How would you rate this anime?
May 1, 2009 10:10 AM

Feb 2008
Spotlight Anime: Touch

MAL Series Information Page: Touch

MAL Score - 8,19 (by 401 users)
Ranked - #190
Popularity - #1624

For the next week I would like to have a discussion about the series that focuses on the key elements that we here on MAL use to critically rate an anime: Animation, Sound, Characters, Story, and Enjoyment.

I would like everyone to approach this thread as if you were going to write a review and structure your initial post like this:

Animation - insert rating
Sound - insert rating
Characters - insert rating
Story - insert rating
Enjoyment - insert rating

Animation - discuss any pros and cons of the animation styling used in the series, try to include some specifics.

Sound - describe any of the things you liked or didn't care for in regards to the music and sound effects used in the series

etc...

If you are having trouble writing up a review or coming up with specific pro's and cons, please don't worry. Just do the best you can with it and if you can only write two or three sentences about any of the 5 elements then that's OK. Not everyone here is currently at a level which will allow them to articulate their thoughts and opinions.

After your initial post is made you can feel free to civilly discuss issues of contention. I am sure there will be many opinions expressed here that some of us will disagree upon and criticize and it is for that reason that this entire club exists. So I hope everyone has fun and I am really looking forward to watching this discussion unfold.

RESULTS OF THE YOU DECIDE POLL
04-03-14
- Yes: 18
- No: 2
- I haven't watched this anime: 70
~ Abstained: 0
This Anime ran out of time before securing the win - 90%

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
LindleMar 31, 2018 8:21 PM
You do not beg the sun for mercy.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
May 2, 2009 12:54 AM

Dec 2007
I'll post my comments in a couple of hours, but just came here to beg: please seriously spoil tag what you think that could be a spoil for me. *-* Please be kind to me. *-*
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
May 2, 2009 11:40 AM

Aug 2008
Animation - 4
Touch has that signature, old school character design. Big hair, pretty natural to exaggerated bodies, and big, blank, stupid eyes. With that said though, I will say that Touch has the most expressionless faces I've ever seen in any show. The face is completely the same whether or not the character is crying, stunned, happy, or angry. From scene to scene, body proportions change from heads being proportionally larger to smaller to natural. The animation is terrible. For eyes that aren't the type that normally catch lots of mistakes or shortcuts regarding the execution of animation, mistakes are very obvious. One easily catches recycled scenes all over the place, be it gymnastics, baseball, or just running to school. Even for this time period, I'm not so sure that this was acceptable.

Sound - 6
I could be wrong, but the music used during the show was overall, anachronistically ludicrous. One of the main songs "My Girl," sounds like it belongs in a 50's sockhop. But what's worse is that the song is used for almost every occasion, be it training, mourning, victory, or romantic sequences. The opening and endings were all suitable for the show, but ultimately forgettable. Foley effects are pretty on par with what was available during the time, so I didn't really see anything wrong with that. Overall, I believe the cast did a really job of creating characters (especially the supporting actors who were given very little to work with). Voice actors for the main characters were especially charming and added engaging emotion where the animation failed.

Characters - 8
For characters that were integral to the story, the writing did a good job of making memorable characters. The leads, Tatsuya and Minami, aren't very original characters in their type, but because of very strong characterization and fine development, they come off as some of the most natural high schoolers I've probably seen in anime. Though they are prodigies, and there is a bit of a disconnect there, there is no doubt ever that they have go through much of the same thoughts as their classmates. Tatsuya is by far the most interesting character because all of his personality and actions all come from the same place, and except for one occasion, he never felt like he was going out of character, which is very important and amazing considering the show covers the most significant years in human development. Rivals such as Kazuya, Akio, and Yuka are also either well developed or characterized and efficiently play their roles as foils of either Tatsuya or Minami. But of those rivals, Yoshida Takeshi is by far the most well-executed character, with development rivaling that of Tatsuya. He goes from a pitiable tertiary character to a loathsome rival in such a short, yet natural amount of time, that his presence on screen becomes magnetic.

