Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Apr 14, 2009 9:34 PM

Jul 2008
the episode is awesome! hope they keep it up^^
Apr 14, 2009 10:27 PM
Nov 2007
Sorry folks, I saw it and think it was awful.

Everything went too fast. I knew what was going on but only because of inferences based on little evidence. Parts of the time I didn't want to actually infer some of the things they wanted me to because of how stupid they were. The jokes were stupid, the characters were stupid, and everything went so, so fast. I could hardly relax. It was like they were trying to break a record for fitting as many stupid story elements into an elapsed amount of time as possible. I stopped watching at 14:07, so I cannot comment if they succeeded or not. But I sure damn give them my regards.

Oh, and lol at the character development. Every character was an archtype of some form, but butchered horribly. The reasoning for whateverthemaincharacter's name is, for hating basketball was retarded. Then his reasoning became more retarded as he shifted to loving it. What the hell, this happened in eight seconds. Apparently he was a goddamned large scale wanted criminal that smashed 5,000 TV's because... he had not learned to love mech basketball? What the hell? Tell me I missed something in the last part. It's killing my nerves.

It was pretty though, everything was well done and there was a large array of colors. Maybe next time I want something as pretty and hectic I will stand in one of those "dollar blowing machines" (You know the ones, where the money is blown around in a glass case with a person inside trying to catch them) but filled with confetti.

No hard feelings to the fans... these are just my opinions
Apr 15, 2009 12:47 AM
Dec 2008
I can't understand why everyone is so hyped over this show. As for how everyone keeps comparing it to gurren lagann. Well I can understand that but this is like a sad watered down version for ten year olds. The main character Dan is like some horrible alternate reality Kamina.

Kamina is angry at the people enslaving the human race.
Dan is angry at retarded robots that play basketball.

Kamina recklessly fights battles he can't win.
Dan recklessly jumps off buildings to get to the moon(?!?!?!)

Kamina fights to free humanity.
Dan plays basketball because his sister broke her legs. (While playing with giant robots. Who would've guessed that would go badly?)

It just feels like they ripped the heart out of gurren lagann and made it's corpse play baskteball and advertise for nike.
Apr 15, 2009 3:02 AM

Nov 2008
Well ... I found it kinda funny this episode and I wasn't bored while watching it ... But I've to admit it ... It's like the come back of gurren lagann mixed with soul eater ^^
Apr 16, 2009 12:46 AM

Jul 2008
yo cant complain, pretty nice for a 1st epi. was funny when he laughed his ass off in the end.

Apr 17, 2009 1:10 AM

May 2008
Awesome.
Apr 18, 2009 5:32 AM
Jul 2018
Connerman said:
Then his reasoning became more retarded as he shifted to loving it. What the hell, this happened in eight seconds. Apparently he was a goddamned large scale wanted criminal that smashed 5,000 TV's because... he had not learned to love mech basketball? What the hell? Tell me I missed something in the last part.
It's 499 TV's. and you missed something in the last part. it could have changed your view. well anyways, i for one think this was pretty cool. sports and mecha? hell yeah.
Apr 18, 2009 8:07 PM

Sep 2008
hmmm

-big boobs
-some weird obsession with basketball
-big robots
-some random women who had an orgy from watching some child play a sport.......

ok I might follow this show..
Apr 21, 2009 6:36 AM

Jun 2008
After watching the episode. I still don't know if I should stick with it or not.
Also I hate CGI I can't stand it.!
Apr 24, 2009 10:09 AM

Oct 2007
Red_Zealot said:
Lol at Nike as a sponsor. I seriously don't know what to think of this though. I really enjoyed the animation and the concept of this crazy future, but I think a weak plot and cliche characters will be the downfall for me. I'll keep watching for now and enjoy the insanity of mecha basketball.
But I have my doubts about episode 2.
Apr 25, 2009 9:02 PM

Sep 2007
Hard to believe that was only 24 minutes, it seemed a lot longer.

Maybe this is because I'm not a sports fan, but I couldn't get into it at all, I actually had to force myself to finish it. I found the fanservice really off-putting too, generally I don't mind it, but this was just ridiculous. I only started watching because Iceman caught my interest, since he didn't appear much I'll probably watch the second episode, but if that isn't any better I'll no doubt end up dropping it.

