Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Dec 17, 2007 9:11 AM

Nov 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Kind of confusing. And the part with the Rei-clones floating around, Really creepy o_o

As for the battle, good as usual. Again, REALLY creepy when Shinji's hand get's this little organic face nodule thing poking out and it starts to speak XD

Only 1 angel left to fight! I expect an epic battle, and/or something really crazy and mind bending to happen.

3 episodes left!
Jun 13, 2008 6:51 PM
Oct 2007
Ahhh..

The only word that comes to my mind atm...
Aug 26, 2008 12:57 PM

Jun 2007
interesting episode.

so many secrets revealed, so many questions arising.

so... thats the third rei... i guess she didn't die ever since the crazy lady that invented magi choked the first one...

also, asuka D=
Sep 2, 2008 7:39 AM

May 2007
What. The. F***.

I can't see where this anime is going to.
Oct 22, 2008 6:38 PM

Jan 2008
What. Was. That. ?

Rei is a clone and the dummy plug is powered by Rei clones?
Nov 14, 2008 10:20 AM

Aug 2008
CanadaAotS said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Kind of confusing. And the part with the Rei-clones floating around, Really creepy o_o

As for the battle, good as usual. Again, REALLY creepy when Shinji's hand get's this little organic face nodule thing poking out and it starts to speak XD

Only 1 angel left to fight! I expect an epic battle, and/or something really crazy and mind bending to happen.

3 episodes left!

If you think its creepy how come youre laughing and not being afraid?
Nov 26, 2008 8:53 PM
May 2008
I kind of suspected something after that explosion and you could see the blood in the plug that there would be no way she would be able to come back from that, but yet she still did. At this point in time I thought of the word "clone", but then quickly dismissed that seeing the tech they have in that supposed 2015 and then a few minutes later, it shows them. More ways for them to fuck with my mind...3 eps left :(
Dec 3, 2008 1:26 PM

Apr 2008
my synopsis of this episode: WTF!!!!
Rei was a clone!!!!
creepy dummy plug XD
"Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. And some will lose more than the tips off their fingers, I promise you. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that"
Dec 28, 2008 8:22 AM

May 2008
Cero said:
I kind of suspected something after that explosion and you could see the blood in the plug that there would be no way she would be able to come back from that, but yet she still did. At this point in time I thought of the word "clone", but then quickly dismissed that seeing the tech they have in that supposed 2015 and then a few minutes later, it shows them. More ways for them to fuck with my mind...3 eps left :(

I was thinking the same thing too. I was hoping it's not what I think but...well. D:

Rei was a clone all along o.O
Jan 7, 2009 10:26 PM

Jul 2008
I always thought there was something funny about Rei's background, but this was unexpected. All those floating Rei was just WTF.
Mar 26, 2009 4:31 AM

Jan 2009
This episode is just to fuck with ur mind. I actually tought that the real Rei was inside the Eva, then 5 secs later i tought: "Meh, probably its a clone", i guess i was right... then that scene of those floating Reis was just... seriusly WHAT THE FUCK?

And as always i just wanna smash Shinji's head with a fucking hammer. Im still waiting for the 'wich' is SEELE real purpose. Is getting annoying.

My Anime List. | 皆は見つけられる必要がある。 | Relentless.
Jul 21, 2009 5:11 AM
Oct 2008
What just happened?!
Jul 26, 2009 5:56 AM

Jul 2007
God, I had a feeling Rei was a clone but - all the Rei's floating around - kinda freaky o_o
Gotta get onto the next episode. Oh boy, this anime gets ever more crazy.

You told me to make you feel [color=#CC6600]like you're in heaven
[/color]
Aug 2, 2009 5:32 AM

Jul 2009
Rei is a clone and the dummy plug is powered by Rei clones!!! wha a hellt??
Aug 27, 2009 12:54 PM

Jun 2009
My reaction: I fucking love this show. Especially this last half.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Oct 2, 2009 2:46 PM

Oct 2007
Freaky episode... especially the part where Rei and Shinji was fighting against the angel.
Oct 16, 2009 6:31 AM

Apr 2009
...um o.o
Seriously, I suspected Rei of being a clone (of Yui in some way, maybe?) since forever, but that was just creepy.