Although there are great and good characters in this show, there were also very bad and useless characters to go along. Tatsuya's parents were absolutely useless in the show. They are used only as comic relief, so when the most serious turning point happens, they are rendered as useless as puppets without an owner. Moreover, there is really no apparent reason for them to have treated their sons with such differing affection. Their actions were always baffling. Another character that deserves mention is Tatsuya "seemingly" best friend, Harada. After having finished the show, one is left mistified at his purpose besides framing what Tatsuya is going through. Aside from that he is a delinquent who isn't really a delinquent, and that's all that the viewer knows. Another character strangely one note character is Eijirou Kashiwaba. He's basically only introduced to catalyze Tatsuya's talent for baseball, but once he is given a story of his own (that of a distorted mirror of Tatsuya) it fails. I don't really know what to say about it, but it just fails. Much time was wasted on giving this man a reason for his actions, but ultimately he could have been just as effective had he been simpler.

Story - 7
The story is very transparent: it is a high school romance between Minami and Tatsuya set up around baseball. For about the first half of the show, the sports aspect is wholly inconsequential to the main plot. Though the plot development is very obvious, there are a few times where, as a viewer, you don't want to be right in anticipating the outcome, which speaks very highly of how engaging most of the story and characters are. There is a wonderful simplicty and innocence in the tone of the show that is carefree and relaxing (in much of the nostalgic way that adults who have good memories of high school tend to look back) adding to the overall enjoyment of Touch. The building up of emotions is where this story shines.

But with the good comes the bad, and when Touch is bad, it can be rather droll. The writers don't have a flair for drama at all, so when it comes to important scenes where a character needs to express his or her feelings, the writing just doesn't know what to do with itself, so for the romantic element of the show, it just about fails in delivering that climax. Also, regarding the main turning point in the series, the aftermath is terribly executed. Rather than show how the characters cope with the situation, we get a time skip of about two weeks, and everyone's practically acting normal. Finally, as I have mentioned before, towards the end, the show tries very hard to force drama into Tatsuya as a character while juggling the difficulties of making sense of Kashiwaba as a character, and wrapping up the story as a whole, managing to over-complicate the plot, and knock the wind out of the main climax of the story, Tatsuya and Minami's relationship.

Enjoyment - 9
Overall, I really enjoyed this show from episode one. Though many events in the plot and characters left me dumbfounded, with everything that went on, I think the show was very successful. For those that hate the look of this time period as much as I do, I must say that it is a testament to the quality and the tone of the show that I didn't give the art that much of a thought. Watching Tatsuya come into his own despite himself was a very enthralling process. Much of his humor alone is the reason why I thoroughly enjoyed Touch. This show really is for anyone.

Overall - 7
This is a very, very high seven. There is still much more that I could discuss outside of the review, one of which is the use of doorways. I also touched on the use of foils. Touch maybe the best at thoughtfully using them without really being too obvious or biased over one.

May 2, 2009 1:00 PM

Dec 2007
So here I am, thanks so far. =p

First thing I have to confess before I start attempting to review something I did not finish watching, but that I still want to discuss, is that I have a childish adoration for Sports anime. The second thing is that I am still not sure of how to score since I'm only by the middle of it.

I am loving Touch. It is one of the most enjoyable series I've come across so far and has that wonderful effect of leaving me wanting to watch more episodes. My opinion of it is not highly developed yet so I should put this in points, like I should but I usually don't.

Animation

It's unnaceptable, except for the baseball games animation sequences. I've watched a lot of old-school anime and it was possible to do better than that. So many wonderful moments filled with seriousness that lost all their thrill due to sloppy design and not cared colouring. From the third episode I started to pray at night asking "please let they make a remake of this. Same story, same music, same everything, just with modern art" However, kudos for the games that, unlike everything else, come out really smooth and interesting.

Sound
It fits, therefore it's probably good. The usage of classical works during the first part, mainly, was fantastic. The series gained a lot of intensity from that, so much that it still holds it till now. Btw, I swear by everything that I already knew that "My Girl" song from somewhere. I don't remember where. T^T It has been haunting me, because it's just so terrible. And because it stays stuck in my mind and I can't stop singing it. However it is adequate. The Japanese super-hits of the 80s were all like that for some reason.

The Voice Acting is probably one of the best things of this show. When the art failed delivering all the characteristics and personality of the characters and their surroundings, the VAing did it. It's thanks to his voice actor that Tatsuya earned his place on my forever growing list of characters I love.

Characters
Consistent, strong and charming. This is a story that lives of its characters and they are very well done. Concerning the main characters, they are very clear to us, viewers, in a way or another and that makes them bold comparing to others of the same kind. There are so many feelings running around free in Touch that it's enjoyable to see how the characters will react to them and, therefore, assist to their development. It's like we see a raw character baking and turning out complex as the series passes. They are both realistic on their actions and thoughts: genius or not teens are all the same species. Ok: the genius thing is a bit forced at first, especially in Minami's case, but we can get used to it.