On the other hand, I really liked the ending.
AurelieApr 25, 2009 9:05 PM
May 5, 2009 9:22 PM

May 2008
Looks like the opinions are pretty messed up here. Anyway, I enjoyed the show. Watch it without expecting anything, without comparing it to anything, without bashing it every single time a scene doesn't suit you and you'll enjoy it. Seriously.
May 13, 2009 11:34 PM
Mar 2008
So cliché, but what makes this anime sweet is fat Naruto.
May 20, 2009 4:20 AM

Jun 2008
Sorry but for me this episode was stupid as hell. Things going crazy fast and giant robots playing basketball is really stupid. The only good scene was the humorous sex talk. All the characters are just some crazy kids having fun, nothing interesting about them and that guy making robots playing basketball seem like a serious problem it's ridiculous. If they cook up some stupid episode that the fate of the world is depending on how good they play basketball i will completely get sick.

Also while watching it i had a feeling i was watching an American cartoon and not an anime. Hey if i wanted to watch cartoons i wouldn't be watching anime right now would i?
It's like going to a Japanese restaurant and they serve you burgers and coke. Really if i wanted that i would have sticked to the fast food place in the corner.
MonadMay 20, 2009 4:24 AM
Sep 16, 2010 12:27 AM

Aug 2010
I found the first episode to be somewhat interesting and very creative. One thing I didn't like was that he did so well at BFB to start off with. It leaves little room for growth in the next 25 episodes. If his dunk wasn't block, then I would have given up on the series then and there.
Feb 12, 2011 12:57 PM

Aug 2010
Basketball, mecha, awesome soundtrack, my sort of thing.

Dan JD, i like the atmosphere around him. You can predict what he's going to do next but it's still good to see how it turn out.
Oct 30, 2012 6:15 PM

Jul 2009
I like the character designs, the palette, and the soundtrack (especially at Miyuki's place XD).

However, the plot is weak as hell. Already. Really poorly thought out character motivation for the lead. Rushed and cliched past for Dan and Miyuki, with the prerequisite love triangle bait firmly in place.

I'll watch a few more episodes, but I don't get the feeling this is going to get anything more than "ooh, pretty" from me.
Jun 19, 2013 4:11 PM

Nov 2011
My God that OST.
Anyways, brilliant episode so far and I liked the concept. I haven't seen science fiction + basketball in a single package before. Well, there's Kuroko no Basket but sci fi themes there.

Also, dat fan service.
May 12, 2014 4:02 AM

Jan 2013
Interesting concept. Looking forward to see where this goes.

Stark700 said:
Also, dat fan service.

http://i.imgur.com/KK7l1vn.gif
Jul 5, 2014 7:11 PM

Dec 2008
At last a sports anime I actually WANT TO WATCH!!! THE ECCHI, THE INNUENDO< THE ACTION,,, THE LOOK AND FEEL!!! ITS BIZARRE YET REALISTIC AT TIMES!!!! NOICE!!!!!
Dec 9, 2016 12:21 PM

Feb 2015
Decided to give this a shot - being a big mecha fan and loving KnB. Well, a show that combines mech and basketball? Sure, I'm in. Fun, high energy start. I'm curious to see more. Also, I loved the ED.
phoenix810Dec 9, 2016 12:48 PM

Jul 8, 2021 7:43 AM

Jul 2015
Spanky you little bastard. Interesting and chaotic start so far with the mecha basketball, curious to see what the big tiddy childhood friend plans to do with Dan and their mutual love

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Basquash! Episode 13 Discussion

ShanaFlame - Jun 25, 2009

37 by mahoazuma »»
Jul 26, 2023 8:47 PM

Poll: » Basquash! Episode 11 Discussion

Quickfox - Jun 11, 2009

28 by mahoazuma »»
Jul 26, 2023 6:46 AM

Poll: » Basquash! Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 )

lueser - Oct 1, 2009

63 by Archean-Return »»
Jul 16, 2023 7:42 PM

Poll: » Basquash! Episode 10 Discussion

dbaranyi - Jun 5, 2009

39 by Archean-Return »»
May 29, 2023 4:28 AM

Poll: » Basquash! Episode 25 Discussion

ShanaFlame - Sep 25, 2009

24 by Unkrowned »»
Jul 10, 2021 9:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.