Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jan 27, 2014 5:09 PM

Oct 2012
Veronin said:
I consider myself a "fan of anime" as well as a critic, but no, never an otaku. That's like calling yourself a basement-dweller or a neckbeard or something. It's pejorative and self-depreciating.

Otaku are basically everything wrong with the anime industry, anyway. They are the reason why 99% of what airs are high school-themed ecchi or superpower shows. They are the reason why everything is the same-- because they don't want different.

That's how it should be, unfortunately long gone are the days where you could just be a fan of something. Now you are either part of the cancerous meme spewing subcultures that are created around a fandom or a cynical asshole who hates the very community they are apart of.

Jan 27, 2014 5:11 PM

Aug 2013
Not even close lol

The only anime merchandise I own is manga books, and that's technically not even anime merchandise.
Jan 27, 2014 5:12 PM

May 2012
Naw. I'm a really big fan with a few volumes here and there, but I wouldn't go as far as calling myself an otaku.

Jan 27, 2014 6:06 PM

Aug 2013
Not at all. I'm just a fan of anime who adores some stories that can hardly be done in other mediums. But i'm just as much of a fan of books, movies and tv series as i am when it comes to this japanese medium.

Actually, i believe people who categorize themselves into social tribes are mostly limiting themselves. Let's say, why must i be a rocker if i can enjoy all sorts of music?
Jan 27, 2014 6:11 PM

Aug 2013
-Zeaos said:
i like turtles

+1

I'd say no, but my cousin may be one. Though she's watching a lot more Asian dramas.
Jan 27, 2014 6:19 PM

Mar 2011
No, I just watch anime to pass the time.

The only merchandise I own is Mushishi on DVD.
TowardsTheStarsJan 27, 2014 6:51 PM
Jan 27, 2014 6:24 PM

Aug 2013
Hell no, I'm not an obsessed nerd.
Jan 27, 2014 6:50 PM

Feb 2012
"Otaku" in Japan means "room dweller". So you have to stay inside your mom's basement 24/7 to be qualified as Otaku. LOL
Jan 27, 2014 7:14 PM

Jan 2013
Anyone who knows the origin of that word wouldn't refer to themselves as such.
Salmon is delicious.
Jan 27, 2014 7:28 PM
Oct 2010
No, I am not obsessive about anything related to games, anime or the likes and I do not live in my mother's basement. I do have some Gundam models around here though.
Jan 27, 2014 7:34 PM

Jan 2012
Lol.
Omg.
Weeaboos
&
Otakus

but anyways
no. Im me and I happen to enjoy anime.
Yeah.

I actually don't even use the term Weeaboo or Otaku unless im making fun of someone or I'm describing how they think of themselves/how they act.
Its funny though
Jan 27, 2014 7:38 PM

Dec 2012
Nope, it's just one of many things I like.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jan 28, 2014 1:48 AM

Jul 2013
Yep. Also I made a thread like this when I was relatively new to MAL, good times....good times. Sadly, I have yet to buy an Azunyan nendoroid, hella kawaii af!!!!!
Korrvo said:
I like lolis.

I don't like them sexually.

It's hard to not like lolis, their cuteness pander to the same emotions that naturally makes us fathers.

But it's hard to get off to anything that doesn't have any adult women characteristics like large tits, ass, and thighs.

http://imgur.com/qgjKHGn

Jan 28, 2014 1:53 AM

Nov 2013
face it, everybody with an account on MAL is otaku
Jan 28, 2014 1:56 AM

Jan 2014
Veronin said:
I consider myself a "fan of anime" as well as a critic, but no, never an otaku. That's like calling yourself a basement-dweller or a neckbeard or something. It's pejorative and self-depreciating.

Otaku are basically everything wrong with the anime industry, anyway. They are the reason why 99% of what airs are high school-themed ecchi or superpower shows. They are the reason why everything is the same-- because they don't want different.

Quoted for truth.
Jan 28, 2014 1:56 AM
Grave of Flowers

Dec 2012
those who say no probably doesn't even know the history of the word

so, yes

xxdeathx said:
┍━━━━»•» «•«━━━━┑

🎖️ mal badges
🏠 blog navigation
🏆 graph badges

┕━━━━»•» ☠️ «•«━━━━┙
Jan 28, 2014 2:01 AM

Apr 2011
Why would I call myself an otaku? I have other people to do that for me.
Jan 28, 2014 2:10 AM

Jan 2014
xxdeathx said:

So you are suggesting that everyone here is obsessing over anime?
Better stop projecting on others ;).
Jan 28, 2014 2:20 AM

Nov 2013
*Shakes Head* What kind of decent self respecting person would call themselves an otaku *notices reader's eyes drift towards profile name* HEY LOOK LUPADIM IS TRYING TO STEAL THE MAGIC CRYSTAL THAT POWERS THE MAL FORUMS, SOMEONE STOP HIM!!!!!!!!
Jan 28, 2014 2:35 AM
Grave of Flowers

