "Tonight, I wont let you go" a line choice from tokimeki memorial

Thank you! I was wondering what exactly he was alluding to—turns out it was just a cute, cheesy reference to that god awful dating sim he was forced to play.
Mar 28, 2019 10:20 PM

Feb 2013
So good!!!! Can not wait for season 2!!!
Mar 29, 2019 6:35 AM

Dec 2009
Cute episode, but the pacing was all over the place.
Kinda wish they did a time skip after this, my favorite part about this anime is when they are talking about games or actually playing them and would like to see their reactions to mid to late PS1 era games, specially stuff like Tekken 3 or Guilty Gear.
Apr 1, 2019 2:37 AM
Mar 2019
Damn Haruo you're a lucky bastard. You got the best mom and two girls over you HAHAHA.

At first, I thought of dropped this series because it seems boring but something develop and I start to like and love it.

It got another season YEAH.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » High Score Girl: Extra Stage Episode 2 Discussion

JokerVentura - Mar 20, 2019

43 by dspr »»
Jun 14, 2023 6:43 AM

Poll: » High Score Girl: Extra Stage Episode 1 Discussion

JokerVentura - Mar 20, 2019

35 by dspr »»
Jun 14, 2023 5:46 AM

» What are you thoughts on how they ended hi score girl extra

Jp124 - Mar 23, 2019

2 by LoveLikeBlood »»
Mar 23, 2019 4:48 AM

» Will this adapt the reamining chapters?

LuteFlute - Dec 30, 2018

26 by vellabrown »»
Mar 21, 2019 1:54 AM

» Promotional Video(PV)

_MushiRock11_ - Dec 26, 2018

5 by LastLuminescence »»
Dec 30, 2018 11:08 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.