Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 27, 2009 3:14 PM

May 2008
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
my second favorite character is officialy dead, umm, yaay?

the unique thing about this manga is that you already know that a character is doomed once you see him building up hope.. you see, its a lesson to be learned, that once you have no more fear and once you have hope you're byebye ^^
Jun 7, 2009 8:48 PM

Jul 2008
That was quite a fight though. Oh well, five kiddies left in the bunch.
Jun 7, 2009 11:34 PM

May 2008
indeed ^^
though wouldnt it have been cooler if sougi actually was able to beat kiriyama, or just if he was able to use his new learnt ability to escape with her and meat with the rest of the gang? :'(
Jun 30, 2009 8:19 PM
Apr 2009
Goddamit! Mimura, now Sugimura. Anytime they build up hope they die. I don't see anyone who can take Kiriyama, maybe Kawada, but that's it.
Aug 15, 2009 1:34 PM

Apr 2007
Dammmmnnnnnnnnittttt that motherfucking son of a bitch!
my second favourite character as well :'(
Kawada will probably kill him and then betray shuu

Jun 3, 2011 4:41 AM

Feb 2010
god for a moment i thought sugi would win , that fight was so long.

i liked that couple :<

at least it had "sense" since he took the bulletvest.
Dec 24, 2011 7:00 PM

Sep 2011
damn it, i was so hoping that sugi would win,

i dont think ive wnated to see a character die painfullly as i do right now with kiryama, he isnt freaking human, i hope his detah is both violent, ironic, and brutal to him both physically and mentally, i want him to feel both emotional and physical pain of large magnitudes THATS HOW MUCH I HATE THIS GUY

well 5/42, i want 2 of them dead,

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Dec 26, 2011 10:41 AM

May 2008
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
damn it, i was so hoping that sugi would win,

i dont think ive wnated to see a character die painfullly as i do right now with kiryama, he isnt freaking human, i hope his detah is both violent, ironic, and brutal to him both physically and mentally, i want him to feel both emotional and physical pain of large magnitudes THATS HOW MUCH I HATE THIS GUY

HAHA! that's a lot of hate xD but yeah i felt the same at that moment too

Who's the second character you want dead?
Dec 27, 2011 2:47 AM

Aug 2011
Mystic_Spirit said:
DJIzzyIzzyHitler said:
Who's the second character you want dead?
The other character that's "playing the game", of course. Who else?

Good chapter. Short and sweet. 4/5.
Also, WATTA FIGHT.
Jun 9, 2012 12:14 AM

May 2009
First Mimura, then Sugimura. Will Shuuya go next?
"The weak get washed away by the tides of fate...The strong drink it up."-Godot
Dec 18, 2012 2:32 PM

Sep 2012
Well it was nice knowing Sugi and Kayo.
Apr 13, 2013 11:26 AM
Jun 2010
Very nice death, very nice indeed. I really like how this chapter was done.

The first person was very interesting. Sort of reminds me of C.O.D. when a playable character dies as part of the plot. Seeing things from there point of view makes it way more intense, and the sudden use of first person here was sudden and hasn't ever been done before, which made it more surprising and interesting to see.

I also like how there bodies ended up positioned, especially with the smiles. One thing I love about this manga is the sense of morbidness and total defeat that you don't usually see. Most of the time, the hero dies, but manages to complete his final task and therefore dies in peace. Here. Nope. You failed, Sugimura. You FAILED. JUST like Takako.

One thing I really would've liked to see is Takako. Shuuya sees his friends when he's near death, and Mimura sees Yutaka, so I really would've liked if Sugi had seen/hallucinated Takako's spirit standing near/next to Kiriyama. Staring down at him, either disappointed, smiling sadly, smiling happily, expressionless; just standing there, taunting him. >:)

Salt in the wounds. I love that shit. ^-^
Dec 9, 2013 6:24 AM

Oct 2013
god dam kevlar vest
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Feb 18, 2015 9:41 AM

Aug 2010
To be honest I am glad Kiriyama didn't die here. After surviving the explosion I think it would be stupid for him to die before the end. Also ever since Mimura died I couldn't care less about the good guys. The villains in this series are much more interesting. Other than Kawada ofcourse. I still don't know what he's planning.
Nov 21, 2015 1:31 AM
May 2012
Mystic_Spirit said:
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
my second favorite character is officialy dead, umm, yaay?

the unique thing about this manga is that you already know that a character is doomed once you see him building up hope.. you see, its a lesson to be learned, that once you have no more fear and once you have hope you're byebye ^^

I know what you are saying, but Kiriyama is just fucking bullshit.
Nov 24, 2015 9:29 AM

Nov 2012
Fuck Kiriyama..

