Forum Settings
Forums

Is it ok in being considerate in terms of rating an anime?

New
Apr 23, 2016 6:59 PM

Aug 2014
I've already watched 200+ anime, and when I score them I try it to be as positive as possible. Now, my mean score is 7+, and I think it's a pretty abnormal mean score here in MAL... Is it okay if I keep up with this attitude or do I need to be stricter?
sup
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 23, 2016 7:03 PM

Sep 2014
Why should you let anyone else deter how you rate things, this is stupid. If everyone rated the same how boring would discussions be. No you shouldn't change, if that's how you rate things then that's how you rate things. It's stupid to try and change the way you rate to try and fit in.
when ur about to have a refreshing sip of earl grey tea and someone says "traps are gay"
Apr 23, 2016 7:04 PM

Feb 2013
There's no right or wrong way to rate your own personal anime list. Like, shit, who even cares whether some other guy rated Elfen Lied a 1 or 2?
Apr 23, 2016 7:04 PM
Jan 2013
If your mean score is above 7.44 you're going to explode to death and diiiiiiiie

I'm so sorry for you
gone bai bai
Apr 23, 2016 7:05 PM

Nov 2015
depends what you use the ratings for
Apr 23, 2016 7:05 PM

Oct 2014
I've completed 500 anime and my mean is 4.8 and rising (I'm watching fewer shorts now). My mean for full length TV series was 6.3 the last time I checked, but even that is lower than the global mean for users which is 7.2. Quality is relative, but if the anime you watch is all really good compared to other media you've seen then having a high mean would be respectable.
Apr 23, 2016 7:06 PM

Sep 2015
I think that a 7 average is the score most people on this site have.

There is no issue as long as you are not adjusting your scores to seem more alligned with other scores on the site.

If you think something is worth a 4, give it a 4, don't be nice and give it a 7 because it wasn't that bad or something.

Just don't lie to yourself.

Rarity is Best Pony!
Apr 23, 2016 7:07 PM

Nov 2015
Doesn't matter to me does it?

I mean people can always check your mean score for context while going through your list. If that's the way you rate, I don't think you should change that just for the sake of fitting in..
Apr 23, 2016 7:09 PM

Mar 2014
1. You've must have watched over 200 great anime.
or
2.You just don't feel like giving an anime a bad rating and try to give it the best score that you believe it deserves.
You should just continue to rate anime as you have been. If you feel like you have to score a certain way then it really isn't your opinion anymore...
Menzo- said:
Why should you let anyone else deter how you rate things, this is stupid. If everyone rated the same how boring would discussions be. No you shouldn't change, if that's how you rate things then that's how you rate things. It's stupid to try and change the way you rate to try and fit in.
Apr 23, 2016 7:09 PM
Oct 2014
keimaconquesta said:
I've already watched 200+ anime, and when I score them I try it to be as positive as possible. Now, my mean score is 7+, and I think it's a pretty abnormal mean score here in MAL... Is it okay if I keep up with this attitude or do I need to be stricter?

That's not an abnormal mean score by any stretch of the imagination. My mean score is just over 6, and I think that's unusually low.

Go ahead and score however you want. No one's going to come after you with torches and pitchforks.
Apr 23, 2016 7:15 PM

Aug 2015
From what I remember, the MAL users mean score is over 7, thus, it's definitely not abnormal.

You asked if you should be stricter? Well, that's up to you and how you rate the series you watch. If you want to do so for yourself, because you're not satisfied of the current way you're giving ratings, then, you should feel free to change it.

But, if it's only because you're influenced by other people mean scores and stuff like that, I think you shouldn't care about that and keep rating the series you watch the way you want.

Lastly, if you want to contribute and give MAL ratings more pertinence, then, if you aren't already, you should use their proposed rating system (10=Masterpiece, 9=Great, 8=Very good, etc.)
Apr 23, 2016 7:35 PM

Jun 2015
It doesn't matter at all.

