Forum Settings
Forums
Fairy Tail
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 16, 2017 12:19 PM

Jan 2012
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Aaaand Larcade and August are gone. Killed by Zeref and self-destructed/run out of life respectively. Mavis apparently none the wiser of her fallen son. Tragic, in a sense. Now begins Zeref vs Natsu in earnest with Mavis on the way!
animefan8800Mar 16, 2017 12:23 PM
Mar 16, 2017 12:40 PM

Dec 2013
What a terrible way for August to go.
Mar 16, 2017 12:54 PM
Oct 2013
Every week Hiro Mashima delivers another treason against the arts. This series has been horrendous for a long time but at least it was consistant in it´s badness. Now it has reached a point where it delivers a few good ideas and just blasts shit all over them.

It´s infuriating. A bad series is just bad and that´s it you don´t think any further about it. But this went from a mediocore Battle Shounen with great potential to a fanservice driven nonsensical mess of bullshit.

It´s not bad enough that the quality was on a consistant decline but it had random moments of genius for it´s genre that sparked an occasional glimmer of hope, just to drown it in a river of shit.

This is by far the worst Battle Shounen I ever had the displeasure of reading. It never was boring, but it always managed to anger past a certain point. Writing so bad it has to be seen to be believed.

This trainwreck is nearly over and I´m on this ride till it´s pathetic ending, because I´m a completionist and it doesn´t waste my time to read 18 pages a week.

Mod Edit: Removed unnecessary words.
RawrbertoMar 26, 2017 2:50 PM
Mar 16, 2017 2:00 PM

Aug 2013
From good chapter to shit chapter. I was hoping we would see the arc actually start to get good but after one good chapter it all gets ruined again.

All we have now is Acnologia and I'm sure that will get ruined soon too.

Only thing I liked was Natsu calling Zeref brother
Mar 16, 2017 2:37 PM
Dec 2015
Why so negative. :( I personally liked the chapter, but I guess people need to shit on every little thing, don't they? Don't even start on the fanservice crap, I watched Fairy Tail before I even knew what fanservice was and it hadn't bothered me at all, and I'm a girl.

I'm hyped for the next chapter, unlike the load of salty people on the salt wagon. This manga requires patience, to those who couldn't notice this after 500 chapters. Love it or hate it, things happen in the story, and of course not everyone is going to be satisfied because, "this character wasn't strong enough" or whatever the hell along those lines. Honestly I enjoy it for what it is.

You go out and try to draw a minimum of nineteen pages for a manga a week and devote your time into a manga while keeping consistent pacing and dialogue, while creating a considerably good story along the way that matches up and doesn't drag out. It's not as easy as it seems, you have to give credit to the mangaka who work hard on their manga.

Though my opinion may be different, since I don't really hate on series. If I don't like a series I'm quiet about it. I don't like to rain on others parade if they like something. Though that may differ here, since this is a discussion tab, but the negativity won't change the series at all. Those who are complaining aren't going to spark some sort of change to the story, it's going to take the route that it takes.
Hi
Mar 16, 2017 4:36 PM

Feb 2017
I am really disappointed that August is gone now, this could have gone in so many great different directions.
At least the chapter confirmed once and for all that he is incredibly broken and could have destroyed any other mage 1v1 easily.

R.I.P. August, I really liked you a lot, too bad your character was wasted like this.
Mar 16, 2017 4:41 PM

Apr 2014
How many chapters till Acnologia gets one-shot?
A stupid thread deserves a stupid answer!
Mar 16, 2017 5:30 PM
Sep 2012
So the only way the two strongest Spriggen can be defeated is to kill themselves after seeing their loved ones at the last moment. It is pretty much the same thing, just replace Erza with Mavis. Though I am cool with that, they are so powerful, no one can beat them, more so August.

Was confused for a moment, I thought August turned into a little kid, well Zeref may never know of his existence, but at least Mavis knows something.

So yup Natsu and Zeref, they have to fight, no one can interrupt, I guess we are headed towards the end here, Mavis has some plan I wonder what it is. Though I think Acnologia is going to mess everything up, I am pretty sure the next chapter title refers to Acnologia.
Mar 16, 2017 5:59 PM

Sep 2013
wtf? August was so strong he could stomp them all then decides to go suicide kamekazee? ohmygod this is on an entirely different level of bullshit even on Mashima's standard.
Mar 16, 2017 6:31 PM

Dec 2012
So August is finished.

