Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 3, 2009 10:04 AM

Aug 2007
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So Gohan's training regimen begins and Goku makes it halfway through snakeway.
lol. In the next episode he even gets there ;0 Way faster than I thought
Anyway besides, me still trying to get used to Luffy-san's voice a Kuririn? It's cool but weird.
May 3, 2009 4:47 PM

Mar 2009
Picollo destroying the moon in one blast was epic lol

and btw I Hate to admit but the dubbed version sounds way better. =_=

May 3, 2009 5:28 PM

Feb 2008
true, but i hope it gets better soon.

i find it kinda odd that they would destroy the moon so easily. the consequences of a missing moon are a little more than just lack of tidal waves. but this is the DB world so the moon isn't needed haha.
May 3, 2009 6:29 PM

Mar 2009
I don't agree on the dubbed version being better, most of the cast were voiced by Chris Sabat, whom in my opinion is a terrible voice actor.

These episodes make me think how enjoyable Piccolo's character is, love how he effortlessly blew up the moon. I liked how they made Gohan's tail cover his penis, one of my more favorite edits in anime. The pace was also pretty well done, covering roughly 2 or more chapters. Considering the pace the series is going at, the Saiyajins should arrive on episode 7 or maybe 8 and hell, maybe we'll even be at Namek by episode 20.
May 3, 2009 9:04 PM

Jul 2008
they changed a few things around didn't they? anyways, i wonder what chichi's power level would be, she is one of the scariest characters in the series (at least to those who know her, lol)
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
May 4, 2009 7:50 AM
Mar 2008
safetydance subs out yet?
May 4, 2009 7:57 AM

Nov 2008
Wow.Picollo destroyed the moon!
May 4, 2009 12:37 PM

Feb 2009
I think if it was that you have not seen the series before, people would find it rather pleasent, however as presumably we have seen it before, from my propective I wish it was like this first time round, however that would not have happened. On the actuall episode I found it rather standard but with a twist which was the pacing, god they are going fast they may reach the target of 100 episodes if they continue like this.
May 4, 2009 1:37 PM

May 2007
The pacing is going great. And Goku reaches Kamio next epsiode? Nice. Also, Piccolo blowing up the moon is hilarious imo. Bye bye moon, we dont really need you. XD

May 4, 2009 5:21 PM

Dec 2007
"I see, so it's the full moon."
BAM moon explodes
epic.
May 4, 2009 10:26 PM
Apr 2009
At least DBK is moving at a nice pace, I disliked the snake road filler i.e. When Goku stops at the serpents house midway and almost gets eaten, as well him falling into Hell and trying to get out.

May 5, 2009 12:36 AM

Mar 2009
Piccolo blowing up the moon = win
May 5, 2009 4:10 AM

May 2008
lol i didnt expect this, still im interested

Awesome Sig by Lailide
May 5, 2009 1:45 PM
Sep 2008
I seriously dislike the pace at which this is going. DBZ was one of the few series in which the fillers actually contributed something to the overal story. The many ordeals of both Goku and Gohan during their training made sense by adding to the feeling of having to wait one whole year before Vegeta and Nappa arive... The troubles Goku faces on snakeway also make snakeway seem that much longer.

Oh well, let's hope they don't rush Vegeta in and out like that.

By the way, how far are they going into the original story with this series?
Namek's explosion was at episode 91 'with' the fillers. Are they going to cram all saga's into 100 episodes?

May 5, 2009 2:21 PM

Mar 2009
Maximus said:
I seriously dislike the pace at which this is going. DBZ was one of the few series in which the fillers actually contributed something to the overal story. The many ordeals of both Goku and Gohan during their training made sense by adding to the feeling of having to wait one whole year before Vegeta and Nappa arive... The troubles Goku faces on snakeway also make snakeway seem that much longer.

Oh well, let's hope they don't rush Vegeta in and out like that.

By the way, how far are they going into the original story with this series?
Namek's explosion was at episode 91 'with' the fillers. Are they going to cram all saga's into 100 episodes?

If you enjoy Z's pace over this I really don't know what to say to you, the whole point of Kai is to be as close to the manga as possible, it didn't feel like a year went by in the manga either, so it should feel exactly the same.

The "it's going to be a 100 episodes!" thing is a rumor from 2chan and shouldn't be taken with a grain of salt.
May 5, 2009 4:30 PM
Nov 2008
Wow, judging by the preview, they're really going through this fast. O.o Diggin' the speed of this though. The original just dragged and dragged and dragged.

And I'm probably not the only one who thinks Yajirobi's VA in this is just terrible. >.<

It'll take some getting used to, though I'm already okay with most of these VAs.
May 5, 2009 8:14 PM

Apr 2008
Aren't the VAs the same as in the original Japanese version of DBZ? If not, which ones changed?