As long as you're using the actual 1-10 rating scale correctly, don't worry your pretty little head about it.
Apr 23, 2016 7:50 PM
Feb 2014
It's not just OK to be considerate, it's recommended you be considerate.

Like salty anime fans can do any better.
Apr 23, 2016 7:52 PM

Mar 2016
People care a lot less about anime ratings than you might think
The only way for you to get attention in regards to those is if you have a really weird list, like with 3 as your highest score or something
"I like young-girl sexual creations, Lolicon is just one hobby of my many hobbies," he says.
I ask what his wife, standing nearby, thinks of his "hobby".
"She probably thinks no problem," he replies. "Because she loves young boys sexually interacting with each other."
Apr 23, 2016 7:56 PM
May 2015
Honestly, why does it matter what people think of you? I have a mean score of 7.8 and I really don't care if people think I'm a casual. Hell' I'd rather be a casual than a salty elitist.

Apr 23, 2016 8:22 PM

Apr 2014
It's fine, I usually more lenient in rating some "just for fun" anime and tend to be more strict when rating a show that take itself seriously.
Apr 23, 2016 10:55 PM

May 2015
Why are you considerate?

It's good to find the positives. I try to find the positives, too. If an anime does a single thing right, it will most likely end up with a positive rating.

But I still find a lot of crap. I guess my standards are just higher.

Do you really enjoy all these anime you rate so high?
WEAPONS - My blog, for reviews of music, anime, books, and other things
Apr 23, 2016 10:57 PM

Jul 2012
At least going by MALgraph the global mean rating is at 7.15. So if anything being a bit above 7 is about as physically average of a mean score as you can get.
Apr 23, 2016 11:00 PM

Nov 2009
keimaconquesta said:

I've watched over 700 anime, and I rate most of them a 7. Because if they were not good, I would not have watched them, right?

Seriously, every individual user's rating style does not matter, as long as you keep your rating style consistent, it will work fine.
Apr 24, 2016 1:50 AM

Sep 2015
Why wouldn't it be okay? It's YOUR anime list. You watch and rate it as you see accordingly. Everyone has their own manner of rating. Everyone decudes whether or not they will be strict or lenient.
Sure, you'll have people who may send you hate or whatever because of it, but that speaks volumes about them, not you. If you're happy with your ratings, then keep them as is. Don't change them just for the sake of changing them. If you believe all the 8s you've given were 8s, then keep like them that. There's no reason to change them just because you're...scared? Of your mean score.

At the end of the day, anime is an entertainment medium. If you find yourself being entertained and enjoying everything you watch, even a little bit, then you can give it a positive rating. You might put less thought into the bad side and only focus on the positives, and that's fine.
It's an entirely different kind of flying, altogether!
It's an entirely different kind of flying.
Apr 24, 2016 2:30 AM

Mar 2016
Rate how you like, it's your list at the end of the day. I personally try to use the full scale so that my ratings are spread out more, but it's ultimately your choice.

Menzo- said:
If everyone rated the same how boring would discussions be.

I don't see how that works, if everyone used the rating system the same way it would probably help this site.
Apr 24, 2016 2:35 AM

Mar 2015
No doubt it's good to be as positive as possible when you rate anime. After all, a lot of time and effort went in to making the anime.
“Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only, truth. But the world isn't perfect, and the law is incomplete..." -Alphonse Elric

"Then and now, what I protect has never changed!" -Sakata Gintoki

I'll take anything like The Pet Girl of Sakurasou. Anything as good as that.
Apr 24, 2016 2:44 AM

Dec 2015
It's okay to rate higher. I mean a lot of people try to read the description of an anime first before watching. And if you are good at it you can already filter a lot of bad/boring shows you won't like. Also episode 1 often gives a good feeling and is enough most of the time. (Even though some people have some "3 episode rule".) If then you have a rule to only rate completed shows you might only rate the stuff you liked. (Otherwise you would not have completed it if you aren't someone that watches everything until end even the boring stuff.)

Then there are 2nd seasons of some stuff that you would watch only if you liked 1st season. (Which means the probability that you would like it is higher.)