Dec 2012
TheDarkLordOtaku said:
*Shakes Head* What kind of decent self respecting person would call themselves an otaku *notices reader's eyes drift towards profile name* HEY LOOK LUPADIM IS TRYING TO STEAL THE MAGIC CRYSTAL THAT POWERS THE MAL FORUMS, SOMEONE STOP HIM!!!!!!!!

lol, try saying that after looking at your username
┍━━━━»•» «•«━━━━┑

🎖️ mal badges
🏠 blog navigation
🏆 graph badges

┕━━━━»•» ☠️ «•«━━━━┙
Jan 28, 2014 4:28 AM

Jan 2014
I just love anime and I'm not the kind of person who's that obsessed or let's say a shut-in person who keeps eyes on something most of the time and eats ramen all day long.
Jan 28, 2014 4:40 AM

Jan 2013
oLotusFX said:
and eats ramen all day long.
You mean poor students?
Makomonogatari said:
lupadim said:
And the best part is that no one can prove it wrong
The best part is that you somehow actually exist.
Jan 28, 2014 5:23 AM

Nov 2013
3miL said:
TheDarkLordOtaku said:

lol, try saying that after looking at your username
*clap**clap**clap* Well, well...It seems that someone wasn't fooled by my clever ruse of throwing lupadim under a bus in order to distract your attention away from my profile name an--- OH MY GOD!!! EVERYBODY LOOK!!! LUPADIM IS TRAPPED UNDER THAT BUS!!!! QUICK, SOMEBODY, ANYBODY, SAVE HIM, OR AT LEAST PUT A BULLET IN HIS HEAD SO HE WON'T HAVE TO SUFFER THE AGONY OF CONTINUING THE REST OF HIS LIFE AS THE GROTESQUE, HOLLOW SHELL OF HIS FORMER SELF THAT HE'S BECOME!!!
Jan 28, 2014 5:49 AM

Jan 2014
gstaad said:
oLotusFX said:
and eats ramen all day long.
You mean poor students?

I was referring to a couch potato living on potato chips all day. Sorry.
Jan 28, 2014 5:54 AM

Jun 2013
According to a Japanese person, I would be. But according to me? Nope. Just an average nerd that likes Video Games and Anime. No big deal.
Jan 28, 2014 6:45 AM
Jul 2018
Otaku? I'm the fucking Otaking!!!!
Jan 28, 2014 6:51 AM

Apr 2012
otaking97 said:
Otaku? I'm the fucking Otaking!!!!

I think you could use this name as a pokemon name for the next Generation.
Jan 28, 2014 7:28 AM

Jan 2013
BeatzMe said:
Veronin said:

Quoted for truth.
while i totally agree with everything said here they are also the reason why the anime stays alive cuz they actually buy all the overpriced merchandise. but it would be nice if they instead liked Mushishi/GITS type shows. Meaning we get more shows about adults and less about high school although that probably wont happen anytime soon.
Jan 28, 2014 7:37 AM
Dec 2012
Im sure others consider me as one, not sure about it myself though
Jan 28, 2014 9:03 AM

Jul 2013
For the record, has anybody met someone who was a gamer AND not into anime? Or vice versa?Haven't met one yet.....
Korrvo said:
I like lolis.

I don't like them sexually.

It's hard to not like lolis, their cuteness pander to the same emotions that naturally makes us fathers.

But it's hard to get off to anything that doesn't have any adult women characteristics like large tits, ass, and thighs.

http://imgur.com/qgjKHGn

Jan 28, 2014 9:08 AM
Jul 2018
1L0can0 said:
For the record, has anybody met someone who was a gamer AND not into anime? Or vice versa?Haven't met one yet.....

before i got into anime .. i was a gamer.. call of duty wise competitive or any other game.. and i was not into anime at the time i did not know of it i just never noticed it ... i dont know if il call myself an otaku but i watch anime because its fun... and cause i like it .. nothing more nothing less
Jan 28, 2014 9:20 AM

Mar 2012
I've met some simple minded people who call anyone watching anime, whether it has just only been 1 episode, a weaboo/otaku. It annoys me and in the past I've reacted to it. Now I simply ignore those people.
Kuroookoooooo-chin!
Jan 28, 2014 9:21 AM

Aug 2013
1L0can0 said:

I have, many btw. And i like anime and i hardly ever play games
Jan 28, 2014 9:59 AM

Aug 2013
I would, but I'm a cheap otaku. If you saw my house you would not think that because 2 rooms are covered in anime stuff, and stuff spread out here and there in the rest of the house. I don't read much manga anymore, and I don't buy anime often because I go through it too quickly, so I just stream it on crunchyroll. I don't download it either since I rarely watch a series more than once. I have only 26 mangas, and maybe only have a couple dozen anime dvds, though my husband has decided he wants to start buying anime blu rays when he can find them. But we have a lot of anime merchandise. I counted last year and we had somewhere around 350 figures between the 2 rooms (most of mine are only smaller, my husband has the nicer big ones... and like ame comi and bishoujo) and I like to collect plushies. Still, we have a lot but almost everything we get was quite cheap as we just keep watching for stuff on ebay and passing it up when it goes too high. So we also don't spend "a lot" of money on anime stuff.

