Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Mar 13, 2010 4:49 PM

Oct 2009
air sucks, the main character is basically a pediphile who hangs out with 5 year old girls all day, and the plot is fucking confusing and it just boring fuck this show
Mar 29, 2010 1:43 PM

Sep 2009
Air didn't strike me as being great probably because (for me at least) it had the unfortunate combination of being the KyoAni's earliest and roughest adaptation of a Key work as well as being the last of the three Key adaptations I watched. The execution of the story was not as well done as Kanon and CLANNAD. Nevertheless, I do think Air's OP is amazing and its story is probably the most creative of the three.
The order I watched them was Kanon -> CLANNAD -> Air, by the way.
Mar 29, 2010 9:41 PM

Oct 2009
Like every Key anime it starts out boring and very slice of life at first but when they get to the climax, it just pulls you in and spits you out and when you're covered in that drool that this anime just spread on you, it gives your heart a complete emotional seizure.

hahah bottomline is, for me, Air was very depressing and very sad but because of this sadness, you find hope.

Maybe you're not one of those anime watchers who take anime as a bridge to their lives, an art form that speaks of your emotions that's dribbiing in your heart, makes you let it go. Some people get really affected easily by seeing people cry or get angry or find happiness, and that what made them love this series. The emotions.
Mar 30, 2010 9:41 AM

Oct 2009
hazelinventado said:
Like every Key anime it starts out boring and very slice of life at first but when they get to the climax, it just pulls you in and spits you out and when you're covered in that drool that this anime just spread on you, it gives your heart a complete emotional seizure.

hahah bottomline is, for me, Air was very depressing and very sad but because of this sadness, you find hope.

Maybe you're not one of those anime watchers who take anime as a bridge to their lives, an art form that speaks of your emotions that's dribbiing in your heart, makes you let it go. Some people get really affected easily by seeing people cry or get angry or find happiness, and that what made them love this series. The emotions.

i think your thinking too much into anime, its just cartoons for jap kids
Mar 30, 2010 11:25 AM

Dec 2007
hypersonic124 said:
hazelinventado said:

No, you just have a far simple-minded view of anime. The anime that is aired "for kids" in Japan does so in mornings on Weekends (like One Piece, Dragonball Kai, etc) or in primetime slots during the week (like Detective Conan, Doraemon, Shugo Chara, Precure, Bleach, Naruto, etc). The majority of anime made is aired on Japanese TV past midnight, and these are not targeted at kids in the slightest.
Mar 30, 2010 1:07 PM

Jun 2008
hypersonic124 said:

And you claim to have seen Elfen Lied and Black Lagoon. Tell me, how old are you?
Mar 30, 2010 1:12 PM

Dec 2009
Air sucked. I think. I never manged to get through it. It was sooo boring. And stupid. And dull. And slow.

But thats my opinion.

Mar 30, 2010 6:44 PM

Dec 2007
I can't say I'm surprised Penguin. I hated Bleach and Pokemon, yet you gave those perfect 10s.

This certainly is not an anime for you.
Mar 30, 2010 7:40 PM

Jun 2008
According to your list, Penguinko, you've only seen one episode. I hardly find that enough to judge a 13 episode series on (15 if you include the Air in Summer Special).
Mar 31, 2010 2:36 PM

Dec 2009
Meddigo said:
I can't say I'm surprised Penguin. I hated Bleach and Pokemon, yet you gave those perfect 10s.

This certainly is not an anime for you.

I'm not against shoujo and tragedy/love anime. I reckon they're awesome. But air was really too slow for me. And I didnt really like the charcters or the plot.

Redfoxoffire said:
According to your list, Penguinko, you've only seen one episode. I hardly find that enough to judge a 13 episode series on (15 if you include the Air in Summer Special).