But what I really want to know is how's Touji. I miss him D:
- If you believe this place holds you, it is a prison.
If you do not wish to leave, it will become a fortress.

Current icon:
Kusuriuri from Mononoke
by pana (LJ username)
Nov 9, 2009 2:34 PM

Feb 2009
NOOO Rei...you were just a product in my mind :'(

Seriously that last part was fucked up, Rei....
Dec 7, 2009 10:05 PM

Apr 2009
Poor Rei, or whatever she really is. The dummy system was just a cloning system.
Dec 27, 2009 3:25 PM

Dec 2009
Soooo...

Ikari made Ritsuko Seele's universal ho instead of Rei?

And this anime continues to um, shock and scar me >_>
Dec 30, 2009 6:30 AM
May 2008
So many questions, and we keep getting more!!! I guess this clears up some things concerning Rei though.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Jan 8, 2010 3:40 PM
Jun 2008
Well, does this episode means that Rei never existed? She is just a... robot (dunno if this is the appropriate word)?

Also, I thought from the very beggining of this anime that Shinji was the weakest character of Evangelion, but this episode proved that I was wrong... O.O
May 15, 2010 5:27 PM

Aug 2008
Love makes people very stupid. Some guy doesn't love you so you do stupid, crazy shit. How typical. :eyeroll:
Jun 4, 2010 5:38 PM
Mar 2010
D00t, okay, I'm shocked now O_o

Let's render the information that's been added in my head:

In Episode 21, they made (in Director's Cut Version) a reference about the resemblance between Rei and Yui. The fact that Rei just kinda 'spawned' outa nothing and, indeed, replaced Shinji in a way, told me that there was something unnatural about the girl. Now there are several Rei-bodies floating in this creepy laboratory where they create the Dummy-plugs.

So, Rei is in fact a sort re-incarnation of Yui, by the hands of Commander Ikari. And, with the special purpose that she would be the perfect pilot for an EVA. Like if Ikari tried to geneticaly fuse his former wife with Angel/Eva DNA to get high Sync ratios when Rei would pilot an Eva. Or wait, maybe the soul attached to the Rei-body is actually Yui's? (just assumptions of course)

In the case of the Rei-bodies being used for the dummy-plugs... There is just one 'Rei-Soul' isn't it? and that one is attached to the Rei that's piloting the Unit 00. But doesn't a body-vessel need a soul to 'think'? So how come that a Rei-body-vessel without soul CAN pilot an Eva, as demontrated in Episode 18? Are the thoughts, normally produced by one's soul, created by a bio computer that controls an empty body-vessel?

And what I still don't get... Rei does seem to have lost 'some' memories. Could it be that Rei doesn't know ANYTHING anymore about herself? I thought about the fact that she recognised Ikari's glasses. That would explain that the soul, implemented in this new Rei-body-vessel, is actually Yui's. That would also prove why Rei felt emberassed by Shinji calling Rei 'motherly' in the beginning of the series.

Interesting Episode. It's mind boggling though O_o. Okay. I'll just continue watching, heheh.
Jun 25, 2010 7:22 PM

May 2008
Scrumptious. (*:
I will not mind re-watching this series over and over.
Jun 27, 2010 2:53 PM

Aug 2009
Wait..... What? I think I need to rewatch this.
Jul 26, 2010 8:25 AM

May 2008
It was too confusing again~ Seeing all those Rei floating in that thing was creepy~ I still don't really know where is this going~
Aug 7, 2010 2:15 PM
Jan 2010
I've stopped even trying to understand what the hell is going on.
Aug 7, 2010 10:46 PM

May 2010
Divine_Judgement said:

How was this confusing? It showed that Rei is not a normal human, she is a clone of Shinji's mother and her soul can be re-implanted every time she dies.
Aug 25, 2010 5:13 PM

Aug 2009
These guys are all mad. They're like the mad scientists of the future. They try to obtain something that they shouldn't obtain by using science. I feel sorry for them. Misato was right. Anyone who's related to Evangelion will experience a tragedy or misfortune.