Mavis on the way to the Guild.

Natsu vs Zeref continues.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Mar 16, 2017 7:14 PM
Apr 2016
What the heck just happened? lol. August looked at Mavis and all of a sudden he disintegrated. What a shit chapter this was. Spriggan 12 = Fodder confirmed with the defeat of August, the so called "King of Magic". He is supposed to be overpowered, but hey, Mashima was like screw that love is the answer to everything. He is pretty much implying that no matter how ridiculous if I just mention love or friendship in a fight my readers will be satisfied. 2/5. The only good thing this chapter was probably the art. Yep, just the drawings. Mashima's story writing skills are freaking terrible. Why did Natsu call Zeref brother again? Natsu hated him and is calling him brother now? Finally, Larcade is a freaking loser lol. He thought Zeref was his dad and he got treated like trash. He had a BS magic power anyway.
Mar 16, 2017 8:22 PM

Mar 2015
that was a fucking nothing... holy shit mashima....
"If taking responsibility for a mistake that cannot be undone means death, it's not that hard to die. At least, not as hard as to live on."
Mar 16, 2017 8:31 PM

Jan 2009
lol Larcade and August died like shit

August just wants his mother Mavis to hug him huh

and next week Natsu will release his final form called Dragon Demon?
Mar 16, 2017 8:32 PM

Oct 2015
Isterio said:
Every week Hiro Mashima delivers another treason against the arts. This series has been horrendous for a long time but at least it was consistant in it´s badness. Now it has reached a point where it delivers a few good ideas and just blasts shit all over them.

It´s infuriating. A bad series is just bad and that´s it you don´t think any further about it. But this went from a mediocore Battle Shounen with great potential to a fanservice driven nonsensical mess of bullshit.

It´s not bad enough that the quality was on a consistant decline but it had random moments of genius for it´s genre that sparked an occasional glimmer of hope, just to drown it in a river of shit.

This is by far the worst Battle Shounen I ever had the displeasure of reading. It never was boring, but it always managed to anger past a certain point. Writing so bad it has to be seen to be believed.

Specifically to all you fanfaggots out there who´ll yell at me to drop it. No I won´t. This trainwreck is nearly over and I´m on this ride till it´s pathetic ending, because I´m a completionist and it doesn´t waste my time to read 18 pages a week.

^this basically like if it stayed like reborn lvl of mediorce i would have no comment cause it'll just be cool powers

but not only dont we get cool powers that are wasted, any semblance or cool concepts like natsu's humanity and forgiveness of sin is wasted.

here's a fun little thing that i complied as well

the 12 spriggans going in order of their names

ajeel-uses sand magic, first defeated by erza and bisca

august-copying magic, probably gonna be defeated by cana and gildarts combo.

bloodman-can use almost all the demon magic known plus his own seal magic, defeated by gajeel

brandish-size magic, became an ally

dimaria-time magic, defeated by wendy, shelly and ultear

god serena-dragon slayer magic, 1 shotted by acnologia

invel-ultimate ice magic, defeated by gray

irene-ultimate magic, defeated by erza

jacob-stealth magic and transport magic, defeated by natsu and lucy as a joke.

larcade-white magic defeated by sting

neinhart-edo tensei(or revival magic), gonna say defeated by jellal

wall eetho-machine magic,defeated by the lighting tribe and laxus

all cool powers, and only 2 of them had the power to back it up and not get 1 shotted

the only 2 that put up a fight and had their magic not become a joke, was wall etho
Weebs when native isekai series with OP mc but female and not incel: :soyjackwow:
weebs when native isekai series with OP mc but male and incel: :npcangry:
Mar 16, 2017 10:26 PM
Jul 2018
Man Hiro just gave up this week.
Mar 16, 2017 10:30 PM

Dec 2015
This was mostly bullshit, but it was kinda sad as well.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Mar 16, 2017 10:41 PM

Nov 2011
August's death is awful, will easily be forgettable.

