Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jan 9, 2014 6:59 PM
Jan 2013
Holy hell what even was that
._.
Jan 9, 2014 7:00 PM

Apr 2013
Watching the score for this anime drop is pretty frickin' hilariou
Kami_no_Kage said:
... So how about that manga guys. Yeah. I'll go read that. Pretend this didn't happen. Yeah. Good day.

funny thing. it's just as bad
Jan 9, 2014 7:00 PM

Sep 2011
Kami_no_Kage said:
... So how about that manga guys. Yeah. I'll go read that. Pretend this didn't happen. Yeah. Good day.
manga is just as bad

Cupquake said:
Watching the score for this anime drop is pretty frickin' hilariou
Kami_no_Kage said:

funny thing. it's just as bad
see i got ninjaed, thats just how bad it is

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jan 9, 2014 7:01 PM

Oct 2011
Already expecing the censorship.
5mins x 12eps? I bet this will end on vol 2 at most.
Jan 9, 2014 7:11 PM

Nov 2012
I was really anticipating the anime... too bad the manga is much better...
I believe that unless you know for sure that you don't like a concept, you should keep exploring it. Whether it be characteristics of people or a genre of some sort, you never know if you don't like it until you've seen quality work corresponding to that genre. Keep exploring until you've found something you enjoy, or something of quality. Then you know what's bad, what's good, and what isn't for you.
( ・ㅂ・)و ̑̑ Everyday life.
Jan 9, 2014 7:11 PM

Jul 2013
Am I the only one who actually enjoyed the first episode? It's only one 5-min episode, and people are judging it like it's the worst anime on the planet. I haven't even read the manga, and I can't wait 'til the next episode next week.
Demi Valentine

Follow me on social media!

Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Jan 9, 2014 7:12 PM

Apr 2013
Demi_V said:
Am I the only one who actually enjoyed the first episode? It's only one 5-min episode, and people are judging it like it's the worst anime on the planet. I haven't even read the manga, and I can't wait 'til the next episode next week.

a lot of us are judging because we have read the manga, which is bad.

And then watched the anime, which is worse
Jan 9, 2014 7:13 PM

Mar 2012
Would've been a lot better if it was longer.

They put censoring on a series mainly about gore...
Jan 9, 2014 7:14 PM

May 2012
Pretty broing, not what i expected.
Jan 9, 2014 7:18 PM

Oct 2012
With the censoring and four minute episodes, I don't even know why they bothered. Did they think people were so desperate for this anime that this was worthwhile?
Jan 9, 2014 7:26 PM

Feb 2008
I know nothing about the manga but I have a feeling this is going to be another 1/10 trainwreck. Abandoning ship now.
Jan 9, 2014 7:37 PM
Jun 2013
Wow I have no clue why everybody was so excited about this...
Maybe horror just isn't my thing.
Jan 9, 2014 7:42 PM
Oct 2013
I didn't really mind it it was pretty good storyline, cant say much about the characters cuz I haven't read the manga :Pc I admit its not something worth watching if its only got a few minutes of it a day and making me wait this long
Jan 9, 2014 7:45 PM

Oct 2012
Dat low budget. Dem wtf's.

Studio DEEN why can't you make all of your anime Hakkenden-style budgeted?
Alone on a Friday night? Remember that DIO did nothing wrong!
Jan 9, 2014 7:45 PM

May 2010
"Episode 1 will be previewed at a screening at Aeon Cinema Makuhari Shintoshin in Chiba Prefecture on December 21, 2013. Regular broadcasting will begin on January 10, 2014."

Now imagine how the people felt after the preview in that cinema xD
Jan 9, 2014 7:49 PM

Jul 2008
Cupquake said:
Demi_V said:

a lot of us are judging because we have read the manga, which is bad.

And then watched the anime, which is worse

What's the point of coming here repeatedly just to talk about how bad the manga is?