Actually I've watched 10 episodes but didnt update it on here. So, unless everything drastically changed in the last 3 episodes, I still think it wasn't as great as people think it is. If it did change, then excuse me, I'll go finish it right now. :)

Sorry if I offended anyone..but once more 'tis my opinion XD
pillockMar 31, 2010 2:39 PM

Mar 31, 2010 2:55 PM

Dec 2007
Again, you are entitled to your opinion. You like Bleach, which is mindless action and Pokemon which is mindless action with toys.

Air TV is more of an artsy series. It thrives on subtlety, and it's not going to blow you away with any mindless action. So I certainly understand why you have your opinion.

Perhaps later in life when you're looking for something subtle and heart wrenching you can come to appreciate Air a little more.

One thing though. Air is not a shoujo. Not by a long shot. It was actually adapted from a visual novel that had H scenes, so it's primarily aimed at men, though of course plenty of women seem to like Air as well.
Mar 31, 2010 3:20 PM

Jun 2008
Penguinko said:
Actually I've watched 10 episodes but didnt update it on here. So, unless everything drastically changed in the last 3 episodes, I still think it wasn't as great as people think it is. If it did change, then excuse me, I'll go finish it right now. :)

Sorry if I offended anyone..but once more 'tis my opinion XD

Well, I did think the last 3 episodes were the best, but if you haven't liked it at all for the first 10 episodes I doubt that will change with the last 3.

And no offense taken. There will always be someone who doesn't like something.

Meddigo said:
Again, you are entitled to your opinion. You like Bleach, which is mindless action and Pokemon which is mindless action with toys.

Air TV is more of an artsy series. It thrives on subtlety, and it's not going to blow you away with any mindless action. So I certainly understand why you have your opinion.

Perhaps later in life when you're looking for something subtle and heart wrenching you can come to appreciate Air a little more.

One thing though. Air is not a shoujo. Not by a long shot. It was actually adapted from a visual novel that had H scenes, so it's primarily aimed at men, though of course plenty of women seem to like Air as well.

While I agree with everything you say, I actually like both Air and Bleach (and Pokemon, though to a lesser extent). Although I do like Air more. I would never raise my score of Bleach, though Air is probably my 9 that is closest to a 10 on my list.
Apr 1, 2010 12:17 PM

Dec 2009
Meddigo said:

Whoops, my mistake. And perhaps. People differ.
:O Bleach - mindless action?! Interesting...you are also entitled to your own opinion.
XD

Redfoxoffire said:

Well, I did think the last 3 episodes were the best, but if you haven't liked it at all for the first 10 episodes I doubt that will change with the last 3.

And no offense taken. There will always be someone who doesn't like something.

While I agree with everything you say, I actually like both Air and Bleach (and Pokemon, though to a lesser extent). Although I do like Air more. I would never raise my score of Bleach, though Air is probably my 9 that is closest to a 10 on my list.

If its good enough for you, the I think thats great. You like what you like, right?
But I take back what I said. Air does not wholly suck. For some people. I should've expanded on the whole suckyness thingy.

Apr 8, 2010 5:25 PM

Jul 2009
Air is good. It tells a very interesting story, manages to fit a LOT into just over 10 (12?) episodes, and has some of the most heart-wrenching moments that a human mind could handle.

However, I feel Air wasn't as good as it could have been due to it being only 12 episodes. Some may commend this as it fit so much in (Although the last arc was a little annoying since we practically re-cap everything with little differences). This probably led to less character development and probably led to some difficulty with content.

Anyway, I like Air mainly for the summer arc. I could watch a 24 episode series of those 3 travelling, seriously.
Apr 8, 2010 5:58 PM

Apr 2009
Psychodrake said:

Anyway, I like Air mainly for the summer arc. I could watch a 24 episode series of those 3 travelling, seriously.

^this and the OP music/vid.
Apr 8, 2010 6:03 PM

Apr 2009
Air is one of those Ugly yet Beautiful Animes.
Jul 15, 2010 3:11 PM
Jul 2010
My relationship with this anime is bitter sweet. First I'm going to tell you why people love air and it's strong points.

