Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Sep 24, 2018 6:02 PM
Mar 2015
Overall I liked this adaptation. It was pretty faithful to the game though kinda abridged in some ways with the story with some of the things they cut out. One thing I wish for this anime did was give it the dub (not saying the sub voices are bad the VAs did great, especially JaDIO Curtiss thank you Takahito).

I'd give it a 8/10. Not perfect but enjoyable.
Dec 16, 2019 12:26 AM

Jan 2013
So. Tales of the Abyss. I played the game first with a friend and then watched the anime.
The anime is a lot better than the game. It cut out the meaningless fluff from the "betweens", and managed to do some good characterization because of that. The game was poorly paced, with long dungeons that were completely skipped.

However.... I still can't rate the anime any higher than 6/10. The story is all over the place, with mostly uninteresting stuff happening (mumbo-jumbo science events). One thing I absolutely hate with a passion is the ending. If Luke stayed dead, I would rate this 7/10. By giving him the comeback scene, the sacrifice he made and fear of death he felt were totally trashed. It made the end fall flat, and even "cheapened" the final major decision the character made.

One thing I gotta say though, is that the animation is surprisingly good. After the stiff as hell game, it was refreshing to see the characters actually move like living beings... Well, mostly. There's no way they could've saved Mieu as a character.
May 2, 2020 5:50 PM
Jul 2018
Well, this was a good episode, for me. I was a bit disappointed that they started with Van's boss fight in his second form, it does demean the climactic final battle a bit, but each character, at least most of them, got to show their mystic arts and some cool moves. The ending scene was beautifully and faithfully adapted, remaining ambiguous enough with a tinge of bittersweet. I reckon that's Luke who miraculously came back. His mannerism, behavior, the way he carries his sword, not to mention the statement that he made about keeping a promise, is evident enough. Of course, there is always the low possibility that it is Asch with an attitude change, but that's very doubtful. If I had to guess, Luke, with the help of Lorelei I would imagine, fused with Asch deceased body, at least, most likely a dead body since Asch's hand was shown to be twitching, or maybe that was likely due to Luke's soul being transferred into Asch's, alongside his memories and soul. What's the final product? Luke is living in Asch's body. Luke and Ashe became one. That's my theory at least. The ending is so well crafted.

As for the Anime itself, it was decent, I guess. My biggest complaint about it is its shortcomings regarding character interactions and developing them. In the game, various relationships and bonds of characters are delved deeply into. As a result, they grow much closer to one another. For instance, Luke and Tear is one primary example. In the anime adaptation, it was too rushed, too incoherent, only showing a semblance of a bond at the end of the series, which only ends up being awkward since the show doesn't thoroughly examine the relationship in question. The action scenes are another part. Hard fought boss battles in the game looked like a children's squabbling in the Anime. It looked so anti-climactic, serving only to discredit the boss of the battle further. Imagine Luke vs. a random knight is one of the best fights in the show. That's both impressive and plain sad. I guess this is what happens when a series is too abridged.

What I found cool about the Anime is seeing the character's emotions coming to light in their faces. In the game, it was nearly impossible to get a close-up of the character's facial expressions without a random, rare cutscene, so it was nice to witness that unveiled. And the music was average, albeit repetitive at times. I truly liked the opening and the ending song, they were quite catchy.

All in all, I would give it a 6/10. I would have given it a 5 but I am an avid Tales of fan, so nostalgia won me over.

Aug 1, 2020 3:36 AM

Nov 2016
I'm so fucking confused as to what's gonna happen know that both Lukes merged is he gonna end up going out with Jade or fulfill his promise to Natalia.
CPU: i7 6700 | GPU: GTX 1070 | RAM: 16GB | HD: 1TB | Moderators are mean! | D. Gray Man Hallow is UNDERRATED!

Nov 12, 2020 12:56 PM

Jun 2012
All I can say is that this anime was all hype and no go, a waste of time, I've seen bad anime in all these years, but this one was the topping on the cake, to bad though, it could've been good, but the execution failed big time, from the story to the characters.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» I'm on ep 6, and I REALLY want to drop this now...

Kirukato05 - Jun 19, 2022

7 by Sir-C »»
Feb 26, 9:34 AM

» Differences between the anime and the game?

FactualTakes12 - Apr 18, 2023

3 by FactualTakes12 »»
Apr 21, 2023 11:30 AM

Poll: » Tales of the Abyss Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

angel999 - Nov 16, 2008

78 by AtroceWins »»
Jan 24, 2023 11:44 AM

Poll: » Tales of the Abyss Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

angel999 - Nov 8, 2008

62 by tokidoki921 »»
Sep 28, 2021 12:07 PM

Poll: » Tales of the Abyss Episode 25 Discussion

MaxCrazy7 - Mar 30, 2009

35 by Chikipichi »»
Aug 1, 2020 2:55 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.