I am finding the side characters just as developed as they need to be to deliver their function concerning the main characters. Friends and rivals, whatever they are, they seem to be shaped into a form that will perform a specific set of actions and then leave. I'm feeling this with the Nitta folks, they are just there to annoy me and soon enough, either they leave or stay in the physical space of the story, they will just be put out into an even minor role or maybe send continuous comic relief... But this is just an hypothesis (?), this series can still surprise me.

Also, I hate Minami.

Story
Is this a shoujo anime disguised as shonen? Or a shonen disguised as shoujo? Beacause it has everything to please both factions. Your average high school love story (<3 <3) mixed with some sweaty guys playing stuff with a ball (<3 <3). While straightforward, the story is extremelly well done. I think both themes can almost serve as path for the character development. After all what matters is how Tatsuya and Minami grow out of thei past influences and mature feelings for each other (or not, maybe) Each plot twist leaves me holding my heart. I must say that the first plot twist was one of the most well conceived tragedies in anime. So, while the story is simple, it's neatly put. Very well done, and I wish it keeps like this.

One bad thing I have to point out though... Unlike most (aka all the others I've ever watched) Sports anime, this does not explain discretely the rules and tricks of the game. They just don't explain it at all. And while I am well versed in gymnastics and I know enough of boxing to follow a match and enjoy it... I have not the faintest idea of how do you play baseball. What a confusing game. Yet again, they don't resource to fancy tricks with energy and rays and figures of animals to defeat their oponents and everyone in Japan knows what baseball is so explanations could be redundant.

Enjoyment
So far so good.

I don't know what to vote, really. For the art, that is trying to ruin my viewing experience, I'd say No. But for the enjoyment I say Yes. By half of it I feel that it can get much better, but that they can completely destroy it as well. Untill I watch it I don't think I can vote fairly.

I think it fully deserves it status of classic. I understand how a whole generation could love this. However, I am not a part of that generation. And that takes a great part of the fun.
May 8, 2009 9:00 AM
May 2008
Touch rightfully stands out as one of the best made series that earns the title of classic among anime. From the work of Adachi Mitsuru, he brings out an example of how a simple concept in a sports/romance series can provide great results in execution and writing.

Story - 10
As mentioned earlier, the story of Touch is based on a simple concept that is easy to follow. It is mainly a coming of age story where characters participate in the area of sports (mainly baseball) along with dealing the events that happen in their lives. One thing that Touch truly achieve is how Adachi brought great writing in its story. Because the writing is consider that great, none of the 101 episodes would feel like a bad episode to the viewer. To add with the enjoyment of the story, there are also a few unexpected plot twists that may certainly stun the audience in its results.

Characters - 10
It is also hard to believe seeing several characters well-developed in Touch, but ever since completing the series they were truly among that class. The story of Touch features three childhood friends growing up where an older brother (Tatsuya) wants to do nothing, an younger brother (Kazuya) who is a very talented pitcher in baseball, and the cute girl (Minami) who lives next door. Tatsuya brings out a good performance such as providing humor and never falling out of character. This was obviously necessary to the story, especially when it comes to dealing with the shadow of his talented younger brother Kazuya. Minami (who enjoys managing the Meisei baseball team) also deals with situations such as her school popularity, her participation in gymnastics, and deciding who to be with in a romantic relationship.

Some of the supporting characters also manage to bring quite a lot to the story of Touch. One supporting character that has done well in his performance is the baseball catcher Koutarou. Koutarou's performance weighs on how supportive he is with the Meisei baseball team along with having a strong friendship with Kazuya. Another supporting character that brings out a solid performance is Harada who tends to provide advice to Tatsuya in making decisions. There is also the antagonist Kashiwaba Eijiro who ends up being a challenge to the Meisei baseball team in order to achieve his own agenda.

Animation - 8
The one major setback viewers may have with Touch is the animation being dated, especially since this was a series made from the 80's. Being a witness of Adachi's works, his character designs are not all that great but they do seem to fit the image of being acceptable in a series such as this one. The background drawings visually were nice enough to look up at in Touch.

Sound - 8
The sound department is mainly good in its results but it also has its setbacks from times in Touch. The opening and ending songs feature an assortment of 80's music that are mainly good tunes to listen to. Some examples of good songs would include the gentle music of "Kimi ga Inakereba", the upbeating music of "Che! Che! Che!", and a great song called "Kimi wo Tobashita Gogo" (which this reviewer thought was an appropriate closure song for a long series like Touch). From the scenes of Touch, some bgms manage to fit while other bgms do feel out of place at times. The seiyus also brought great performances with their characters, especially when providing their emotions in certain scenes.