As for Rei being a clone. I knew that ever since I saw her. Most of the person I see in an Anime without any emotions like her are usually clones. A special clone that is since she's the only one who had a soul while others didn't. Plus, I didn't expect those clones to be the main source of the dummy plug. So that's how Eva-01 killed that Angel with no mercy, because the ones controlling it were clones with no souls.

What really bugged me was that dead sea scroll those Seele guys were talking about. They knew how many Angels were needed for their final plan to work. I'm wondering what is it.
Oct 14, 2010 12:19 PM
Jul 2010
GunDumb90 said:
Divine_Judgement said:

How was this confusing? It showed that Rei is not a normal human, she is a clone of Shinji's mother and her soul can be re-implanted every time she dies.

Yeah, that's simple. But there's still something I don't get. Doesn't she remember anything that happened before she "died"? Or she just doesn't remember that exact moment?

Who the hell is Seele? The guy's starting to annoy me. Also, Commander Ikari didn't only know the Second Impact would happen before it did but he (and the comitee) know how many Angels there are. That's bugging me. I'm starting to think that the children, having as many issues as they do, are still the sanest people in this show.
Nov 19, 2010 3:43 PM

Jul 2010
Dusk252 said:
GunDumb90 said:
Divine_Judgement said:

Yeah, that's simple. But there's still something I don't get. Doesn't she remember anything that happened before she "died"? Or she just doesn't remember that exact moment?

Who the hell is Seele? The guy's starting to annoy me. Also, Commander Ikari didn't only know the Second Impact would happen before it did but he (and the comitee) know how many Angels there are. That's bugging me. I'm starting to think that the children, having as many issues as they do, are still the sanest people in this show.

Guess it's cause Rei doesn't have a collective memory where all her experiences pool. That's about all I can answer =/

Since Akagi destroyed all the Rei's, does that mean that there's only one Rei remaining now? Also disturbing how SEELE knows exactly how many Angels there's gonna be, and are actually preparing for a third impact. These assholes better get taken out.

3 more to go...
Dec 19, 2010 12:22 PM
Sep 2010
So, Rei is actually a clone, created by Gendo Ikari, of Yui. That would explain why Rei has an attraction towards Gendo... Assuming the 2nd and 3rd Reis to be clones, the first Rei (choked by Naoko Akagi) has to be the "real" Rei. But why did Gendo decide to clone Rei with Yui's genetic material? Or was Rei just a clone from the beginning?

Nonetheless, I don't understand how Rei has a soul. Ritsuko said something along the lines of "You can't clone a soul, a clone is just a copy. But, you need a soul to function." This doesn't make sense unless souls are transferable, and they've been using Yui's soul each time. (But, how did they obtain Yui's soul..?)

Ok.. So. SEELE wants to have an autopilot system so that the many Evas they are creating can be programmed and controlled to their liking. And to make this system work, dummy plugs are necessary to trick the Evas into thinking real humans are piloting them. (Right?) So, thats why Gendo chose Rei (clones of Yui), though that wasn't necessary, which he kept a secret.

Evas are clones of the Adam. But Shinji's Eva moved on his own accord a few episodes back. So that means Evas have souls. Whose souls do they have? I think it has to do with the fact that each Evas synch with only a certain pilot. Shinji's Eva has part of his mother's soul and maybe the same way with the others??

I also don't understand why Ritsuko was sent to SEELE. And, why she was naked?

This is getting very confusing, indeed..
Feb 14, 2011 7:18 PM

Aug 2010
This plot is just too DEEP.
Feb 23, 2011 11:25 PM

Sep 2009
The only part I didn't understand was Ritsuko being naked in front of SEELE.
Rei was supposed to be there but Bastard Father threw Ritsuko to the proverbial wolves instead.