I really hope Natsu and Zeref's fight won't end up similarly that way. In the meantime, seems that Mavis found a way to defeat him.
Mar 16, 2017 11:11 PM

Jun 2013
Man this sucks. Kinda? I don't really care, the writting is so shitty. The only thing I really liked about FT was the interaction between the characters, that was fun. I'm not mad, nor angry, I'm just disappointed that's all. Hope it gets a decent ending and I truly hope Mashima puts more effort into his next series.
Mar 16, 2017 11:13 PM
Feb 2015
Meh
August's death was pretty sudden, and vague. Like, was it just Mavis's presence that killed him? And Mavis didn't realize August was her son, so does that mean he wasn't a biological son, and actually some clone or something? (because that seems like the direction this arc would've taken it if they had explained August more). I mean, there's no way a mom would just not know she had a son. I just don't know...
Maybe he will be explained more later (but probably not) With all this in mind, I somewhat don't mind August's background being a bit vague, instead of explaining it and dissapointing me.
I still really like the Natsu/Zeref stand off, but it bugs me that Natsu just brush's off Zeref's difficulty with the curse of contradiction. Zeref has one of the saddest stories in anime/manga that I've seen, and Natsu's just like "why don't you grow up bro? Make your own happiness." It's Natsu's character to do that, but Zeref's my fav so I'm a lil' salty bout that.
Despite how I've sounded up to this point, I didn't mind the chapter. It was alright.
Excited for the next one.
Especially as of lately though, I've wanted to see en emotional goodbye between Zeref and Mavis when the curse is lifted from Zeref as he dies. I know lifting the curse sounds kinda stupid, but it'd be way too cruel for Fairy Tail to kill him off without at least that much.
Mar 17, 2017 12:44 AM

Jan 2016
Lmao, if Gildarts would have defeated August, then everyone would be raging about how strong August is and how could he be defeated. At least now we now that no one can defeat him cause he's just that strong.

I hate this last Arc but this chapter was ok. Finally we can now shift full focus towards Natsu vs Zeref fight
Mar 17, 2017 1:23 AM
Jan 2011
Jeez, sometimes this forum is just so toxic. I thought it was a beautiful way for August to die. When he was trying to destroy everything, he suddenly saw Mavis and couldn't bring himself to kill his own mother, so he chose to kill himself instead.
Mar 17, 2017 1:41 AM

Dec 2015
Isterio said:

This trainwreck is nearly over and I´m on this ride till it´s pathetic ending, because I´m a completionist and it doesn´t waste my time to read 18 pages a week.

I don't see why everyone else is angry at you for this, I completely agree. I've been reading this mess for around 6 years now and even if it has become this trainwreck, I can't see myself suddenly stopping after those 500 chapters. I'm going to see i through, although it's ultimately been a waste of time.

I was complaining about how Mashima wasted an opportunity with Zeref and Mavis' child and was actually pleasantly surprised after the reveal last chapter. But Mashima completely crushed it the next week. This legitimately makes me angry. So much wasted potential...
It wasn't JUST the writing this time, many panel layouts and some of the poses seemed off (by that I mean, they were distracting and adding anything new, except another 1000th weird shot of Lucy's tits)

Brieanime said:

Though my opinion may be different, since I don't really hate on series. If I don't like a series I'm quiet about it. I don't like to rain on others parade if they like something. Though that may differ here, since this is a discussion tab, but the negativity won't change the series at all. Those who are complaining aren't going to spark some sort of change to the story, it's going to take the route that it takes.

I'm not trying to start an argument or anything but by that logic, the positivity also won't help the story.

I think it's really important for a fandom (or rather a readership) to voice their negative opinion about a work of fiction, especially on discussion sites like these (I doubt Mashima will ever read these/understands english but there are enough japanese equivalents).

It's true that disproportional hate and blaming the author or in general anything other than constructive criticism is worthless (most of the time).
But if you always keep quiet about your negative reaction, you'll never accomplish any change.
Your dissatisfaction might lead to the author improving in their work (in the ideal case).

Also it's sometimes just helpful for people to dissect what they didn't like, so they might gain a clearer understanding of their own taste & standards.

Sometimes, other authors might also improve their own work by analyzing other series and seeing what was good/bad about them...

I just think that the general discussion boards are a good place for negativity and positivity.

Mod Edit: Modified quote of edited post.

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
RawrbertoMar 26, 2017 2:53 PM
Mar 17, 2017 1:51 AM

Dec 2015
Brieanime said:

I'm not trying to start an argument or anything but by that logic, the positivity also won't help the story.

