Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (198) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Jan 1, 2014 12:44 PM

Aug 2012
Dark_Divider said:
Ditch the earphones and use some great speakers.

Then, crack out a few drinks, throw yourself on your comfy seat of choice, and attempt to enjoy not plastering your face next to the screen to watch stuff.

...or switch back to the laptop.
Jan 1, 2014 2:41 PM
Dec 2013
Ok so recently i became an anime fan and was wanting to start buying anime on DVD or Blu Ray only the ones i really like, but i was told by a friend that the DVD/Blu Ray's don't have subbed intros and all the other pretty stuff that fun sub groups do. Is that true ???

For example i was on rightstuf and it says on special feature clean opening and ending or something like that
Jan 1, 2014 2:53 PM

Jun 2012
I can tell you that's true from my experience. Once bought a DBZ box from Funimation, opening/endings were unsubbed. Fansubs are superior.
Jan 1, 2014 3:17 PM

Sep 2013
All recent anime I've bought on DVD and Blu-ray have subtitled intros and outros (they usually switch between English and Romanji even/odd episodes, or have both on at the same time). If they say clean opening and ending it means there is usually an extra/feature on the disc where you can watch the opening/ending without credits or subtitles.
There's no need for all this tension.
Jan 1, 2014 3:18 PM
SetoMary Fanatic

Jun 2013
Depends on the company who did the official subs i believe
Jan 1, 2014 3:20 PM

Jan 2013
Lol who cares about subbed OP and ED ??
Jan 1, 2014 3:24 PM
Dec 2013
I don't really mind if they have subed openings or endings. I was just wondering thanks for all the info !!
Jan 2, 2014 7:29 AM

Jul 2008
Is there a Site like MAL with Recommendations for movies?
Jan 2, 2014 7:43 AM

Nov 2012
You mean live action? imdb
Jan 2, 2014 7:52 AM

Mar 2012
I haven't tried any of these, but you may try:
Music & Entertainment Rules said:
Movie & TV Lists
IMDb.com
flickchart.com
trakt.tv
Jan 4, 2014 4:39 AM

Dec 2013
I recently realized that on my current pay, that I will never be able to afford the rent in my area. I also learned that playing the lottery makes me sad. I sort of feel like I'm on the trac to nowhere, not to be too pessimistic, but I dunno, I just feel "depressed?" Who knows? When I feel this way I call it a 'Life Irk', what do you think I should do to get out of this funk? How would you deal with my situation, or how are you dealing with your own 'Life Irky-ness'?

I'd love to hear some creative responses,
Your fellow Anime Enthusiast,
Yu-chan

Mod Edit: Thread was merged General Advice.
ThangLongJan 5, 2014 9:15 AM
Jan 4, 2014 8:06 AM
Jan 2014
I was wondering if anyone could help or if someone's experienced the same thing.

I'm not sure if I'm being impatient or paranoid, but I ordered my Tsukiko Nendoroid last week (24th) with Air Small Packet shipping, it shipped on the 26th and Japanpost has it stuck on "Dispatch from outward office of exchange" for the past week.

Now, AmiAmi told me it'd take 1-2 weeks to get here (Here being the US), and it's only been a little over a week, I understand that. I'm just worried because it's not updating and hasn't for a week. I was curious if anyone else has ever used ASP before and how long did it generally take? Am I worrying too much?
Jan 4, 2014 8:19 AM

Nov 2008
Don't use SAL again, it brings tons of headaches, always use EMS and get your stuff within a week (usually 3-4 days).

Jan 4, 2014 9:23 AM
Jan 2014
Is Air Small Packet considered SAL?
Jan 4, 2014 9:42 AM

May 2013
Dark_Divider said:
Have any of you ever tried to switch from watching anime on your laptop/PC to your TV? If so, have any methods helped you ease into it?

check you laptop for monitor or HDMI ports, most HDTV do have those ports. I do have both for mine and I find HDMIs has better qualities but is more expensive. Also check your video card if it could support external monitors, but I guess most of new laptops now can so there's no problem to that I guess.\
ScribeOrigins, MKD 「先生のことが」
Jan 4, 2014 9:47 AM