It's permise is great, and I think It's a bit original. A moving doll? A never-ending search for a winged girl? Dreams? A distant oriental past somehow connected to the present ledgends? Most of this is relatively ground-breaking, considering the tragedy genre of this anime. Also, suicides and chocking people are also a big plus, when it comes to hit you emotionally.

And let's not forget those beautiful backgrounds and landscapes.

Air appeared before kanon 2006 and Clannad and it features some of the best moe scenes.

Op music and video are great also.

Now for it's negative points:

poorly developed story, the permise and concept allowed for a more intense approach when it comes to the story. The minute Misagi was suffering from back pain, I immediately thought:
"Oh no! Her wings are just going to burst out of ther body!!!
I thought the same when she said her wings hurt and it kept going like that throughout the last episodes. Is it now? Now it's about time... of course such thing never hapens and I felt a bit disappointed. That and the "goal" she keeps saying. I thought she wanted to free that winged creature from those sad dreams, now you just want to walk to your "mother"??? The anime leaves you in a sort of WTF?? situation and that's really annoying.

Psychodrake said:
Air is good. It tells a very interesting story, manages to fit a LOT into just over 10 (12?) episodes, and has some of the most heart-wrenching moments that a human mind could handle.

However, I feel Air wasn't as good as it could have been due to it being only 12 episodes. Some may commend this as it fit so much in (Although the last arc was a little annoying since we practically re-cap everything with little differences). This probably led to less character development and probably led to some difficulty with content.

My thoughts exactly. But I also think that the main characters that made up the first episodes just disappeared. That was something I thought it was poorly made, because those main characters were funny and enriched the anime. So when it comes to the ending, You only see four characters. the others die midway through the series. Since the story occurs in a peaceful village, It kinda gave me the impression the story was getting a bit dead, when it comes to variety. Sure, it's the climax and stuff and it's not that bad, but allowing the characters to participate more midway through the episodes could have made it a lot more consistant. They had a lot of great ideas, but instead of pacing them and selecting, they just threw everythig in there and screwed it up.

So, I actually get when people say they love Air. It's actually very moving and genius... but shows several flaws and that's why there are haters too... Both have their reasons, but my position is neutral.
Jul 19, 2010 12:56 PM

Oct 2009
Idk man, without air I wouldn't be able to breath :/
Think of the consequences.

Penko said:

Whoops, my mistake. And perhaps. People differ.
:O Bleach - mindless action?! Interesting...you are also entitled to your own opinion.
XD

Does Bleach even have a plot anymore?
lucjanJul 19, 2010 12:59 PM

Jul 19, 2010 1:51 PM

Dec 2009
Lucjan said:

God, I forgot about this thread.

And man, Bleach was different(ish) when I posted that.

It makes me sad to think of current-day Bleach :(

Jul 19, 2010 2:18 PM

Oct 2009
Penko said:
Lucjan said:

God, I forgot about this thread.

And man, Bleach was different(ish) when I posted that.

It makes me sad to think of current-day Bleach :(

Umm, Bleach was on chapter 398 at the time you posted. I checked, and it was when Isshin first appeared. Almost nothing has changed since then (other than Aizen going ssj3)

Jul 19, 2010 2:23 PM

Dec 2009
You checked...?
I was actually talking about the anime but, I suppose it felt different.

Jul 19, 2010 3:05 PM

Oct 2009
Oh, well, I was speaking about the manga haha ^^

Feb 4, 2011 9:12 PM

Apr 2009
If u don't understand Air you will hate it..:p
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 18, 2011 5:28 PM
Jul 2018
people are different and have different opinions.

i think you can't understand why people like it so much purely because you hate it. try looking for the reasons a person would like this anime instead of being biased and you might understand what people are thinking.
Aug 9, 2011 9:02 PM

Aug 2009
Isaristh said:
Please elaborate. >_>

Because I personally thought it was the worst anime I ever saw.