Enjoyment - 10
Despite the animation being dated at times, Touch is certainly a sports/romance series that provides great results in both story and characters. For those that are fans of sports/romance genres, Touch is one series that is worth checking out.

Overall - 10
This will no doubt be a 'Yes' vote from myself.
Dark-EvolutionMay 8, 2009 9:09 AM
May 8, 2009 4:07 PM

Oct 2007
This is most defenitely a yes vote from me. I have written a review on it, which i have copied and pasted below.

Before i start i must put my obligatory statement:
Touch is the highest rated TV anime ever in japan. :) And even when i looked at 2007's top 100 anime list, touch was number 5. soooo, this is defenitely a must-watch, and a classic.

Story
The story itself may not sound extremely original, but the way that it develops is excellent. The main focus of the series is the growth of the main character, Tatsuya. His brother, Kazuya, is the ace pitcher of the baseball team and everyone loves him. Both him and his brother like the same girl, Minami. Over the series, Tatsuya tries to make himself a better man for Minami, with a lot of influence from his brother Kazuya. The show has a lot of romance in it, as well as sports, but there is a good balance. Also, the dramatic parts of the story are done so well, but not overdramatized. The first 26 episodes focus on the relationship between the brothers and Minami, but after that it focuses on Tatsuya becoming part of the baseball team. It really feels like a slice of life anime when you're watching it. The series covers 3 years, but the pacing is perfect.

Animation
For a show that was made in 1985, the animation is really nice. It's simple, yes, and the character designs arent flashy. However, the animation itself is great. The movement of the characters while they are doing sports, or anything, is dead on. There aren't many "repeated" scenes over and over again, and if they are they're not too noticeable. The quality of animation is also consistent throughout. I personally also liked the simplistic character designs and feel of the show.

Sound
Nothing to out of ordinary here. You have your typical 80's pop songs for intro and ending songs. In the show there is a lot of classical music (like chopin) when Kazuya listens to his records or Minami does gymnastics. Aside from that the background music is fitting to the show, but does not really stand alone well. The voice actors are very good though, and extremely fitting to their roles. Tastuya and Minami's seiyuu's were great.

Character
The character development in this show is huge. Throughout the show you see the growth of the characters. Tatsuya undergoes the most growth since he is the main character, but Minami and other characters (even some of the minor characters) grow and change throughout the series. The only downside was the fact that you never really got to know all the members on the baseball team, which happens a lot with sports related shows. However, all the characters in this show are great.

Enjoyment
I enjoyed this series so much. There was not really any filler (besides a few recap episodes which would have been necessary for people following the show weekly) and each episode was interesting. The story never really seemed to drag, and even though there were times where you got frustrated at certain situations, they always turned out fine in the end. DON'T avoid this show because you dont like sports. the sports may be a crucial part to the story, but it defenitely does not have your typical "sports anime" feeling. Same with the romance. The romance in the show is really important, but it's not a "romance anime".

Overall
This show was really well done. At first, I was hooked by the romantic rivalry between the two brothers. However, as the story progressed i got hooked into seeing how Tatsuya would change by becoming part of the baseball team. The story itself is really good and I think it's defenitely worth watching. Don't be scared because it's an old series, it's defenitely a classic that should be watched by all! :)
Nov 2, 2009 11:23 PM

May 2007
Am I the only one who had problems with how the anime ended versus how the manga ended? Especially some of the more pivotal moments near the end...

These and some other differences make me feel inclined to vote a 'No' for this series in favor of a 'Yes' for the manga.
Nov 3, 2009 6:16 AM
Nov 3, 2009 5:42 PM

May 2007
noteDhero said:
You can vote "yes" for both, you know.

You mistake my point. I know I can, I just don't want to due to the reasons I've stated above. To me one is superior over the other. And this time around the vote in question is for the anime.

I can and have voted yes for the manga.
Nov 3, 2009 5:49 PM

Aug 2008
You choose the wording "in favor of" as though you can only choose one. Even if one is superior over the other, they shouldn't be graded against each other since they are different media.
Nov 3, 2009 6:31 PM

May 2007
I understand all that. Each medium has its strengths and weaknesses. But the essence of the story changes drastically for me with just these two points I have mentioned. One more so than the other.