I usually drop early if I start do dislike it for more than a few episodes without getting better (only if I already completed about 50 percent of the show I might watch it completely).

To rate it very low it must be very bad and really piss me of. I'd have to watch a show I hate until end like I did back then with Lucky Star. (Had I watched only 2-3 episodes and then dropped it I might have rated even 5 or so instead of 1.) But stuff like that - which I'd rated 5 or lower and drop it after 1st episode - are usually filtered already because I read descriptions and I know which genre and stuff I like. And I'm correct most if the time.
Apr 24, 2016 2:50 AM

Mar 2015
Its okay if you keep up with this attitude. No one gonna pay you if you are stricter anyway.
This salad is salty favored
Apr 24, 2016 2:52 AM

Jul 2015
GaryMuffuginOak said:
No doubt it's good to be as positive as possible when you rate anime. After all, a lot of time and effort went in to making the anime.
I don't think making a generic harem need any effort
Apr 24, 2016 2:57 AM

Jun 2015
The answer will always be

Why should you even care?

Being serious here. If you think you're being honest then fuck standards and averages.
Apr 24, 2016 2:59 AM

May 2015
KuuhakuDesu said:
The worst thing that can happen is you being called "casual".

I don't think it's wrong. You could have a 9 or a 1 as mean score, , and it would still be okay, as long as it's your true opinion.
THIS

whatever score you have is fine; this is why I try my best not to restrict giving out 1s, 2s, 9s, and 10s

GaryMuffuginOak said:
wow you are stupid
Freddy Nicholas said:
have control, be yourself, god is dead
Apr 24, 2016 4:57 AM

Feb 2013
keimaconquesta said:
no, you need to be stricter with those chinese cartoons
literally 90% of all chinese cartoon is crap
Apr 24, 2016 5:05 AM

Dec 2012
It's okay to rate an anime however you want considering our should mean nothing to anyone other than ourselves
Apr 24, 2016 5:29 AM

Mar 2016
It's totally ok . If you're fine and ok with being positive and considerate , then keep it up . Don't force yourself to be strict if that's not what you are . As long as you think you're being true to yourself and your opinion , there's no need to change
Apr 24, 2016 5:38 AM
Aug 2013
I think your scoring system looks fine. If you want to be more strict and feel like your standards have changed then that's fine too, ultimately your score should reflect your honest opinion.
Apr 24, 2016 5:42 AM

Mar 2015
tragedydesu said:
GaryMuffuginOak said:
I don't think making a generic harem need any effort

It's not like the animators work for hours on end and are paid little to nothing anyways. Not like the voice actors really have to say any lines. Not like the director has to direct anything. If you think it's easy, you should try it yourself. Face it, you just dislike harems, but your 9/10 SAO score begs the differ...

Malarkey said:

GaryMuffuginOak said:
wow you are stupid

Golly, what a creative and original insult! Sure says a lot about you! Ironic how you describe yourself as having an INFP Personality. "INFP personalities are true idealists, always looking for the hint of good in even the worst of people and events, searching for ways to make things better. While they may be perceived as calm, reserved, or even shy, INFPs have an inner flame and passion that can truly shine. "
“Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only, truth. But the world isn't perfect, and the law is incomplete..." -Alphonse Elric

"Then and now, what I protect has never changed!" -Sakata Gintoki

I'll take anything like The Pet Girl of Sakurasou. Anything as good as that.
Apr 24, 2016 9:19 AM
Oct 2014
ColdBreeze said:
It has a disadvantage though. If you have a mean score of 7+ or even 8+ it's kind of hard to tell which anime was really exceptional good because you rated a bunch of them with a 9-10.

This is an excellent point, and it's the main reason why I have such a low mean score. Spreading out the score over a wider range allows me more room to distinguish between the qualities of the shows.

It's something that should at least be considered by anyone rating shows, even if it doesn't change they way they score.
Apr 24, 2016 9:28 AM

Dec 2015
Only if ur dad allows it.