I think it's really important for a fandom (or rather a readership) to voice their negative opinion about a work of fiction, especially on discussion sites like these (I doubt Mashima will ever read these/understands english but there are enough japanese equivalents).

It's true that disproportional hate and blaming the author or in general anything other than constructive criticism is worthless (most of the time).
But if you always keep quiet about your negative reaction, you'll never accomplish any change.
Your dissatisfaction might lead to the author improving in their work (in the ideal case).

Also it's sometimes just helpful for people to dissect what they didn't like, so they might gain a clearer understanding of their own taste & standards.

Sometimes, other authors might also improve their own work by analyzing other series and seeing what was good/bad about them...

I just think that the general discussion boards are a good place for negativity and positivity.
Mar 17, 2017 2:11 AM

Sep 2014
Does anyone even care about Larcade?
Welp that was a shit way for August to go. Wonder if they'll ever realise they had a child.
I'm not looking forward to how Acnologia will meet his end at this rate lol.
Mar 17, 2017 2:58 AM

Mar 2016
Gentlemen, round of applause to Mr. Hiro Mashima for reaching the pinnacle of bullshit once again. This chapter took the WORST possible & imaginable path one can think of.

Unquestionable 1/5. Even -1/5 if I could go lower.

So... Did someone ask what is wrong with this chapter ? Well, let me tell you : Everything.
August's conclusion is just like Eileen's. Both as horribly badly written, stupid & retarded as one another.

"i'll use this magic to destroy you all hurr durrrr"
"o wait theres family here hold on"
"ahhh damn cant bring myself to kill them so better kill muhself instead"
"im sorreh"

Eileen ? Tried to kill her own daughter when she had ALL the chances, ended up piercing herself instead at the sight of Erza.
August ? Tried to self-destruct along with all of Magnolia & its inhabitants, ended up pathetically dying at the sight of her mother, Mavis.

This is so laughable, I don't even. The fight started promising, and just like almost every other Spriggan fight, it ended up being a complete pile of trash. I'm not even kidding, I REALLY was about to love this fight. Even with the fact that of all magic he could use, August tries to self-destruct. I almost loved that... Until Mavis popped up on the scene & threw everything down the Oblivion of bad writing.

Moving on. Natsu vs Zeref is getting more & more boring. Cause so far, well... Nothing really special happened. Just punches here & there, Natsu blabbering about family in a desperate attempt to "Fairy Tail"-ize Zeref. Not that I'm curious to see how that fight will play out (And tbh I'm not expecting anything great) but oh well.
Next chapter is called "Dragon Demon." This doubled my interest now.
Yep, doubled.
0% -> 0%.

nerfx said:
Does anyone even care about Larcade?
Welp that was a shit way for August to go. Wonder if they'll ever realise they had a child.
I'm not looking forward to how Acnologia will meet his end at this rate lol.

I stopped caring about Larcade the moment he was pathetically defeated by Sting&co. And I don't think Mavis even gave two shits about August's last words.
Acno taken down by Naked Lucy Fire Kick. Calling it.
Mar 17, 2017 5:30 AM

Sep 2014
LOL August commited suicide and also this week we had another seminar regarding friendship and family. Let's add another 1/5 for this horrendus arc.
Mar 17, 2017 5:44 AM

Feb 2012
How did the 1st not know she has a kid lol? She even saw him in the air and didn't felt anything.

Do people in Magunolia give birth with some different way? Kid just appears in front of you and you might not know is it yours or not.
Mar 17, 2017 5:50 AM

Apr 2010
G_Spark233 said:
What a terrible way for August to go.

This.
I don't think he even "had to go" at all.
Would have liked to see Mavis beat some sense into him somehow.
YT: Gaming (gw2,...), cons and more: http://www.youtube.com/user/Vercammen312
Monster girls club card: http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=27137
See profile for exemples.
Mar 17, 2017 6:32 AM
Jan 2013
The way for August to go is just... just... sudden? I don't know what to say...
Mar 17, 2017 6:38 AM
Oct 2013
Jacksnapp said:

I don't see why everyone else is angry at you for this, I completely agree. I've been reading this mess for around 6 years now and even if it has become this trainwreck, I can't see myself suddenly stopping after those 500 chapters. I'm going to see i through, although it's ultimately been a waste of time.