May 2013
My mom got pissed and said so many horrible things to me like I'm selfish because i don't give money to her, but i'm being honest that my salary could only support myself and she doesn't believe. It hurts my ego, what could be the best thing to do? Seriously, she doesn't seemed like she do understand my situation...
ScribeOrigins, MKD 「先生のことが」
Jan 4, 2014 12:04 PM
Jun 2012
pauro19 said:
My mom got pissed and said so many horrible things to me like I'm selfish because i don't give money to her, but i'm being honest that my salary could only support myself and she doesn't believe. It hurts my ego, what could be the best thing to do? Seriously, she doesn't seemed like she do understand my situation...

try to at least give her a small amount as a gesture? maybe its the thought that counts?
Jan 4, 2014 10:21 PM

May 2012
pauro19 said:

let her understand first that you are honestly short on money. let her calm down first and then the two of you should talk. explain things in a calm way that she'd understand and think that you're really telling the truth. (I'm not sure about this 'cuz I'm still a student, I don't know how to handle things like this but I think this is a good try)
Jan 5, 2014 4:42 AM

Aug 2012
pauro19 said:
In first place, your mom should not be insulting you because you don't have money enough to give her money. She is wrong, not you. BUT, if you do have money to give her but instead of giving her money, you are spending it with selfish things, then you are wrong. And as you have a computer and Internet, I do think that you have money to give her.
Jan 5, 2014 6:46 AM

Mar 2011
Hi there guys n girls!

I would really like to do some voluntary work over the summer. The places I'm choosing between are Nepal and Sri Lanka. They both have their advantages. Sri Lanka has beautiful beaches, Nepal has beautiful mountains. In nepal I would probably go to Kathmandu, the good thing about that is that I'd be able to meet a lot of people my age there (backpackers). In Sri Lanka I would go to this little town called Galle, which would be a lot diferent from a big city.

The work I'd be doing would be either working in an orphanage or teaching English to young buddhist monks.

For me it's really hard to choose because it all sounds awesome to me. Could you please share your opinions on it? And yes I know it's for me to decide and all, but sometimes hearing other peoples thoughts helps me to make up my mind. :)

Thanks!

P.S. I'm planning on going with a non profit organization called RCDP.
Jan 5, 2014 1:17 PM

Jul 2012
MissYuuki said:
Hi there guys n girls!

I would really like to do some voluntary work over the summer. The places I'm choosing between are Nepal and Sri Lanka. They both have their advantages. Sri Lanka has beautiful beaches, Nepal has beautiful mountains. In nepal I would probably go to Kathmandu, the good thing about that is that I'd be able to meet a lot of people my age there (backpackers). In Sri Lanka I would go to this little town called Galle, which would be a lot diferent from a big city.

The work I'd be doing would be either working in an orphanage or teaching English to young buddhist monks.

For me it's really hard to choose because it all sounds awesome to me. Could you please share your opinions on it? And yes I know it's for me to decide and all, but sometimes hearing other peoples thoughts helps me to make up my mind. :)

Thanks!

my advice is to take me with you! ^^
Jan 5, 2014 2:46 PM

Mar 2011
daintybiscuit said:
MissYuuki said:
Hi there guys n girls!

Thanks!

my advice is to take me with you! ^^

That would be my pleasure. :)

I decided on going to Nepal.
Jan 5, 2014 4:45 PM

Jul 2012
I've stunk at math since 3rd grade any tips?

stunk means( I get D's when I try)

Math means(algebra 2)

tips mean( how did you do it, or what tools did you try?)
Jan 5, 2014 4:46 PM
Apr 2013
Coolspot said:

Math means(algebra 2)

By practice. And i mean a lot of those.
Jan 5, 2014 4:47 PM
Mar 2013
Coolspot said:

Math means(algebra 2)

That's rather gay

I just read the textbook and prayed it wasn't on the exam
Jan 5, 2014 10:04 PM
Jan 2014
Nice Post with great information Your service is too good.
Jan 5, 2014 10:20 PM

Aug 2012
Coolspot said:

Math means(algebra 2)

https://www.khanacademy.org/math/algebra

Have fun.
Video tutorials using intuition teach you shit in 10% of the time wasted in classrooms.
Jan 5, 2014 10:34 PM
Jul 2012
Dark_Divider said:
Have any of you ever tried to switch from watching anime on your laptop/PC to your TV? If so, have any methods helped you ease into it?

I use a Plex media server with my Roku.
Jan 5, 2014 10:45 PM

Apr 2012
pauro19 said:

Not sure how it hurts your ego but I guess you can treat her to lunch once in a while? Quality time with mum goes a long way.