Just go by gut feeling when scoring, thats what most ppl do :p
Also its ok to have a mean score of 7+, just dont forget to be critical from time to time.
Scoring MoD a 2 is a bit too nice however....way too nice
Apr 24, 2016 9:30 AM
Jul 2018
If you've watched more than 200 anime your mean score should naturally end up close to 5.5.

If it's a lot higher or a lot lower than 5.5 there is a very strong possibility (not certainty) that you're doing something wrong.
Usually it's not using the rating scale properly. Remember that 5 means average, but since you can't vote 0 on MAL -- making 5.5 the middle ground, not 5 -- most of your scores should be either 5 or 6.

MAL Graph shows that you give way too many 8s. Like, one third of stuff you've watched are 8s. Even if you only watch stuff that you're guaranteed to love, with hundreds of anime under your belt, there's just no way that can be right.
Apr 24, 2016 9:31 AM

Oct 2014
If that's how you want to rate then it's fine. If you ask for a 100 point scale because there's "not enough ratings to use" then you use the full scale instead and rate some anime lower. After time I realized that the size of my list would no longer work on a 6 point scale which is why I scaled my scores down.
zombie_pegasusApr 24, 2016 9:34 AM
Apr 24, 2016 10:08 AM
Oct 2014
Wensbane said:
If you've watched more than 200 anime your mean score should naturally end up close to 5.5.

If it's a lot higher or a lot lower than 5.5 there is a very strong possibility (not certainty) that you're doing something wrong.
Usually it's not using the rating scale properly. Remember that 5 means average, but since you can't vote 0 on MAL -- making 5.5 the middle ground, not 5 -- most of your scores should be either 5 or 6.

Although I mostly agree with you (and good point on the 5 vs. 5.5), I should point out that there's nothing wrong with dropping a show because you don't like it, and there's nothing wrong with not rating a show because you didn't finish it.

In other words, it's perfectly reasonable for someone to never score a show 2 or 1. In fact, some people might not finish a show they consider below average, so they may not ever score a show less than 5.

This has a tendency to push up the mean score, so in that case we would expect it to be significantly higher than 5.5.
Apr 24, 2016 10:12 AM

May 2015
I, myself, tend to give pretty high scores to the anime I watch, so I might be a little biased. I think that you should just score them what you truly think. It doesn't matter if it's way higher or lower than the mean score. Don't worry about stuff like that :)

Apr 24, 2016 10:25 AM
Ribbit

May 2015
Just rate how ya like. If you really liked a series and think it deserves a high score, give it one. If you hated something and think it deserves a low score, give it one. Doesn't really matter what other people think or rate it, just rate it what you think is right. - Coming from someone who has an 8.68 mean score...
Apr 24, 2016 10:38 AM

Jan 2016
7+ is pretty abnormal you think? Boy, you should look at the way I rate anime ;)
Apr 24, 2016 10:41 AM

Aug 2014
TheMoonServant said:
7+ is pretty abnormal you think? Boy, you should look at the way I rate anime ;)
Damn those 10s, lol.

@OT
No just rate however you want to rate, having a meanscore of 7+ is not wrong, it just means you enjoy quite alot of the shows you watch.
Apr 24, 2016 10:44 AM

Oct 2014
lasterrending said:

Although I mostly agree with you (and good point on the 5 vs. 5.5), I should point out that there's nothing wrong with dropping a show because you don't like it, and there's nothing wrong with not rating a show because you didn't finish it.

In other words, it's perfectly reasonable for someone to never score a show 2 or 1. In fact, some people might not finish a show they consider below average, so they may not ever score a show less than 5.

This has a tendency to push up the mean score, so in that case we would expect it to be significantly higher than 5.5.
If you distinguish between "anime" and "show" you could say I've never rated a show a 1 or 2 but I still have a low mean (you still might consider anime like High Score to be "shows", but length wise they're more like OVAs or short films). If I didn't watch/rate shorts my mean would be a lot higher.
Apr 24, 2016 10:48 AM

Jan 2016
Snappynator said:
TheMoonServant said:
Damn those 10s, lol.

