Forum Settings
Forums

You remember when TL Notes were a thing in anime Subs?

New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Apr 22, 2014 6:25 AM

Jan 2014
I really liked them in Prince of Tennis when they were used to explain David's jokes because he would make puns mixing english and japanese pronunciations
Apr 22, 2014 6:33 AM

Feb 2010
Taxi_Commander said:
gamer2710 said:
"Remember"? They're still there, and they still suck. You call the lack of TL notes "lazy"? I call the lack of creativity to get around TL notes lazy. Can't fault the translators if they're on a strict deadline though unless they do shit like the picture Red_Keys posted. I mean, who in the world thinks this is an example of good subtitles?

If you ask me, it'd be unwanted creativity. I prefer to experience foreign media as close to its original meaning as possible, and perhaps learn a thing or two while watching. This is why it annoys me when honorifics are excluded, or Japanese food names are changed to western ones; it's obnoxious.

I'm inclined to agree, though there are really examples where it's unnecessary (like the ones those two posted). Localizing food is just weird for example. As for honorifics, you can hear them anyway why does it matter if the subs write them down unless you're deaf or watching anime muted?
I probably regret this post by now.
Apr 22, 2014 6:43 AM

Nov 2012
For things that can't easily be translated, I think TL notes are fine. The problem with this line of thinking however is that translators seem to think things like "nakama" can't be translated when it essentially means "friend" or "baka" when it's basically "idiot" or anything along those lines.

I think honourifics should never be included in the subtitles either. I think it's one of those things from back in the day when people were just getting into streaming fan-subbed anime and thought it was the coolest thing ever that Japanese people would have a "-chan" or a "-san" attached to the end of their name.
Apr 22, 2014 6:53 AM

Feb 2010
Miraclezify said:
For things that can't easily be translated, I think TL notes are fine. The problem with this line of thinking however is that translators seem to think things like "nakama" can't be translated when it essentially means "friend" or "baka" when it's basically "idiot" or anything along those lines.

Nakama does have a much more complex meaning than simply 'friend' though. I'm glad for that translation by Kaizoku-fansubs back in the day that explained all the nuances of 'nakama' to me.
Apr 22, 2014 6:55 AM

Jan 2013
some gintama subs had TL notes to explain the parodies
Apr 22, 2014 6:56 AM

Feb 2010
TheNaturalPerm said:

I remember that too. Pretty helpful.
Apr 22, 2014 8:51 AM

Oct 2013
When i started watching Natsume Yuujinchou, and i saw TL notes, it also made me wonder whatever happened. Since i never see them anymore with all the new shows i've been watching. I kinda liked and miss pausing whenever i see TL notes. Lol.
Apr 22, 2014 11:28 AM

Jun 2007
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
TheNaturalPerm said:

Why should parodies be explained, though? Did the Japanese audience get little notes explaining what things were referencing? If you were watching Scary Movie 17, would you expect to see notes saying "this is a parody of a scene from Saw 12"?

I can maybe see a justification for notes on references that would be near-universally known to Japanese audiences, but are generally unknown to Western audiences. That would mainly encompass kiddy stuff like Doraemon that aren't translated in English and that Western audiences don't care about. But parodies of other latenight otaku anime? Either you've seen them or you haven't.
Apr 22, 2014 11:36 AM

Apr 2012
Zalis said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
TheNaturalPerm said:

Why should parodies be explained, though? Did the Japanese audience get little notes explaining what things were referencing? If you were watching Scary Movie 17, would you expect to see notes saying "this is a parody of a scene from Saw 12"?

I can maybe see a justification for notes on references that would be near-universally known to Japanese audiences, but are generally unknown to Western audiences. That would mainly encompass kiddy stuff like Doraemon that aren't translated in English and that Western audiences don't care about. But parodies of other latenight otaku anime? Either you've seen them or you haven't.