I was complaining about how Mashima wasted an opportunity with Zeref and Mavis' child and was actually pleasantly surprised after the reveal last chapter. But Mashima completely crushed it the next week. This legitimately makes me angry. So much wasted potential...
It wasn't JUST the writing this time, many panel layouts and some of the poses seemed off (by that I mean, they were distracting and adding anything new, except another 1000th weird shot of Lucy's tits)

I don´t really feel attacked as it´s just the aforementioned people that get defensive over my criticisms. I agree with all of your points, though I do not mind getting confrontational, wether it´s real life or over the internet. When someone has nothing I consider valueable to add I just ignore them since they don´t matter to begin with.
But let´s get back on topic. Fairy Tail always was a controversial series because of it´s upbringing. From the getgo it was deemed a One Piece ripoff by The One Piece fanbase and while the more reasonable people, including me, thought of it as a series, that may have been inspired by One Piece, but certainly had the same inspirational roots any modern succesful Battle Shounen has, Dragon Ball.

Personally I´m following the series for around 9 years now since early in it´s conception. Not knowing what I was getting myself into, before I started reading. The only reason for my curiosity being the scanalation sites I was using promoting it vehemently. But I immediately got hooked after reading the first panel and was introduced to "Sieglein". A clear reference to Ravemaster, which I had thoroughly enjoyed till complition and also one of my two favorite characters in the seires itself. Fairy Tail continued revealing itself to be the next big Shounen Manga in Japan as well as globally rivaling the "Big 3", a term I didn´t knew at the time, in popularity and quality, with ups downs. Then the 7 year Tenru Island timeskip happened and throughout the arc leading up to it, we were given conclusions to already introduced questions, but also given more questions that impacted the story as whole in an overarcing manner, while the powercreep kept expanding alongside the world and it´s lore by connecting seemingly every plotline relevant to Earthland together. Something Fairy Tail had avoided with it´s mostly self contained Sagas before. Seemingly ushering a new era for the series. Promises were made, developments were hinted upon, just to not only regress them back, but instead remove the majority of the supporting cast from the spotlight it had,to instead keep repeating the same boring conclusions with the inner main cast for most of the time.

The decline of Fairy Tail started with it´s first timeskip since everything from there on out was interconnected and flaws from one bad arc were either carried over or repeated in the next one. It didn´t help to introduce a plehtora of uneeded characters that contributed nothing, barely mattered to anything, either.
It only enhanced the problems the series already had.

Priorities were also thrown out the window, buildup, fighting correopgraphy, pacing, all were bygone to force cheap laughs or fanservice into a chapter.
IsterioMar 21, 2017 5:02 PM
Mar 17, 2017 6:47 AM
Apr 2011
Loved the chapter. It was un-fucking-believable. ANDRE!?!! ANDRE!?!?!?!
4 8 15 16 23 42 4 8 15 16 23 42 4 8 15 16 23 42 4 8 15 16 23 42

http://putridcheese.deviantart.com
http://www.booksie.com/tosh/
http://stoptazmo.com/
Mar 17, 2017 10:05 AM

Jun 2013
I am usually one that comments with positive things and likes even if rest of the FT forums are saying chapter is shit...but here....I Say that I am honestly disappointed how August left from series...that should have gone better. Hiro-sensei whould have really done that better. everybody really have said it well, this has some serious wasted potential.
JarjaxleMar 17, 2017 10:08 AM
Victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.~Winston Churchill

"Fate of the universe will be Decided as it SHOULD be, in MORTAL KOMBAT!" ~Elder Gods

"Justice WILL Prevail?" "But OF COURSE IT WILL!! WHOEVER WINS, BECOMES THE JUSTICE!!!" ~Donquixote Doflamingo (King, Pirate, Shichibukai, Philosopher(?) (One Piece))
Mar 17, 2017 10:14 AM

Sep 2013
Fans: This arc can't get any worse.
Hiro: HOLD MY BEER.

...I love that meme.

Anyways...Yeah. Uh. No words really. Fairy Tail is one of my favorite series of all time but this is awful and nonsensical. It's getting very hard to stay loyal to this series.

August was hyped for almost 2 years (July 22nd, 2015.) He barely fought and now he's gone. I understood why he stopped his attack but at the same time the way he went out was disappointing. I feel insulted over this writing.