There are definitely worse anime out there. Yeah I think making it 5-min long was a mistake and so far it's kind of disappointing, but there's only one episode out and people are already completely condemning it. Chill out, guys.
Jan 9, 2014 7:55 PM

Sep 2013
what the hell :/ lame.
Jan 9, 2014 7:59 PM

Sep 2011
I enjoyed it... but it was only 4 minutes... hard to really say anything good or bad about it.

The worst thing about it so far was it being 4 minutes. What a shame.
Jan 9, 2014 8:08 PM

Dec 2012
At least the red butterflies were pretty to look at! That has to count for something.

Maybe.

I think?

Jan 9, 2014 8:15 PM

Dec 2011
well that was kind of crappy... Will continue on for a bit though.
Jan 9, 2014 8:24 PM

Feb 2013
I hated everything about it. I wrote a review on Pupa, btw.
Jan 9, 2014 8:27 PM

Sep 2013
bastek66 said:
Anyone who had any expectations for this shit was an idiot.

that mean all the world is Idiot.
Jan 9, 2014 8:39 PM
Jul 2018
Urmmm.... that was creepy. I have a mixed feeling. the story is interesting but the anime was not what I want to see. I like the ED though.
Jan 9, 2014 8:43 PM
Jul 2013
To those complaining about the length:

Just wait until the whole thing is released and treat it as an hour long film. Even if it wasn't intended to be that way (or maybe it is), it will probably be more enjoyable. At least that's how I'm going to watch this series.

As for actually judging the contents of the first episode:

I'm usually a big fan of horror, but I thought the horror elements in this were kind of lame. "Cute" things exploding and/or turning "scary" isn't really my idea of a good horror. But then again, I don't think this series has no potential.

Like I said before, will watch it when it's finished airing in one sitting.
Jan 9, 2014 8:48 PM

Jul 2013
Myq said:
To those complaining about the length:

Just wait until the whole thing is released and treat it as an hour long film. Even if it wasn't intended to be that way (or maybe it is), it will probably be more enjoyable. At least that's how I'm going to watch this series.

As for actually judging the contents of the first episode:

I'm usually a big fan of horror, but I thought the horror elements in this were kind of lame. "Cute" things exploding and/or turning "scary" isn't really my idea of a good horror. But then again, I don't think this series has no potential.

Like I said before, will watch it when it's finished airing in one sitting.

My point exactly. They announced the length for each episode in advance, so I don't see why people are complaining. It's just the first episode, and things are bound to unravel in the next 11 episodes. It's that simple.
Demi Valentine

Follow me on social media!

Facebook | Instagram | Twitter
Jan 9, 2014 8:48 PM

Jun 2012
....way too short orz

- I only draw freestyle! -
Jan 9, 2014 9:00 PM

Jan 2008
Well now, that was short, depressing and rather gross, I think I'll pass on this one.
Jan 9, 2014 9:05 PM
Jul 2018
bastek66 said:
Anyone who had any expectations for this shit was an idiot.

Pretty much this

They can save a slight (and I'm talking VERY slight, this is still terrible either way) bit of face if they animate the interactions with the father faithfully. That guy is one of the worst parents in the history of manga.
Jan 9, 2014 9:21 PM
Jul 2012
Only 5 minutes, and I'm at a loss for words.
Jan 9, 2014 9:22 PM

Aug 2013
Just disappointed with the censoring; still don't mind continuing it, though
Lloved the OP and ED, and might as well just pick up the manga
Jan 9, 2014 9:23 PM

Nov 2007
who even cares that it's censored when it's so fucking short.

I can't get into anything that short.

a 5 minute anime is as pointless as it gets....
Jan 9, 2014 9:23 PM

Jun 2013
Well... they f'd it up as expected. No wait I didn't expect anything, but they f'd it up anyway.
Dat crappy backgrounds, 5 min episodes and censoring... why exactly was this pushed back anyway?
Jan 9, 2014 9:25 PM

Jul 2013
Tengoku_no_hakai said:
Well... they f'd it up as expected. No wait I didn't expect anything, but they f'd it up anyway.
Dat crappy backgrounds, 5 min episodes and censoring... why exactly was this pushed back anyway?
I was wondering why too...

fuck dat censoring and why the hell is that dude wearing a hair clip??
Jan 9, 2014 9:30 PM

Jan 2013
Why do people think they messed this up?