Or you could try to get off your high horse. So what if the japanese viewers didnt get Notes telling them where the parody is from? Whats that got to do with the TL notes? We are not japanese and if we can have better why not? Im pretty sure not all japanese are happy with that either. Also Gintama is fairly popular and well known chances are people might watch it before having seen quite a lot of the parodied anime in there. Why not provide them with something that could make them enjoy it more?
Jesus Christ, Japan this Japan that, if they didnt make anime manga or games hardly anyone would give a rats ass about japan. Stop obsessing over it, or do you also drool over the US and its people and customs like no tomorrow because Hollywood is in it?
Apr 22, 2014 12:10 PM
Mar 2011
Zalis said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
TheNaturalPerm said:

yet again you only know the us market wey you say west thus shows you bias thus you fail in this debate
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Apr 22, 2014 12:14 PM
Mar 2011
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Miraclezify said:

Nakama does have a much more complex meaning than simply 'friend' though. I'm glad for that translation by Kaizoku-fansubs back in the day that explained all the nuances of 'nakama' to me.

Nakama is Companion simple as that is not deeo but in Japan cuase of the confusian views we hold Friend [ Tomodachi] is not a word we use much
remember friend and friend is one of the five bonds
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Apr 22, 2014 12:22 PM

Aug 2012
Oh boy, this topic again.
Aversa said:
That's just a case of not being the target audience. "Official" subtitles are mostly done by groups based in the US who are selling to the US audience, so naturally the first thing they would use is the US way of life to describe something. You may disagree, but that's how it works in series where the education system isn't a huge deal (which is to say, most of them). You can't expect them not to localize the subs for their audience.

With regard to honorifics, you can't say that something is "correctly" translated just because they don't leave it as-is. While it's easy to leave a TL note, it kind of ruins the experience because dialogue among people in a certain relationship that seems just as natural in English as it is in Japanese (friend, sibling, parent, teacher, upper/underclassman, boss, lover etc.) has to be explained. All they have to do is write the dialogue to produce the same feeling or idea; the literal meaning may change completely, but the concept still exists.

I understand that official subs nowadays still don't get it quite right, but leaving TL notes is not the way I want them to do it. Add to this the fact that official subs translate as a show is airing, so the simulcast subs may end up sounding awkward due to time constraints and due to the fact that the translators never have the complete picture before they localize something. Still, I think people nowadays are too caught up in trivial details that they think a lack of TL notes is a bad sign when it shouldn't be.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Apr 22, 2014 1:34 PM
Mar 2011
gamer2710 said:
Oh boy, this topic again.
Aversa said:
That's just a case of not being the target audience. "Official" subtitles are mostly done by groups based in the US who are selling to the US audience, so naturally the first thing they would use is the US way of life to describe something. You may disagree, but that's how it works in series where the education system isn't a huge deal (which is to say, most of them). You can't expect them not to localize the subs for their audience.

With regard to honorifics, you can't say that something is "correctly" translated just because they don't leave it as-is. While it's easy to leave a TL note, it kind of ruins the experience because dialogue among people in a certain relationship that seems just as natural in English as it is in Japanese (friend, sibling, parent, teacher, upper/underclassman, boss, lover etc.) has to be explained. All they have to do is write the dialogue to produce the same feeling or idea; the literal meaning may change completely, but the concept still exists.

I understand that official subs nowadays still don't get it quite right, but leaving TL notes is not the way I want them to do it. Add to this the fact that official subs translate as a show is airing, so the simulcast subs may end up sounding awkward due to time constraints and due to the fact that the translators never have the complete picture before they localize something. Still, I think people nowadays are too caught up in trivial details that they think a lack of TL notes is a bad sign when it shouldn't be.

defend the whitewashing of culutre CR needs tio die or begin to sub correctly anime is based in japan or most of tahe late night otaku bate that CR subs is so taking out sothing that is a big part of japanese culture makes it less l Japanese

usa uber alles or our view is that that the view both you Majin and zalis have you you thiink naime sould loose its culsute dont watch it