I thought it started out good and then went downhill. Yukito seemed to disappear for nothing. Minagi Tohno,Michiru,Kano,Hijiri and the others just seemed to be there to stretch the anime out.
Aug 9, 2011 9:14 PM

Aug 2011
its a great shw, yah its the worst of all the key shows but still
Aug 10, 2011 1:16 AM

Mar 2009
Overall i just couldn't get into the show.
I did enjoy the past arc, but the rest of the story just seemed to be lacking something.
Aug 12, 2011 1:55 AM

Nov 2007
Was the first Key show for me. Wholly new and defenseless against the incoming tragedies that always wait for these characters. Got totally immersed. And I absolutely love the summer feel of the show. Summer has that strange, mysterious feeling to it, yea know? "It all happened that summer..." kind of thing. Ha.

I think it depends on what the order of viewing. I didn't enjoy Kanon nearly as much, because I thought it was too dragged out and the payoff wasn't that great. I was expecting something more out of those girls, really, especially after Air. Haha, I sound evil....;;
Aug 12, 2011 1:59 AM

Sep 2010
Its alright I gave it a 6 mostly because it was short and the characters and story were not as good as those from Clannad, Angel Beats, or Kanon, but I did like the opening and ending. The last episode makes me cry everytime.... T_T
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Jun 12, 2012 9:18 PM

Jun 2012
i liked the movie but hated the series, too many characters for a short season like this.
Jun 13, 2012 3:22 AM
Photojournalist

Apr 2007
OH LAWD! Really now? I am dumb founded at why anybody would NOT like AIR and almost every anime KEY has ever played a part in making. The ONLY anime that sucked by them was One: Kagayaku Kisetsu e. Their first anime I believe. OVA to be exact. All of the other KEY anime, I gave a 10/10 to with no bias.
Jul 27, 2012 5:25 PM

Jul 2012
I hated Air.

Misuzu was more stupid then innocent. The story was too fast-paced and never gave you enough time or any real reason to care about the characters. I guess you were supposed to care about Misuzu BECAUSE she was so "innocent," but I found her way too irritating and childish to actually take seriously.

The story didn't interest me, the characters didn't interest, I'll never understand why everyone bashes Clannad's eyes when Air's are so much worse (yes, I get it was made in 2005, but you get my point.) and I just couldn't find hardly any redeemable qualities about it. I guess I can understand why some people would like it, but I just couldn't at all.

And no, I'm not heartless. I cried just as hard as everyone else did in Clannad:AS and Angel Beats!. At least I had reasons to care about the characters and what happen to them in those anime.
ihateeveryoneJul 27, 2012 5:29 PM
Aug 17, 2012 5:37 PM
Jul 2012
I hate when shows have characters that just dissapear for no reason... Kano didn't really show up after her arc and the other girl was even less relevent, then the main character dissapears during the last few episodes -_-
Sep 21, 2012 1:01 PM

Aug 2012
I loved Air because of Misuzu (Japanese Voice) I just loved her cute personality, and just felt sorry for her by the end of the anime. Seeing the last few scenes of her as a kid, and seeing the relationship with her and her aunt grow made it beautifully sad, along with the amazing music score in the anime, though i do think this is weaker (storywise) of the 3 KEY anime's, it was the 1st one i watched.
Sep 28, 2012 9:32 PM
Jul 2012
Not great. Characters suck.
Oct 20, 2012 6:21 PM
Oct 2012
ihateeveryone said:
I hated Air.

Misuzu was more stupid then innocent. The story was too fast-paced and never gave you enough time or any real reason to care about the characters. I guess you were supposed to care about Misuzu BECAUSE she was so "innocent," but I found her way too irritating and childish to actually take seriously.

The story didn't interest me, the characters didn't interest, I'll never understand why everyone bashes Clannad's eyes when Air's are so much worse (yes, I get it was made in 2005, but you get my point.) and I just couldn't find hardly any redeemable qualities about it. I guess I can understand why some people would like it, but I just couldn't at all.

And no, I'm not heartless. I cried just as hard as everyone else did in Clannad:AS and Angel Beats!. At least I had reasons to care about the characters and what happen to them in those anime.