Please read the first chapter of the manga. It is just as shallow and crappy as the anime.
Jan 9, 2014 9:32 PM

Aug 2013
SolviteSekai said:

Please read the first chapter of the manga. It is just as shallow and crappy as the anime.

At least the first chapter of the manga made me go "oooh" this just made me go "mehhh."
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jan 9, 2014 9:33 PM

Jan 2013
alinet86 said:
Urmmm.... that was creepy. I have a mixed feeling. the story is interesting but the anime was not what I want to see. I like the ough.

WHAT STORY?

THERE IS NO STORY
Jan 9, 2014 9:36 PM

Jan 2013
xchee said:
SolviteSekai said:

At least the first chapter of the manga made me go "oooh" this just made me go "mehhh."
xchee said:
SolviteSekai said:

The manga is a bunch of poorly defined copy paste characters with gore drawn over them to make people feel sexually aroused.

The anime is a poorly drawn sack of shit with gore drawn over it to make people sexually aroused.

I swear the amount of people who clearly only know the GENERAL IDEA of what Pupa is about who are somehow upset that the Anime is exactly as trash as the manga is astounding.

I honestly see this as a nigh 1:1 adaptation.

The only thing they cut out was like 10 pages of The dad beating the kids and the MC talking about how much he loves his sister.

They wrapped that up with a still of the father in the anime because plot wise thats all they needed to do.

Don't blame Studio Deen. Blame this shit mangaka and the fact that people will watch ANYTHING as long as theres blood and lolicon shit in it.
Jan 9, 2014 9:40 PM

Aug 2013
Well that's weird, I didn't feel anything when I watched it. Sexually aroused? Far from it.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jan 9, 2014 9:48 PM

Jan 2013
This is not a horror series. It is not meant to scare you.

That's the core problem. People seem to think that simply having gore on screen and a flimsy slightly unsettling plot makes the series horror.

If you approach that plot in a sexually driven, comical way it ceases to be horror.
Jan 9, 2014 9:53 PM

Dec 2012
Wait, is this really meant to be guro-fanservice? I thought that was just some inside joke, like when people call Free gay.
Jan 9, 2014 9:56 PM

Sep 2012
Ratohnhaketon said:
Wait, is this really meant to be guro-fanservice? I thought that was just some inside joke, like when people call Free gay.
Jan 9, 2014 9:57 PM

Jan 2013
Ratohnhaketon said:

I should link the pictures of the sister half naked eating the MC.
Jan 9, 2014 10:07 PM

Jul 2012
Well that...kinda sucked.
3 minute long anime with bad pacing, almost nothing to go on character wise, poor animation, and just mindless gore. The monster wasn't even creepy.
Still, the good sides were that the teddy bear was creepy and the art was really cool.
Red_Keys said:
I'm laughing at anybody who defended this manga, telling me that it's more than just shitty fan service, and then go right around and make a big deal that it's censored.

Hmm.. it's almost as if the only appeal this had for people is the promise of gore fan service...

Nah, I think people wanted more, its just the censorship doesn't help things. Censorship is annoying.
Jan 9, 2014 10:08 PM

Jan 2013
Battlechili1 said:
Well that...kinda sucked.
3 minute long anime with bad pacing, almost nothing to go on character wise, poor animation, and just mindless gore. The monster wasn't even creepy.
Still, the good sides were that the teddy bear was creepy and the art was really cool.
Red_Keys said:
I'm laughing at anybody who defended this manga, telling me that it's more than just shitty fan service, and then go right around and make a big deal that it's censored.

Hmm.. it's almost as if the only appeal this had for people is the promise of gore fan service...

Nah, I think people wanted more, its just the censorship doesn't help things. Censorship is annoying.

Dude, the 3 minutes of content in the anime is the first chapter of the manga.