Also, I really like the pace that this is going at, personally. I've seen all the filler in DBZ, and once was enough. Not that it was horrible, it's just that, as something I'm re-watching, I want it to get to the point, and I think that, other than following the manga, that's what this series is for. It's for those that want to relive all the high points of the original DBZ. If you want the filler, then the original series will always be there.
May 6, 2009 5:24 AM
Mar 2008
sub where?
May 6, 2009 9:31 AM

Apr 2008
on internets.... o_o
May 6, 2009 6:34 PM

Jan 2009
"Take that moon! Perfect orbit my ass!"
May 6, 2009 8:23 PM

Aug 2008
Whoa... I'm really surprised of DBK pace... So the poor innocent moon was already destroyed... A fact that really disturbs me to no end 'cause it's vital for life just like someone said that the moon was made by a legendary ninja (refrain to Naruto ch.4XX) XD... Ne way the episode was amazing... it was so cool to remember all this moments... Especially Piccolo's evilness and Gohan's transformation into the Oozaru :P Oh by the way I loved the Transformation and de-transformation!! Didn't it looked better than in the Original version? Well looks like the pace will keep on increasing... which is good... Goooo GOku and Catch Bubbles kekeke... Go Gohan and eat the crazy Dinosaur XD

Signs,
Green
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 7, 2009 2:44 PM

Apr 2008
Furukawa Piccolo >>>>>> Sabat Piccolo (but I'm biased??)

MUAHAHAH, I always loved Piccolo. Him fighting Oozaru Gohan is one of my fav eps.

Hmm, I do agree that the pacing is very very fast. I felt that the switching of scenes and voices from the original DBZ eps were a little awkward. Especially the voices. It's like they're trying to get used to the changes.

But if we're doing 100 episodes then this is pretty important. Each saga may need around 20-30 eps right? I wanna get to the Saiyajin fight baby! and I'd liek to hear new Tienshinhan
May 7, 2009 7:28 PM

Jun 2008
Poor moon-tan.

Never even stood a chance.
(づ°‿°.)づ
May 7, 2009 9:34 PM

Jan 2009
No SafetyDance subs? Oh well.

Cool ep and yeah, the voices need some getting used to. Love the pace the show is progressing at. Goku's trip down snake way seemed to last an eternity in the original anime.

May 8, 2009 2:55 AM

Sep 2008
At this rate they will get the entire series under 100 episodes. Xp

北斗百裂拳
May 8, 2009 8:06 PM

Apr 2008
wow ?! i didnt think that he would blast the moon into pieces xD

May 8, 2009 10:12 PM

Sep 2008
WTF is with popo voice!!!!!! its like listening to someone scratching their nails on a blackboard.. :(

ok.. not that bad but in how horrible it is..
May 9, 2009 1:32 AM

Dec 2008
Love this series, the pacing is amazing. Good thing they got rid of the whore in snakeway filler as well as the frankenstein looking hell monkeys. Love how Piccolo destroyed the moon in one shoot. xD Kai is awesome, good job making his anime fun like tha manga.
May 10, 2009 6:44 AM

Jun 2008
Yeah loving it so far. Can't wait till ep 6 :O
May 12, 2009 10:56 AM
Sep 2008
fightyourdemons said:

If you enjoy Z's pace over this I really don't know what to say to you, the whole point of Kai is to be as close to the manga as possible, it didn't feel like a year went by in the manga either, so it should feel exactly the same.

The "it's going to be a 100 episodes!" thing is a rumor from 2chan and shouldn't be taken with a grain of salt.

Good thing I don't really do manga. <insert flame>

With the addition of proper voice actors and background music, Anime has much more to offer in my opinion. And while some shows put in filler episodes that may have just a tiny little connection with the main storyline, in DBZ it all made sense.

Sure, I didn't enjoy the whole princess Snake arc that much either. But it did allow for the feeling of a year's passing to cultivate and show how not only Goku, but Gohan, Picollo and all of the others are training for the arrival of this ominous duo. Most people who disliked DBZ complain about it just hopping from one fight between impossibly strong characters to the other, without any actual character building. For me those filler eps, who fitted perfectly with the main story, supplied that character building. So for me, they weren't fillers at all.

The only true arc that did not really belong was that horrible Garlic Junior Saga... <shivers>
May 12, 2009 3:49 PM

Sep 2008
It was cool seeing Gohan transform into an ape.

Jul 30, 2010 10:50 PM

Dec 2009
still liking the pacing of this

Oct 26, 2010 9:31 PM
Jun 2008
Moon!! being blasted LOL

I can't believe Piccolo luck out the tail like he is plucking out grass 0.0
Jul 25, 2011 9:55 PM

Mar 2011
This is definetly not my favorite part of DBZ (DBK) Cant wait to see Vegeta and Nappa on earth.
Aug 8, 2011 11:29 PM

Jul 2009
He destroyed the moon.
he blew it up.

that's just horrible. How is the earth not covered in complete darkness at night now?
Aug 25, 2011 8:00 AM

Oct 2009
WTF he blew up the moon XD
Whys there still light at night then -_-'
Nov 10, 2012 8:39 PM

Mar 2011
Didn't Roshi destroy the moon in Dragonball? Did it regenerate somehow?