Having seen both, I cannot in good conscience give the anime a 'Yes'.

Enough about quibbles over semantics. Anyone else feel the same way? Or care to agree or disagree with what I've said? Or barring that, perhaps more discussion on why the anime works for you, whether you've read the manga or not. I'd like to see more views on this, particularly from ones who've seen both medium.

Perhaps I'm giving more weight over this than I should. But our opinions are colored by what we've seen and what we haven't. To me, it's much the same as judging something as a poorly done because you've seen it done better.
Nov 3, 2009 7:00 PM

Aug 2008
I understand that, but I'm just saying that against other anime and as a stand-alone story, is the show worth induction?

I'm mostly pointing this out because I think a lot of members come in and vote a manga over the anime or vice versa because they feel like they should pick one over the other. For me, I either abstained or voted "no" because ultimately I don't think the whole package stands up on its own. It lacked resolution in the main plot, and relied too heavily on the "perfectness" of its leads.
Nov 3, 2009 9:07 PM

May 2007
Obviously, to me it isn't. I'm trying to see if others have the same opinion or if they can overlook this over the merits of the anime and have it stand on its own. If so, I'd like to hear more of those finer points, aside from those already stated in the previous reviews here.

Manga over anime does seem to be the general consensus and with several good reasons for any given title.

Another thing that sways my opinion is ultimately how endings are handled. I could very well enjoy the experience but how it ends tends to put a very big damper on things for me. And short of re-watching the whole thing, which I have neither the time nor inclination to do, I guess what I'm trying to say is remind me again why this is a great series? Because as it stands, right now, I feel that these flaws make it not worth the induction.

You mentioned voting "no" for some valid reasons there, do you mean for this title specifically or are you just trying to make a general point in how you go about voting?
Nov 4, 2009 1:51 PM

Aug 2008
This title specifically. But I suppose if you wanted to look at that as a general thing, it also works. As I have up in my review from I guess half a year ago, I talk about how Tatsuya and Minami's "perfectness" is a little forced a times, and because of they the end is dependent on the viewer thinking, "They're perfect for each other, so of course they'll be together! I don't need resolution."
Aug 11, 2011 7:01 AM

May 2010
I finished it yesterday. I honestly was oscillating back and forth between a 7 and an 8. After reading noteDhero's review, I settled down for a 7.

My reasons were quite similar to his. Art and design was never a strong point in the series, you watch Adachi's works for the story and characters.

Story wise, I honestly didn't think season one needed to last that long. Season three was more about schoolife and people and some "training" (mostly complaining about the demon coach). Season four was a little letdown, I expected more - especially from the build up in season two.

One thing I didn't understand though was this:

Why does Minami keep talking about "Take me to Koushien". Why is it so special? I mean she isn't playing, so how can she be happy in taking pride for something Tatsuya does?

My favorite character was Yuka and the demon coach. Tatsuya was a fun lead. Harada's only purpose seems to serve as exposition (nanuhodoll, nauhodoll!)

I liked the "My Girl" song, although as noteDhero mentioned, it was overused. Sometime I think it even destroyed some serious moments (remember episode 81? That was so awkward).

Even with all of these problems, I managed to sit through all 101 episodes. Admittedly, the first season was a little painful for me. Season two completely hooked me

ConfuciusAug 31, 2011 10:06 PM
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Aug 11, 2011 12:00 PM

Dec 2007
Because when people that are close to you achieve something important you usually receive a nice feeling from their victory. Also, you want people you like to achieve high objectives because you want them to be happy.

I suppose I'm not the only one (besides Minami) to act this way?
Aug 11, 2011 3:24 PM

Oct 2007
Why does Minami keep talking about "Take me to Koushien". Why is it so special? I mean she isn't playing, so how can she be happy in taking pride for something Tatsuya does?

If you don't understand that then you missed a huge portion of the show.

She's spent her whole life rooting for Kazuya in baseball, which is a huge deal in Japan. Going to Koshien is like the ultimate goal of every high school baseball team. And the fans want to be able to cheer for their favorite group in the Koshien stadium.

Haven't you ever have those moments where you want someone to win at something because you'll be proud? It's the same sort of feeling.

I don't think it's an uncommon thing to be proud for the people you support , so by saying "take me to koushien" she's pretty much telling them she wants them to be the best. She said it to Kazuya and then she passed those feelings to Tatsuya because deep down they both sort of associated going to Koshien with Kazuya.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.