This is literally what happened to August: POOF I AM DEAD.

At this point, I seriously believe Acnologia will be defeated by Happy.

1/5- Zeref looks really cool. That's about it.
TehSnawnMar 17, 2017 10:36 AM

Mar 17, 2017 10:24 AM

Jan 2014
> Mashima pulls off an attack that wipes out enemy
"oh boohoo this is such bullshit"

> Mashima kills off an extremely powerful enemy without some nakama power up thing

there's seriously no winning with you people
Mar 17, 2017 11:25 AM
Sep 2016
Wonder who's saltier between people who are getting angry at the manga for legitimate reasons and people who are getting angry at people getting angry at the manga. It sure seems like one category can't handle criticism all that well though. If those topics were created for the sole purpose of sucking each others off at how great Fairy Tail is, which it isn't, there would be no point. We are allowed to vent our negativity just as you are allowed to express your positivity, it works both ways.

It's not like people suddenly decided that FT was going to shit, it's been several years since the fans started complaining about the overall quality of the series. In my case I was never a fan to begin with, I always thought FT was a subpar shonen but I did acknowledge its potential and wanted to see more. If I myself am thoroughly disappointed with the nonsense we've been served each week for a while, it's not hard to imagine why true fans would get legitimately upset. You can't just brush off negative criticism by saying they're just hopping on the hatewagon.

Getting back to the chapter itself, the big problem here is, again, the execution. The concept of August's defeat COULD work, but because it's already been used some mere 3 chapters ago and because August's character is simply unexploited as a whole, it just comes off as cheap and lazy. He saw his mother and cancelled his attack and died. Okay fine. Am I supposed to get emotional for a character no one gives a shit about? No point whatsoever.
Mar 17, 2017 11:35 AM
Oct 2013
madao-sama said:
> Mashima pulls off an attack that wipes out enemy with 100% health in one hit,

> Mashima kills off an extremely powerful enemy without some nakama power up thing, with nonsensical development that didn´t had any development prior and probably won´t receive any past this chapter.

there's seriously no winning with you people

Fixed that for you.

And if you wanna get technical. Here´s a checklist to bring this bullshit writing to regular Shounen level.

1. Have the villains struggle against Fairy Tails attacks!
2 .Don´t make them overpower the FT cast untill they pull out their "awesome one hit kill attack" in return!
3. Let a fight between two people last more than a single chapter!
4. Apply actual tactics to your fights!
Last chapter it was revealed that August cannot counter Cana´s attacks.
It went nowhere!
5. Make the characters work together to beat an enemy!
People didn´t complain whent Natsu and Gray defeated Mard Geer through teamwork.

It was somewhat bullshit that Gray was capeable of dispelling Memento Morti, but that´s a flaw with the spell individually not with the fight as a whole, which otherwise was well executed.It took Lucy to summon the Celestial Spirit King who supposedly is a broken summon to damage the guy and then Natsu and Gray had both to reach the brink of exhaustion to beat him.

More of that, less of this chapters horsehit and Fairy Tail would be a well received battle Shounen, probably on the level of One Piece.
IsterioMar 21, 2017 5:04 PM
Mar 17, 2017 11:38 AM

May 2015
Oh well, the Augustus scene was surprisingly nice.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 17, 2017 11:38 AM

Oct 2015
Almost 2 years of hype, + reveals in a chapter he's the son of mavis and zeref, then he kills himself WITHOUT Mavis or Zeref, or anyone realizing why August did that.

I mean, it's because of Mavis indirectly, but from her point of view, an enemy just vanished randomly.

I really liked the revelation about Mavis (somehow...) had a son, but this chapter is just bullshit.

It's like Negan killed himself in The Walking Dead in the 7th season 1st episode after that enormous hype, instead of.. (you know who).

I completely agree with people being so angry, but I'll keep hoping for something better.
Mar 17, 2017 11:41 AM
Oct 2013
BobaFouette said:

Getting back to the chapter itself, the big problem here is, again, the execution. The concept of August's defeat COULD work, but because it's already been used some mere 3 chapters ago and because August's character is simply unexploited as a whole, it just comes off as cheap and lazy. He saw his mother and cancelled his attack and died. Okay fine. Am I supposed to get emotional for a character no one gives a shit about? No point whatsoever.