1L0can0 said:

Both. I am not big on gaming. I love ddr and I'll play things like halo and mario party if someone asks me to join in, but I would not call myself a gamer. My husband used to be a huge gamer but not so much anymore. He still has several consoles and games and such, but I just don't see him playing much anymore. I also have several gamer friends that hate anime.
JadeQuetzalJan 28, 2014 10:08 AM
Jan 28, 2014 10:06 AM

Dec 2013
Not really. I love animation not anime exclusively.
Jan 28, 2014 10:12 AM

Apr 2012
1L0can0 said:

There are plenty, just look at how popular gaming is, if they all the people who liked gaming liked anime, then anime would be at least 20x more popular.
Jan 28, 2014 10:13 AM
Dec 2013
No, I'm just really passionate about anime/manga but I don't consider myself as an otaku.
Jan 28, 2014 10:18 AM
Dec 2012
1L0can0 said:

Me, currently not playing any games was never a fan anyway
Jan 28, 2014 10:22 AM

Jun 2013
OngPQ said:
1L0can0 said:

Me, currently not playing any games was never a fan anyway

Me neither. And I love anime/manga. I guess I'm not at such a level to consider myself as 'otaku'.
Jan 28, 2014 12:03 PM
May 2013
Maybe. I'm probably an otaku by Japanese standards. lol.

But really, I'm just a fan of anime and manga because I love its distinct style of art. That's all.
Jan 28, 2014 12:12 PM

Feb 2012
Nope, just an anime fan :)
Jan 28, 2014 12:15 PM

Jan 2014
I thought I was one. But when I compare myself and what's on my list... lol Makes me feel inadequate and undeserving to be called an Otaku just yet. ^^"
Jan 28, 2014 12:30 PM

Jan 2014
No, that's really dumb.
I MURDERED OUR ENTIRE CLAN UMAD SAUCEGAYYYYYYYYY UMAD?¿
http://foolishbrother.chatango.com/
Jan 28, 2014 12:41 PM

Sep 2012
I call myself an otaku and a weeaboo with pride, because fuck the haters.

Now if I were to compare my "power level" with "trve otakus".. I'd probably rank pretty low:

I own no actual anime or manga, but I do have a custom-made anime calendar in my bedroom, own two nendo petits (only because I wanted the unique item in the browser game Madoka Magica Online), own both of Death Devil's singles, and wear several "hidden power level" t-shirts from spreadshirt.com.

I do like other things than anime and manga -- in a while I even intend to marathon Metalocalypse (ZOMG WESTERN ANIMATION!11!) after I finish marathonning Red Dwarf. But I'm an obsessive kind of guy -- whatever I'm into, I throw myself right into the deep end. Every October I do nothing but watch horror films, and whenever I'm not watching anime or British comedies, I'm listening to heavy metal.

Oh yeah, I DO leave my home to do stuff with (gasp) friends every now and then!!

So I guess I can't really call myself an otaku. But I do so nevertheless!
UnculturedWhiteyJan 28, 2014 12:46 PM
Never forget, that if you post a topic, you're not allowed to post in it yourself, by order of MAL administration.
Jan 28, 2014 12:52 PM

Jan 2014
if you guy knew how many words that we English people steal from other language you would be impressed :3 30% of English is from french.

i am not otaku -_- don't you say such a word to me. i take offense.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_words_of_French_origin

i don't see why we can't take words from japan knowing that we don't have that many

Anyways i am a nerd or geek, but not otaku.
anime with cute girls is my thing.
Jan 28, 2014 12:59 PM
Jan 2014
No, I'm just a causal fan.
It's harder than it seems, I'm under water in my dreams
I'm in awe, this jigsaw, puzzles not complete
I'm just an idea, nothing concrete
Jan 28, 2014 1:01 PM

Sep 2012
HolyKenneth said:
No, I'm just a causal fan.
HolyKenneth said:
causal
*picks up a pitchfork*
Never forget, that if you post a topic, you're not allowed to post in it yourself, by order of MAL administration.
Jan 28, 2014 1:03 PM

Dec 2013
Gods, no.
Miss me?
Jan 28, 2014 1:27 PM

Nov 2012
Im not sure. Sure i like playing anime games and watching it. But i would be able to replace it with something else.
Jan 28, 2014 2:00 PM

Jul 2013
If you asked me this question 4 years ago? No way.
Now? Very, very well on my way...
Work in progress...
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Why male characters tend to have more interesting personalities than female characters?

Alpha_1_Zero - Today

17 by LeonhartAugust »»
5 minutes ago

» Post the Last Anime Items you bought ( 1 2 )

SpeedyAlchemist - Mar 10

72 by MadanielFL »»
11 minutes ago

» have you guys watched texhnolyze?

brainburger - Apr 21

40 by Kruszer »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

62 by AzafuseKingTora »»
14 minutes ago

» Which, out of all your favorites, would you be least inclined to recommend to others? ( 1 2 )

WatchTillTandava - Today

52 by Lucifrost »»
15 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.