Penguins have souls.
May 8, 2011 10:26 PM

Oct 2008
What. The. Fuck?
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Jun 2, 2011 5:39 PM

Aug 2010
Its near just wait a little longer
Jun 15, 2011 11:01 AM

Aug 2010
So rei a clone of shinjis mom. Well that explains why shes a motherly figure to him.
Aug 9, 2011 5:35 PM

Dec 2010
I really hate this anime. Yeah, in the same time I love it, but my love is compound with hatred. How can they do this to such an important character? I really kind of expected Rei to be clone, but the whole story is even more twisted than I imagined it could be. Not just that, they released another clone of Rei. This is just unforgivable. Even if Rei was just a clone she developed a soul during her relationship with other pilots. And now we see a soulless Rei. Way too twisted.
Aug 27, 2011 3:02 PM
Aug 2010
The director's cut is really different to the on-air version. So much more awesome. I was shocked at what happened in it. I think all the director's cuts have been me appreciate this series even more.
Nov 24, 2011 11:57 PM

Mar 2010
I had a feeling Rei was a clone. I'm not sure why, though. Just the ''clone'' kind of person, I guess. But, at the same time, I've become pretty confused. What was the point of Rei in the first place? Was she just really good at being a doll? Or a pilot? Or what? And what's happening with Asuka? Is she fired, or something? Slowly falling downhill for me. Looking forward to the next!
Mar 11, 2012 9:48 AM

Jan 2012
linnaes said:
Dusk252 said:
GunDumb90 said:
Divine_Judgement said:

Guess it's cause Rei doesn't have a collective memory where all her experiences pool. That's about all I can answer =/

Since Akagi destroyed all the Rei's, does that mean that there's only one Rei remaining now? Also disturbing how SEELE knows exactly how many Angels there's gonna be, and are actually preparing for a third impact. These assholes better get taken out.

3 more to go...

What strikes me is that what Rei does know...Rei III knows that she is the third incarnation. It would explain Rei's lack of value for herself. There is one memory that remains in her head, that she can be easily replaced. No matter what version she is, that his her dominant thought process. Also, Rei III tried to break Gendo's glasses, Gendo needed Rei II for something, but all of those memories are wiped clean. We'll see how the Rei III/Gendo relationship progresses...
Mar 17, 2012 2:39 PM
Mar 2012
Does anybody know the title of the classical music played during the battle (when Shinji go out with 01)?
ryochanMar 18, 2012 1:00 PM
May 27, 2012 12:05 PM
Oct 2011
It is named "Thanatos", original score (!)
Jun 6, 2012 4:43 AM

Mar 2008
been watching the director's cut from episode 21 and will watch the rest only in director's cut, seems to be a lot better..

anyway, I dunno how to feel about it.. still don't really understand (did they explain it?) how they're able to 'transfer' the soul to a new clone of Rei, guess I'll just keep watching..
Aug 18, 2012 10:35 AM

Feb 2009
I liked Misato saying at the end that all who are connected to Eva experience tragedy. It's too true.
Aug 28, 2012 10:20 PM
Apr 2012
My mind is so fucked right now. Constant reveals in the last several episodes and yet more and more questions arise, where do I begin? I don't even know, man. I don't even know.
Dec 10, 2012 10:22 AM

May 2012
Damn what's up with these last few episodes they're dramatic like hell! The battle was quite epic but damn was it sad, Rei really died but we do got a confirmation that she's a clone, and damn there where many clones. But now they're all destroyed, does that mean if Rei dies she won't have a new clone or is there still chance for her later on?

But damn Asuka not being able anymore to operate the Eve, she must be really have a problem with herself...

Good story though but damn what Riska said against Shinji about his mother... Much death these episodes!
Jan 24, 2013 12:06 AM

Aug 2010
I'm still confused what exactly is Adam. I understand the Rei thing but how can EVA be part human? Isn't Eva part of an angel or adam? Or is adam the first angel that caused the first/second impact?
Feb 25, 2013 10:58 PM

Jan 2013
Hmmmmmm, i'll keep going with it.
Don't want to over think anything
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Voltlighter - Nov 29, 2007

202 by sailorneptunelvr »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

286 by ToTheGyz »»
Yesterday, 4:58 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Voltlighter - Dec 9, 2007

173 by kermitpoke »»
Yesterday, 9:46 AM

» Should i watch this ( 1 2 )

Lonely_kun - Apr 18

71 by SodaPopFrequency »»
Yesterday, 12:18 AM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Voltlighter - Dec 17, 2007

342 by ToTheGyz »»
Apr 23, 6:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.