Summed it up. I may add that not only wasn´t his character underdeveloped. He was build up to require a tactical takedown due to his superiority in skill, which was dismissed for the sake of this plottwist.

This is the most annoying part of Hiro´s wiriting. The unneeded plottwist. He builds something up, wether it is a character, a fight or an important event and inbetween it´s development says fuck it and either skips it or delivers the complete opposite of what he promised. You don´t do that as a writer, you don´t change direction on a whim. That´s the equivalent of being a parent, telling your children that you´ll bring them to Disneyland and at the last minute you appear and tell them either that the trip was canceled or that you go to seaworld instead now.
Mar 17, 2017 12:37 PM

Jul 2013
What a shitty way for August to die. For being the son of two of the strongest and most importants mages of the manga, his character feels like one of the other random Spriggans. But, considering Mashima's track with this arc, I'm not even surprised.

Prince said:
How many chapters till Acnologia gets one-shot?
He's in the same place as Erza, so...
Mar 17, 2017 1:37 PM

May 2015
Meh, August death was so...boring like the last 100(?) chapters of FT.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Mar 17, 2017 2:04 PM

Sep 2013
At least August went out because emotions and not gildarts/cana.
Natsu/zeref bonds still there for some reason.
Mar 17, 2017 11:06 PM

Jun 2014
Jesus Christ..........this series needs to end ASAP because I'm going to have a heart attack or something. The way August went out was extremely pathetic:

"Oh I'm gonna kill myself and take the whole world with me."

*sees mother in the distance*

"Lol never mind peace bitches."

I'm fully convinced that Mashima just doesn't give a shit anymore. He knows the diehards will literally eat up all the crap he shits out, so what's the point of putting in effort. Honestly though, I feel like once again, Mashima wrote himself into a corner with how powerful he made August, so I guess this was literally the only way he could get rid of him. Still a joke though.

Oh yeah, almost forgot Larcade died too. Whatever, I didn't care about him at all. In fact, you could straight up erase Larcade's existence from this arc and nothing of value would be lost.
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Mar 18, 2017 12:25 AM

May 2010
So August was Mavis' and Zeref's son. He planned to destroy everything at the cost of his own life but then he saw his mom and just couldn't. Tho ye why would he take part in a war against her if he can't hurt her. Kinda stupid.
TragicRomanceMar 18, 2017 12:30 AM
Mar 18, 2017 2:23 AM
Oct 2011
So the strongest mage just suicides like that

Goes from "I'm going to wipe you all" to "hug me please"

Ok
Mar 18, 2017 6:03 AM

Jun 2012
Is nobody going to comment on next week's chapter title??

Dragon Demon... guess those seeds didn't really go POOF after all. I'm all for Natsu to turn into a Dragon/Demon megamix as long as he still has his wits about him.
Mar 18, 2017 6:49 AM

Jul 2014
Zeref, was that necessary? I love this guy but I really don't understand him.
I actually feel bad for August.
Natsu calling Zeref brother, what.
Mar 18, 2017 7:10 AM
Oct 2015
prism2525 said:
Is nobody going to comment on next week's chapter title??

Dragon Demon... guess those seeds didn't really go POOF after all. I'm all for Natsu to turn into a Dragon/Demon megamix as long as he still has his wits about him.

MS version says "Evil Dragon", it could also be a hint to Acnologia.
Mar 18, 2017 9:04 AM

Feb 2015
That was a pretty epic chapter, and seems like next one is going to rock as well.
Mar 18, 2017 12:38 PM

Jan 2016
That was bad even for FT standards
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fairy Tail Chapter 321 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Hyodou - Mar 1, 2013

109 by aoo-kun »»
Today, 6:26 AM

Poll: » Fairy Tail Chapter 320 Discussion ( 1 2 )

247Eyes - Feb 22, 2013

71 by aoo-kun »»
Today, 6:09 AM

Poll: » Fairy Tail Chapter 318 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Azokrad - Feb 7, 2013

100 by aoo-kun »»
Yesterday, 6:34 AM

Poll: » Fairy Tail Chapter 310 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Kanic - Nov 30, 2012

82 by aoo-kun »»
May 16, 5:52 AM

Poll: » Fairy Tail Chapter 306 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

azeriraz - Nov 1, 2012

111 by aoo-kun »»
May 16, 5:00 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.