Understanding the characters is the most fascinating part of Air and I'm sure you would have loved it otherwise. Air is by far the most mature anime by Key and considering Clannad and Kanon had twice as many episodes it can only make things harder.

I totally agree with your criticism on the eyes of the models. They don't look any good. But such failure draws the viewer to the landscapes, which actually turns to be a good thing, playing important role with the atmosphere.

Now concerning Misuzu:
Oct 25, 2012 7:19 AM

Nov 2009
As Key works go, this is by FAR the worst of them.

I couldnt relate to any of the characters at all and the story just got stupid at the half way mark.

The drama felt very forced and this anime seems a perfect example that if you put pretty visuals in, you will get fans regardless of how bad everything else is.
Oct 27, 2012 9:09 PM

Sep 2008
I thought this show was utter garbage. No offense to Key, I love their other works.
Nov 19, 2012 6:07 AM

Sep 2011
5layer said:
I thought this show was utter garbage. No offense to Key, I love their other works.

I believe this one is really badly adapted. I still like Air more than Kanon.

Dec 30, 2012 12:33 PM

Jun 2012
I think it's because of the end.
Jan 7, 2013 6:38 AM

May 2012
Riptos said:
As Key works go, this is by FAR the worst of them.

I couldnt relate to any of the characters at all and the story just got stupid at the half way mark.

The drama felt very forced and this anime seems a perfect example that if you put pretty visuals in, you will get fans regardless of how bad everything else is.

Worst ? Little buster anime . Baammm.

Watched air at 2006, love it, bought all the original merchandise (Series, Ova, movie )

Watched clannad after story, loved it, shed some tears. The ending pissed me off tho.

Watched angel beats, it was average, the only interesting part is Otonashi past.

Watched kanon, liked it. It was not bad .

Watched little buster , threw my mouse to the wall.
FALLOUT4Jan 7, 2013 6:42 AM
Sword in hand, a warrior clutches stone to breast. In sword etched he his fading memories In stone, his tempered skill By sword attested, by stone revealed. Their tale can now be told
Jan 8, 2013 5:50 AM

Sep 2011
Tommk said:

LOL.

Anyway, I never thought Air is the worst Key project. I never compared them based on how they adapted the anime so I only thought Air TV anime was just only badly adapted. Same goes for LB anime.

Jan 9, 2013 12:04 AM
Photojournalist

Apr 2007
I loved Air TV. I have the anime on DVD. I want the movie on DVD but since it has not been re-licensed yet, the price is a bit high.
Jan 12, 2013 7:45 PM

Feb 2012

There are a number of reasons I simply adored Air (without having read the Visual Novel) and for the sake of organisation, I'll list them under subheadings. So...

Empathy

As a film student I've read through a lot of scriptwriting books and the one thing you must establish in your main character is empathy. Regardless of whether they are a 'good' character or not, there must be something that makes the viewer empathise with this character more than any other. The best characters tend to create the strongest empathetic connection with the viewer, and often a good way to test how connected a viewer is to a character is to have some tragedy befall the character or have them die. If the viewer cries or has some strong emotional reaction to these circumstances, you know you've created a great character.

Misuzu I've found is one of the most empathetic characters I have ever seen. This is because misfortune is one of the things that establish empathy for a character; we feel sorry for the protagonist. Another quality to establish empathy is if the character is likable, ie. the fact that misuzu is optimistic, innocent and just all-around loveable. This is where I think Key did such an excellent job; juxtaposing Misuzu's upbeat, optimistic character against a life of utter misfortune creates a very strong empathetic connection. The culmination of how aweful her circumstances are occurs when:

I found this utterly heartbreaking, especially after all the character development building her up as being totally optimistic in the face of any misfortune. On top of all of this is the ending, which is done so well. Unlike other series that use tragedy for tragedy's sake, Air's ending is bittersweet:

I'm tearing up while writing this, wow...