It wasn't cut up. The manga is just that shallow.
Jan 9, 2014 10:12 PM

Jul 2012
SolviteSekai said:

That....would be extremely lame to read if that's all it is.
And its so awful too, because the premise is really cool and the cover looks interesting, but if that's all it is....Man this is a disappointment.

EDIT:
I'm still going to check out the manga because the premise interests me so much and this anime is a huge disappointment, but if that's all it is like you say then...wow. How can someone fail this badly?
Jan 9, 2014 10:14 PM

Jan 2013
Battlechili1 said:
SolviteSekai said:

That....would be extremely lame to read if that's all it is.
And its so awful too, because the premise is really cool and the cover looks interesting, but if that's all it is....Man this is a disappointment.

EDIT:
I'm still going to check out the manga because the premise interests me so much and this anime is a huge disappointment, but if that's all it is like you say then...wow. How can someone fail this badly?

Do you know what the actual premise is?

Because I swear people are really confused.

They seem to think there is a hidden backstory or giant conspiracy.

There isn't. Lolicon incest onii-chan gets turned on while his sister eats him. That's the plot.
Jan 9, 2014 10:19 PM

Jul 2012
SolviteSekai said:

Do you know what the actual premise is?

Because I swear people are really confused.

They seem to think there is a hidden backstory or giant conspiracy.

There isn't. Lolicon incest onii-chan gets turned on while his sister eats him. That's the plot.

I was going by the premise the anime's page has:
"The "life-and-death sibling" story follows Utsutsu and Yume Hasegawa, a boy and his little sister who find themselves all alone. One day, Yume sees a mysterious red butterfly and her body undergoes a strange metamorphosis—into a creature that eats humans. Utsutsu struggles to find a way to restore his sister."
That's what I had come to see. A dark show about a boy who loves his sister (in the "I care about my family way" not in an incestuous way) and tries to find a way to help her after she turns into a horrific monster. I thought it would focus quite a bit on the brother worrying about his sister, show the girl as an innocent kind little girl who's super adorable wandering around and has fantastical things happen to her, and the boy finds out and goes on a dark and dangerous adventure or goes through a lot of supernatural places that are horrifying all in an effort to save his sister just because he cares that much. But lolicon incest vore? Ick.
Jan 9, 2014 10:20 PM

Dec 2012
I've been reading the reviews on MAL, I have to say Pupa being terrible is fantastic if only to amuse me with these Studio DEEN bashing reviews.

@ Solvite - Part of me wants to see now if only to get it over with, but part of me also wants to wait for the anime.

@ Red_Keys - Ugh, it always makes me slam my head into a wall when manga/anime pulls a "Hey look at this cute girl. See this supa-kawaii, moe girl? We're going to make her do terrible things and have terrible things done to her. HAVE YOU SHIT YOURSELVES YET???"
Jan 9, 2014 10:22 PM

Jun 2010
I'll give it 3 eps before I put more concrete thoughts into it. Maybe.
BURSSS BURSSS BURSSS SWAG

-GMCFosho
Jan 9, 2014 10:23 PM

May 2009
The short format will take some getting used to, though from what I'm reading here, they apparently did it justice nonetheless. And to be fair, it wasn't as bad as some people here like to think.

To those wondering why it was adapted into anime: Earth Star Entertainment wants more people to buy the manga, nothing more, nothing less. I don't understand why this is so hard to grasp.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Is Pupa bad because of it's abhorrent themes or was it simply just horribly made?

timboy - Mar 23, 2021

14 by Epiccgaymer »»
Jan 7, 8:54 AM

» [Long] Pupa: a solid 6/10

Barusamikosu - Dec 30, 2023

4 by -DxP- »»
Dec 31, 2023 3:35 AM

Poll: » Pupa Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2014

295 by ruanstarace »»
Dec 22, 2023 4:37 PM

Poll: » Pupa Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Jan 30, 2014

95 by Z3NITH4L »»
Nov 22, 2023 3:46 AM

Poll: » Pupa Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 16, 2014

143 by Nanashi »»
Oct 10, 2023 1:59 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.