Apr 22, 2014 1:45 PM

Feb 2010
Zalis said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
TheNaturalPerm said:

Don't you know how many references to non-anime related stuff Gintama has? It references old japanese Tv shows or movies, japanese third rate celebrities and tons of other stuff that would seem obscure to most western viewers. I was mostly talking about those.
Apr 22, 2014 1:49 PM
Mar 2011
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Zalis said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
TheNaturalPerm said:

Don't you know how many references to non-anime related stuff Gintama has? It references old japanese Tv shows or movies, japanese third rate celebrities and tons of other stuff that would seem obscure to most western viewers. I was mostly talking about those.

talking to Zalis is pointless

Apr 22, 2014 3:47 PM

Aug 2013
Woah, I actually didn't notice that. But you're absolutely right, OP; TL Notes are a thing of the fansubbing past now. It's really a shame. My guess is it's the result of laziness; not the laziness to put the TL notes in themselves, but the laziness to even fansub properly. Most fansubs nowadays are ripped off of official simulcasts like Crunchyroll.
Apr 22, 2014 5:39 PM

Jun 2007
baki502 said:
Or you could try to get off your high horse. So what if the Japanese viewers didn't get Notes telling them where the parody is from? Whats that got to do with the TL notes? We are not japanese and if we can have better why not? I'm pretty sure not all Japanese are happy with that either. Also Gintama is fairly popular and well known chances are people might watch it before having seen quite a lot of the parodied anime in there. Why not provide them with something that could make them enjoy it more?
Jesus Christ, Japan this Japan that, if they didn't make anime manga or games hardly anyone would give a rat's ass about japan. Stop obsessing over it, or do you also drool over the US and its people and customs like no tomorrow because Hollywood is in it?
Ever heard of "jokes aren't funny if they have to be explained?" The idea (at least as I see it) behind TL notes and translations in general is to attempt to give foreign viewers or readers a similar experience to what the native-speakers viewers had. My guiding principle behind whether to add a TL note or not is, "Would a typical member of the Japanese audience know this because they grew up in Japan?" That allows for TL notes for Japanese linguistic, cultural, historical, and culinary elements, among other things, if the dialogue wouldn't make sense without them.

Higashi_no_Kaze said:

Some of those might be justifiable enough, but how much of the typical Japanese audience is intimately familiar with old TV shows/movies and 3rd-rate celebrities? If the anime creators and directors intended for their audience to understand every reference, why doesn't the Japanese version have hardcoded notes? I bring up the Hollywood parallel because its parody movies work the same way -- general audiences will get the obvious references to other popular works, while only the hardcore audiences will get the more obscure and subtle references.

Aversa said:
A few years ago it was normal to see how a person was called in anime like if someone is talking to an older girl and calls her nee-san the subs would do the same while these "official subs" will go with miss or lady.
Or where a character talking is talking to their sister calling her onee-chan the subs would do the same but the "official subs" will always go with sister.
Official subs (not sure how the scare quotes apply) will sometimes substitute the older sibling's name, as well. But why is it unacceptable or bad to translate sibling terms, while translating parental terms like otousan and okaasan is normal to the point that leaving them untranslated is considered a weeaboo position? While their use for unrelated older individuals can be trickier, I don't see how translating those sibling terms fundamentally changes anything.

FGAU1912 said:
yet again you only know the us market when you say west thus shows you bias thus you fail in this debate
Okay, fine, substitute "The North American market and English-speaking regions" for "Western." You got me there. Sorry for wanting to save a few keystrokes, a concept you're no doubt familiar with. So where exactly in the Western world do Doraemon and similar kodomo-muke anime enjoy widespread exposure and success in the TV, manga, and merchandise sectors comparable to what they enjoy in Japan?