Atmosphere

The simple atmosphere created by the Summer, the ocean and the sky subconciously created this beautiful association between the story and Summer. I suppose that's what Key was trying to do; and it works. Kanon 2006 did the same thing but with winter, but I suppose Air's atmosphere really hit home with me because it very much reminds me of the Australian summer (which it is right now).

I find Key's works to be some of the most atmospheric anime productions and more specifically, they create atmospheres of melancholy which is hands down my favourite feeling to inspire in films, anime or my own work. Focusing specifically on melancholy in the summer, I felt Air's atmosphere was beautifully esablished.

Art

I absolutely loved the - what I can only describe as - purity to Air's art; it suited the feel of the anime down to the ground. I also stated this in my review, but Air was in that beautiful grace period of anime when digital colouring was common, but it wasn't required that a studio go over the top with post production effects (which in my opinion really takes away from the original art work). The art is clean and crisp and the clouds and the ocean (two very important visual themes in the show) are also stunningly rendered.

All of this just forms into one package that creates this beautiful, sad, joyful, melancholic, breathtaking experience. That's my take on it anyway.

Oh and as a huge bonus, it's probably one of about three or four anime that I've ever seen that has zero fan service.

Boom. I'm done.
Kamio-chanJan 12, 2013 7:51 PM
Jan 12, 2013 7:53 PM

Nov 2009
The plot... one cannot meet another, flipping the coin and seeing their past selves being in the same predicament.

Also how Air portrays the idea of an angel in the story and it's music

this amv portrays everything i just said for you:

Jan 14, 2013 6:19 AM

May 2012
Sa-chan_ said:
Tommk said:

LOL.

Anyway, I never thought Air is the worst Key project. I never compared them based on how they adapted the anime so I only thought Air TV anime was just only badly adapted. Same goes for LB anime.

Please tell me in what way its badly adapted.
Sword in hand, a warrior clutches stone to breast. In sword etched he his fading memories In stone, his tempered skill By sword attested, by stone revealed. Their tale can now be told
Jan 19, 2013 9:37 PM

Sep 2011
Tommk said:
Sa-chan_ said:
Tommk said:

LOL.

Please tell me in what way its badly adapted.

Which one? Air or LB?

But either way, I couldn't explain because I never found them suck regardless of the adaptation.

As for LB, I played it's VN and I could say the adaptation could be way way better. Though it's a fact that in the VN, the starting events are awful and humor is bullshit and corny, but until the arcs that is.
TennoujiJan 19, 2013 9:45 PM

Mar 12, 2014 7:12 AM

Apr 2009
Everyone has different opinions. and my opinion is Little Busters! is the worst of them all.

Although Angel Beats! is fine. Air, Kanon, Clannad, Clannad After Story are Masterpiece.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 19, 2014 3:57 PM

May 2013
Air was a strange anime. That's really all I can say about it. Not bad, not good, just strange. I honestly have no strong feelings about it, one way or the other, which is why I haven't even given it a rating, and I don't think I ever will. I will just say that I adored the atmosphere of the show. One of its biggest merits.
My anime blog
Latest Post: The Zero Requiem (Analysis of the Ending of Code Geass)
Mar 28, 2014 1:50 PM

Apr 2012
intense drama grounded on unclear story-telling, as a result the whole thing falls apart (ie. it might be a great visual novel but this anime is terrible).
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Air Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Animatronix - Mar 27, 2008

197 by EmmyMoomin »»
Jan 11, 8:18 PM

Poll: » Air Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

hznu - Aug 20, 2008

62 by EmmyMoomin »»
Jan 11, 7:25 PM

Poll: » Air Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Piroko - Nov 12, 2007

100 by KingYoshi »»
Oct 12, 2023 12:37 AM

Poll: » Air Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Genix - Oct 16, 2008

58 by Xenocrisi »»
Oct 5, 2023 6:59 AM

Poll: » Air Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Yukia-Kontan - May 30, 2008

74 by Xenocrisi »»
Oct 4, 2023 12:30 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.