Mar 11, 2014 8:43 AM

Oct 2012
Maximus said:
fightyourdemons said:

Good thing I don't really do manga. <insert flame>

With the addition of proper voice actors and background music, Anime has much more to offer in my opinion. And while some shows put in filler episodes that may have just a tiny little connection with the main storyline, in DBZ it all made sense.

Sure, I didn't enjoy the whole princess Snake arc that much either. But it did allow for the feeling of a year's passing to cultivate and show how not only Goku, but Gohan, Picollo and all of the others are training for the arrival of this ominous duo. Most people who disliked DBZ complain about it just hopping from one fight between impossibly strong characters to the other, without any actual character building. For me those filler eps, who fitted perfectly with the main story, supplied that character building. So for me, they weren't fillers at all.

The only true arc that did not really belong was that horrible Garlic Junior Saga... <shivers>

Totally agree with that. Except the manga-part :p
Jan 3, 2015 9:36 PM

Apr 2014
Was blowing the moon up the best case scenario he could think of??
---------My Profile------------
Oct 6, 2019 7:19 PM

May 2012
Yea that transformation was pretty epic, forgot that Piccolo blew up the moon at that point. Pretty nice development though, let's see what's next!
Aug 20, 2020 3:29 PM

Dec 2007
piccolo: so the moon causes it huh?
*blow the moon*
piccolo: the tail also part of it
*pull the tail off*
piccolo: though there's no moon no, oh well
xD

i think the gohan transforming part rushed too much, i didn't completely felt the impact of the transforming, it could also be perfect cliffhanger without ruining the all episode pace.
Apr 21, 2022 12:04 PM

Oct 2020
I remember all of this when i watched dbz a few years ago, and it's nice to see how faster the pacing is here.
Also the dub so far is amazing !
Mar 14, 2023 1:28 PM

Jun 2016
User-Name said:
*blow the moon*
*pull the tail off*
xD

i think the gohan transforming part rushed too much, i didn't completely felt the impact of the transforming, it could also be perfect cliffhanger without ruining the all episode pace.
While certainly paced fast, I think the fact that Piccolo decided to blow up the moon and tear off Gohan's tail within what felt like a minute was badass.  There was no hesitation to anything, Piccolo is a decisive and merciless thinker, and that showcased it perfectly.  It was almost funny how quick he responded to the situation.

> Gohan turned into a monkey because of the moon.

> The moon gives Saiyans power & I need to stop this great ape, so blow up the moon.

> Speaking of, now the tails just a weakness, so rips off the tail.

I think Piccolo could be a damn good evil leader after all.
Mar 16, 2023 1:40 AM

Dec 2007
gfsdfgsdgsdfgs said:
User-Name said:
*blow the moon*
*pull the tail off*
xD

While certainly paced fast, I think the fact that Piccolo decided to blow up the moon and tear off Gohan's tail within what felt like a minute was badass.  There was no hesitation to anything, Piccolo is a decisive and merciless thinker, and that showcased it perfectly.  It was almost funny how quick he responded to the situation.

> Gohan turned into a monkey because of the moon.

> The moon gives Saiyans power & I need to stop this great ape, so blow up the moon.

> Speaking of, now the tails just a weakness, so rips off the tail.

I think Piccolo could be a damn good evil leader after all.
i will agree with you in manga prospective.
in the manga you saw goku already becoming monkey in the start. so the whole "gohan becoming monkey" badass moments aren't that bold. so the highlight is badass piccolo.

but when i watch dbz as a child, i didn't watched dragon ball first. and they putted a whole episode only about gohan going rampage. and it was terrifying and exciting moments, that even rewatching that episode makes you shivering.

but since dbk is following the manga "image", there's no real impact in the anime form.

there's couple of things i believe dbk ruined that the original anime made better, anime wise, where manga presented different approach.
read the comments here, and my final comment: 
https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=330495
 (suggesting reading the chapter just so you will understand)
Apr 7, 1:01 AM
Dec 2022
Gohan kidnapped then abandoned
Zayum Gohan
BRO DESTROYED THE MOON LMAO

Piccolo giving him DRIP

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dragon Ball Kai Episode 4 Discussion

Ishmael - Apr 26, 2009

27 by wallus81 »»
Apr 7, 12:40 AM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Kai Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

FireReaverX - Apr 19, 2009

54 by wallus81 »»
Apr 7, 12:20 AM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Kai Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Danish - Apr 4, 2009

143 by wallus81 »»
Apr 6, 6:44 PM

» Is it worth watching along with DBZ?

RobertBobert - Jul 28, 2023

32 by Alexioos95 »»
Jan 30, 11:18 AM

Poll: » Dragon Ball Kai Episode 97 Discussion ( 1 2 )

kisami - Mar 27, 2011

81 by gutsy99 »»
Nov 27, 2023 11:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.