Jan 5, 2014 11:32 PM

Dec 2013
How much money is suffice to go to a holiday in say, Korea? No including plane ticket costs.
Jan 5, 2014 11:56 PM

Jan 2014
MisakiYuuka said:
I recently realized that on my current pay, that I will never be able to afford the rent in my area. I also learned that playing the lottery makes me sad. I sort of feel like I'm on the trac to nowhere, not to be too pessimistic, but I dunno, I just feel "depressed?" Who knows? When I feel this way I call it a 'Life Irk', what do you think I should do to get out of this funk? How would you deal with my situation, or how are you dealing with your own 'Life Irky-ness'?

I'd love to hear some creative responses,
Your fellow Anime Enthusiast,
Yu-chan

Mod Edit: Thread was merged General Advice.

Ha, Life Irky-ness is an interesting way to put it. I'm not really sure how to respond to this but I just felt like I should, so sorry if this isn't very helpful.

I guess the first thing I'd say is that I don't think that it's necessarily bad to feel lost. I can probably list a ton of different things you can do to get over this but a lot of that has been repeated over and over again in self-help/motivation books (which don't always work). I think the best analogy I've come across is that some peoples' lives read like a text book and others' read like a collection of stories, the point being: don't be afraid to make big changes in your life and that it's OK to feel disillusioned and lost.

As for ways to deal with it, I'm afraid I don't really have any good answers to that. Personally, I like to lose myself in books/manga/anime/stories. I think one of my favorite moments of the day is when I'm lying in bed but haven't fallen asleep yet. I like to imagine myself in a place that I feel most comfortable in. I guess in that sense, you can use your imagination as a general blueprint in real life to figure out what you need to do to get to that place you want to be in.

On a more practical note, I think a good way to deal with this is to talk with someone whose opinions you care about. The hard part is that you have to be completely honest with them. Being honest is probably one of the hardest things you can do. It's amazing how many things come out in a conversation when both parties are completely and truly honest with one another.

I guess I just want to say that being depressed/lost is definitely a bad feeling, but you can take a positive outlook on it by using those feelings to motivate yourself to take action in your life and change things for the better. Alright, I'm going to stop now because this is starting to sound hackneyed/shallow. Sorry for rambling. Hope you got something out of my disjointed and confusing response.
Jan 6, 2014 12:16 AM

Dec 2012
lol @ this thread

Is it weird I'd rather play with my code then a girl any day?

Jan 6, 2014 12:19 AM

Jun 2013
-Turnip- said:
lol @ this thread

No not really, I'd rather read a book or do a few other things than hang out with anyone most of the time.
Jan 6, 2014 12:21 AM

Jun 2013
Fortheza said:
How much money is suffice to go to a holiday in say, Korea? No including plane ticket costs.

Depends on how long you plan on staying.
Here's a website to help you figure out what the price differences are. Just going to use the U.S. since you don't have where you live on your profile.
http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/compare_countries_result.jsp?country1=United+States&country2=South+Korea
Jan 6, 2014 6:26 AM

Jan 2014
-Turnip- said:
lol @ this thread

Maybe it's because you're gay.
-Having quotes as your signature is lame.

FuckOffTwat
Jan 6, 2014 7:21 AM

Mar 2012
Does anyone happen to know some easy recipes that don't require any kind of heating at all?

Currently, due to several circumstances, I'm living in a hotel room. I only have access to a minibar, and I'd like to eat something different from cereal and canned tuna. Aside from salads and sandwiches, are there any other recipes I could try or am I limited to buying fast food until I move somewhere else?
Jan 6, 2014 7:25 AM

Nov 2013
yazio said:
Does anyone happen to know some easy recipes that don't require any kind of heating at all?

Currently, due to several circumstances, I'm living in a hotel room. I only have access to a minibar, and I'd like to eat something different from cereal and canned tuna. Aside from salads and sandwiches, are there any other recipes I could try or am I limited to buying fast food until I move somewhere else?

Order pizza :/
Thers no other solution
Jan 6, 2014 7:27 AM

Jul 2013
How does one fly
Jan 6, 2014 7:28 AM

Mar 2012
Devastation123 said:
yazio said:

Thers no other solution

Really expensive to do that everyday for a month, guess it's canned tuna for me.
Jan 6, 2014 7:32 AM

Nov 2013
Reciprocal said:
How does one fly

Jump of a 50 floor building and there you go :/
Jan 6, 2014 7:34 AM

Nov 2013
yazio said:
Devastation123 said:
yazio said:

Thers no other solution

Really expensive to do that everyday for a month, guess it's canned tuna for me.