And you once asked "how do we know that they won't be successful if nobody tries?"; some fansub groups have tried with Doraemon, but they gave up after subbing a very small percentage of the episodes because the attention and feedback they got wasn't worth the effort. And if hardly anybody's interested in watching it for free, why should a company take a chance on licensing it. And no North American anime company has the power to put anime into primetime slots on "proper" channels, as you've suggested they do.
FGAU1912 said:
Yet you certainly choose to do it quite often, though the same applies in reverse. Though I wasn't purely trolling you there, as I have included TL notes for Doraemon and similar content in some of my subs in the past.

FGAU1912 said:
defend the whitewashing of culture CR needs to die or begin to sub correctly anime is based in japan or most of the late night otaku bait that CR subs is so taking out something that is a big part of Japanese culture makes it less Japanese

usa uber allies or our view is that the view both you Majin and zalis have you think anime should lose its culture don't watch it
No, I just don't think subs and dubs should be so obsessed with preserving every last bit of culture at the expense of having TL notes every 15 seconds or becoming awkward, unintelligible, or boring. It's possible to make some small sacrifices in the name of accessibility, flow, and entertainment value (because these shows are entertainment after all, not "anthropology lectures on Blu-Ray") while preserving nearly all of the key cultural elements, depending on the series.

As always, if you think I'm an Americentric culture-destroyer, I invite you to check out the subs I've worked on (which include most common honorifics, Eastern name order, Japanese food names, some TL notes, etc.), and judge for yourself if I really believe what you think I believe. But I know that anything more localized than the sample fansubs in this video is inexcusable cultural whitewashing to you. Though come on; if I really were in Majin's camp, why would my sig say what it does?
Apr 22, 2014 6:19 PM
Mar 2011
Zalis said:
baki502 said:
Or you could try to get off your high horse. So what if the Japanese viewers didn't get Notes telling them where the parody is from? Whats that got to do with the TL notes? We are not japanese and if we can have better why not? I'm pretty sure not all Japanese are happy with that either. Also Gintama is fairly popular and well known chances are people might watch it before having seen quite a lot of the parodied anime in there. Why not provide them with something that could make them enjoy it more?
Jesus Christ, Japan this Japan that, if they didn't make anime manga or games hardly anyone would give a rat's ass about japan. Stop obsessing over it, or do you also drool over the US and its people and customs like no tomorrow because Hollywood is in it?
Ever heard of "jokes aren't funny if they have to be explained?" The idea (at least as I see it) behind TL notes and translations in general is to attempt to give foreign viewers or readers a similar experience to what the native-speakers viewers had. My guiding principle behind whether to add a TL note or not is, "Would a typical member of the Japanese audience know this because they grew up in Japan?" That allows for TL notes for Japanese linguistic, cultural, historical, and culinary elements, among other things, if the dialogue wouldn't make sense without them.

Higashi_no_Kaze said:

Some of those might be justifiable enough, but how much of the typical Japanese audience is intimately familiar with old TV shows/movies and 3rd-rate celebrities? If the anime creators and directors intended for their audience to understand every reference, why doesn't the Japanese version have hardcoded notes? I bring up the Hollywood parallel because its parody movies work the same way -- general audiences will get the obvious references to other popular works, while only the hardcore audiences will get the more obscure and subtle references.

Aversa said:
A few years ago it was normal to see how a person was called in anime like if someone is talking to an older girl and calls her nee-san the subs would do the same while these "official subs" will go with miss or lady.
Or where a character talking is talking to their sister calling her onee-chan the subs would do the same but the "official subs" will always go with sister.
Official subs (not sure how the scare quotes apply) will sometimes substitute the older sibling's name, as well. But why is it unacceptable or bad to translate sibling terms, while translating parental terms like otousan and okaasan is normal to the point that leaving them untranslated is considered a weeaboo position? While their use for unrelated older individuals can be trickier, I don't see how translating those sibling terms fundamentally changes anything.