Man I just hate this stupid ass anime/manga cliche where character seems to kill/defeat evildoer. DOES NOT CONFIRM THE KILL , goes on a long speech, gets distracted in the mean time, and gives enemy all the time in the universe to come back and kill them or at least get back into the fight when they should have been dead.
Jun 4, 2016 4:57 PM

May 2012
This piece of shit is way too overpowered lmao
Nov 9, 2017 12:09 PM

Feb 2014
I don't know how to feel... it's a mixing of anger and sadness...

This overpowered Kiriyama it's really pissing me off and he should have died before with that damn explosion.
May 1, 2018 6:39 AM

Mar 2015
Fucking hell. Plot armor on top of kevlars.

Apr 25, 2019 8:35 AM
Apr 2019
Ok but how is anyone gonna beat Kiriyama if even Sugi, the one with the most experience in martial arts, couldn't take him down? I don't know man, I just don't see Shuu or anyone else killing him, he's just too OP. Kawada is good-ish at fighting too, but nowhere near Kiriyama and will we ever get a Souma-Kiriyama-Showdown? I'd actually be interested in those two meeting
Apr 25, 2019 8:40 AM
Apr 2019
I also kinda forgot they were supposed to be 9th grades lmao what kind of 9th grader is THAT OP? I-
Jan 23, 2020 11:19 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Meh, Kiriyama is too silly of a character. ruins the immersion when he can learn after just minutes what it takes others years to do.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Feb 16, 2021 12:35 PM

Nov 2019
Of course it had to go this way.. But for once I really thought at some point that maybe, maybe Kiriyama could be beaten. I was wrong.
Apr 23, 2021 2:52 PM

Nov 2016
Sugi was also my favorite character. There was just so much I could relate to, even the more pathetic aspects down to a hilariously accurate degree. There was a time I brought an action figure to kinder garten and another kid broke it lol. He did more than well considering that Kiri isn't human.

RIP ma boy

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 4, 2021 2:19 PM
Feb 2014
Nahhhhh. Screw this manga. Super power and now this man took like no damage from all that other than a shot in the arm.... Nahhhhhh. I'm not mad I'm furious. The heck!
Dokia
May 16, 2021 6:09 PM

Jan 2020
wow. That was one well done death scene regardless of how much we liked him

Jul 18, 2021 4:43 AM
Apr 2021
Touya_Rima said:
I don't know how to feel... it's a mixing of anger and sadness...

This overpowered Kiriyama it's really pissing me off and he should have died before with that damn explosion.

wow a person with brain here. you are absolutely true and at this fight i can't help but get pissed of how can a boy with top noth shoulin skills get's beaten by a fckn Brain dead piece of garbage who learns fighting through book and even surpasses some of the pro's.
Sep 6, 2022 11:12 AM

Jun 2020
This is a circus and Kiriyama is the protagonist
Jun 29, 2023 2:31 PM

Apr 2021
To quote the part on the back of each volume in the series: "Royale hits all the manga bases (martial arts, creepy old men, panty shots) without being Sailor Moon silly". Can we say this part was thrown off the window during the Hiroki Sugimura vs Kazuo Kiriyama battle? I legitimately believe that the mangaka could have done a heavily physical battle lasting several chapters justice, without resorting to DBZ-esque elements.

That said, the raw willpower to protect Kayoko, and elements such as "seizing the moment" and everything relating to adrenaline that can push someone to "superhuman" feats (even when severely injured) are legitimate, realistic. I think those parts were done well. The death of Hiroki and Kayoko was handled masterfully and felt quite emotional in spite of how iffy the whole arc has been. Good night, Sugimura, Kotohiki.
"Death is not the end. Being forgotten is."

More topics from this board

Poll: » Battle Royale Chapter 69 Discussion

JXEcute - Apr 6, 2012

9 by psygol »»
Mar 27, 10:48 AM

Poll: » Battle Royale Chapter 63 Discussion

InKensify - Feb 12, 2011

21 by psygol »»
Mar 21, 11:09 AM

Poll: » Battle Royale Chapter 119 Discussion ( 1 2 )

psygol - Feb 16, 2009

53 by ZugarCupK »»
Feb 16, 11:36 AM

Poll: » Battle Royale Chapter 27 Discussion

magelet - May 6, 2009

14 by BurntFlower »»
Jul 31, 2023 7:45 PM

Poll: » Battle Royale Chapter 37 Discussion

pacuuuuu3 - Jul 17, 2009

13 by Mirinkaiser »»
May 30, 2023 1:49 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.