Staying for a month?
Id learn to cook in your place, at least something simple...
Jan 6, 2014 8:35 AM

Mar 2012
Devastation123 said:
Staying for a month?
The problem is the lack of cooking utensils. Without a grill, stove, blender, etc. my options are very limited at the moment.
Jan 6, 2014 8:38 AM

Aug 2013
yazio said:
Devastation123 said:
Staying for a month?
The problem is the lack of cooking utensils. Without a grill, stove, blender, etc. my options are very limited at the moment.
Buy a cook book. You'd be surprised what you can make with ingredients alone.
Jan 6, 2014 8:38 AM

Mar 2012
weak said:
yazio said:
Devastation123 said:
Staying for a month?
Buy a cook book. You'd be surprised what you can make with ingredients alone.
Mmm, will try that. Thanks for the advice.
Jan 6, 2014 8:55 PM

Jan 2013
I'm 18 years old and living with my dad, but I lived with my mom, step-dad, and half-brother until a year ago. Their financial situation is awful, whereas my dad is middle class. My mom needs to move out of her house by the 14th of this month and she's extremely depressed. She's going to move either states away to Florida or back to our home country, Hungary. Living in this area is too expensive for them, so they have to leave. I don't know what to say or do to help her. Any suggestions?
Jan 6, 2014 8:59 PM

Mar 2012
moaru said:
I'm 18 years old and living with my dad, but I lived with my mom, step-dad, and half-brother until a year ago. Their financial situation is awful, whereas my dad is middle class. My mom needs to move out of her house by the 14th of this month and she's extremely depressed. She's going to move either states away to Florida or back to our home country, Hungary. Living in this area is too expensive for them, so they have to leave. I don't know what to say or do to help her. Any suggestions?
Unless you have a job that pays enough to pay her rent, you can't do dick.
I'm dead. Don't come looking for me.
Jan 6, 2014 9:00 PM

Aug 2012
moaru said:
Don't make promises you can't keep.

That includes "I'll go to college and make enough money for us all!" and "Don't worry, everything will be okay."
18 year olds can do basically nothing lately.

...Assuming I understand that your dad is divorced with your mom, the step-dad/half-brother is no longer with you, and that you're dead broke, there's an insanely small chance that your dad will let you move in with him. May as well ask, right? The humiliation from your mom might be too much though.

Or move to Hungary, cause Florida sucks.
Jan 6, 2014 9:01 PM

Mar 2012
MellowJello said:
moaru said:

That includes "I'll go to college and make enough money for us all!" and "Don't worry, everything will be okay."

...Assuming I understand that your dad is divorced with your mom, the step-dad/half-brother is no longer with you, and that you're dead broke, there's an insanely small chance that your dad will let you move in with him. May as well ask, right? The humiliation from your mom might be too much though.

Florida does, in fact, suck.
Your mom's better-off going back to Hungary, dude.
Jan 6, 2014 9:10 PM

Jan 2013
Negative-Travis said:
MellowJello said:

Florida does, in fact, suck.
Your mom's better-off going back to Hungary, dude.
Nah, I don't make promises like that.

My step-dad claims he'd go there for jobs, since he's not getting any here. I don't know how many more jobs there are in Florida for a guy who can work on cars and build/remodel houses than here in the suburbs of Chicago. I can't do anything, but I was hoping I could say something helpful to my mom to get her through this.
Jan 6, 2014 9:16 PM

Mar 2012
moaru said:
can work on cars
Unless he's ASE-certfied in damn near everything, he won't find shit.
Pages (198) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» What are some of your favorite animals?

DoisacChopper - Feb 10

46 by Dracowyn »»
2 minutes ago

» Looking for friends | Cultural exchange and otaku conversations

KMIR - 3 minutes ago

0 by KMIR »»
3 minutes ago

» What jobs do you all have? ( 1 2 )

AnxiousMike - Feb 11, 2023

83 by Dracowyn »»
10 minutes ago

» Do you think there should be an age limit on friendship?

Thy-Veseveia - Feb 28

34 by LoveYourEyes »»
18 minutes ago

» What do you need cash for in your everyday life?

MeanMrMusician - Apr 21

37 by Voila_ »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.