FGAU1912 said:
yet again you only know the us market when you say west thus shows you bias thus you fail in this debate
Okay, fine, substitute "The North American market and English-speaking regions" for "Western." You got me there. Sorry for wanting to save a few keystrokes, a concept you're no doubt familiar with. So where exactly in the Western world do Doraemon and similar kodomo-muke anime enjoy widespread exposure and success in the TV, manga, and merchandise sectors comparable to what they enjoy in Japan?

And you once asked "how do we know that they won't be successful if nobody tries?"; some fansub groups have tried with Doraemon, but they gave up after subbing a very small percentage of the episodes because the attention and feedback they got wasn't worth the effort. And if hardly anybody's interested in watching it for free, why should a company take a chance on licensing it. And no North American anime company has the power to put anime into primetime slots on "proper" channels, as you've suggested they do.
FGAU1912 said:
Yet you certainly choose to do it quite often, though the same applies in reverse. Though I wasn't purely trolling you there, as I have included TL notes for Doraemon and similar content in some of my subs in the past.

FGAU1912 said:
defend the whitewashing of culture CR needs to die or begin to sub correctly anime is based in japan or most of the late night otaku bait that CR subs is so taking out something that is a big part of Japanese culture makes it less Japanese

usa uber allies or our view is that the view both you Majin and zalis have you think anime should lose its culture don't watch it
No, I just don't think subs and dubs should be so obsessed with preserving every last bit of culture at the expense of having TL notes every 15 seconds or becoming awkward, unintelligible, or boring. It's possible to make some small sacrifices in the name of accessibility, flow, and entertainment value (because these shows are entertainment after all, not "anthropology lectures on Blu-Ray") while preserving nearly all of the key cultural elements, depending on the series.

As always, if you think I'm an Americentric culture-destroyer, I invite you to check out the subs I've worked on (which include most common honorifics, Eastern name order, Japanese food names, some TL notes, etc.), and judge for yourself if I really believe what you think I believe. But I know that anything more localized than the sample fansubs in this video is inexcusable cultural whitewashing to you. Though come on; if I really were in Majin's camp, why would my sig say what it does?

Shin chan huge in Spain and Brazil to some extent not seiya big but still like alot of eearly sentai were loved in Brazil too maily latiin world becuse it caught on to Japanese culature before the us

to some exnet im anti TL notes for lingual stuff im anti tL notes hell i my self did a topic about this

Cultural stuff like some gintama jokes im less hard o Tl notes for exmaple but if its a anime/ magna joke [ referance humor most otaku should indeed get the joke ]

manga is a even more sitcky aera of debate for me

very few anime have the fans outside of japan that thay do inside for one main reason and you should know that

and im sorry but how are alot of them japanese words had a proper english trasltion as the tl nots showed so i that i do not get my self if i was a proof reader my motto would be this TRanslate in to your language but keep cultare relted things japanese ilike honoricf for exmaple

non of the untraslated words in that clip are in fact hard to traslate in any way shape or form [ since the tl notes traslated them well enouth hmm

little question for you zalis is this when people say sothing is ot Japanese what ot thay mean

example i noice stuff like lucky star and very japanese aniime like it have been subbed decl accurly Jariko Chie [ yes it maybe be od but few anome older tha it have been subbed] a i bought it up in a topic in old school anime club on here a i was told its to Japanese [ explain what this means plz]
DateYutakaApr 22, 2014 6:34 PM

Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 5 hours ago

19 by APolygons2 »»
5 minutes ago

» Is watching a show for the cute girl weird?

fallout45 - 28 minutes ago

7 by traed »»
6 minutes ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - Today

42 by Kenzolo-folk »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » What is your most common reason for rewatching anime?

MeanMrMusician - Apr 22

36 by bucciest »»
11 minutes ago

» Is there hope for classic super robots?

Timeline_man - 2 hours ago

2 by APolygons2 »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.