@OT
No just rate however you want to rate, having a meanscore of 7+ is not wrong, it just means you enjoy quite alot of the shows you watch.

But I enjoyed everything I saw too :x... Except those 9s, they were slow for me, but I still enjoyed them :D
Apr 24, 2016 11:30 AM
Oct 2014
zombie_pegasus said:
lasterrending said:

If you distinguish between "anime" and "show" you could say I've never rated a show a 1 or 2 but I still have a low mean (you still might consider anime like High Score to be "shows", but length wise they're more like OVAs or short films). If I didn't watch/rate shorts my mean would be a lot higher.

That makes sense. Generally for OVA's or specials that belong to another series, I usually just give them the same score as the series they belong to. But if you watch a lot of independent shorts that you decide to finish even though you don't like them because they're not that long anyway, I suppose it's expected to see quite a few 1's or 2's.

My point was just that a lot of people don't watch shorts, don't finish everything they watch, and don't rate shows they don't finish. Not everyone, but enough that you would expect to see the mean score moderately higher than "average."
Apr 24, 2016 12:21 PM

Nov 2015
How Beta do you gotta be to ask this question, OP?
Ecchi till I die all these Lolis call me senpai
Rubbing on her thighs, she stay wet for her senpai
Shawty so kawaii, and would die for her senpai
Ride, and watch hentai, all the time with senpai
Apr 24, 2016 12:30 PM

Dec 2014
Why do people take ratings so seriously? I never really understood that. Just rate anime the way you want to. It's simple.
Apr 24, 2016 12:39 PM

Oct 2015
People should do what they want and stop submitting to what
the masses expect them to do.

Though it's all narrowed down to how you rate if
based on personal enjoyment, critic level or
the pseudo-intellectual bs

Give it a 5 if you think it deserves 5
Give it a 10 if you think it deserves 10
Apr 24, 2016 12:39 PM

Oct 2014
TheMoonServant said:
Snappynator said:
Damn those 10s, lol.

@OT

But I enjoyed everything I saw too :x... Except those 9s, they were slow for me, but I still enjoyed them :D
I could do a 0/1 rating system too, but it just doesn't give enough options. It also doesn't show your taste very well. In comparison to your two point scale a five point scale is actually very useful. This is one of the reasons why the "average score" scale would have a good implementation. Pretty much all the anime you've seen you have rated as being "slightly above average" in comparison to your mean.
Apr 24, 2016 12:41 PM

Jul 2013
You just rate like you feel. Your ratings are personal things after all.
Apr 24, 2016 12:49 PM

Jan 2016
zombie_pegasus said:
TheMoonServant said:

I could do a 0/1 rating system too, but it just doesn't give enough options. It also doesn't show your taste very well. In comparison to your two point scale a five point scale is actually very useful. This is one of the reasons why the "average score" scale would have a good implementation. Pretty much all the anime you've seen you have rated as being "slightly above average" in comparison to your mean.

well, my rating isn't exactly 0/1.. It's just that according to my tastes, the animes I've seen didn't have any flaws, except for those who are rated below 10... For example, if the anime has smth I don't like, but smth else pays up to it, I will not lower the rating, but... If it has smth I don't like and nothing pays up to it, I will lower the rating except slow ones, when an anime is too slow for me, I will give it an unavoidable 9.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» What distract you from anime ??

lezbifriends - Yesterday

25 by AryaVai »»
2 minutes ago

» GINTAMA THREAD

tsukareru - 3 hours ago

11 by Coaghim »»
7 minutes ago

» What device(s) do you watch anime content on?

DesuMaiden - Yesterday

48 by Yakazi »»
8 minutes ago

» 🌹 Anime Questionnaire 2024 🌹 ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - May 16

81 by notPara »»
8 minutes ago

» Do you care if bland MC gets assaulted by your favourite waifu?

Sanjay63773 - 2 hours ago

7 by Maou_heika »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.